eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya has stuck with me since I've seen it.

As for a slightly less known film, if you're into time-loop movies I highly recommend The Endless.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I highly recommend Incantation if you want to watch a horror film, that's unique that mixes different types of horror.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
skr.jpg

Shin Kamen Rider.
Single-handedly restored my faith in the potential of superhero cinema.

Beyond the Infinite Two minutes. Go in blind.
Fantastic choice that is woefully underseen.

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Let us know what you think

8q3afh.gif

Forgotten was an excellent flick! Right up my alley. It felt like a Harlan Coben adaptation, in all the good ways. Can't really talk about it without spoiling it, but I really dug it and it was very much the kind of thing I was itching for tonight.

I can't quote everyone in the thread but there are a ton of phenomenal suggestions. Most I've seen but still 100% agree with, too, so anyone else looking for recommendations can't go wrong picking a random movie from the thread. I'm going to add the handful I haven't seen to my list, since they're either films I've been meaning to watch or films that, like Forgotten, I had never heard about.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Might be an obvious one, and it's already been mentioned multiple times, but I'll also suggest Poor Things. I've thought about it almost daily since watching it a month ago.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorcerer
Jacobs Ladder
Long Weekend 1978
Straight Story
A Field in England
Dead Man's Shoes
Kill List

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, quoting a few just to give my support!

Possibly Aronofsky's least understood film. Amazing.
Yes! One of a few movies I rewatched immediately after the credits rolled.

Oldboy? Worlds Greatest Dad?
Both great!!

Haha yes! I dug this movie when all my friends hated it.

Annihilation is pretty weird though it's at least horror-adjacent.

Both written by Alex Garland. Both amazing.

I have only watched this once but I think about it often! One of the best films ever.

Watch Miracle Mile, but make sure you don't know anything about it beforehand. That's how the movie is best experienced.
This is exactly what I did to my wife about a month ago, since I had already seen it and she knew nothing about it. She dug it!

Beyond the Infinite Two minutes. Go in blind.
Phenomenal execution for such a tiny budget!

1917 is an amazing piece of artistry.
Yes! Still need to get my wife to watch it, actually!

Silent cinema is a genre that lots of people haven't seen but would get a lot out of if they did.

Modern Times echoes the economic sentiments of today. Sherlock Jr. is a technical masterpiece; even a hundred years later it still feels like a magic trick. Both are absolutely hilarious films that are still very funny today.

Nosferatu is still the best cinematic adaptation of Dracula.
I haven't seen Sherlock Jr., but I agree on the other two. I love that Nosferatu often gets shown with different scores, and sometimes even live bands. I have an idea for scoring it with existing music that I'll knock off my to-do list some day.

Kill Bill vol 1 & 2 - action Tarantino
LA Confidential - Hollywood noir
RRR - hit sensation of 2022 if you missed it somehow, Bollywood insane action movie
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - classic 70s comedy
Starship Troopers - watch this, then go play Helldivers 2
All of these!! Holy Grail is one of my most watched movies ever.

Sorry to Bother You (2018). Definition of a "What the actual fuck" film.
Absolutely yes! More people need to go into this one blind. I saw it at a preview screening with a packed audience, and it was wild.

Children of Men
My favorite movie ever, mindblowing every time.
I adore this film. It's perfect.

I'm a Bad Canadian because I've started this a few times and stopped within 20 minutes. Not because I didn't like it but other stuff kept getting in the way. I will remedy this ASAP.

Anything by Gaspar Noe
I've only seen Love 3D, but it was in a packed theater and it was a super awkward experience. I own Irreversible but have never brought myself to watch it.

As for a slightly less known film, if you're into time-loop movies I highly recommend The Endless.
Excellent film. I had no idea what I was getting into, but loved it once the tension of it all started to build up. I have the score on vinyl :)

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I caught The Favourite recently and immediately followed up with Poor Things (which has appeared in this thread a few times already).

Both are still with me.

Last night I watched The Grand Budapest hotel and whilst it hasn't hit me quite as hard, it has a hell of a cast and was very enjoyable.

---------

Edit: Got me thinking about other double bills which blew me away, and seeing The Tree of Life and The New World together - both Terence Malick movies - was quite an experience.

I think fewer people have seen The New World but it is an absolutely gorgeous movie

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I've only seen Love 3D, but it was in a packed theater and it was a super awkward experience. I own Irreversible but have never brought myself to watch it.

First up, props on the Draft 7.30 avatar.

Irreversible is just brutal. I'd recommend Enter the Void and Climax as must watches. Both far better than Love which is... not very good.

Predestination is a nice head trip that got overlooked by most, so you might not have watched it.

Have you watched most of the Lynch and Cronenberg films? When you do find yourself wanting to skew horror be sure to watch Possesor.

If you want a series, you have to check out Dark on Netflix if not already watched. The OA is pretty batshit as well, and I quite enjoyed the big swings there.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Checked my Letterboxd diary for mind blown movies I recently watched and they're both stunt focused films.

I finally got around to watching Death Proof and I could not believe the driving stunts at the end of that picture. I don't want to spoil it for anybody that hasn't seen it…i went in knowing nothing and did not know THAT was going to happen. Incredible.

I've also been going through Buster Keaton's filmography after Blank Check did a miniseries on him last year. Still holds up after 100 years. Incredible stunts, some I don't understand how they pulled it off.

I would recommend One Week (1920) for a short film (20 min)
tumblr_mrju4upP8h1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

…and The General (1926) for a feature film.
buster-keaton-train.gif

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Some first time watches that have given me that feeling in the last few years:

To Live and Die in L.A.
The Long Goodbye
Cure

All entered the conversation for my all time favourites.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Watch a movie called Upgrade from 2018. Very cool sci fi film that didn't get a lot of attention at the time.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend anyways since it's one of my favorites and I dragged my friends to the theater when it was briefly brought back a few years ago, but:

Millennium Actress

The Blank Check podcast has been going through Satoshi Kon's movies the last two weeks. Tokyo Godfathers is also great, but Millennium Actress makes me cry every time but it's not a downer. Especially great for movie lovers.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Handmaiden
Burning
Love Exposure
Love & Peace (Rabu & Pîsu)
Long day's journey into night (2018). The second half of the movie is magical, the first might be a little boring for some.
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Sorcerer (1977)
Grave of the Fireflies
Joint Security Area
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I love Primer, Coherence, and Triangle that have already been mentioned.

One to watch without watching the trailer is "One Cut of the Dead". A film crew is making a movie but gets attacked by zombies.

Just go watch it. It's amazing.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
The talk about "Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes" makes me want to bring up "River" by the same crew. It's just as creative, and I think it might be an even better movie!

If you're into 90's HK cinema filled with dangerous stunts and wet skeleton puppets, I also highly, highly, highly recommend "The Seventh Curse" by the same director as The Cat and The Story of Ricky.

I also recently watched "Door" (1988), and it's kind of a slow-burn Japanese thriller, but it has a very singular style and vibe that doesn't really feel like anything else, and I've come back to it twice in the past month or so.

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
A few that I've seen recently that stood out:

The Zone of Interest: an unsettling way to tell a holocaust story
Anatomy of a Fall: tense courtroom drama
Sound of Metal: metal drummer whose losing hearing and having to deal with these changes

I've seen Coherence mentioned a few times already and I'll throw another rec on that - was a fun little sci-fi film that didn't get lost in the technicalities of what/why is happening.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For me, The Whale really crescendoed into something amazing at the very end.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Once you've finished watching all the great movies recommended in this thread (+1 to Everything Everywhere and Moon), play 1000xRESIST. It was developed by people who have backgrounds in visual arts (film, dance, theater) and they've created an experimental, dense, multilayered story that uses visual medium as well as dialogue to tell it's story and explore it's characters. Low concept science fiction that touches on themes of heritage, generational trauma, surviving under occupation...

I recommend it because it feels more like an interactive movie or series than a video game - when I finished it, I found myself wanting to sit with it and digest it, the same way I've felt once I've finished a really incredible movie. I think if you're a lover of the visual arts of any kind, you would enjoy this.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Portrait is the single most beautiful film I've ever seen. Great call. My favorite film that year over Parasite. Haven't seen the other one, noted (lol just noticed it's in my "collection", I'll queue it up for a watch).

My recs are:

The Wailing

The Handmaiden

Both 2016 Korean films, both amazing. The Wailing is "horror-ish" but not really horror, you should be fine with it.

I'll go ahead and add

The Book of Fish

Japanese, also amazing, also beautiful.

Last edited:

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Dude watch The Future. It's very unusual, very sad, and I never hear ANYBODY talk about it. Wonderful film that had my partner and I in tears by the end.

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
this month I watched for the first time "the wicker man" from 1973 and can't stop thinking about it since the moment the movie ended