• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I'm back.
Thanks everybody helping me pick out speakers this time it's action flicks.
I ain't trying to sound old at my ripe age of 27 but most modern action flicks are kinda meh. However I've been watching 80-90s action lately and my god they are dumb but so much fun! I loved speed, just watched commando and this is the dumbest movie possible but I loved it from to finish.
So era recommend me any action flick new or old and I'll try and watch a bunch in the next week.
I have con air and the rock on my list.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Shaolin Soccer
0pb8kbr5wqh01.gif

Feb 7, 2022
It was made in the 2010s but has the spirit of 80s/90s action cinema, try Lockout with Guy Pearce. It's Die Hard in a space jail.

Edit: maybe more like Escape From NY/LA... in space.

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
There's a thread recently that ranks their top 45 action flicks. Pretty good list.

Other than that:
Edge of tomorrow
80-90s HK Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
True Lies.

Watch one of the greatest directors of our time work out his divorce through film.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Coming up to its 18th anniversary may I suggest Crank (18 years c'mon, 2006 was 18 yaers ago? Come. On. savingprivateryan.gif)

Dec 30, 2020
God I love Dead Heat. Hey lady, you mind if we ask you a whole buncha questions?

While we're on Treat Williams, you can't go wrong with Deep Rising, one of my all time favorites.

View: https://youtu.be/99elUxiNWVM?si=VhH9n_tlDAFvrafL

Also, Hard Rain. If you've ever wanted to see Christian Slater, Morgan Freeman, Randy Quaid, and Betty White try to survive a monstrous flood in the middle of a botched heist turned town-wide shoot-out, this is it.

View: https://youtu.be/Vsmt4B35hsM?si=soNd0-2MaPVX0HCl

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
The Long Kiss Goodnight - Geena Davis & Samuel L Jackson, Shane Black script. You can't go wrong. Some inventive setpieces. Oh, almost forgot Brian Cox being grumpy

Lionheart - Underrated Jean Claude Van Damme flick. The premise is barebones: he's a street fighter trying to make money to support his recently deceased brother's widow. It goes through all the beats you expect, executing them better than you anticipate

The Heroic Trio - Imagine a hong kong action movie mashed up with an early 90s superhero movie. 3 women team up to stop a villain who has been kidnapping the city's babies. There's an invisible robe, literal superhero costumes; Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung

Speaking of, watch the Police Story movies if you haven't seen those.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I *highly* recommend The Hitman's Bodyguard, got samuel l jackson and ryan reynolds having a good time in a cheesy action flick

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I really dug the Rundown with Dwayne Johnson. Thought it was dumb fun but I'm not sure if it holds up.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Hardcore Henry
The Nice Guys
The Suicide Squad
Kingsman
Con Air
Bullet Train
Smoking Aces
Birds Of Prey
Speed

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Rambo 2 and 3
Cobra
Lethal weapon
Aliens
RoboCop
Starship troopers
Total recall
Die hard
Die hard with a vengeance
The hunt for red October (more of a thriller and not dumb, but worth a watch)
Tango and cash
Death warrant
Sudden death
Legionnaire
Point break
Showdown in little Tokyo
Universal soldier
Hard Target
Cliffhanger
Last action hero
Timecop
Street fighter (van Damme)
Bad boys 1 and 2
Desperado
Assassins
Broken Arrow
Face off
Goldeneye
The Phantom
Eraser
Independence day
Escape from NY / LA
The Long kiss goodnight
The fifth element
Air force one
Us Marshalls
Blade
Deep blue sea
The One
Pitch black
Chronicles Of Riddick
Swordfish

That's enough for now, I can keep going lol
List includes not dumb movies. Just actiony movies in general

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Rambo 2 and 3
Cobra
Lethal weapon
Aliens
RoboCop
Starship troopers
Total recall
Die hard
Die hard with a vengeance
The hunt for red October (more of a thriller but worth a watch)
Tango and cash
Death warrant
Sudden death
Legionnaire
Point break
Showdown in little Tokyo
Universal soldier
Hard Target
Cliffhanger
Last action hero
Timecop
Street fighter (van Damme)
Bad boys 1 and 2
Desperado
Assassins
Broken Arrow
Face off
Goldeneye
The Phantom
Eraser
Independence day
Escape from NY / LA
The Long kiss goodnight
The fifth element
Air force one
Us Marshalls
Blade
Deep blue sea
The One
Pitch black
Chronicles Of Riddick
Swordfish

That's enough for now, I can keep going lol

Oh man now I want to do a rewatch of 80's and 90's action cheese.

Sep 18, 2023
HARD TO KILL starring Steven Seagal

He plays a cop named MASON STORM. Mason Storm is nearly killed in an attack that costs him his family. When he wakes up he goes through a bunch of rehab training with the help of hot new girlfriend Kelly LeBrock, and that allows him to take down the people who killed his family. It is an action movie with great mean action and endearing stupidity and it's 95 minutes long. It also has one of the best lines in action movie history, which I'll reproduce but I genuinely recommend not reading if you intend to watch the movie:
I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator Trent. To the blood bank!

Seagal is a dumb awful stupid man and his blip of popularity is baffling, but this is one of a few cases where it's understandable. He rises to the level of this movie—or it sinks to his level, hard to say which, but the result is a thoroughly stupid, incessantly enjoyable action programmer.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because everyone else will mention the classics and this movie's bad (deserved) reputation as a big blockbuster failure keeps overshadowing it's quality aa a great dumb action movie i will rwcommend you to watch Waterworld.

Looks fucking great even to this day, has big explosions and setpieces (pretty much all of it practical), a magnificent campy Dennis Hopper just commading the screen every time he appears and a no fucks given badass Kevin Cotsner.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Because everyone else will mention the classics and this movie's bad (deserved) reputation as a big blockbuster failure keeps overshadowing it's quality aa a great dumb action movie i will rwcommend you to watch Waterworld.

Looks fucking great even to this day, has big explosions and setpieces (pretty much all of it practical), a magnificent campy Dennis Hopper just commading the screen every time he appears and a no fucks given badass Kevin Cotsner.

I fucking love Waterworld, lol. It's a great action flick.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Timecop: Jean Claude van dam at his Moys hollywood
True Lies: Schwarzenegger trying to hide from his wife that he's a spy
Demolition Man: Stallone as a 90s cop wakes up in the future
Face/off: Travolta, Cage, woo: amazing
Big trouble in little china
Under siege
Executive decision
Air force one: Harrison ford as the president fighting terrorists on his plane
Con air: cage and others as convicts on a plane making an escape
The Rock: cage and Connery break into Alcatraz
Cliffhanger: stallone as a rock climber saving tourists from terrorists
Desperado: Antonio Banderas as an assassin with guns hidden in his guitar case
… man there's so many!

Wallers

May 9, 2020
The Last Boyscout - Bruce Willis in his prime in a Tony Scott film written by Shane Black

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Free Fire.

Two groups of people meet in a warehouse for an arms deal, and a shootout ensues. That's the entire plot of the film. Also has Brie Larson, Cillian Murphy and Sharlto Copley in it.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Check out Running Scared staring the late Paul Walker. It wears out it's welcome, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Taken. It had two crappy sequels but the first one is the reason Liam Neeson is an action hero.
Taken is by far the best one, apart from the the bit where he's trying to buy a shitty karaoke system for his wannabe singer daughter.

Escape from New York
The Rock

Oct 25, 2017
The Hidden
To live and die in LA
Drop Zone
Terminal Velocity
The beekeeper
Ricochet
Breakdown
No Contest
Blown Away
Judgement Night
Hard Target
Tresspass

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Recently I saw the 4 Kung Fu Pandas, which are amazing dumb fun action flicks and :

Action Jackson (1988) - underrated movie about a hard beat cop who is a loose canon. It is considered the last true Blaxploitation movie ever made, but it is more like a fun Arnold Swazenneger movie

Hard Target (1993) - john woo with van damme. You don't need more than this

Argylle (2024) - the plot is SUPER dumb, but the levels of camp in the action scenes in the last part are something to be seen

Road House (2024) - a classic simple movie that knows what is here for: some cool fights

"Movie ahead of it's time" is hardly used so effectivaly than with Last Action Hero

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Wolf Warriors is China's version of a patriotic 80's action movie, it fucking rocks.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
everything i want to mention has been mentioned

even showdown in little tokyo

so what about Chocolate. the martial arts flick not that other one

or lionheart or the quest with van damme?

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Want awesome (and sometimes cheesy) action? Try:
Sudden Death
Speed
Broken Arrow
The Rock
Face/Off
The Long Kiss Goodnight
The Island
The Raid
The Raid: Redemption

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
There's a little Tommy Lee Jones' movie called Under Siege. It's pretty good. Unfortunately, it also has Stephan Seagull in there.

Other than that:

Tango and Cash
Assassins
Lethal Weapon
Bad Boys
Face/Off
Timecop
Bloodsport
Double Impact

Honestly, pretty much every Van Damme movie between 1988 and 1996 would probably count.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
  • Drive (1997)
    Arguably the best Rush Hour. A scrappy, talented team of people had a good arduous time making this buddy action martial arts fun time. Perhaps the only criticism I have is that they didn't know what to do with Brittany Murphy's character (the best character ever) at the end, so they simply didn't do anything. :(

• Who Am I? (1998)
    Arguably Jackie Chan's best.

• Drunken Master II (1994)
    Arguably Jackie Chan's best.

• Streets of Fire (1984)
    The real Joker musical.