• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Disclaimer: This thread is a a reworking and repost of a thread I originally posted on the old forum.

So I just finished the newest episode of Telltale's Batman game and it got me thinking about different incarnations of the Batsuit and the versions I liked the most.

After careful consideration of various suits, I settled on a few favourites.

I quickly decided that I don't care much for some of the more modern designs particularly the one featured in Arkham Knight, it feels more like a suit of armour than anything else to be honest with all the plating and what not, now yes I get why it has to be that is what makes it plausible for Batman to survive he gets into.

After all, plot armour is all fine and good, but it needs to be backed up in some way by a Batsuit that can plausibly protect Batman as well.

But at the same time, I think yes, the suit may be fireproof and bullet resistant, but surely all the weight must add up and really I find it kind of hard to believe Batman is pulling is some of the moves we seem from him wearing the suit.

If anything Batman's suit should be more about light weight, allowing him to move gracefully and the impact it has on his opponents when they see him, when he chooses to confront them directly and also at the same time allow him to be stealthy when he wants to be.

Then running in contrast to the practical elements of the design, there is also what it looks like to us as readers, viewers and gamers. We all have our own preferences naturally, some will love the armoured and ready for anything, loading with tech batsuits. While others like me will prefer a suit that might be a bit more low tech in terms of protection, but offers a very striking image.

There are literally hundreds of Batsuits in an insane variety of colours, some are quite Bold, take the Batman Beyond suit, with it's fiery red Bat emblem, then there are the Batsuits of the 70's which are shades of grey or blue, depending on the artist with the classic yellow Bat symbol. Then we have more modern takes with Batman clad almost entirely and blacks and greys and festooned with armour plating, sometimes overt sometimes more discreetly woven in to the fabric of the suit itself.

For me I have decided that while I can see the need for Batman to be clad almost exclusively in dark colours to allow to easier prowl through the night, stalking criminals in shadows. I find myself going back to older more simpler designs with flashes of colour, obviously today these designs show their age but they strike my imagination more deeply.

Naturally this is all highly subjective and there will be varying opinions of what makes a good Batsuit, based on several factors, such as plausibility, visual design and a coolness factor.

I have selected what for me is my favourite Batsuit.

1 - Batman Returns

Batsuit_(Batman_Returns)

I had a hard time deciding between this suit and the suit from 1989 film by Tim Burton, but after reviewing both films recently, I found the almost sculpted look of the '89 Batsuit to be rather ostentatious for my taste particularly the musculature sculpting. I can see why they did this as Michael Keaton while no doubt a great actor (and my personal favourite Bruce Wayne) is certainly not as physical as the role requires in some key areas, so obvious they designed the suit with this in mind. I also felt that the 1989 suit moved very stiffly and looked awkward in action scenes.

The Returns suit addresses some of these things, by allowing Batman more range of movement by dropping the heavily sculpted moulding of it's predecessor. I also love the all black punctuated by yellow look of the suit, it is both a nod to the classic yellow icon design and the more modern darker look which was becoming more common at the time the film was being, this is a nod to both.

2 - Batman Arkham Origins

fUVdhgM.jpg

This batsuit I have gad something of a U-turn on in opinion, when I first saw it I didn't like it, I thought it was far too bulky looking and it just dudn't click, but after some re-evaluation this has now become overall my favourite Arkhamverse Batsuit.

The suit in Arkham Origins is perhaps my favourite modern Batsuit, unlike it 's sequels this suits is much more low key, still loaded with tech, I actually prefer to that seen in Arkham Knight, as the Knight suit is very heavily armoured in comparison to the suits scene in City and Origins. Which I found mildly laughable that in a prequel Batman's technology level was actually much greater than in games which are meant to take place chronologically after this point.

Back on topic, what I liked about this suit, was that it felt like something Batman would be able to come up with by himself, the suits is advanced but nowhere to the insane level of what we see in the later games, especially as no mention is made if Lucius Fox at this point, although he is likely involved in creating Batman's gear already. The Arkham Knight suit, really tested my suspension of belief on this at points.

3 - New 52 universe Batsuit

vjYpshG.jpg

I had looked at this outfit numerous and generally had a feeling if I'm not sure about this one, but I decided to do my latest run through of Arkham Knight with this suit and since then I have come to love it. It has a modular high tech feeling that I felt was grounded enough to fit into the game, also I love that that this suit has some colour to it, one of my knocks on newer designs, is that go in too much on the whole all black, all tactical thing and every up with suits which are either boring to look at it or just flat out ugly. For instance I love the Nolan trilogy but I do not particularly like the suits in those films are they are very bland too look at.

Thank you for sticking with me through this wall of text of ERA, and please post your favourite Batsuits and lay out what it is about that you love.

Last edited:

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Batman: Brave and the Bold. Blue Batman is best Batman. It is a clear embracing of camp, which is where DC excels. They need to knock it off with the cringe inducing self seriousness of their goofy characters. I would pay all the monies to see someone like James Gunn direct a Batman movie in this style.

plastic.jpg

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
13df7fc5a73da61d1c9eed044d1aa683._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
MV5BYTBiZjFlZDQtZjc1MS00YzllLWE5ZTQtMmM5OTkyNjZjMWI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA1OTEwNjE@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
s-l300.jpg

So simple and elegant in nearly all versions. I cannot wait for a live action movie one day, was hoping for Robert Pattinson to be playing Terry.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yes, I love this suit, Beyond is one of favourite adaptations of the series, I was disappointed by the version in Arkham Knight, it was too heavily armoured for my tastes, something like this I what I want either in a live action film or a game.
Yeah, the Arkham version was disappointing he's so... bulky. Their animated series suit looked so good but Beyond was a huge misstep.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Yeah, the Arkham version was disappointing he's so... bulky. Their animated series suit looked so good but Beyond was a huge misstep.

I really enjoyed Beyond but unfortunately the only way to watch here is on Amazon.

I'm hoping for a Blu Ray boxset like they did for The Animated Series, because I would buy that in a heartbeat.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the movie ones, I really like the Begins suit - when not in brightly lit areas. Love that chunky intimidating neck. I know The Dark Knight's suit was more comfortable for Bale and allowed him to be more mobile, but it was over designed and gave Bruce a pencil neck.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
On the topic of Keaton's physicality: I don't remember where I heard him say it, but I recall Burton saying he chose Keaton in part because he seemed like the kind of guy that would need a crazy suit to look intimidating.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's more of personal style twist on the standard for the era, but Norm Breyfogle's take with the long ears, cape that drifted between a clinging wrap around of a bat's leather wings to a billowing near-parachute, to the little points he gave the shoulders and the use of spotted blacks. I'll admit there's some nostalgia in there but it will always be my favorite rendition of Batman.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
On the topic of Keaton's physicality: I don't remember where I heard him say it, but I recall Burton saying he chose Keaton in part because he seemed like the kind of guy that would need a crazy suit to look intimidating.

Keaton is definitely intense enough and dark enough to play the psychologically unhinged side of Batman/Bruce's persona, but yeah he definitely falls short on the physical side of things.

In other portrayals I always find it funny in scenes where Bruce somehow ends up shirtless while not in costume and nobody ever seems to noticed that he is jacked. A good casual business suit might hide the muscle mass well, but kinda hard to not notice it if he is shirtless.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
For films, the Begins suit is my favourite. The side profile of the cowl is so intimidating. The logistics of how it was built in fiction made it feel so tangible. It's felt like such a personal creation of Bruce. It also had the best Bat Symbol of all the live action suits.

4328274-9221626133-batma.jpg

Last edited:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I feel like his Bronze Age suit doesn't get enough love these days.

A508111-C-FB30-4-B2-A-A8-A6-FCA59013-D41-A.jpg

E265-D55-A-AF61-498-F-95-B0-61-A0-BAA1-C39-C.jpg

The contrast between the blue highlights and the black shadows of some Batsuits is something that I have always loved. Even though the Batman Returns suit is completely black, this effect is emulated in a number of shots throughout the movie with the use of blue-tinted lighting/color grading.

7-A68-EDA3-5023-48-E1-95-BC-32584-E0-AAA56.jpg

In BTAS, the use of shadow is so heavy that the color contrast is flipped, where the cape and cowl are almost always pure black with occasional blue highlights, harkening back to some of his earliest appearances in Detective Comics. It is maybe the one thing I missed most from the TNBA.

2-CE010-AF-A655-43-A5-9955-FE44-A3-C8973-E.gif

The mercifully little I have seen is more than enough for me, thanks.

Batman and Robin is amazing when watched with friends (and maybe some beer). Seriously can't recommend it enough. One of my all time favorite viewing experiences.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Of the movies? Probably returns. For comics I really liked the newer suit with the yellow outlined symbol from Tom King's Run. Norm Breyfogle's bat is iconic and so is Jim Aparo's.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It might be Enrico Marini's depiction of the Batsuit.

X7ORK80.jpg

I agree that the Arkham Origins suit is one of the best modern batsuits, too.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
+1 that Arkham Origins one. It would look really good on screen too.

I personally really like the Sonar Suit from Forever and the Batsuit from Begins as well

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
This design by Dan Mora is my favourite.
tumblr_nvate5IFHR1teto02o1_1280.jpg

If it has to be something official, add me to the list of people picking the classic suit as drawn by Norm Breyfogle.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Beyond stealth/wing suit. No capes, all tech.

batman_beyond_.jpg

tumblr_mrn0ta9cvk1qfoasdo1_500.jpg

This. I've never been a fan of roided-up Batman so stuff like Arkham Asylum just looks gross to me. The Beyond suit looks nice and sleek and it fits with a younger Batman who isn't as obsessively dedicated as Bruce, letting the tech do most of the heavy lifting.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
scale_600

Arkham Knight's take on the '89 suit was so good I never took it off.

But a very solid 2nd place has to go to the classic, specifically the Neal Adams interpretation.
Neal-Adams-Signed-Original-Art-8-5-x-11-Full-Color-Batman-Lightning-Drawing-COA-01-hqcs.jpg

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I feel like his Bronze Age suit doesn't get enough love these days.

A508111-C-FB30-4-B2-A-A8-A6-FCA59013-D41-A.jpg

E265-D55-A-AF61-498-F-95-B0-61-A0-BAA1-C39-C.jpg

The contrast between the blue highlights and the black shadows of some Batsuits is something that I have always loved. Even though the Batman Returns suit is completely black, this effect is emulated in a number of shots throughout the movie with the use of blue-tinted lighting/color grading.

7-A68-EDA3-5023-48-E1-95-BC-32584-E0-AAA56.jpg

In BTAS, the use of shadow is so heavy that the color contrast is flipped, where the cape and cowl are almost always pure black with occasional blue highlights, harkening back to some of his earliest appearances in Detective Comics. It is maybe the one thing I missed most from the TNBA.

2-CE010-AF-A655-43-A5-9955-FE44-A3-C8973-E.gif

Batman and Robin is amazing when watched with friends (and maybe some beer). Seriously can't recommend it enough. One of my all time favorite viewing experiences.

I am glad you enjoyed it, but I am quite happy not seeing them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I love the 89 Batman suit just a tad over The Animated Series and Batman Begins look despite the fact that Keaton couldn't turn his head, and he had to take it off almost completely whenever he needed to piss.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah Arkham Origins was dope.
8oaOE7u.png

Also shoutout for Batman Beyond suit on Arkham Knight
maxresdefault.jpg