TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Empire of the Sun is worth checking out. It's more of a period piece than a proper war movie, but it does offer a glimpse of the war in China (and a breakout performance from Christian Bale).

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Come and See (1985) if you're brave enough.
Ivan's Childhood (1962) if want a more artsy view.
Schindler's List (1994) if you want to cry.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The Human Condition trilogy

And Son of Saul if you're ready to be destroyed by a holocaust story

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Memphis Belle (1990) is always a great time and hasn't been mentioned yet. Much, much more to follow in a later edit.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Letters_from_Iwo_Jima.jpg
So damn good

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
The Story of G.I. Joe (1945)

It's a WWII movie that was made during WWII. While it doesn't have the effects of modern war movies, it still holds up.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Saving Private Ryan is up there. Saw it in the theater way back when; that opening scene was INTENSE on the big screen.

Das Boot is great.

Shout out to Band of Brothers, even though it's a show.

For a something a little different, I highly recommend "Conspiracy," with Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci. Excellent, dialogue focused movie that's sort of like a play in that it takes place almost entirely in one house. It's about the Wannsee Conference of 1942.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Downfall.

The acting from Bruno Ganz as Hitler was some of the best acting I've seen. The film is also different from most WW2 movies as it's from the perspective of not only the dying, Nazi regime, but also the citizens of Berlin during the chaos and bloodshed of the Soviet invasion. A truly fantastic movie.

Saving Private Ryan is a close second.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll even settle for good movies set during WWII!

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Best overall: Come and See (1985)
Best in English language: Twelve O'clock High (1949)

Note that these recommendations aren't for those who are looking for a "fun time" watching a war movie. War is actual, real-life hell and, IMO, shouldn't be depicted with "entertainment value" in mind.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Older movies are always important, but especially so for this genre. These are the movies people saw immediately following the war. It is important to see depictions of the enemy as well as how the boots on the ground perspective was told in the various stages and theatres of WW2. Later movies will be written and star actors that were actually in the war.

I watched war movies in December. I sorted my watch list from then and then edited out all the WW1, Korean, and Vietnam films and this is the list I came up with. I also took out the vast majority of the blatantly obvious choices that will be suggested over and over by younger viewers. I was left with the following. I put a notation next to the ones that I thought were especially interesting or thought they deserve extra attention. These movies cover the war from the ground, sea, and air. Hell, these can be further divided into subgenres for frogmen, submarine warfare, and POW movies.

Battle of the Coral Sea (1959)
The Frogmen (1951)
In Harm's Way (1965)
Is Paris Burning? (1966) -This about the underground soldiers of Paris who aided allies and performed gorilla attacks. (Intermission at 2hr mark!)
King Rat (1965)
The Last Blitzkrieg (1959) - Told from the side of Grmans who perform undercover ops vs the Allies. A rare view of WW2 and weird to see the main character killing allied soldiers left and right.
Merrill's Marauders (1962)
The Negro Soldier (1944) - US War Department's documentary focusing on the contribution of blacks during WW2. Super interesting stuff here.
None But The Brave (1965) - My favorite WW2 movie of this era. American & Japanese soldiers are stranded on an island and have to work together. The ending was fucking crazy. The movie treated the Japanese with dignity and respect.
Operation Bullshine (1959) - Lighthearted Comedy that I enjoyed. May have had a few song & dance routines lol.
Play Dirty (1969)
Raid on Rommel (1971)
Retreat, Hell! (1952)
Sailor of the King (1953)
The Seas Shall Not Have Them (1954)
Sink The Bismark (1960)
Storming Juno (2010) - Canadians on D-Day
The Bridge at Remagen (1969)
The Wackiest Ship in the Navy (1960)
They Were Expendable (1945)
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Torpedo Run (1958)
Where Eagles Dare (1968)
Why We Fight: The Battle For Russia (1943) - US Propaganda film shown to soldiers. Does not pull punches. Terrible, real footage.
Yesterday's Enemy (1959) -What would you do in this situation? type of movie. Makes you question your morals during war time.
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Ambush Bay (1966)
Battle of Britain (1969)
Battleground (1949)
Beachhead (1954)
Big Red One (1980)
Bombardier (1943)
Bon Voyage (1944)
Fat Man & Little Boy (1989) - Dramatization about the process behind the creation of the atomic bomb.
Fighting Seabees (1944)
Great Raid (2005)
Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
Kelly's Heroes (1970)
The Cut-Throats (1969) Pure schlock with tons of explicit nudity - part of the sexploitation craze of the time and worth seeing for a peek into that genre alone
Guns of the Navarone (1961)
12 O'clock High (1949)
A Midnight Clear (1982)

Edit: Another interesting perspective into this era is the movies that were made leading up to and including war time. These were the movies that soldiers would frequently be shown as a form of rest and relaxation. It's odd to see movies of that time and remember that a soldier as likely watching it the day before heading out to D-Day or a few days after returning from horrible front line battles.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So tonight I'm going to the gym, getting a big ass pizza, some beers and I'm going to watch WWII movies.

But I want the best ones. I want to be completely immersed in 1939 - 1945!

No holding back any punches. New movies, old movies, I don't care, just the bes ones!!!!!!!!

EDIT: lowering the bar to movies set during WWII even!
Come And See if you can handle hell through a child's perspective.
MV5BMTMzNDA0MjA4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI2NzAzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Thin Red Line if you're up for a philosophical and poetic perspective on WW2. Its setting and themes stand out amongst other WW2 movies. Absolutely stunning cinematography, as is usual for Malick films.
tumblr_o140a0Dlbg1rwssmro3_500.gifv

Ivan's Childhood is a must, especially if you've never seen a Tarkovsky film.
giphy.gif

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Pearl Harbor. Although I recommend just reading Ebert's review of the movie rather than watching the movie itself

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go with one of my favorite movies as a kid, Battle of Britain (1969). George Lucas borrowed scenes from this movie for the Death Star battle scene at the end of episode 4.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
The Thin Red Line for me. Malick at his best. Criterion's Blu-ray is amazing if you get the chance to check it out.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is tough, but my favorite is probably Das Boot.
I think that Saving Private Ryan is laughable garbage.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Come and See and The Thin Red Line have really stayed with me.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Come and See. Not only one of the best WW2 films, but one of the best films ever made in general. It's tough to watch though.

come-and-see-restoration-a.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
All the obvious choices have been mentioned so I'll add two left-of-center, not battle focused picks:

aos.jpg

Army of Shadows, about French Resistance fighters(this was mentioned earlier but more people need to see it)

and

act.jpg

A Canterbury Tale, the idiosyncratic masterpiece of The Archers.