• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
cool well uh you're running outta time so get on it

Oct 25, 2017
You will be picking up a PS5 from the store before you know the price, they'll charge your credit card afterwards when they finally confirm the price.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
It's gonna be announced in august at the State of Play with the console launch line up too.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Probably when they announce the event in August, they will say ahead of time that pre-orders will open following the event.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
ezgif.com-add-text.gif

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
2020 has enough uncertainty already, if both MS and Sony know when the dates are and aren't dealing with some sort of delay issue--- throw us a freakin' bone already

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people legitimately thought Sony was going to stealth drop this shit without even a hint of buildup. It makes zero sense.

Like, do we not understand how marketing works? At all?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ban Roberto. Lmao. And of course they would give people at least a week or two heads up before opening up pre-orders. It's absolutely insane when stuff like that has always been bog standard.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I fully expect all of this stuff to be revealed at the August thing they have coming up. Just be patient, people asking for shit constantly doesn't make it get here faster, just like watching a clock doesn't make time go faster.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony tomorrow: "We told you guys we would give you advance notice and we tweeted at the time you were sleeping in your region that pre orders would open the moment you start your shift at work so what's the big deal?"

Joking aside, I just hope its before the end of this month. I want to secure my pre order asap.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they'll announce the August event a week in advance and let people know it'll include price / launch details and that pre-orders will open at the end of the event.

AstoundingFox

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the fact that their wallets aren't quite ready for preordering the PS5 yet. In my opinion: The more time, the better.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
You will be picking up a PS5 from the store before you know the price, they'll charge your credit card afterwards when they finally confirm the price.
You could put a deposit down, perhaps, but no retailer could get away with a straight-up "we don't know how much this'll actually cost or when we can get it to you" preorder. Beyond the fact that it's probably illegal, it's a nightmare for literally everyone involved (consumers, retailers, credit card processors, etc.).

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Why did anyone expect expect they'll drop the price and preorder info before their next big show?

You have to show something exciting just before you announce how much it'll cost. If it's expensive, you'd at least soften the blow with the games, if it's cheap it'll look like a great deal. On its own with only what they've shown you're only gonna get endless chatter without solidifying your value propisition.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
Ban Roberto. Lmao. And of course they would give people at least a week or two heads up before opening up pre-orders. It's absolutely insane when stuff like that has always been bog standard.

Wasn't true current gen - prices were announced at E3 and pre-orderable (at least in the UK) within a day, there was no week or two notice.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't true current gen - prices were announced at E3 and pre-orderable (at least in the UK) within a day, there was no week or two notice.
You're right about that but we had at least some notice. Not just an immediate drop everything. In general companies are good to give some notice.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I actually already have a brand new working PS5 in my home right now, I just haven't been able to buy it yet. So I haven't used it, cuz that would be unfair to Sony, and just not right.

C'mon Sony, tell me when I can give you my money!

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Thinking, Sony will go radio silent next week, watching what MS does, and then the week after that announce August state of play, where we'll be getting price.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Nice. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the fact that their wallets aren't quite ready for preordering the PS5 yet. In my opinion: The more time, the better.

That's why it's good for the customer when pre-orders are paid on delivery, not before, like it's always been here in Finland. That's also why I've been able to pre-order mine months ago. They just replace the placeholder price when it's announced.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Giving people plenty of advanced notice could be a shit show too. I could only imagine people lining up at the stores if there's a start time and date.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
They want to make sure a good number of them can get stacked onto a palette in the back of a warehouse in New Zealand so an employee can start a concern trolling thread about PS5 not selling.

AstoundingFox

Oct 26, 2017
That's why it's good for the customer when pre-orders are paid on delivery, not before, like it's always been here in Finland. That's also why I've been able to pre-order mine months ago. They just replace the placeholder price when it's announced.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it works the same way here in USA depending on the retailer. Amazon is usually my go-to for console preorders. I just like to know for a fact I'll have the money beforehand for peace of mind.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it works the same way here in USA depending on the retailer. Amazon is usually my go-to for console preorders. I just like to know for a fact I'll have the money beforehand for peace of mind.

Doesn't sound like it.

You could put a deposit down, perhaps, but no retailer could get away with a straight-up "we don't know how much this'll actually cost or when we can get it to you" preorder. Beyond the fact that it's probably illegal, it's a nightmare for literally everyone involved (consumers, retailers, credit card processors, etc.).

There's just 999€ placeholder price at the local retailers, which will be adjusted when the official price is announced. I preordered mine from one of them already in February.

As for the money, I've paid most of my consoles with tax returns, that used to come conveniently around the launch dates. Now it comes in August, so I need to save it until then.