SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a clip of Ready Player Two. That book is so terribly written it makes me realize my concerns about "not being good enough" were nuts. Someone roasting it...makes perfect sense, lol.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a bunch of clips of that horrible Artemis Fowl disney plus movie day one on twitter
Same with games
Movies usually don´t have spoiler clips in early reviews because you can´t get those clips legally, but I saw a ton of spoilery clips of people making fun of bad netflix movies
Again. Not a good comparison. All of those posters should be hit with a DMCA. If the law doesn't work for everyone, it works for no one.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
There is a tacit agreement between professional reviewers and creatives to be friendly with each other.

No.
What?
No.

You dont see people the week a movie comes out using handy cam footage of the movie to not say anything other than look at how bad this is which is equivalent of this.

Reviews often use footage from the things they're reviewing. Even the week it comes out.
They are under no obligation to speak kindly of the work in question. Negative, jokey criticism is still criticism.

Unless you're making the argument that reading that twitter thread is the equivalent of reading the book, then it is not piracy and does not warrant a DMCA.

Now, you can dislike her criticism, and criticize it itself, but it is still protected under fair use.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
that's not a good comparison. I've never watched a movie review with clips of the film that spoiled it that weren't already released by the studio. I agree it's crap, but everyone deserves equal treatment under the law. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope.
No, normal movie review they can't get the clip legally, so that's why they don't put it in there. They within their right to put it in there like this review

They just can't find the good rip so they don't, but if they can, they will, like this review right here

She literally going scene by scene. And Disney doesn't give a fuck, because it's fair use, they are criticizing shit, not making an illegal copy.
Yeah, for people to claim to hate the books so much, they sure seem get worked up over absolutely nothing.
This sentence makes no sense. People hate the book so they aren't supposed to be worked up? Is this sarcasm?

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I mean, it couldn't be that we just like casually dunking on RPO (and its defenders). Nah, we're just so consumed with righteous fury and jealousy at its success. It lives rent-free in our heads.

Kinda fitting that the biggest proponents of a novel series about gaming spew out canned lines like NPCs.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't read RP2, but from the excerpts in this thread I don't see anyone alleging about transphobia or misogyny, maybe I'm missing it. I'm referring to the pop culture references that seem to be what most people are complaining about in this thread.

There's another RP2 thread with a different account tweeting passages as well, some of which are of that nature. The first book had it too.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it couldn't be that we just like causally dunking on RPO (and its fans) as opposed to being so consumed with fury and jealousy at its success.
The only time I ever think about RPO or Cline are when someone creates a thread about them. It's still weird how many people are willing to go to bat for such a poorly written book, full of misogyny and transphobia. Also weird seeing so many corporate apologists defending blatant misuse of DMCA, for obvious fair use criticism.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read RP2, but from the excerpts in this thread I don't see anyone alleging about transphobia or misogyny, maybe I'm missing it. I'm referring to the pop culture references that seem to be what most people are complaining about in this thread.
Even RP1 having misogyny moments in it, Or did you miss all the casual sexist bullshit the main character spout when he talks about women?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
tOHOL0o.jpeg
I have almost achieved self-awareness, Sensei.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
There was a passage I saw where the protagonist pats himself on the back for not being transphobic seemingly unprompted

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Her quoting whole passages is fair use. I find it ironic so many on here would jump on it being a no go when they wholesale quote entire articles as their OP and think nothing is wrong with that. But I guess since she made fun of nerd man her punishment is deserved?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

People were posting the transphobic and misogynist shit in RP2 in the other thread, and RP1 had tones of it as well. Again, I ask, is that us getting worked up over "absolutely nothing?"

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
that's not a good comparison. I've never watched a movie review with clips of the film that spoiled it that weren't already released by the studio. I agree it's crap, but everyone deserves equal treatment under the law. Otherwise it's a slippery slope.

Again. Not a good comparison. All of those posters should be hit with a DMCA. If the law doesn't work for everyone, it works for no one.

Then you need to watch move movie reviews. Under fair use, the law allows you to use excerpts from the content you are criticizing. For movies, this includes clips that you make yourself.

Now, you shouldn't break the law to get a copy, but so long as you acquired something legally, you're good to go.

This is why movie reviewers only use studio provided clips for theatrical reviews. Typically, they are the only content that is made available in the press kits before release (and screeners are often watermarked with your name, so they don't make for good screenshot/clip use).

But if you're reviewing content on a streaming service, disc, broadcast, etc.? Feel free to clip and use bits to illustrate your points. That's what fair use is meant to enable.

Yeah, for people to claim to hate the books so much, they sure seem get worked up over absolutely nothing.

DMCA abuse is not "absolutely nothing."

focusedmaple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever understand this. Do they expect a pat on the head for being contrarian?

It's the attention.

Really weird seeing this anti-fair use stance (from people who are clearly not lawyers) on a gaming forum. What is Twitch? What is most gaming-focused media if not a clear argument for the legitimacy of fair use?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Nah, I'm betting this is Cline pulling an Addison Cain.
I eagerly await Lindsey's video on this debacle.

Edit: Also, I am really curious why people are jumping to the defense of this by claiming its not fair use or that being mean isn't review and never batted an eye and similar terribly written work like Twilight and 50 Shades got lambasted.

I wonder what the difference is?!

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never read the book or watched the movie.

Every time I heard or read an except of the book detailing the fellatio of nerd culture I had to NOPE the fuck out.

I just can't handle that level of cringe.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a grumpy old man and anything that even slightly embraces nerd culture instead of treating it like it should be as a secret shame, makes me want to die.

That movie was the fucking worst.

Reading those passages though, it's really inspiring me to finally write a book, because apparently fucking anyone can do it.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Sorry. I'd be pissed too. Even if it's a piece of shit. Think if someone did that for until new GoT book. Everyone would be angry.
Doesn't matter, it's critique, protected by fair use. I could bring up any GOT book right now and do this to it via live twitter feed, and although fans would probably hate my opinions, it would still be protected.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Look. If you are posting whole passages on Twitter you deserve to get DMCA'd.
Am I wrong?

lol, what the fuck? Even putting aside fair use.. "deserve"? I see people sharing passages on Twitter all the time, and no, that doesn't warrant DMCA shenanigans. It doesn't take away from the experience of actually reading the book, it makes the conversation around a given book or quote or whatever much better, and it's free advertising. Above all else, no, whatever rights or privileges creators have, there is nothing at all malicious about "posting whole passages," and thinking otherwise is some serious Brain on Capitalism shit.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious Cline is just a thin-skinned dumbass. No need to frame this any other way.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I'm a grumpy old man and anything that even slightly embraces nerd culture instead of treating it like it should be as a secret shame, makes me want to die.

That movie was the fucking worst.

Reading those passages though, it's really inspiring me to finally write a book, because apparently fucking anyone can do it.

Well I don't think there is anything wrong with Nerd culture but Ernest Cline has certainly given Nerd culture a bad name.

I don't hate pop culture and I am a movie nerd myself but honestly the writing and the main character of RPO Wade Watts is just insufferable.

He is a horrible person and a bit of a creep.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I eagerly await Lindsey's video on this debacle.

Edit: Also, I am really curious why people are jumping to the defense of this by claiming its not fair use or that being mean isn't review and never batted an eye and similar terribly written work like Twilight and 50 Shades got lambasted.

I wonder what the difference is?!

Remember when questioned the absolutely loud bashers of Twilight were like "Well, it's bad literature not suitable for young girls!" As if they knew what girls needed to read.

That's definitely it.

Last edited:

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying this isn't Fair Use, what about 'Let's Play's? Or Giant Bomb Endurance runs, or just Quick Looks? I mean, what about all of Twitch?

She didnt post full pages, she underlined excerpts and posted pictures. If you go through her whole thread, you probably wouldnt get more than 10 pages from the book. Why does typing it make it ok instead of just posting the picture? Each tweet she posted has criticism towards the passage that is inserted, they are linked. Would it be ok if she read it out loud and posted that recording? What if it was a video over her shoulder so you can see the page she is reading, reading the book excerpts out loud? If she had a digital book and copy and pasted, would that be ok?

The pictures are actually pretty relevant to her criticism, since it puts the criticism in context. It also prevents anyine from trying to claim she mistyped, or didn't provide the whole passage when criticisng the work.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting the passages by retyping them is one thing. Actually posting images of the book itself, close to whole pages pushes you into redistribution of the product territory I think. Quality of the book being it's own discussion I'd DMCA that as well. Kind of how if you're reviewing a show or movie you can only post so much of it or expect a take down as well.
There's nothing really copyrightable about something like a page layout unless it is remarkably unique, so there is functionally no difference between quoting a passage here vs. posting an image of the passage within the book.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never read his first book, I just knew it was like all about nostalgia. But the prose. The prose hurts me.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't think there is anything wrong with Nerd culture

Gamer Gate

I usually don't judge people by their consumption of media, but if I knew anyone who unironically liked this shit, holy fuck

I can forgive it if they liked the book back in 2011, before the true hideousness that is nerd culture reared its ugly head for all to see. But for anyone defending it now in 2020, yeah...no.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't judge people by their consumption of media, but if I knew anyone who unironically liked this shit, holy fuck

Ernest Cline is a terrible artist and should be inspiration for people to do their own shit because even this butcher of language and the concept of art made it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I saw a bunch of clips of that horrible Artemis Fowl disney plus movie day one on twitter
Same with games
Movies usually don´t have spoiler clips in early reviews because you can´t get those clips legally, but I saw a ton of spoilery clips of people making fun of bad netflix movies
Yeah, and I've seen Twitter threads with clips and images by critics for Mulan and any other films that came out on VOD relatively soon to cinema release. Like here:
No, normal movie review they can't get the clip legally, so that's why they don't put it in there. They within their right to put it in there like this review

They just can't find the good rip so they don't, but if they can, they will, like this review right here

She literally going scene by scene. And Disney doesn't give a fuck, because it's fair use, they are criticizing shit, not making an illegal copy.

This sentence makes no sense. People hate the book so they aren't supposed to be worked up? Is this sarcasm?

And Mulan had plenty of reviews going in depth in where it failed. Same critic did a very popular video review:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man i wish ernest cline didn't know about lgbt people so i didnt have to read those awful passages where he somehow misunderstands the concept of nonbinary people

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to thank everybody who posted excerpts. After my latest rejection, I was beginning to doubt my abilities, but if this dreck can be published, anything can.