• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/esa-org-won-t-cooperate-game-preservation

The Electronic Software Association continues to not have a hand in any efforts toward game preservation.

Last week, lawyer Steve Englund was asked about the possibility of allowing libraries to preserve legacy games. In response, he said there's currently "[no] combination of limitations [ESA members] would support to provide remote access."

In 2023, the Video Game History Foundation revealed 87 percent of games released pre-2010 were currently not preserved in any capacity. Attempts previously made by the Library of Congress were halted by the ESA, which said it'd rely on publishers to take care of those efforts themselves

Englund suggested working with Ivy League schools to set up remote access or some kind of scholarly application as an alternative. Even so, he paradoxically said that physical offices housing collections of games wouldn't entirely be satisfactory for him.

To him, the worst thing for a non-profit organization (or anywhere with an online archive) would be to put a preserved game with "few restrictions" online. That kind of remote access would be "insufficient progress" when it comes to preservation.

The only one on Englund's side was AACS attorney Mike Ayers. In his eyes, there should be "more substance" in combating the already-restrictive preservation rules.

"Anybody can have a mailing address," said Ayers. When it comes to just checking boxes as opposed to having anything verified, I would have concerns. [...] It's not clear [physical premises] will actually be effective."

During the hearing, other speakers were adamant that something needed to be done about game preservation and that both Englund and Ayers were missing the point.

Feb 9, 2024
User Thread-Banned: Off-topic thread derailment
This is what being agaisnt preservation looks like. Not going after an emulator for a current gen console being developed and ran by jackasses

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
We already knew the ESA was the enemy, but thanks for the reminder guys!

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The ESA represents the video games industry, not us. And it makes sense, most big publishers would be against this.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Ah, the old 'the corporations/market will take care of it themselves' argument, close cousins with 'the market will regulate itself'. Such obvious bullshit. Not that one expects better from a corporate interests group like ESA, mind.
This is what being agaisnt preservation looks like. Not going after an emulator for a current gen console being developed and ran by jackasses
Nobody was talking about that, this is not what the thread was about. This comes across more as jumping at the chance to bring beef from previous arguments into a thread unprompted. It's not healthy discussion, nor a healthy mindset.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
what is even the purpose of this organization? give free checks to some guys?

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I don't get it, so their issue is with libraries offering remote access, not libraries themselves?

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
Those 'jackasses' developing emulators and such are the only reason we can be sure that we will be able to still play non pc games from this and previus decades in the future as publishers dont give a fuck about proper preservation.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
In 2023, the Video Game History Foundation revealed 87 percent of games released pre-2010 were currently not preserved in any capacity. Attempts previously made by the Library of Congress were halted by the ESA, which said it'd rely on publishers to take care of those efforts themselves

Oh, fuck all the way off ESA. Endlessly annoyed by how this industry continues to both be insufferably secretive and treat nearly everything that their creatives make as disposable.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Another point in the I'm glad they have massively lost relevance (to the public) with the death of E3 column.

I don't get it, so their issue is with libraries offering remote access, not libraries themselves?
The arseholes probably just consider it another part of the used games market, which they (the publishers) all hate. Libraries can't preserve are stuff, people might play it without giving us money 😭

Feb 9, 2024
Those 'jackasses' developing emulators and such are the only reason we can be sure that we will be able to still play non pc games from this and previus decades in the future as publishers dont give a fuck about proper preservation.

The jackasses were the Yuzu devs, who put the whole emulation scene in jeopardy with their stunts and need for notoriety.

I have a deep respect for every other emulation dev team.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wild that without emulation from unofficial parties, so much of gaming would be currently lost unless you had access to old hardware

Mar 17, 2024
The games industry could've taken notes from the movie one, but alas.

Video games deserve much more respect, being at least equal to other forms of media.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The games industry could've taken notes from the movie one, but alas.

These are not comparable at all. One is a static and unchangeable content. The other is a dynamic and living monster relying on hardware compatibility, operating system compatibility, drivers compatibility, an unspoken amount of proprietary backend solutions and services, and who the hell knows what else.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
OP really needs some more quotes from the article. One or two paragraphs do not do justice:

During the hearing, other speakers were adamant that something needed to be done about game preservation and that both Englund and Ayers were missing the point.

VGHF library director Phil Salvador argued most libraries lack the manpower, expertise, or interest to make a meaningful game collection, either physical or digital.
Institutions making the active effort to do this are in the single-digit numbers, he speculated. Only specialized institutions and collections could really make use of the exemption for remote digital access.

Technology lawyer Kendra Albert argued that the ESA has been unwilling to meet researchers and preservationists halfway on these efforts. Any changes made or proposed, they said, will "never be enough" for rights holders for those games.
Likewise, they called it "upsetting" to say scholars' efforts were undermined by the idea of people caring these games. In Albert's eyes, that remark underlines how deeply out of touch both Englund and Ayers are about games as a medium.

"Harming scholarship and teaching because there might be an interest in recreational play...doesn't feel fair to them which put a lot of effort into making these works available."

Oct 25, 2017
So basically some organization could lay out a proposal well funded, organized and with necessary steps to preserve works of art for all time, but ESA will always just go with publisher's eternal "nope".

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
now that e3 is dead i think the esa only exists to get tax breaks for game studios in major cities

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
VGHF library director Phil Salvador argued most libraries lack the manpower, expertise, or interest to make a meaningful game collection, either physical or digital.

These chuckleheads need to go visit r/gamecollecting. I bet you easily they could find someone there willing to setup a preservation library with some of the collections I've seen.

I know thats not the end-game here but man the ESA is really a PITA. Can we lobby to make a new group?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The ESA and being useless, name a more iconic duo.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the whole industry does not give a shit about preservation and most of the public either.
It's best to consider them actually hostile and spearhead state level initiatives that will force their hands.

I'm sure it will be incredibly difficult to play the niche game Legend of Zelda tears of the Kingdom that was part of the reason for their downfall.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Hard to convince someone of something when their job relies on them believing otherwise, etc.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
These chuckleheads need to go visit r/gamecollecting. I bet you easily they could find someone there willing to setup a preservation library with some of the collections I've seen.

I know thats not the end-game here but man the ESA is really a PITA. Can we lobby to make a new group?
I feel like you're targeting the wrong people in your post... Phil Salvador and the VGHF are in support of creating libraries, they literally run one, he speaks from experience. You need to secure funding, and buy the space, and support the hosting, and all sorts of things that cost money and time. Especially because the ESA is so adamant about not allowing digital access, they're forcing libraries to need a physical space for things that are largely digital, and they're still not happy with that proposal.

As for the ESA, that's made up of the major game devs and publishers, you're not going to get an alternative group, the alternative group is these already existing libraries, like the Strong Museum and VGHF.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
No offense, but the movie and videogame industry are pretty much equal when it comes to this bullshittery. Only difference is the format.
Not really? You can go to film department libraries to see rare prints of things if you apply. Like yes there's plenty of lost cinema but by and large someone studying film has far more access to historic media than someone studying games.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly unless forced by law you won't see any progress from these organisations.
These companies are actively trying to deny ownership rights to their customers, undermining customer protections at every turn and delivering defective/half finished products that rely on patches to become/remain playable.

And that's for their current offerings.
I am convinced that the mere thought of someone being able to get access to any old game through a library is making them physically ill.

unknown_nut

Sep 12, 2022
imdb.fandom.com

Entertainment Software Association

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is the trade association of the video game industry in the United States. It was formed in April 1994 as the Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA)[1] and renamed on July 21, 2003. It is based in Washington, D.C.[2][3] Most of the top...

Yeah that's majority of the major publishers in the industry.