VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not liking the new update, they completely killed the rat playstyle.
I think it's a net positive for the game. The found in raid status makes everything more rewarding since before you could put the valuable items in your secure container and just be done with it without effort, now you actually have to make it out, and since there's no reason to put these items in your secure container anymore, it means kills are more rewarding since all the best items actually have a chance of being on the body and not in a container. Just earlier I pulled a flashdrive out of someones backpack, that would never happen before this wipe. It also single highhandedly killed the hatchling problem that had been plaguing the game for years.

I fail to see how a rat can't still be a rat after these changes, it just means the rat has to actually put in effort and survive and can't merely fail upwards.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The rat playstyle was the only counter to exit and quest-location campers. The former of which is now more prevalent than ever now that more people are likely to keep stuff out of their containers and in their bags.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The rat playstyle was the only counter to exit and quest-location campers. The former of which is now more prevalent than ever now that more people are likely to keep stuff out of their containers and in their bags.
I'm...not sure how the logic on rat playstyle countering that works exactly, the counter to exit and quest location campers is what it's always been, kill them before they kill you. I've played a ton this wipe and I've only seen an extract camper once, at gate 3 in factory. Did what always works and threw a nade at him after I heard him ADS. Those guys are definitely scummy but to imply the only way to 'counter' them is to have secure item value persist after death is absurd.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm...not sure how the logic on rat playstyle countering that works exactly, the counter to exit and quest location campers is what it's always been, kill them before they kill you. I've played a ton this wipe and I've only seen an extract camper once, at gate 3 in factory. Did what always works and threw a nade at him after I heard him ADS. Those guys are definitely scummy but to imply the only way to 'counter' them is to have secure item value persist after death is absurd.
Most exfils aren't as enclosed as Factory so a grenade is kinda useless at most exits.

Going in with cheap gear and betting on making back your money with the secure container is basically the only way to counter them (as a solo player). They have the element of surprise on you and you don't know where they are hiding so you are always at a HUGE disadvantage.

Reddit has one of, if not the biggest Tarkov community on the internet and they complain about exit campers daily so it still is a problem that many people run into.

Oct 27, 2017
Hum, i see a lot of peopel running scav on Interchange and Reserve, i personaly do it on Factory has i go in and come out in 3 min and do a pmc run.

Now how anyone can consistently do factory runs is beyond me. You can barely loot anything without someone being in your neck.

On Reserve I usually go into the workshop with the white horse on it and if you're lucky you can grab a whole backpack of valuable weapon parts from the roof and go straight to the KP fence exit a stonethrow away. As a scav at least. As a PMC you have to do a pro gamer move and hide at the bunker exit until someone else activates the power but it works surprisingly well.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still new and just getting
Now how anyone can consistently do factory runs is beyond me. You can barely loot anything without someone being in your neck.

On Reserve I usually go into the workshop with the white horse on it and if you're lucky you can grab a whole backpack of valuable weapon parts from the roof and go straight to the KP fence exit a stonethrow away. As a scav at least. As a PMC you have to do a pro gamer move and hide at the bunker exit until someone else activates the power but it works surprisingly well.

If my scav has a descent loadout, I'l go to factory and just run right to evac. I'd say I survive 2/3's of the time. Thats the only time I do factory runs.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Right now I'm having a hard time hitting 10 again. Once I get there I'll be able to buy guns and ammo and do okay, but ugh.
Level nine and doing factory over and over trying to get scav kills is ....not my best idea.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my task of 15 scav kills in woods. Really mixed feelings of the map but glad it's over with and I can take a break from that map. It's fun going into the map with just a mosin and no armor for the scsv kills but im not geared enough to actually choose that map for a raid.

I started the supplier task and was able to buy the shotguns and give them right back to skier.. now to find body armor and do the gunsmith task which looks tedious.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we've definitely reached the point where a lot of players you'll meet are geared af and it's really not what I enjoy about this game.
Yesterday I tried to get my Golden Zibbo out and got killed by a Twitch streamer with night AND heat vision lol
Also a strange problem for the developer to solve.
Not sure how I'll deal with it, might just wait for the next wipe and hope for them to somehow adress it through the game's economy!? Or just continue being happy when I get some of these players with my garbage gear, that is still fun. The quests are not.

You hate to see stats like that after a fight you lost:
DUQLs3d.png

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game is almost impossible at the point playing as a low level solo. I've been trying to do the Delivery from the past quest for two weeks and I just can't do it. I either run into fully kitted four stacks on Customs or I die within 10 seconds of spawning in Factory. I don't have the time or energy to put in 8 hours every day to build up and it's getting to the point that I don't want to play at all.

I wish they would implement solo servers or something.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is almost impossible at the point playing as a low level solo. I've been trying to do the Delivery from the past quest for two weeks and I just can't do it. I either run into fully kitted four stacks on Customs or I die within 10 seconds of spawning in Factory. I don't have the time or energy to put in 8 hours every day to build up and it's getting to the point that I don't want to play at all.

You always have to keep in mind this game is not meant to be fair and it doesn't give a fuck if you progress or not. It's both the best and the worst thing about Tarkov. If it frustrates you just stop for a while. The progress is not permanent right now anyway.

The only advice I can give you regarding this quest is to either wait until the last few minutes to do the deed and/or do it at night.

Jan 20, 2019

Go during the night.

Tarkov is a test game, your first wipe is not suppost to be good, just go for loot runs and start shooting peopel, dont worry to much about doing the quest.

Right now,you should be learning the maps, the gunplay and how the market works, no need for anything else, your progress will be wipe out by the end of the year anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Tarkov has some of the highest highs and lowest lows I've experienced in a game, and I love it. I haven't played as much this wipe because if you don't have the time to put in and "keep up" with everyone in the wipe you just fall too far behind and it becomes such a slog, which imo is the biggest problem with the game. Not that I have a solution though, I understand changing this system could change what makes Tarkov so good.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I haven't played in a while, so I'm going to scrambling to get anywhere when I come back too.

Honestly the beauty of Tarkov is that any level one first day noob could take down the most geared vet if they get lucky.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played in a while, so I'm going to scrambling to get anywhere when I come back too.

Honestly the beauty of Tarkov is that any level one first day noob could take down the most geared vet if they get lucky.

The problem with that is that the chance gets lower and lower the wider the level gap between the players is.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm finally on Test Drive for Prapor and have not used much 7.62x51 since the chest HP buff. Looking at the stats on the wiki, why would anyone use anything but m80? M61, 62 and the new m993 are so much more expensive, but only seem to give an edge on tier 6 armor. Even if your dice roll is bad against tier 5 armor, the math shows a single bullet difference for a torso kill. Headshots are going to be a one tap against everything. Am I missing something? Why are people buying m61 in droves on the market for 1.3k per round? Nothing 7.62 one taps the chest anymore, so it just seems like a waste.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Just started and so much to learn but it's very enjoyable. Been saving attachments but think I'm going on a selling spree on my next session to gain some money.

I continuously have just been running woods to try to learn the map. I want to try others but I figure it's best to learn one first and get looted up and figure out the game itself. I killed a few geared players already. It feels rewarding and digging through their items you realize how annoyed they must be but your too scared of getting attacked while looting to really care.

When I'm a scav I've had a hard time being able to tell who is a scav and a pmc. Any suggestions on this? Also other player scavs seem friendly so far but should I not trust them so much?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Just started and so much to learn but it's very enjoyable. Been saving attachments but think I'm going on a selling spree on my next session to gain some money.

I continuously have just been running woods to try to learn the map. I want to try others but I figure it's best to learn one first and get looted up and figure out the game itself. I killed a few geared players already. It feels rewarding and digging through their items you realize how annoyed they must be but your too scared of getting attacked while looting to really care.

When I'm a scav I've had a hard time being able to tell who is a scav and a pmc. Any suggestions on this? Also other player scavs seem friendly so far but should I not trust them so much?
Depends on the person, unfortunately. Some player scavs murder everyone they see. Some only attack if you do. I am against scav/scav violence :p A lot of players will wiggle back and forth if they don't intend to attack

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the person, unfortunately. Some player scavs murder everyone they see. Some only attack if you do. I am against scav/scav violence :p A lot of players will wiggle back and forth if they don't intend to attack

I noticed that once so I did it back. We both proceeded to back away..lol.

Figured it was some sort of code for not attacking.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I have being trolled lots of times because of wiggle and killed on the back...i kill on sight everytime now.
Playing this for 3 years now and it still amazes me why didn´t anyone copyied this game yet, its so fkin good.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I have being trolled lots of times because of wiggle and killed on the back...i kill on sight everytime now.
Playing this for 3 years now and it still amazes me why didn´t anyone copyied this game yet, its so fkin good.

I've been playing a lot of Hunt Showdown prior to jumping into this. While it has similarities it's definitely different in aspects. Very fun game that has a high risk element with losing gear and hunters in death. Matches can play out differently as the objectives are met and just like Tarkov (in my limited play) the maps and sound are some of the best.

I'd agree this is being an untapped market with a lot of possibilities. With your standard circle br games have a limited outcome with little progression other than KDA and wins. Survival games like Hunt or Tarkov can be played differently with objectives that give really intense battles and suspense. That's also a challenge due to it being a turnoff for some casuals. They just need to show the value in the gameplay loops and it actually being a fun experience even if your struggling.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I've been playing a lot of Hunt Showdown prior to jumping into this. While it has similarities it's definitely different in aspects. Very fun game that has a high risk element with losing gear and hunters in death. Matches can play out differently as the objectives are met and just like Tarkov (in my limited play) the maps and sound are some of the best.

I'd agree this is being an untapped market with a lot of possibilities. With your standard circle br games have a limited outcome with little progression other than KDA and wins. Survival games like Hunt or Tarkov can be played differently with objectives that give really intense battles and suspense. That's also a challenge due to it being a turnoff for some casuals. They just need to show the value in the gameplay loops and it actually being a fun experience even if your struggling.

Well I've recently started playing Hunt Showdown hehehe. I'm level 100 now and I love it too, it's a shame my friends only stayed on Tarkov and don't enjoy Hunt so much but yeah, these games are awesome after that initial learning curve.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone still playing this game? I got it a few days ago and haven't really had a succesful raid yet due to not knowing the maps/exfil points at all. Could really use some guidance haha.

EDIT: Seems like the discord invite for the Era server has expired?

Last edited:

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Yes the game is extremely active! I just don't think this type of genre is popular on this forum. It's too hardcore but I think the thread will be more active once the Streets of Tarkov map releases.

Join discords for steamers and even the official Tarkov one is a good start. Discord will also be the place to find groups. I've only played solo but plan to group up with a few discords I'm in after the next wipe. Also watch streams to get better and definitely search the Tarkov wiki for maps and info.

I started recently and it's tough. For one you are starting towards an end before everything is wiped (like a season). This means people have a lot of cash and items. You are going to be going against not only that but people with experienced pmcs.

Best suggestion just pick one or two maps to learn and get good at. Have maps up on your phone or second screen as you play. Learn them but also understand you are going to get lost and die a lot. Also search for Tarkov ammo guide. This will show you different ammo stats for armor or penetration. Ammo is easily just as important as armor.

Hang in there and it's really rewarding when it clicks. Do your quests, do scav runs often and learn from your mistakes. After a few months i'm finally getting better and making progress. I still really only know customs, shoreline, woods and a little of interchange. I also killed a level one on shoreline the other day. I don't get tons of pmc kills and still felt bad, cause I know that feeling once you load in and die but you really get used to it. I hope it wasn't you!

Jan 20, 2019
Is anyone still playing this game? I got it a few days ago and haven't really had a succesful raid yet due to not knowing the maps/exfil points at all. Could really use some guidance haha.

It is a very hard game, but once you know what to do you will start enjoy it a lot more.

Dont take it to serious, because your stuff will get wipeout in a couple months anyway.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not even sure if the discord for Era is active. Someone else could comment on that.

For discord, I joined a few steamers like Pestilly, Covert and then the official Tarkov one from their site. Tarkov steamer discords are really active especially as they stream. It's a good place to chat, get questions answered and gives you options to form parties. I posted once and immediately had people offering to group and help.

The Tarkov forums or reddit also have useful stuff in them as well if you prefer something like that over streams and discord. And of course post here and someone will jump in. From my experience this thread mainly is dormant unless someone asks something or an update hits.

As mentioned earlier Tarkov is rough and their really is no shame in struggling. If your confused on something just ask. I've been so lost in a match even with maps on a second screen, I've had to lay in the grass and watch a YouTube video to see where to go for extraction..lol

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even sure if the discord for Era is active. Someone else could comment on that.

For discord, I joined a few steamers like Pestilly, Covert and then the official Tarkov one from their site. Tarkov steamer discords are really active especially as they stream. It's a good place to chat, get questions answered and gives you options to form parties. I posted once and immediately had people offering to group and help.

The Tarkov forums or reddit also have useful stuff in them as well if you prefer something like that over streams and discord. And of course post here and someone will jump in. From my experience this thread mainly is dormant unless someone asks something or an update hits.

As mentioned earlier Tarkov is rough and their really is no shame in struggling. If your confused on something just ask. I've been so lost in a match even with maps on a second screen, I've had to lay in the grass and watch a YouTube video to see where to go for extraction..lol
Dangheesling's discord is also very newbie friendly and very active.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'm terrible at this game, but it's terribly addictive. I picked it up on a whim and didn't expect to like it this much. The best Russian game after Space Rangers for me.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I've said it before here, but IMO the most important thing for enjoying Tarkov is the right attitude. Don't go in expecting to win or cap dozens of PMCs, just go in and have have fun. The game is at its best when you're out of money and equipment and making it out of Shoreline with a few bolts and a Hot Rod is an achievement. Sometimes you die instantly, other times you get lucky with some nice loot. Great equipment doesn't make a new player better it just creates unrealistic expectations. You can get lucky with a pistol just as well as with an fancy American assault rifle.

I do wish they'd revamp the quests already though, they very much encourage the unhealthy all-or-nothing playstyle.

Jan 20, 2019
I think I've said it before here, but IMO the most important thing for enjoying Tarkov is the right attitude. Don't go in expecting to win or cap dozens of PMCs, just go in and have have fun. The game is at its best when you're out of money and equipment and making it out of Shoreline with a few bolts and a Hot Rod is an achievement. Sometimes you die instantly, other times you get lucky with some nice loot.

I do wish they'd revamp the quests already though, they very much encourage the unhealthy all-or-nothing playstyle.

Yah the quest are a big problem as they are not fun to do.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this way back when but was too intimidated and recently got into DayZ and decided to give this another try since I was back in the survival frame of mind and damn is this a well made game. The attention to detail, weight and gunplay are just phenomenal. Time to learn these maps.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bought this way back when but was too intimidated and recently got into DayZ and decided to give this another try since I was back in the survival frame of mind and damn is this a well made game. The attention to detail, weight and gunplay are just phenomenal. Time to learn these maps.
Yeah, a good trick is to have a map open on your second monitor. Once you can afford a compass, it might be useful for this as well.

Also Woods is a cursed map and should only be played in an emergency.

Jan 20, 2019

Play this game the same way i play Rust, from time to time i come back and do a wipe.

Incredible game.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, a good trick is to have a map open on your second monitor. Once you can afford a compass, it might be useful for this as well.

Also Woods is a cursed map and should only be played in an emergency.

Woods is crazy. I stumble into people either laying in bushes who escape my shots in the trees or they just one tap me before I see them. Doing the jaeger no armor quest is madness. I've had a few scav kills not count and now I run into more pmcs than scavs all while I have no armor! I'm not sure what to expect from the Woods expansion. I'm guessing it'll end up more like shoreline allowing for other points of interest.

Tarkov is great while being punishing at the same time. Death comes in waves and destroys your savings, then you get amazing runs causing an overflow in your inventory. I'm definitely going to upgrade to EOD on the next sale.

Close quarter fighting may be some of the most intense moments in any game I've played. Playing in a group elevates this as well. Trying to coordinate teammates locations and hold position is an amazing feeling when coming out alive. Second guessing a shot to find out it wasn't a teammate is crushing. Even upon death it's all about figuring out how you could have done it differently.