• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
We can't have an unchecked Stephen A Smith rolling around, so I wonder who they pair him up with to keep him in check since Max was often the voice of reason. Hopefully it's a glowup for Max and not a downgrade

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Strange, Kellerman vs Stephen A is the only reason I ever watch. Like watching 2 cartoon villains.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a like a host changing on The View, a show nobody actually watches. A tree falling in the woods with nobody around.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wonder why? The show has still been very successful in the SAS Kellerman era. Only thing I can think of is one of two things.

1) Kellerman wanted SAS money to keep doing the show and ESPN wasn't willing to play ball.

2) They want to go back to the old format when it was Skip's 1st and 10 segment where each day they'd have different people on to debate Skip. Perhaps they'll get more women on the show since we get a weekly "first take her take" on podcast services now.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I haven't watched ESPN in years but I loved Kellerman as the original host of Around the Horn. He had a really good chemistry with all the wacky panelists. Just never got the same feel from Reali.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not a fan of Stephen A at all so I'll just move on from the show. I liked Max even though I disagree with a lot I just think Stephen A is so obnoxious. I wish I could see Shannon Sharpe and Max together.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Max is pretty likable. These shows are inherently stupid and he is just playing his part on it.

Yep, this is it. I think Max is actually quite smart and likable, but he's asked to play a character on this show, the yin to Stephen A's yang, and does so accordingly as they are mandated to argue about everything. But I like Max a lot.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Max is pretty likable. These shows are inherently stupid and he is just playing his part on it.

Yeah, you can tell Max is just playing a troll cause he does the Seinfeld-like smirk when he knows what he's saying his complete nonsense lol. When he's on serious topics like Hong Kong and Lebron, he's great.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DAZN need to hire Kellerman for there boxing coverage.

His knowledge on boxing is outstanding and with HBO no longer doing boxing Kellerman is missed. His wasted by not doing boxing as his one of the best.

Or he could just start rapping again.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hope it's a glow up for Max. Wholly enjoyed his radio show back when he was in LA and when it peaked with him and Marcellus.

I think they are just making it SAS and the host Molly.
0ea1f995c4f93e6bcddb4460b7ca82039a227eed.gif

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Why though? He any Steven a Smith had great chemistry. I think ratings will go down once he's gone, bad move imo.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Definitely seemed like there was a condescending attitude lately from Stephen towards all of Max's takes.

Always telling him he is wrong about everything and how he has no knowledge of anything. Just basically shutting him down instead of debating.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a sports show for the lowest common denominator. Sadly, a lot of people watch it, including many on this forum. It's not only fake, but drama induced garbage.
......that's what makes it enjoyable.....?

No one is watching First Take for nuanced sports discussion. They are watching for 2 blowhards shouting each other down.

May 14, 2021
Max couldn't match SAS' level of blubbering stupidity. Can't believe what ESPN has done to their radio presence either. It's so bland now.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think they are just making it SAS and the host Molly.

An unchecked SAS and more Molly insights ... the bleakest of timelines.

Fuckin' serious. 🤢

Probably ESPN "shaking things up".

I honestly think they're relying way too much on SAS. He has another solo show. He has a SportsCenter show during the NBA season. They put him on UFC matches lol. It's too much.

Yeah they're definitely over-relying on him. And he's not even that fucking good - he's clearly out of his element on anything but basketball.