• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Via ESPN: http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/26249076/call-duty-franchise-spots-sell-25-million-per-team
Activision Blizzard has begun the sales process for creating a franchised, city-based Call of Duty esports league, setting the franchise price at $25 million per team, sources familiar with negotiations told ESPN.

In the past week, Activision Blizzard esports executive staff have held meetings with prospective buyers for the league, including existing Call of Duty professional teams and ownership groups of the Overwatch League, sources said. Activision Blizzard has asked potential buyers for a non-binding indication of interest within the next 14 days, according to sources. If interested, Overwatch League team owners have the first right of negotiation for their respective home market, as previously reported by ESPN.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this feels artificially high considering they set the damn standard they're following?

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Is call of duty even that big in the e-sports scene. I mean it's weird it's not being the highest selling game but when I hear about tournaments and stuff it's never ever cod.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Is call of duty even that big in the e-sports scene. I mean it's weird it's not being the highest selling game but when I hear about tournaments and stuff it's never ever cod.
In terms of viewership it's pretty small yeah. Matches between the middle of the table teams pull around 20k-30k viewers, maybe more if it's in the late stages of a tournament. Those numbers really jump though if big teams like OpTic reach the late stages of a tournament, according to esc.watch the Grand Finals at Las Vegas reached 196k at its peak https://esc.watch/tournaments/cod/call-duty-world-league-vegas
Then again, those numbers might increase considerably if Activision actually puts some decent marketing behind it, which you would expect if you franchise your league.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
how does esports viewership of annualized titles (CoD, sports games) compare with persistent titles (overwatch, CSGO, R6, dota, LoL, hearthstone)?

i would think that the latter is way more popular. so i'm interested to see how well this CoD league does

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense

Overwatch League teams sell for more than that

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I can't fathom why ActiBlizz would scale down their Blizzard eSports operations with all those layoffs and then scale up their Call of Duty eSports operations.
Clearly someone there knows something.

Or they're just making yet another colossal mistake that's going to result in broken hearts.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Or they're just making yet another colossal mistake that's going to result in broken hearts.
That's what I am puzzled over... and why would I jump in as an investor if I've seen them scale down parts of their company for esports and shut down an entire fledgling league? I get that CoD isn't going anywhere overnight... but come on...

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
How does this even work when the franchise has yearly releases? Also Acti really doubling down on making eSports happen from the top down.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I watch the call of duty esports stuff on twitch once in a while (the "CWL") and viewership has plummeted over the past 5 years. It used to draw in 500k+ viewers every time and be hosted in fancy ass places but last time I think it was under 100k viewers. I know a lot of the current APEX top streamers used to be COD BO3 streamers but that was really the last COD that seemed to hold viewers interest. Blackout had a big resurgence but seems to have died down again because of slow updates and of course APEX.

That price tag seems absolutely insane.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Round Based FPS's are so bad to watch unless you are an AVID player, even then im not sure...I wish them good luck in this endeavor, but I just do not see it.

Rocket league is the only game I can see breaking of just being watched by gamers - it looks like a sport, its simple, its purely based on skill, there are no crazy ultimates, or effects garbling up the screen. Its as close to 'a sport' as a game can be,

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom why ActiBlizz would scale down their Blizzard eSports operations with all those layoffs and then scale up their Call of Duty eSports operations.

Wasn't the scaledown getting rid of HOTS people who were still with the company?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I don't think it was scaling down all of Blizzard esports.

From what I understand it was basically the HOTS department, which quite frankly was the correct business decision by Activision.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
How does this even work when the franchise has yearly releases? Also Acti really doubling down on making eSports happen from the top down.
move to a new game every year I presume. Doubt they would stick to one game and instead just keep moving.

I doubt this gets much bigger than it already is, low bar of entry games like CSGO and Dota 2 are big enough because its 1 game that gets constant updates (well...not for cs :P) and both are free.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's asking for way too much. I don't see how that's a good investment for the franchise owners at this point.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018

Probably Blizzard and Call of Duty are separate organizations inside of Activision. One thing to remember is companies are not people but are collections of thousands of people, hundreds of teams and dozens or organizations (each team belongs to an organization). People inside of a company are frequently not going to act in a coordinated fashion and are frequently going to do what is best for their part of the organization. It wouldn't surprise me if the Call of Duty eSports people had no idea there were going to be layoffs at Blizzard and they are just trying to grow Call of Duty's eSport's business. If I had to guess, I bet the money, personnel, etc. all came from the Call of Duty organization. I am also guessing they are funding this because they want to want to make CoD more successful.

Last edited:

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
move to a new game every year I presume. Doubt they would stick to one game and instead just keep moving.

I doubt this gets much bigger than it already is, low bar of entry games like CSGO and Dota 2 are big enough because its 1 game that gets constant updates (well...not for cs :P) and both are free.
Yep. Also have you seen the community reaction to CS changes? Might be one of the reasons Valve does not even bother XD

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of franchising in esports as it's worked in Overwatch, but the only it works in CoD is if they stop the annual releases and give it the Overwatch treatment in post-release support. Too bad with Activision that's not going to happen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Blows my mind how quickly E-Sports grew. Absolutely insane money is your game rises to the top.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is the competitive scene still on console?

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Thought this is worthy of a bump. According to Scott Smith bidding is nearing $40mil a city

Also, with the next Call of Duty's reveal being very close (CoD games are always revealed around this time) we should hopefully get some proper announcements on franchising soon.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Is CWL even as big as the R6 Pro League at this point?
I'm not really familiar with the R6 Pro League but looking at https://escharts.com the peak for the Season 9 Latin American league (the highest out of the various regions) is 48,951 viewers (30 January, Liquid vs NiP). The peak for this season of the CWL Pro League is 61,995 viewers (5 April, OpTic vs 100T).
Sources:
R6 Pro League Season 9 Latin America: https://escharts.com/tournaments/rainbow-6/pro-league-season-9-latin-america
CWL Pro League: https://escharts.com/tournaments/cod/cwl-pro-league-2019

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thought this is worthy of a bump. According to Scott Smith bidding is nearing $40mil a city

Also, with the next Call of Duty's reveal being very close (CoD games are always revealed around this time) we should hopefully get some proper announcements on franchising soon.

40 mill!? Are they out of their goddamn mind? 😂😂 Activision at this point is blatantly trying to screw over competitive cod.. Unless a bunch of orgs have been working on some big funding deals behind the scenes, I don't see how this will work out.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I'm not really familiar with the R6 Pro League but looking at https://escharts.com the peak for the Season 9 Latin American league (the highest out of the various regions) is 48,951 viewers (30 January, Liquid vs NiP). The peak for this season of the CWL Pro League is 61,995 viewers (5 April, OpTic vs 100T).
Sources:
R6 Pro League Season 9 Latin America: https://escharts.com/tournaments/rainbow-6/pro-league-season-9-latin-america
You should compare the WW Pro League finals and not regionals:
nZRtdYR.png

8Z6rVM5.png

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Sources:

Very low viewers.