menacer

Dec 15, 2018
It's horrible and unfortunate but the 737 is a safe aircraft and until we know all the details lets hold judgement.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think people are misunderstanding the issue identified in the Lion Air crash and what may be happening here.

The Lion Air flight had an improperly maintained sensor that fed faulty readings into the equipment. The computer made a decision based on this faulty data and the pilots didn't turn the system off like the check list instructs them to. In response, the FAA and Boeing sent out updates to customers about the pre-existing procedure to make sure they all knew about it and added additional language to the flight manual.

Yeah, it's possible this is a process or possible training issue, if the FAA and Boeing sent out guidance. Really interested to see how this plays out (and when those AC Investigation show takes a magnifying glass to it)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Damn.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ethiop...t-africa-for-a-variety-of-reasons-11552277358

One man missed the flight by two minutes. Greek waste expert and entrepreneur Antonis Mavropoulos was also headed to the U.N. environment summit and said he begged to be allowed on the flight. He said he "watched the last passengers board as I was stopped because I was too late."

He was pulled off the next flight by Ethiopian authorities who informed him about the crash and comforted him at Bole International Airport as he struggled to come to terms with what happened.

"Because of two small coincidences I wasn't on that flight—I collapsed when I realized this, because I understood just how lucky I had been," he said.

I mean what does that do to someone

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I flew on a 737-800 last Thursday, the interior was very nice. Tomorrow i'm on a 737-700. Not sure if either of these are considered 737 8 MAX.

I've been afraid of flying my whole life, but have gotten over it the last couple of years because I've been flying more. I'm not any more worried than normal

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a pilot but it seems like a bit of an overreaction to ground them all. I suppose if you can't ensure your pilots are aware of the procedures to take should this happen then better save than sorry, but because there are multiple options they can take to disable mcas, seems a bit extreme. Still, guess Boeing will implement some changes now.

Also wonder if this was triggered by something else or an angle of attack sensor again.
It's not enough to rely on administrative controls considering that the hazard in this case appears to the loss of an aircraft will all hands.

I would love to see the risk assessment that Boeing signed off on saying that "failure of a single sensor -> failure to disable MCAS -> loss of airframe and 150 lives" was an acceptable failure path.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I flew on a 737-800 last Thursday, the interior was very nice. Tomorrow i'm on a 737-700. Not sure if either of these are considered 737 8 MAX.

I've been afraid of flying my whole life, but have gotten over it the last couple of years because I've been flying more. I'm not any more worried than normal
The 737 Max is the newest generation of 737's. The -600, -700, and -800 are all part of the NG generation. You did not fly on a Max. And as an aircraft maintenance engineer on 737's, I wouldn't be scared to fly on one, either.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I flew Alaska Airlines not too long ago and they used to pride themselves being all Boeing and I was seated in an exit seat and when asked by a flight attendant if I was capable in an emergency on this Airbus the thought flew in my mind "this is an Airbus?". I guess they bought Virgin America or something and just took up their fleet.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I flew Alaska Airlines not too long ago and they used to pride themselves being all Boeing and I was seated in an exit seat and when asked by a flight attendant if I was capable in an emergency on this Airbus the thought flew in my mind "this is an Airbus?". I guess they bought Virgin America or something and just took up their fleet.
I think they bought them in ~2016 but only recently removed the Virgin name.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, one of my worst fears is to die in a plane crash. I know it's highly improbable, and I've flown plenty of times, but there's just something about it that just terrifies me. RIP to all the victims and condolences to their families.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Ugh, one of my worst fears is to die in a plane crash. I know it's highly improbable, and I've flown plenty of times, but there's just something about it that just terrifies me. RIP to all the victims and condolences to their families.
Same here. If counting deperature and arrival trips I've been on a flight about forty times in my life. Still get internally scared when we hit a very tough patch of sky, no matter how normal my logical brain knows it is

Oct 27, 2017

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still get goosebumps just thinking about the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525 crash. The Suicidal Co-Pilot locked the crew out of the cabin and flew the plane into a mountain while the crew tried to get into the cabin and talk him out of it.
Did the passengers know? What goes through your head, knowing your plane will crash in some minutes.
If there's anything like hell, I hope this motherfucker got in there. It's one thing to take your life. But deciding to take hundreds of others with you?

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
No person wants to compare it to that and it is still haunting for sure. What we are dealing with is likely a huge design flaw in what is the best selling commercial aircraft and it needs to be solved. We just came off a few days ago the 5th anniversary of MH370 and we still don't know what happened.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a pilot but it seems like a bit of an overreaction to ground them all. I suppose if you can't ensure your pilots are aware of the procedures to take should this happen then better save than sorry, but because there are multiple options they can take to disable mcas, seems a bit extreme. Still, guess Boeing will implement some changes now.

Also wonder if this was triggered by something else or an angle of attack sensor again.

Well, one reason why aeroplanes are safe is that most of the stuff is automated.

Once those systems fail and pilot have to intervene human error will occur eventually no matter how experienced the pilot is.

If power steering on your car is known to randomly steer you into upcoming traffic you would not want to drive that car for the extended time, even if all you need to do is to be alert for that happen, steer back on your line and disable the system.

Last edited:

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
They aren't automated. pilots still fucking having to double check everything,. Computers do make mistakes.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, one reason why aeroplanes are safe is that most of the stuff is automated.

Once those systems fail and pilot have to intervene human error will occur eventually no matter how experienced the pilot is.

If tracking control on your car is known to randomly steer you into upcoming traffic you would not want to drive that car for the extended time, even if all you need to do is to be alert for that happen, steer back on your line and disable tracking control system.
the part where an automated system determines diving straight into the ground as the optimal path might be the first place to point fingers...

Deleted member 13859

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Ryan air in Europe ground or cancel the orders of the Max. That would be massive here. The fleet is all 737 as far as I know

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They aren't automated. pilots still fucking having to double check everything,. Computers do make mistakes.

Very infrequently and when they do pilot intervene and (i hope) an investigation is performed on why the computer made a mistake.

If you have only the pilot to rely on it's bad.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If power steering on your car is known to randomly steer you into upcoming traffic you would not want to drive that car for the extended time, even if all you need to do is to be alert for that happen, steer back on your line and disable the system.
True but "is known to" is a bit of a stretch regarding mcas at the moment. We'll see what the investigation about this crash leads to (and the final lion air report I guess)

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
If you want an example of "western pilot training" look fucking no further than this sobering exampling of letting a kid fly a fucking plane that the pilots knew nothing about for Aeroflot in the early 90s.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True but "is known to" is a bit of a stretch regarding mcas at the moment. We'll see what the investigation about this crash leads to (and the final lion air report I guess)

If it was only me and I don't have any other car maybe i can drive carefully for short distance few times.
If it's me and other 150 people in the car and i have other cars i will pick other cars.

One of the reasons why the airline industry work is because of how paranoid on security they are.

Deleted member 13859

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want an example of "western pilot training" look fucking no further than this sobering exampling of letting a kid fly a fucking plane that the pilots knew nothing about for Aeroflot in the early 90s.

What the fuck. When you said kid, I thought you meant an inexperienced pilot. Not an actual 11 year old. Holy fuck

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Despite the tragedy this visualization always makes me laugh. Looks like the plane is defying physics throughout the event.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
It's a horrific idea because when they replayed the scenario in a simulator all the pilots had to do was let go of the yoke and plane in theory would have corrected it self.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I had not realized this, but basically the 737 Max has a MCAS because the fitting of heavier and wider engines on the plane's old 737 body caused stall issues.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I had not realized this, but basically the 737 Max has a MCAS because the fitting of heavier and wider engines on the plane's old 737 body caused stall issues.
I don't think the max have the same fuselage as the 737 ng series.

The 777X reveal now postponed. Was supposed to be on the 13th. Share prices are going to feel this.

Speaking of fuselages and 777, its engine is big.

DwFxombU8AAKNML.jpg

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Actually it's like this.

Boeing stretched the 737(Again), making it heavier. Because it's heavier now, it needs more thrust, so they fit bigger engines. As the 737 has shorter legs than a fat caterpillar they had to move the engine pod ahead of the wing instead of below it. This change moves the center of gravity(an important consideration in flight) forward and therefore they needed a way for the computer to autotrim so that at certain flight regimes the plane doesn't stall.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I don't think the max have the same fuselage as the 737 ng series.

Not sure about the exact parts, but during test flights pilots saw an issue with the stal chances. This was because the new Max engines are heavier and wider so they are fitted at a different position on the wings and the wing size itself was increased. The MCAS was introduced to account for this issue so plane can handle any stall warnings automatically.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure Boeing would issue a cease-flight immediately if they had any reason to doubt the planes general safety. All eyes are on them now.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-737-max-8-jets-for-inspections-idUSKBN1QS14V

Indonesia will temporarily ground Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft operating in the country for inspection, the director general of aviation said on Monday, in the wake of the deadly crash of one of the planes in Ethiopia.

"One of the steps that is being taken by the air transport directorate is conducting an inspection by temporarily grounding (Boeing 737 Max 8 planes), to ensure that this type of aircraft is airworthy," the Indonesian official, Polana Pramesti, said in statement.

The inspection is set to start on Tuesday, with national carrier Garuda Indonesia now operating one MAX 8 and budget carrier Lion Air 10 planes.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

2/350 crashes is a pretty bad statistic for a plane that has been on the market for about a year.