• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can be useful to have a gathering team for farming materials, and thus money. Also, in EOIII and EOV, there are means to give EXP to your benched members.

I don't think the games need to have some good mechanic or anything for all these party slots at any rate. I appreciate just having the ability to have more than five members.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I picked 5 characters at the start of EO4 and never swapped them out for anyone else. I figure they were there from the start, they may as well see it to the end. Also I got attached to them.

Delstius

Oct 25, 2017
Do you usually use more characters than you need for a party and switch them out from time to time? I usually only create five characters at the beginning of the game and keep those until the very end, but the option must be there for a reason.

While a single party can clear the whole game and get every conditional drop with the help of items and special equipment, it will always have some weakness or at least some things it's not great at.
Having a secondary team that can handle that part with ease is great, especially to farm certain FOE/conditional drop faster. It's also a nice change of pace.
I usually use the remaining slots for various tests, fun stuff, and inevitably end up with one or more OP retired team with the aim to break the game after beating the post-game.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Shame Gunner is awful. She's like a giant 'please kill me' moeblob.
We went from:
5481-1060731308.jpg

to...
9.png

Oct 25, 2017
Do you usually use more characters than you need for a party and switch them out from time to time? I usually only create five characters at the beginning of the game and keep those until the very end, but the option must be there for a reason.

I usually stick with the same team and when I retire(you can read about retiring in the OP) my entire team(something I usually do once or twice per game), I take it as a chance to make a brand new team.

In EOV there is the memory conch or the exp DLC so it's easier to have more characters and just swap them in.

Last edited:

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got all the way to the 6th floor before I realized holding B lets you run...

Besides that, The Troublemakers have just reached 8F! Ive never gotten this far in an EO game before.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I dont get about the combat is that for some reason my rover's attack activates my fencer's elemental chain but other regular attacks dont. Is it because they're in the same line?

Delstius

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I dont get about the combat is that for some reason my rover's attack activates my fencer's elemental chain but other regular attacks dont. Is it because they're in the same line?
The Chain skill only activates with attacks of the same element or stab attacks like using a bow.
A Shaman with the corresponding elemental prayer is great to have to make use of the Chain skills for others weapons users.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Chain skill only activates with attacks of the same element or stab attacks like using a bow.
A Shaman with the corresponding elemental prayer is great to have to make use of the Chain skills for others weapons users.
Oh. Also, I think I just realized nobody in my party does cut attacks. I guess there had to be a hole in our abilities somewhere.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've finally bought and started EOV. Atlus must have broke bank on those production values comparred to earlier games, huh? :p It's interesting that they've decided to dub this and not SMT: DSJ.

EDIT: But boy did they killed the draw distance in the Labyrinth. It's like I'm playing EO1 again lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Every Etrian Odyssey game I've played (the 3DS ones) seem to be balanced around sticking with the same group of five people for the whole game.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Maaan, I'm about to start the last labyrinth in EO4, this game is so good. I bought it last month and already put 50 hours into it. I thought I'd get partway through it and lose steam, adding it to my massive rpg backlog. I'm going to be a bit lost on what to play afterwards though, as I usually am after beating something.

Oct 25, 2017
Maaan, I'm about to start the last labyrinth in EO4, this game is so good. I bought it last month and already put 50 hours into it. I thought I'd get partway through it and lose steam, adding it to my massive rpg backlog. I'm going to be a bit lost on what to play afterwards though, as I usually am after beating something.

You can get EOV.

:)

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
About sticking with the same party members, I remember being stubborn with EOIV. Usually I like to use everyone and keep them all strong. That ended up being a huge grind fest with the post-game content. I was forced to stick with one party and had to grind until they were strong enough to take on all the optional content. That's why I liked EMD, because it didn't force you to pick a team and stick with it. You could change whenever you felt like it.

Hey guys - EOV or EOIV? Which one would be the best to get back into hte series? I played EOI and II and never went back.

Having not played EOV extensively, I obviously can't make comparisons which is the best to get back into the series. But if you can play both, then I recommend you definitely play EOIV as well. It's one of the best games on the 3DS and it was also my first EO. It's a very good start or a game to get back into.

Got my copy today, and yes, it does. It's tiny though, and is contained in the case.

The comic makes it worth it.

Awesome, thank you!

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm gonna have the pettiest rant of all time.
Why is there a nice baked on "BONUS ART BOOK INCLUDED INSIDE" smack bang at the very top middle of the box. Who is that for? Is that really going to attract people into buying a game that they'll probably never see on a store shelf anyway. I mean I guess it's a selling point EU has finally got a bonus with their physical copies, but it's kinda gross it ruins a pretty cool boxart.

On a plus side, the bonus art book included inside is kinda neat. And now I finally have the EOV theme as it came as a code on the back of the little manual.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the final labyrinth in EO4 right now and I've been using the same party for the whole game. You could say I got attached to them, I even tried switching some characters but I'd always go back to the original squad. It just felt wrong to leave them behind lol. They're doing alright for now but I'm expecting some rude awakening when I try to tackle the post-game content.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm gonna have the pettiest rant of all time.

Why is there a nice baked on "BONUS ART BOOK INCLUDED INSIDE" smack bang at the very top middle of the box. Who is that for? Is that really going to attract people into buying a game that they'll probably never see on a store shelf anyway. I mean I guess it's a selling point EU has finally got a bonus with their physical copies, but it's kinda gross it ruins a pretty cool boxart.

On a plus side, the bonus art book included inside is kinda neat. And now I finally have the EOV theme as it came as a code on the back of the little manual.

I didn't know you get a free theme. Neat! You're making it difficult for me to leave the game sealed once it arrives...

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't know you get a free theme. Neat! You're making it difficult for me to leave the game sealed once it arrives...
That's only for EU really, for NA you can just grab the theme for free on the Eshop thing without even owning the game but for EU you need to use the code inside the box.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm not happy! I ordered with Amazon UK and I've still not got a delivery date. I'm dying to play EO again. Has anyone else had issues with getting it?

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not happy! I ordered with Amazon UK and I've still not got a delivery date. I'm dying to play EO again. Has anyone else had issues with getting it?

I ordered mine from Amazon FR sand didn't have any issues. I know some other UK folks had issues with getting their copy on time, so it would seem it's an UK-specific issue?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I ordered mine from Amazon FR sand didn't have any issues. I know some other UK folks had issues with getting their copy on time, so it would seem it's an UK-specific issue?

Yeah had to contact them. They apparently haven't received their shipment. The auto response said 15th Dec, but apparently that's not right. I'll probably have to re-order somewhere if no date by end of week. How disappointing >_<

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I beat Etrian Odyssey IV at level 65 and 67 hours. The first EO game I played and beat.
Meanwhile, I've been destroyed twice now by the 2nd Stratum boss. It's my first EO and this is my first major stumbling block and it's making me wonder if I'm too casual for this. I might rest people or try some new set-ups though, it's intriguing figuring out how everyone synergizes - I'm currently running Landshark/Fortress//Sniper/Rune/Medic. I hear Snipers get pretty short thrift in this game, which is a shame as I really like mine and I've grown attached to him. His name is Hanjo and his job is to bind and squall volley for them sweet links.

Also, did EO3 ever actually get released in the UK? Wikipedia suggests it didn't, but am I right in assuming that if I stick with the series I can import a copy and the 3DS will be able to play DS games from any region?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, I've been destroyed twice now by the 2nd Stratum boss. It's my first EO and this is my first major stumbling block and it's making me wonder if I'm too casual for this. I might rest people or try some new set-ups though, it's intriguing figuring out how everyone synergizes - I'm currently running Landshark/Fortress//Sniper/Rune/Medic. I hear Snipers get pretty short thrift in this game, which is a shame as I really like mine and I've grown attached to him. His name is Hanjo and his job is to bind and squall volley for them sweet links.
If you haven't tried already, it's worth noting that EO IV's 2nd stratum boss is very susceptible to leg binding - and the guest character they give you just happens to have leg binding Arcanist circles. There's a ton of synergizing options, but many of them don't open up until later in the game when more classes and class options open up.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If you haven't tried already, it's worth noting that EO IV's 2nd stratum boss is very susceptible to leg binding - and the guest character they give you just happens to have leg binding Arcanist circles. There's a ton of synergizing options, but many of them don't open up until later in the game when more classes and class options open up.
Thanks, I'll give it a go - I think I've been using Nerve and Chain Circle, maybe Snare will help more. Speaking of, the guest is really selling me on Arcanists, I can't wait to unlock more classes.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
EOIV's 2nd stratum boss is a well known newbie killer. She basically needs you to learn how to use binds well or it'll be almost impossible to win at the recommended level. Luckily you get a guest character that does just that, so make full use of her kit.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I figured she was the checkpoint for whether or not you've started to understand the game's systems properly. I think what it's mostly teaching me is to pay attention to what buffs, debuffs and binds are active and how offensively and defensively I'm playing. I didn't even realise until now that you can only have three active buffs on each person - I was undoing improved link for a while and thought it was just a glitch where additional links wouldn't activate!

Do people tend to carry a lot of TP restoring items or should I be able to take bosses out without it? I noticed my Landshark and Sniper were running low before I died on my second attempt.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TP management depends on your party and build, so it's a bit different for everyone. I personally carry two Amrita's at most.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I also finished EO4 recently with my party around level 60. The final boss was a total pushover, which is a shame because it seemed really menacing. Now I've reached the post-game dungeon and
why did it have to be so creepy? I'm scared while exploring it lol

Do people tend to carry a lot of TP restoring items or should I be able to take bosses out without it? I noticed my Landshark and Sniper were running low before I died on my second attempt.
I carry only a few and use them sparingly. Did you upgrade your active skills to the point where they require more TP? This may not be a good idea in the beginning because the upgrades are usually incremental and it mostly makes you burn through your TP much faster.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah rarely use Amritas but worth carrying a few in case of. You do need to keep your skills at the proper cost for your level, so like early game, until usually around 30 or so(but that varies on gear, class and game), you want to keep stuff at 4 and only get to 9 after once you have enough TP. And 10 around 50 or so, but again it depends, some skills have low TP cost even at 10 so you can upgrade them earlier especially if they're skills you only use on strong single target, while other skills have ridiculous cost increases and you're better off leaving them at 9 until like 60+ or whatever. It's really a case by case thing though.

I'm going through 5 atm, was fighting a FOE in 3rd stratum and like right before it died it decided to kill most of my team, then spent several turns trying to rez people but he kept killing stuff or panicking them and what not and eventually I just had to kill him with 2 of my team dead and now they're 30k xp behind and it really bothers me. I shrugged it off early game cause I knew losing 500xp or whatever would even out as I got higher but now it's a pretty big difference and I like having every char lvl up at the same time so trying to figure out a quest to turn in with just these 2 or whatever. Kinda wish I could craft these rez rings, I got one from a chest but I could use another, that's the main issue with not having an herbalist(well also suck at removing binds/ailments on a bunch of people).

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think I've stopped shy of upgrading to the point where skills ask for more TP, because I knew to expect the diminishing returns. My TP management is probably just an issue with how gung-ho I'm being - party heals or line heals instead of taunts and focused heals, lots of acc+crit buffs then squall volley from my Sniper, setting up and using links with my Landshark. I likely just need to be more slow, steady and thoughtful in battle. It's not proven an issue when exploring as usually my inventory is filling up and I'm ready to head back to Tharsis when my TP starts running low, but I guess when I first try to fight a FOE or a boss I'll burn through TP while still figuring out the best plan of action, so I suppose I should get used to the first attempts at a big fight being about sizing them up.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to bring my 3DS to work so I'm stucked playing EO 1 in my DS :P

Yikes, there was a shortcut I know where there was located, but for some reason it was inaccessible until I reached again. I suspect I don't saved progress the last time I play it.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
lots of acc+crit buffs then squall volley from my Sniper
I think a better use for a Sniper in that boss fight would be to focus on binds. Sniper's binding skills never miss so you don't have to worry about accuracy. Binding legs prevents the boss from evading your attacks, and binding its head disables most of its skills.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent way long on floor 10. But I money hungry right now and these monsters are pissing me off.

FUCK that bird that uses mimic!!!

EO5 btw

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
You're supposed to notice that they use mimic one turn and then the next one they don't, don't attack in the mimic turn lol.

Nice avatar btw.
Can kill them fine on first turn if you use like Wide Strike union to soften them up, they won't mimic if you kill them so as long as whoever attacks does good damage it wasn't much of an issue for me, other than my 1pt hawk dying every other encounter against them.

Been trying to get the rare drops from some FOEs on 14F for a quest, have to finish them with fire, but apparently not every melee skill takes on elements? Not too sure how it works, sometimes I'll get conditionals using skills, sometimes not. I finished one with Armor Break and it didn't give it to me which sucked cause then I had to kill another, made sure to use my shaman dance instead to kill him and guarantee the drop. Honestly I don't even know how most of my stuff works/if it even works, I should probably test. Like wether Dance Oracle actually increases damage on already weak to that element targets or wether Helm Splitter takes on element(it does look like it does). Kinda doing stuff and hoping it works for now.

Oct 25, 2017
I've almost exclusively used my union skills for defensive purposes and Black Miasma, but sure, if you can kill the damn birds in Turn 1 then you'll be fine.

I just think it's funny that Sabre didn't notice when he's almost done with the damn Stratum, haha. I'll say that sometimes I don't notice some obvious stuff, so we're all silly at times.

Stratum 2 wants to teach you that sometimes you shouldn't attack with the moles going underground for a turn, so you should defend. In the case of the birds it's to teach you about turn patterns, if you just auto-attack it's going to hurt to be careful.

I really like how simple and yet good the game is at teaching you how to play it properly so you're ready for the later challenges. I know it sounds obvious, but some games don't even try when it comes to enemy design or don't give you useful tools so they become "auto-attack and heal at times" the game.

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Well for my Union skills it's kinda 2 things, I either plan on fighting FOEs/Stratum boss, so I keep them and use them on Black Mist/Hygieia Bowl but when I'm exploring a floor I avoid FOEs and just use my unions on damage stuff to kill trash faster. Generally go Wild Strike on the first fight, then Double Attack with the Wild Strike char, Double Attack again with 3rd frontliner, then Mana Heal twice with my backline, and then just keep going until it recharges which doesn't take too long. I rarely use the big Unions for trash since they're rarely needed.

Quick question, is there a way to unsummon Hawks? I summon him by habit but on some floors he's pretty detrimental.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
So far I'm doing alright with my current team of Harbinger, Fencer, Rover, Botanist and Warlock. It might be a bit squishy, but it does great with ailments and DPS.

I transferred the demo data over, and I'm on floor 4. I already know that this is better than EOIV, and I'm super excited to get to the point when class trees really open up. The boat/airship navigation isn't really missed.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Also, did EO3 ever actually get released in the UK? Wikipedia suggests it didn't, but am I right in assuming that if I stick with the series I can import a copy and the 3DS will be able to play DS games from any region?

I don't think we got part 3 or 2 on the DS. You should be fine if you import the game and play it on the DS. I'm not 100% sure about the 3DS though. But it might also be a good idea to wait for a bit until Altus shows their new EO game on the 3DS. Many are speculating it might be EO3U.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't think we got part 3 or 2 on the DS. You should be fine if you import the game and play it on the DS. I'm not 100% sure about the 3DS though. But it might also be a good idea to wait for a bit until Altus shows their new EO game on the 3DS. Many are speculating it might be EO3U.
Yeah, I'll probably hit up the other Untolds, Q, and 5 first. I'm also very slow so if EO3U happens I doubt I'll have gotten around to 3 by then.

Also, thanks for the advice on 4's 2nd stratum boss, everyone! The third time was the admittedly still very frightening and tense charm.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
I only discovered this series around twee weeks ago because of my girlfriend and I immediately ordered a 3DS with Untold 2 and picked up EO4 from the eShop. I'm actually confused why I have never really looked at them before, because they have so many amazing systems. It feels like a perfect marriage between western and Japanese RPGs/ dungeon crawlers. It's also kind of amazing to still be able to find such 'hidden gems'. (no idea how popular they are exactly, but I had never noticed them before)

I love the map making for example. It's so strange to me that many games don't allow you to interact with their maps in any way whatsoever or only let you put down a single marker and it's one of my pet peeves. Games like the newest Zelda and the whole Divinity-series do it quite well, but so many other games don't, while they would be instantly improved if they did. And they don't need to go the full Etrian route, but just let people mark spots, let them add their notes, add some simple icons that can be put on the map. Really just quality of life features that are mostly absent in games.

Moreover, the whole create your own party and just enter that dungeon really appeals to me. I don't play games for their stories anymore and many JRPGs drown you in exposition and cutscenes every 10 steps. Not here. The game just lets you go wild from the beginning and doesn't dictate you how to play, besides some short tutorial pop-ups. Explore! And if you suck at choosing the right skills or have a crappy team composition, well, that's your problem, isn't it? Think before you act. The amount of customisation for your team/characters is frankly refreshing.

Also the combination of having both 'random' encounters and threatening foes that are visible and have their own behaviour is also quite brilliant. The FOEs feel like enemies from dungeon crawlers like Grimrock and its predecessors, but it skips the (to me) annoying combat where you have to dance around the enemy and poke at them, but replaces it with tactical turn-based strategy.

But I especially adore how so many battles are great experiences.Now, maybe this is because I'm still bad at the games, but I've had so many close calls in dungeons like the time when I had only my medic and runemaster left with no magic whatsoever who finished a Foe with a 2 damage hit just before they would have been wiped out. Or the time I had explored a huge part of a dungeon, unexpectedly lost my last Ariadne thread in an event, took a wrong turn and got into an unnecessary fight with only several of my characters left and no resources to win the battle, so I tried to escape but it failed over and over again until I had only one man standing and just before the finishing blow he managed to finally run away and I made it home, tattered, but I made it! (it does feel like escaping is easier with fewer characters still standing, is that a thing?)

Other things I appreciate
- you can't easily abuse the store, because you need the parts of enemies to buy all the good stuff. It limits the ways in which you can break the game and ties in neatly with the whole dungeon crawling.
- no quest markers
- events that can have bad consequences. Sometimes your curiosity just gets you (almost) killed.
- the constant threat, you need to go in prepared or you won't get much done or even get wiped as a reward for your carelessness.

So yeah, I'm glad to have been made aware of this series. There is so much much to love here. I'm just astounded by how great its systems are. Pure bliss. Noob out! :D