Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I hate "people are saying" journalism. The content of the article would stand on its own without including "some guy on Reddit also said "This sucks" in regards to the game."

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
But none of the new Guilty Gear games which is infuriating as hell. Same dev, same engine. DB is there as Shueisha/Bird wants it to be there. But when the dev makes the decision Switch is almost always skipped.
Eh, if he dev doesn't wanna be there or can't support another platform I'd rather they don't, patches and support are vital and nobody should buy a full priced copy and realize the company treats it as the bad version.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
70 is expensive and I'd never pay it but the fact that it runs on the switch at all is a triumph.

Haziqonfire

Banned
Jun 8, 2022
Toronto
They need to fix the issues for sure, but feature wise isn't Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch vs PS5/XSX mostly 1:1? My guess is that's why the publisher priced it at full price.

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize we were speaking $70 USD (the +$10 increase). I'm used to $79.99 games being the norm in Canada.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It probably should be $60 at least, but wow at the shit people trying to push.

Like it's the fucking Switch. It's essentially over a decade-old hardware at this point. What the hell do people expect? It's there for you if you want it, but what do people want them to just conduct magic and make the system more powerful?

It's insane enough that the game even operates on the damn thing really. Even the Steam Deck can't hit 60FPS with the game reliably. Really trying to get pissed at NRS for giving more options. If you want better graphics get a system that isn't ancient. If you want portability then realize it's still an option in that regard and suck it up.

God I hate "people are saying" journalism. The content of the article would stand on its own without including "some guy on Reddit also said "This sucks" in regards to the game."

It's the fucking worst.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, if he dev doesn't wanna be there or can't support another platform I'd rather they don't, patches and support are vital and nobody should buy a full priced copy and realize the company treats it as the bad version.
That's the whole problem with Nintendo and Switch in general. They have the massive demand but it's not always answered, unlike other platforms. People love handhelds, people love Nintendo's gimmicks and people want to game on this little device. When this hunger is not adequately satisfied publishers like 2K, Ubi, WB or EA will manipulate it. EA had been making banks with SAME FIFA game each year!

In this specific case, WB uploaded unfinished version of MK1 very early, the day it was announced. They wanted to maximize the preorders, hoping the port studio Saber would patch and support game after the launch.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
70$ is a ridiculous price but the fact that this game runs on a 2015 Tegra chip is quite honestly impressive in it's own way

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
We had it pretty good when handhelds would get tailored versions instead of ports like this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It probably should be $60 at least, but wow at the shit people trying to push.

Like it's the fucking Switch. It's essentially over a decade-old hardware at this point. What the hell do people expect? It's there for you if you want it, but what do people want them to just conduct magic and make the system more powerful?

It's insane enough that the game even operates on the damn thing really. Even the Steam Deck can't hit 60FPS with the game reliably. Really trying to get pissed at NRS for giving more options. If you want better graphics get a system that isn't ancient. If you want portability then realize it's still an option in that regard and suck it up.

It's the fucking worst.
It was actually supposed to be $60.

View: https://x.com/billbil_kun/status/1656571645039878145?s=46&t=2x5-kp_N8ple_n4_xLtYZA
WB likely changed course after the success of TotK, which was launched shortly before MK1's reveal.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
The bugs are unacceptable, but regarding graphics, come on… you know what you're getting when you willingly opt for the Switch version.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

lmao...Andromeda vibes

ab9.gif

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It sells. very well. MK11 is one of the best selling third party games on Switch, if not the best one.

Fighting games on portable systems always do surprisingly well, always been the case from GB to Vita. But, for some unexplainable reason, many major fighting franchises skipped Switch: Tekken, KoF, Dead or Alive, Soul calibur, Virtua Fighter... There's a massive demand and only WB Games chose to cash in.
Tekken 7 can't even hit 1080p on PS4, imagine Switch.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The bugs are unacceptable, but regarding graphics, come on… you know what you're getting when you willingly opt for the Switch version.

I think it's one thing for it to look less visually impressive, but to make cuts in areas that even older fighting games managed (e.g. facial animations) makes it below par.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This ain't even an accurate title because to have played MK1 so far you had to pay extra for the premium version. (Or got really lucky and got a physical release that broke the street date.)

How's those early days of gameplay going beta testers premium owners?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
anyone got a comparison to mk11 on switch? I recall that one, while scaled back, it ran a lot better than this and was at least presentable/functionable as a switch port.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
That li-Mei face, holy crap! Scorpion doesn't look bad so it varies it seems like.
Though another thing is the game doesn't have the big single player mode Invasions in it at all and apparently it's coming "soon".
Also MK11 was a lot rougher on launch on switch than how it eventually ended up with patches.
Here's hoping this will be heavily patched as well.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Who's talking about Tekken 7? A port of Tag Tournament 2 would have been acceptable and had a potential to sell over a million. Sad to see all those Nintendo themed costumes go waste...
TTT2 was deemed a failure, so I doubt Bamco was in any rush to port the game.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Don't worry. Switch 2 will be backwards compatible and the game will get a free upgrade.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The thing to me is that a lot of the issues are not because the Switch is weaker hardware but it just seems to be a half assed port full of compromises and bugs. The facial animations don't need the power of a PS5 or Series X to be rendered in similar fashion across the board.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the actual "kombat" screen looks pretty smooth (apart from the bug); seems like fidelity in the cutscenes is worth sacrificing for that. And I'm sure they can iron out some of those bugs in patches.

But yeah they probably should've stuck with $60.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I should add that, on the contrary to what we believe, Saber is not the best port studio on Switch. Sure we all were amazed by how The Witcher ran and looked on the console but their other port jobs were just ok. Vampyr, World War Z, Mudrunner... They all were heavily compromised, especially on their launch day. They do their job well but not as good as others, such as Turn me up or QLOC.

But the good news is they do support their ports for years. The Witcher 3 got a patch this year, 4 years after the launch, even. They will fix all the bugs in time.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
All of you should have voted with your wallet when Sony and Activision pushed for $70

Now Nintendo did it with ToTK and look where we are now

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the Digital Foundry video.

It'll be interesting to see what they find and whether the port studio will be able to comment on what choices they made. Clearly they valued framerate and feature parity at the cost of model and other graphical quality.

I'm going to bet memory limits are to blame for a lot of the issues we're seeing.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
$70 is bad, but I was expecting some sort of disaster. Seeing it in motion and from sources who I trust in regards to Switch port impressions, it's actually a bit impressive they were able to cram it into a handheld at all. You're not looking for viable hardware that's able to run this game at 4k60 for it to be tournament viable, it was always going to be a portable iteration with a ton of concessions so it could run on a near decade old mobile chip. But to reiterate, this being the same price as the current gen versions IS a pretty hilarious ask.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
$70, looks like that, runs terribly, loaded with glitches. I genuinely think this version shouldn't have made it out the door and this is coming from someone who thought MK11's Switch port was fantastic given the hardware constraints.

If you haven't pre-ordered, I'd say you're better off skipping this version entirely unless there's a series of miracle patches. It's going to be a fucking Herculean effort getting this to a point of acceptability though:

Last edited:

MadJosh04

Nov 9, 2022
I'll give Zelda a pass with its $70 price tag because of how ambitious the game ended up being, but I honestly believe not a single Switch game should be $70. 7 year old hardware doesn't suddenly need a price increase on its software at the end of its life. Just greed on WB part.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
$70, looks like that, runs terribly, loaded with glitches. I genuinely think this version shouldn't have made it out the door and this is coming from someone who thought MK11's Switch port was fantastic given the hardware constraints.

If you haven't pre-ordered, I'd say you're better off skipping this version entirely unless there's a series of miracle patches. It's going to be a fucking Herculean effort getting this to a point of acceptability though:

View: https://streamable.com/1kk71o

Just like Bart!

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I got it for PC and it's ridden with bugs and stutters all around.. my other option (and my preferred one) is the Switch version, but I guess I'll wait for the next patch.

The graphics don't bother me. I just want content parity and less bugs

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aside from the graphical issues (the fighting itself looks decent, but they really should have had separate face models for close-ups), the game on Switch actually is incomplete (Invasion mode only has Cage's mansion right now), and there are some really common graphical glitches when you use brutalities. Also characters with long hair sometimes have their hair outright disappearing in cutscenes (or in Sindel's case even during gameplay).

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Zelda a pass with its $70 price tag because of how ambitious the game ended up being, but I honestly believe not a single Switch game should be $70. 7 year old hardware doesn't suddenly need a price increase on its software at the end of its life. Just greed on WB part.
This is bullshit to charge $70 for Switch when no one else is doing that.

But I don't think there is an any good argument for $70 on any platform. Companies will charge as much as they can get away with because higher prices will lead to higher profits.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. If anyone really wants this on Switch, wait for the sale price.

Who is that in the grey shirt in the first tweet? Is that guy modelled on Elon Musk? Haha.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The loading times are also pretty bad. Really awkward switch from pre rendered cutscene to gameplay

View: https://youtu.be/etI1C3Pi7mI?si=eilt2sSRhqb_DMl0&t=722

Game was clearly made for an SSD

Yeesh that *is* awkward. I was expecting this to look worse than MK11 due to it being UE4 and not having an Xbox 360 version to base the port off of, but some of these concessions are completely unexpected. They should do the loading *first* if the cutscene isn't going to fully cover it... unless they don't have the ability to load the fighting sequence *and* play the video. I expect the Switch devs are taking a game designed without the hardware in mind and doing their best, and if they focused on making the game look and play as well as a possible during the actual fights, then yeah, okay, that should be the focus...

But again the lack of facial animation is wild and has me thinking it has to be a bug. Right? That can't be something they had to cut for memory or game size constraints could it?