• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Confirming a leak that surfaced earlier this week, Epic Games says that its upcoming Android release for Fortnite will not use Google Play as a distribution platform. Instead, phone users download an installer from Epic's website and install the game directly, bypassing Google's store completely. "Epic's goal is to bring its games directly to customers. We believe gamers will benefit from competition among software sources on Android," says Tim Sweeney. "Competition among services gives consumers lots of great choices and enables the best to succeed based on merit."

Is this just a way for Epic to keep the 30 per cent that Google would take if you were on Play?

Avoiding the 30 per cent "store tax" is a part of Epic's motivation. It's a high cost in a world where game developers' 70 per cent must cover all the cost of developing, operating, and supporting their games. And it's disproportionate to the cost of the services these stores perform, such as payment processing, download bandwidth, and customer service. We're intimately familiar with these costs from our experience operating Fortnite as a direct-to-customer service on PC and Mac.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-on-android-doesnt-use-google-play-confirmed

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I see no issues with this. I also see no real upsides for the consumer either so... eh?

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
If they could bypass Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Apple they would.

It's more money for the company so it's not a surprise.

They are just taking advantage of that fact that Android is the only open platform out of the popular ones.

Tencent doesn't own Epic completely but if they did, I'd be very concerned with this game installing through a backdoor on my phone.

Chinese companies a.k.a. the Chinese government is one of the least trustworthy entities in the world.

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, "we're not trying to give google a cut of our IAP."

Totally expected. And a non issue, imo

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
so they asking folks to enable unknown sources? that might be a problem

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wouldn't this hurt the awareness of the game? I don't know how Google Play works but if it's like the App Store then the most popular games are always visible for people.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I see no issues with this. I also see no real upsides for the consumer either so... eh?

Haven't read the article yet, but depending on how they plan to do the install, it might require the user to go into his settings and allow the installation of APKs from "untrusted sources" in the security settings. Thats .... a very big deal for the average joe imo.

so they asking folks to enable unknown sources? that might be a problem

This.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
We feel customers benefit from competing software sources, so we've decided to keep our game off a competing software source.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I find this honestly to be very... Um... Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh at best with Tencent involved.

Smells like the perfect vector for Chinese spyware to me.

Also a lot of people gonna be downloading compromised APKs because of this.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doing the same on an iphone is basically impossible, right? unless epic asked customers to sideload via xcode/itunes

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't actually a upside for customer here it's just they want to keep more money in their pockets.

Sylverstone

Nothing amazing happens here.
Oct 24, 2017
New York City
meanwhile at Google:
rsz_n08a8no.png

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big middle finger to Google, but I can't really say that I blame Epic here. It seems silly for them to pay a 30% tax on basically nothing. Fortnite certainly doesn't need the exposure that the Google Play store would offer either.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I find this honestly to be very... Um... Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh at best with Tencent involved.

Yeah, considering the APK won't have proper google cert signed, coupled with all kinds of malware possibilities, it's certainly going to be interesting.

Plus Tencent spying as a bonus! Also, there are going to be people duped into downloading malware from shady sites because they got transferred, clicked in the wrong place etc...

On a separate note, good on Google to allow 3rd party install permissions per app without dev mode (haven't properly used Android in years besides locked down work device).

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if it were a paid app, this might be more of an issue due to piracy from sketchy sites, but i think most fornite players would know to go the official epic site to download it, just as they did the pc desktop version.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, i forgot Tencent is involved. Yeah, that's a risky thing Epic's trying to do ... fake APKs will appear en masse without a proper signed one, i don't know if those 30% cut (which i agree is too much) is worth the hassle and potential problems.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Android already has a "problem" of people not spending as much money in games as iOS users, I wonder if this will hurt the developers in the end.

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Lots of V-Bucks scams will have people do this.

Bad look, Tencent. I don't trust companies that are loyal to the CCP

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, considering the APK won't have proper google cert signed, coupled with all kinds of malware possibilities, it's certainly going to be interesting.

Plus Tencent spying as a bonus! Also, there are going to be people duped into downloading malware from shady sites because they got transferred, clicked in the wrong place etc...

On a separate note, good on Google to allow 3rd party install permissions per app without dev mode (haven't properly used Android in years besides locked down work device).

Let's be real, most Android devices are loaded to boot with Google so I really doubt people care about spying at this point.
I was actually thinking about making a topic for this since gamers seem to be one of the least caring communities about privacy, literally everything we do is tracked and recorded, and nobody bats an eye. We are the product.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I can see this opening the opportunity for scammers to install fishy APKs on people's machines. Not any different than Fortnite on PC but I feel like some of the primary target for these kind of attacks have moved to mobile (in part thanks to its avoidance of these issues).

Also the APK for Fortnite shouldn't be signed this way. Iirc correctly, only way to get your APK signed is by uploading it to the Play Store.

You can sign your app yourself before uploading it to Google Play.