• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you mean The Fantastic Mr. Star Fox? :D

Hahaha yeah :D

Great suggestions. I'm hoping that since Retro is developing this, we might get something more impressive than the usual Star Fox games.
Yes, i hope they try to do something interesting with the artsyle, like the craft model feeling of puppet tv serials (the characters alreay have it in zero, we just need everything else).

Eh, too much edge for me.

Zero has the best Wolf design in my eyes. It's a nice blend of his 64 and Assault incarnations.

latest
Zero has the best character designs for everybody.

The Zero designs are great.
The CG renders don't show them as nice as the character portraits and the anime do
I think the GC renders and portraits look absolutely great. The anime vectorized textures CG short they released? not so much.

I hope stuff from Star Fox 2 makes it in.
I really REALLY hope Faye and Miyu appear. Racing competiton is a great way to present them in this universe finally, and still having Krystal, that im 90% she is back.

Star Fox Zero style is perfect. PERFECT.
Yup. The character designs and even the airwing design were perfect, is the low poly counts and bland scenery desings and effects its biggest problem.

Yup, for the character designs at least. All the vehicles need a bump in complexity and modernization. Or they can use the Assault vehicle designs.

Assault arwing >>>>>>
Im not a big fan of the assualt airwings, they look like paper crafts that are going to blow off at any moment. The joints have more machinery, yes, but they way they unite to the main body? ugh.
latest

Much of a fan of the zero ones:
arwing_ii_concept_sketch_by_jecbrush-d7c8j5f.jpg

The blue parts look much nicer, and the wings more detailed and realistic. It just needs a bump in textures so it doesnt look so much as a cartoon.

Oct 25, 2017
this reminds me when insiders were were suggesting Mario Odyssey would launch with Switch and Botw would come in June.

Basically, yeah. Sometimes I think these insiders overthink things based on the information they have. Like how Odyssey was "essentially finished" leading them to believe it would come at launch and Zelda would be bumped. When those of us without insider knowledge were confident that wouldn't be the case because it wouldn't make any sense. Zelda had been in development and was known about for sooooooo long, and we figured it was probably delayed to release on Switch, and Mario had basically just been announced, so it makes far more sense for Zelda to be done and ready to go at launch and for Mario to be not done, or held back if it was close to done. Sometimes having that extra knowledge might make you second guess obvious stuff like that, rather than occam's razoring it like people without insider knowledge have to do. That is, unless a genuinely reliable source literally tells you the exact specifications of the release dates. But obviously, based on track records, that doesn't happen very often.

So thinking about it this way, it makes perfect sense for this game to both be revealed at E3 this year and release this year. Retro has been silent for an incredibly long time, E3 generally has some surprises, Nintendo is getting better at revealing games and releasing them in a not too many months, and big leaks usually come out sooner to a game being finished, rather than earlier.

I'm perfectly prepared to be wrong, I don't actually know anything. But ignoring insiders, who haven't proven reliable on finer details like dates, just thinking logically I imagine most all of us would have assumed an E3 reveal and 2018 release.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

The blue parts look much nicer, and the wings more detailed and realistic. It just needs a bump in textures so it doesnt look so much as a cartoon.
I like that design, but isn't this technically its appearance in Zero?

WiiU_StarFoxZero_vehicle_03_png_jpgcopy-656x480.jpg

EDIT: Yeah, that's fanart of the Arwing II from Command.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's why I'm growing increasingly suspicious about this leak. If this was an outsourced game a la Mario and Rabbids, or a studio detached from Nintendo like Pokémon I'd believe it more, but there aren't many incidents of a game from Nintendo's internal, first party studios being leaked. Especially so far from E3.

In fact the only one I can think of in recent memory is Mario Maker, but even that was only leaked because someone actually talk of photo of it on the show floor.
there was Breath of the Wild
https://nintendoeverything.com/zeld...a-bit-of-a-leak-before-e3-and-no-one-noticed/

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Hahaha yeah :D

Yes, i hope they try to do something interesting with the artsyle, like the craft model feeling of puppet tv serials (the characters alreay have it in zero, we just need everything else).

Zero has the best character designs for everybody.

I think the GC renders and portraits look absolutely great. The anime vectorized textures CG short they released? not so much.

I really REALLY hope Faye and Miyu appear. Racing competiton is a great way to present them in this universe finally, and still having Krystal, that im 90% she is back.

Yup. The character designs and even the airwing design were perfect, is the low poly counts and bland scenery desings and effects its biggest problem.

Im not a big fan of the assualt airwings, they look like paper crafts that are going to blow off at any moment. The joints have more machinery, yes, but they way they unite to the main body? ugh.
latest

That's Star Fox Command arwing, not Zero. Both are great, though. I'm not a fan of Assault arwing either, even though I think we all can agree that the worst is the Star Fox Adventures one:

latest

Oct 25, 2017

"Contractor: Space Dynamics"

That's one thing this game needs. Different made up companies that make all the vehicles and sponsor all the racers. Especially if there's consistency between the different designs of different companies, and you can actually tell the difference between a Space Dynamics vehicle and another company's.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
That's Star Fox Command arwing, not Zero. Both are great, though. I'm not a fan of Assault arwing either, even though I think we all can agree that the worst is the Star Fox Adventures one:

latest

To be fair, the Adventures design is kind of meant to be lousy looking on purpose. That game takes place like nearly an entire decade after Star Fox 64 where there's been no major conflict in the Lylat System, so naturally the Great Fox and the arwings are all old, rusting and in disarray due to the team not having the funds to repair and maintain them, which is why they agree to take the trek to Dinosaur Planet/Sauria in the first place.

Jan 11, 2018
Thanks! Glad to hear. I worry for Prime 4. Every time I see Prime, I remember how much of it felt unique to Retro. It almost feels like playing a Metal Gear without Kojima. I've resigned myself to accepting something different, but hopefully is great! A new team will hopefully utilize their strength, while keeping the core of Prime alive.

I don't believe Prime 4 will quite reach the original trilogy, but I'm pretty confident it will be better than Metal Gear Survive.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Wasn't that 'Grand Prix' logo debunked a few days ago? the NVC one is the same we have seen before with an SNES Arwing silhouette.

I want this game to be real but sometimes it's hard to believe it, not for how strange a Star Fox racer by Retro Studios sounds, but for how many of the game sites that reported it where just a "We heard it too" without really corroborating it. The specific gameplay details that were given by IGN (crediting the 'Nintendo fan community') or Liam podcast are just too similar to what was said by that reddit leaker that if I remember well failed in a lot of info that he provided in the past, and well, the only thing that I can say about Liam is how hit or miss his past reports were and that he sometimes gets carried away.

There are many individuals reporting about it and in this case it really seems that this is the real deal... but even so, I would take all of this with a grain of salt while there is not more solid evidence.

If it exists it will probably be announced in a month anyway

Honestly with so many outlets reporting on this game I would be shocked if it wasn't real now. It would be a major hit to almost everyone's credibility if it turned out to be false.

I think Star Fox Grand Prix is just a codename, so I don't really believe the logo stuff.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I like that design, but isn't this technically its appearance in Zero?

WiiU_StarFoxZero_vehicle_03_png_jpgcopy-656x480.jpg

EDIT: Yeah, that's fanart of the Arwing II from Command.

You are totally right. Then My favourite is arwing II from command, at least that artwork from it. The closed blue parts from the zero one do not look that good.

To be fair, the Adventures design is kind of meant to be lousy looking on purpose. That game takes place like nearly an entire decade after Star Fox 64 where there's been no major conflict in the Lylat System, so naturally the Great Fox and the arwings are all old, rusting and in disarray due to the team not having the funds to repair and maintain them, which is why they agree to take the trek to Dinosaur Planet/Sauria in the first place.

Yeah, but that doesnt mean changing the artsyle into a bulky rounded mess :P

"Contractor: Space Dynamics"

That's one thing this game needs. Different made up companies that make all the vehicles and sponsor all the racers. Especially if there's consistency between the different designs of different companies, and you can actually tell the difference between a Space Dynamics vehicle and another company's.
The problem is in star fox lore Slippy makes the airwings.
But contractors would be cool for other characters outside of the star fox team.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, yeah. Sometimes I think these insiders overthink things based on the information they have. Like how Odyssey was "essentially finished" leading them to believe it would come at launch and Zelda would be bumped. When those of us without insider knowledge were confident that wouldn't be the case because it wouldn't make any sense. Zelda had been in development and was known about for sooooooo long, and we figured it was probably delayed to release on Switch, and Mario had basically just been announced, so it makes far more sense for Zelda to be done and ready to go at launch and for Mario to be not done, or held back if it was close to done. Sometimes having that extra knowledge might make you second guess obvious stuff like that, rather than occam's razoring it like people without insider knowledge have to do. That is, unless a genuinely reliable source literally tells you the exact specifications of the release dates. But obviously, based on track records, that doesn't happen very often.

So thinking about it this way, it makes perfect sense for this game to both be revealed at E3 this year and release this year. Retro has been silent for an incredibly long time, E3 generally has some surprises, Nintendo is getting better at revealing games and releasing them in a not too many months, and big leaks usually come out sooner to a game being finished, rather than earlier.

I'm perfectly prepared to be wrong, I don't actually know anything. But ignoring insiders, who haven't proven reliable on finer details like dates, just thinking logically I imagine most all of us would have assumed an E3 reveal and 2018 release.

Yeah this is an interesting thought. And anyway no one has said that it's impossible for it to be coming this year, so I think some insiders may have learned a bit not to report or guess tentative release dates, when that has proven so unreliable.

So I'll hope for it to come this year but be ready for it not to even be shown till next year.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't believe Prime 4 will quite reach the original trilogy, but I'm pretty confident it will be better than Metal Gear Survive.
Announcer: Introducing....!!! Metroid Prime 4!!!!
*Zombies pop out
*Audience Chirps
Announcer: METROID PRIME 444444444!!!!
*Audience ignores him
Announcer: Why are you not applauding???

But, for real, I expect far better than Survive, at least LOL. I can have those expectations, yes?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Did he now? The Star Fox wikia says they were manufactered by Space Dynamics.

Although it does say that his dad Beltino worked there, so maybe they made them together or something. I know they did collaborate on making the Blue-Marine.

The lore they've rebooted 3 times?

Technically two reboots, but three fresh starts, and so many branching paths

Yeah, they probably dont give much of a thought oif lore anymore with star fox hahaha

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly the only real game I maybe don't see them touching is the original metroid Prime. Prime 2 and 3 while great games shouldn't be difficult to surpass.

I'm in the minority, but I actually think the Prime series got better with each game. All three are top 10 games of all time for me though so. My tastes in Metroid are a bit off the wall though, my favorite 2D games are Metroid 2 and Fusion. I think the series is at it's best when it deviates a bit from the classic formula.

Announcer: Introducing....!!! Metroid Prime 4!!!!
*Zombies pop out
*Audience Chirps
Announcer: METROID PRIME 444444444!!!!
*Audience ignores him
Announcer: Why are you not applauding???

But, for real, I expect far better than Survive, at least LOL. I can have those expectations, yes?

Yes. As much reservations as I have about Tanabe and Bamco, I think we will at least get a solid game, even if it doesn't live up to the series legacy.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Edit: Nevermind

So MP4 looks pretty gorgeous eh? Not surprised. Great to hear.

The thing about Prime 4 is it pretty much has to play very differently from the games before it, I can't see how it won't. It "needs" to get "modernized".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The thing about Prime 4 is it pretty much has to play very differently from the games before it, I can't see how it won't. It "needs" to get "modernized".
Bamco leverages UE4 exceptionally well, so it comes as no suprise

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the other project is still safe and sound, hopefully someone can shed more light on that.

Wait where does the MP4 talk comes from?

Oct 25, 2017
Before Zero was properly shown off I was wishing for a mech mode. I'm glad we got it and the transformation is cool, but why does it look like a chicken?

Star Wolf transforms into an awesome wolf mech. The lone fight against Wolf is super good

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Before Zero was properly shown off I was wishing for a mech mode. I'm glad we got it and the transformation is cool, but why does it look like a chicken?

Star Wolf transforms into an awesome wolf mech. The lone fight against Wolf is super good

Because it's based on the design of the walkers from Star Fox 2:

latest

That being said, yeah it's pretty lame how Star Wolf gets these wicked sick wolf mechs while Star Fox gets these lame ass chickens lol

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority, but I actually think the Prime series got better with each game. All three are top 10 games of all time for me though so. My tastes in Metroid are a bit off the wall though, my favorite 2D games are Metroid 2 and Fusion. I think the series is at it's best when it deviates a bit from the classic formula.

Pretty much the same for me. I love Fusion and I'm re-playing Metroid Prime 3, I thought it was a masterpiece when it came out and I stand by it today, it's a wonderful game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New Leak from my sources:

Metroid game will look nice

Please keep this to ResetEra, I don't want it spreading around the net

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think Prime 4 can reasonably pass Prime 3 for me.

I don't expect it to pass 1 or 2 at all.

I also expect to completely love the game. 1 and 2 are just in my top 5 of all time.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Glad to hear. I worry for Prime 4. Every time I see Prime, I remember how much of it felt unique to Retro. It almost feels like playing a Metal Gear without Kojima. I've resigned myself to accepting something different, but hopefully is great! A new team will hopefully utilize their strength, while keeping the core of Prime alive.
dont forget prime hunters . the prime series has great non retro entries.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
We should probably be friends.

Now I want like full on bonkers Star Fox. Like Fast and Furious dumb.

You should be able to air jack other Arwings.

When you crash you shsould have a limited time to be launched through the windshield and be able to hijack another players arwing

Like Mario Kart double dash you can have two players and one is on the wing like before but the shooting system will be designed by Mikami to be good.
The talk of recent FatF movies makes me hope every boss battle is just one of those big ass setpieces, like the airstrip or the submarine chase. a modernisation of the SF64 train boss would be right at home with a speed/racing focus. Just make everything 5 times faster, and each time a train car gets blow up, it flips around and take out other enemy pilots

Not to mention the one constant in the series has been the earnest interpersonal relationships and drama—the few times (one time?) that's been capitalized have been great, like Fox following what might be his father out of Andross' lair. If we get moments where Fox and some rival character have to put aside their differences mid-race to take out a greater threat, and we get a moment like

Vin-Diesel-Helps-The-Rock-Up.gif

then it'll be great

ALL OF THIS!!

Let's somehow add prison breakout segment too.

MAP8zlc.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so if Star Fox is looking likely for an e3 reveal, how do we think the e3 showing will be structured?
I'm guessing Smash will take a large spot, maybe opening and closing the show.
I'm kind of hoping they tie Smash into e3 reveals.
Like, hey, maybe there is no Metroid Prime footage yet, but we get a CG Smash teaser.
Show Samus in a new Prime suit (or just *the* Prime suit) fighting another Metroid rep. Maybe Ridley or Sylux.
Since they're in space Fox and Falco show up to help sporting new looks and maybe the return of Wolf or maybe Slippy or something.
This could tie things together and help promote both new games.

Was looking back at e3 2014 and 2015 and they were really well produced, but the last two e3s were mostly focused around one game. This e3 should be different so I'm hoping they carry on theming.

Really hoping they give Star Fox a new look and to bring back Wolf sporting that excellent Zero design

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so if Star Fox is looking likely for an e3 reveal, how do we think the e3 showing will be structured?
I'm guessing Smash will take a large spot, maybe opening and closing the show.
I'm kind of hoping they tie Smash into e3 reveals.
Like, hey, maybe there is no Metroid Prime footage yet, but we get a CG Smash teaser.
Show Samus in a new Prime suit (or just *the* Prime suit) fighting another Metroid rep. Maybe Ridley or Sylux.
Since they're in space Fox and Falco show up to help sporting new looks and maybe the return of Wolf or maybe Slippy or something.
This could tie things together and help promote both new games.

Was looking back at e3 2014 and 2015 and they were really well produced, but the last two e3s were mostly focused around one game. This e3 should be different so I'm hoping they carry on theming.

Really hoping they give Star Fox a new look and to bring back Wolf sporting that excellent Zero design
Smash Bros debuts the show

Newcomer trailers shown in-between major game reveals

Save the biggest "surprise" newcomer for last (probably a third party inclusion)

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Honestly the only real game I maybe don't see them touching is the original metroid Prime. Prime 2 and 3 while great games shouldn't be difficult to surpass.
I can agree with this. While they'll probably keep some bits of 3, it's the weakest of the bunch and the most linear one. The fact sheet about MP4 heavily implies they're looking more at 1 in terms of atmosphere/gameplay.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thoughts:
Will they make you have your own "avatar" racer, or will you be able to pick out of pilots (and vehicles) given to you?
If the latter, how many pilots will there be? I don't expect there to be more than 20, but also likely more than 10, I'd say probably between 12-15. Where I imagine we'll get the 6 Star Fox members from SF2 (Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Miyu and Fay) as well as the 5 Star Wolf members (Wolf, Andrew, Leon, Pigma and Panther). Probably Krystal, plus one or two original characters introduced for it. Could see there being James McCloud, General Pepper, ROB64 and Katt (to up the female roster a bit more) and a cameo from F-Zero, possibly Octoman since he already had been in a Star Fox game before. That said, other than Panther and Krystal, I think they'll most likely stick to the SF64 cast.
Don't think any other minor characters like Bill or Andross' army goons would pop up. Perhaps for a sequel if this does well.

Jan 10, 2018
Smash will officially close the show and probably take 6-10 minutes. Nintendo is rather consistent in that regard.

Than the good ol' one more thing and (guess incoming) we will revisit the Smash characters, Resetera will have a complete meltdown how they can waste our time like that, one character gets somehow seperated(probably Fox) and boom here is his game.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto made Star Fox Zero a reboot just to get rid of Krystal. There is no way that she is appearing on this game.
That's more like a job for Miyu and Fay.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Bill would be in before the SF2 duo, but it's hard to say how series-wide the potential character selection would be.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone likes to talk about Miyu and Fay, but what about that Algy fellow?

latest

For awhile I assumed he was just a prototype version of Andrew, but concept art of SF2 that Nintendo recently released showed that it might of been the other way around, lol

DIjuv52XcAIi_wu.jpg

I'm pretty sure Miyamoto made Star Fox Zero a reboot just to get rid of Krystal. There is no way that she is appearing on this game.

I mean...that Star Fox Zero anime short did give a shout out to Sauria/Dinosaur Planet. And the official book they released alongside the SNES Mini/Star Fox 2 did acknowledge Krystal as a series mainstray.

Jan 11, 2018
I think if this is actually real, it would be somewhere in the middle of the E3 direct. I don't think it's a hype enough game to open or close. I think they open with Smash, and close with an elaborate Prime 4 gameplay trailer.

dont forget prime hunters . the prime series has great non retro entries.

Prime spinoffs are all mediocre. I'd take Pinball over Hunters or FF any day.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's based on the design of the walkers from Star Fox 2:

latest

That being said, yeah it's pretty lame how Star Wolf gets these wicked sick wolf mechs while Star Fox gets these lame ass chickens lol

The mech battles were platinum as fuck hahaha

Something tellms me are going to see the three of them in the game. And im ok.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
I think if this is actually real, it would be somewhere in the middle of the E3 direct. I don't think it's a hype enough game to open or close. I think they open with Smash, and close with an elaborate Prime 4 gameplay trailer.

Prime spinoffs are all mediocre. I'd take Pinball over Hunters or FF any day.
Nah they'll definitely close with Smash, not open with it. They opened with Xenoblade last year, which is a niche game, but closed with Odyssey.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Smash will officially close the show and probably take 6-10 minutes. Nintendo is rather consistent in that regard.

Than the good ol' one more thing and (guess incoming) we will revisit the Smash characters, Resetera will have a complete meltdown how they can waste our time like that, one character gets somehow seperated(probably Fox) and boom here is his game.

Smash was already that "one last thing" in the last direct. For this E3 direct the smash trailer will be shown first. The Prime 4 will not be be left for last either because that's not a surprise anymore. Trailer will probably drop mid-presentation.

Don't know what will be left for last. Maybe Star Fox racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.