• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the forum narrative that Retro is forced to work on these projects, like how they were "forced" to make two Donkey Kong games.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
- Works on Donkey Kong Games
- Then works on a Star Fox spin-off...

When does Microsoft buy retro then?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game that no-one asked. Goddamn Ninty just give Retro some ambitious project, they have always delivered!

Why cant this be ambitious? I swear people made the same complaints about dk than ended up worshipping that game. I would say diddy kong racing was an ambitious game for its time and id love to see what that formula on a modern budget looks like

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
Are people really that surprised that Retro would do Star Fox over F ZERO? Star Fox is the more popular game. Even weird experimental games like Adventures and Assault outperformed F ZERO GX. Let's be real, Star Fox has always been the more popular franchise, and has a more recognizable cast of characters. Unlike F ZERO, where it's main protagonist isn't even best known from his own game.

I support this idea 100% This is just the typical Retro cycle. Said the same thing about Prime being first person until they PLAYED it. Same thing about "wasting talents" on Tropical Freeze until they PLAYED it. Doing the same thing all over again. I thought this, with the inclusion of Mario+Rabbids would've gotten people to reserve judgement until seeing it in action.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
People behaving like FZero is a legitimate franchise LMAO!

That franchise has been dead for eons and let's not ignore the fact that the last game on that franchise sold like shit so where were all of you lot preaching the good will of FZero when it was flopping harder than a fish out of water?

200.gif
Star Fox sells like shit as well in the post-N64 era.

Clix

Banned
I wish Nintendo would just let Star Fox die. Zero was the final nail in the coffin for me. And now Retro is potentially stuck with it, after not having anything for the last four years? This is so disappointing. Even if the game is great (which, given it's Retro, probably will be) I just won't care anymore.

Retro feels like such a mismanagement asset.

AKA, "Retro is not making the game I want" is what that sounds like. It's the whole "They were forced to make DKC" thing all over again.

And some of us love the franchise despite Zero and don't want it to die.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not really sure I'd say that.

Captain Falcon at least is a fan favorite character just because of Smash, people love the guy.

I've never heard anyone think any of Star Fox's characters are amazing.

Plus a lot of F-Zero is a blank slate. They'd have tons of freedom.

what is easier to market to the nintendo audience : a bunch of weirdly designed characters (with the sole exception of the godlike captain falcon) or a cartoon-like universe made of animals that had several reps in smash bros games ?
and as you said, the f-zero universe is blank, they'd have to start from scratch

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's two things

1. I was looking up about recent hires from Retro Studio, I was sure it was going to be some kind of sci fi story based RPG/Adventure game, so seeing that it's based on an IP that hasn't been doing so well and changing the genre to something that could be done with another IP kind of makes me a bitt annoyed.
2. F-zero is their sci fi racing franchise, why not just put rockets on their cars and make them fly? Hell, they could of put Star Fox characters in there for extra marketing.

I'm still suspicious about this. Guess i'll wait and see.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same people who want to say "oh it's DK all over again" no it's not. Don't tell me that.

DKC is atleast a MAIN title to the series. This is a spinoff to a almost dead series and it's racing. A genre that's very limited.
We don't actually know it's a spin off. Racing games are not any more limited than side scrolling platformers. Metroid and Donkey Kong were both dead by the time Retro got their hands on them and revived them.
Chill.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they have any hearts at all, they'll at least let you unlock Captain Falcon as a racer and you can use him. I'll even beg T_T

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
what is easier to market to the nintendo audience : a bunch of weirdly designed characters (with the sole exception of the godlike captain falcon) or a cartoon-like universe made of animals that had several reps in smash bros games ?
and as you said, the f-zero universe is blank, they'd have to start from scratch
How much did ARMS sell again?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I have faith this will be really good at a minimum but I am chuckling at the thought of new Retro hires going in on their first day and being told they're working on a star fox racer.

IgMyx.gif

Exactly this. Peoples should stop the "Bu but the quality!" narrative. Nobody doubts that. It's just near 0 in the scale of excitement.

What would sony fans think if Naughty dogs annonce next that it's working on Everybody's Golf racer? I mean for sure it'll be good, but was that what you had in mind?.....

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like something I'd play and love but i question the business logic of making a spinoff to a nearly-dead series influenced by a totally dead series

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember Tropical Freeze, at least not when it first released on wii U, wanna know why? That platform was loaded to the brink with platformers by the time DK:TP was out, no matter how good the game was, there's a reason it flopped.

A 2D Mario game (NSMBU), a 3D Mario game (Mario 3D World) and a Rayman platformer on February 14, 2014 is "loaded to the brink with platformers"?

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Boy, this thread is moving fast. Who's this "Stealth" dude on the twitters, and why should we care what they say?

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are too hung up by which IP is being used. As long as it's a good game, I don't really care. The existence of this game wouldn't be the reason Star Fox can't have a "proper" game or the reason F-Zero can't have a game. It's like the Smash Bros argument where people claim a character's inclusion prevented another character from getting in. I don't think that's how it works at all.

I'm pretty confident that it'll be a well-designed game. I have a pretty open mind toward the idea, and I'm looking forward to the reveal.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
People behaving like FZero is a legitimate franchise LMAO!

That franchise has been dead for eons and let's not ignore the fact that the last game on that franchise sold like shit so where were all of you lot preaching the good will of FZero when it was flopping harder than a fish out of water?

200.gif
Star Fox has been on a faster decline than F-Zero.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Well color me surprised. This was definitely not what I expected Retro's next big game to be. Cautiously optimistic. Retro's not done us wrong yet, but there's a first time for everything.

Agree with the consensus though that whatever this game ends up being, the decision to ignore F-Zero for a new sci-fi racer title is baffling. Maybe the game will actually merge the F-Zero and Starfox worlds? They're similar enough and there's already references back and forth between them as-is.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
People say F-Zero is dead. The only reason it's dead and Star Fox still goes is because of Miyamoto lol.

Like any franchise at Nintendo, that's how it works for these old IPs.

2D Metroid is alive because of Sakamoto.

Metroid Prime -> Tanabe

We may see a new Wave Race simply because Shinya Takahashi (who directed WR64) is now one of the most influential people at Nintendo.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping a new Donkey Kong is being developed as well. Perhaps a Donkey Kong Odyssey like game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Being fair, even if neither of them is an IP A or even B of Nintendo, Star Fox is more important than F-Zero.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can Retro necro Star Fox like they did with Metroid and Donkey Kong? That'd be incredible and only strengthen their already impressive resume.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It needs to be more unique and not a straight F-Zero or even Diddy Kong Racing styled game. If they go through with it, it needs to be unique, Arwing focused, and less kart racing and more actual Star Fox racing (i.e. the mechanics are almost pure Star Fox just with other pilots out there).

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I saw someone mention puppets and I really hope they stick with that aesthetic. I'm really down for this game guys. Give it to me right now!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the E3 trailer, the Arwing/Racing vehicle hybrid grinds to a halt after a sick drift on a space track. The cockpit pops open

1nL4SAy.gif

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
... Sure. I kind of like the idea. I'm doubtful that's it's real, but it also sounds weird enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Star Fox Command knew all along

latest
I keep forgetting how awful the art was in Command. Can't stand its style.

Status
Not open for further replies.