• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...atinumgames-wants-the-wonderful-101-on-switch

PlatinumGames' wonder duo Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya issued a rallying cry in Croatia today to convince Nintendo to get The Wonderful 101, a wonderful game and Wii U exclusive, on Switch.

The rallying cry came during the duo's Reboot Develop 2018 talk. Kamiya, who's very fond of The Wonderful 101, asked how many people in the audience had played it and then the translator relayed:

"We're going to knock the audience participation up a bit. They're still trying to negotiate with Nintendo whether a possible Wonderful 101 Switch release could happen but it always helps when the people in the audience at Reboot clap if they'd actually buy a Switch version of Wonderful 101. So anybody who would buy that, please clap..."

And the whole room did.

On Bayonetta 3, Inaba and Kamiya were tight-lipped. But during the talk, Inaba said Bayonetta 3 represents a turning point for the company in how they make games, though he didn't further explain what he meant. He did say Bayonetta 3 would be a linear core progression action game, which is no surprise, but also Platinum wanted to do something new, add new gimmicks and new ways to play the game.

"Bayonetta 2 was a fantastic title and they need to make sure this is leaps and bounds above that," the translator relayed. "They know that the fans expect crazier, better, tighter action games. If they're going to put out Bayonetta 3, it's going to have to raise the bar."

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
W101 wan't my favorite game in the world, but I might give it another shot if it's a decent price.

Those Bayo 3 comments are really exciting though! Are we assuming that's a 2018 title?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's a shame that so few people got to play Platinum's best game, I hope they can do the port.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through it right now, and there's a lot of little statements about future games in there too. This paragraph has me curious

One of those games has a core team of six people getting very excited, apparently. "Right now they're currently rapidly discussing a very interesting concept," the translator relayed during the talk. "Whether it's action or a totally new style of genre that nobody has heard of before or seen, it's really hard to put their finger on, but the ideas are there. Currently there's about six of the core staff that every day passionately discussing this idea, and it's so cool for them. This is something very innovative and has most of the studio very, very excited for what this could be."

But yes please give W101. I'd buy that again at full price in a heartbeat

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god W101 and Bayo 2 dual-handedly got me to purchase a Wii U in the first place. Unfortunately the load times of W101 really kill the game in the long run. Would it load any faster on a Switch? Not sure how the console handles read speeds. I assume its all flash storage?

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and the newest Fatal Frame games should all hit Switch.

They're too good to be left on a console no one played.

Oh my god W101 and Bayo 2 dual-handedly got me to purchase a Wii U in the first place. Unfortunately the load times of W101 really kill the game in the long run. Would it load any faster on a Switch? Not sure how the console handles read speeds. I assume its all flash storage?

A more powerful console with a faster media medium would probably cut load times quite a bit.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
I really want wonderful 101 port for switch. There are times I almost buy it after the two previous Nintendo direct.

Oct 25, 2017
Would be great if they could port it eventually.
Would be great on switch with the touch screen controls likely translating better to multi touch.
Amiibo support would be simple and people might give it another chance. Would be nice if they made a few changes like handing out dodge and block early instead of letting the player buy it whenever.

Jan 11, 2018
PLEASE put TW101 on Switch. It's Platinum's masterpiece in my opinion, and perhaps my favorite action game of all time. I know it's not for everyone, but It deserves another chance...

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please do. Bring over every exclusive that console had. And Bayo 3 makes me wonder if they're going to incorporate HD rumble in really creative ways

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit I was hoping W101 Switch was already on the works

Get on it, Nintendo!

It may well be. It wouldn't be the first time a dev goes "OH HEY DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT THIS HAHA?" to drum up some hype when it's actually announced. Though in this case considering sales of the original I could definitely see Nintendo needing some convincing.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They also deny that Scalebound's cancellation came as a blow to the company's operations.

PlatinumGames is very busy then, though they wouldn't tell me exactly how many games were in development because "people would probably shit their pants". Nevertheless it's a relief after the dejected figure PlatinumGames cut roughly a year ago after the cancellation of Xbox One exclusive Scalebound.

"The reality is this," Inaba told me. "Any time you make a game for that long, you love it and you put your heart and soul into it. Ultimately not all games pan out, so when it didn't, we also felt very much like you: very disappointed we couldn't get it out into the hands of the users.

"A lot of the details were under NDA and we can't discuss them. I'd love to be able to give you more information about it but at the end of the day you can only say what you can say, and unfortunately those are areas we can't go into detail about."

Scalebound being Microsoft's IP also means PlatinumGames can't reuse or salvage any of the work it did.

Nevetheless, Inaba refuted rumours the the cancellation brought PlatinumGames to its knees and the studio nearly closed. "I've heard that rumour too," he told me, "and it's totally unsubstantiated. We're not a one project studio, we're a balanced studio. If any of the fans heard that rumour and then were worried about us or upset we feel very sorry.

"We're totally fine," he added, "and we were totally fine then too."

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll double-dip for W101 on switch---I didn't finish it on Wii U, and I'd rather have it on switch.

The Bayo 3 talk is exciting. Bayo 2 is amazing and breakneck in its pacing. I wonder how they'll top the spectacle of it all. Just please, please, please have Tag Climax in again. That mode is too much fun to not come back.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like porting the game to Switch would take years. It's mostly a timing thing... Expect ports of more niche WiiU titles like #FE, Fatal Frame and W101 to hit next year.

Second half 2018 will be focusing on new titles.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just chiming in to say I'd buy it.

Interesting comments about Bayonetta 3 as well.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
But Bayonetta 3 is far from the only game in development at the studio. Martin travelled to PlatinumGames recently to see new mobile game World of Demons, a kind of spiritual successor to Okami, and a more substantial project than it sounds. There are also two other much more secretive projects in the works - games announced earlier this year as self-published new IP. This, however, might have been misconstrued.

So 2 new projects in the works: an unknown one ( Kamiya's new game? ) and the "P* self-owned IP":

Inaba's reply to me, via translator, was: "The definition of self-owned IP can be looked at from a lot of different angles. When they mentioned those two, what they're trying to say is maybe one of those is a game only they can create, therefore it's their IP in that way but it may be funded from somebody else."

what a spin lol

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that if it's ported it is also worked on a bit more to improve some of its more messy/broken aspects.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a Wonderful 101 where the framerate doesn't tank during the Vorkken fights lol

Oct 25, 2017
Inaba said Bayonetta 3 represents a turning point for the company in how they make games, though he didn't further explain what he meant.
Wonder what this means.
Maybe an engine change or focusing more on outsourcing to have fewer devs on pay role to avoid scalebound like situations? Dunno