• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation, Xbox and Valve called on to drop Six Days in Fallujah

A prominent Muslim advocacy organisation has called for PlayStation, Xbox and Valve to drop controversial shooter Six D…

A prominent Muslim advocacy organisation has called for PlayStation, Xbox and Valve to drop controversial shooter Six Days in Fallujah.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the largest Muslim civil rights charity in the US, issued the call in a press release which brings the game's subject matter back into the spotlight once again.

"The gaming industry must stop dehumanising Muslims," CAIR spokesperson Huzaifa Shahbaz said. "Video games like Six Days in Fallujah only serve to glorify violence that took the lives of hundreds of Iraqi civilians, justify the Iraq war, and reinforce anti-Muslim sentiment at a time when anti-Muslim bigotry continues to threaten human life."

I wish this does happen. I know this is discussed in the other thread, but it should be seen front and centre I feel.

Lock thread if old.

mrbobman15

Jan 21, 2019
I agree with everyone here. I don't think Six Days in Fallujah deserves to be allowed on these digital storefronts.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Good. Motherfuckers literally named it after an infamous battle that took place in a war, but are like 'We are just focusing on the troops, so nothing to see here'. Not only is it offensive in topic, its also insulting to anyone with common sense that it's 'not political'. Particularly when with all the development hell it wouldn't have been hard to make it less overtly 'America, fuck yeah!' and made it a more generic setting.

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
Expecting valve, the company that bends over backwards to accommodate shitty free speech warring gamers and couldn't even be fucked to issue a BLM statement last year when that shit was going down, to take a stand, and a progressive stand at that, is a fools errand

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
The developer should be forced to drop this to work on a bigger, more AAA propaganda project.

Oct 27, 2017
It's still crazy to me this game was even revived. There was literally no reason no to just let it remain in the past

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
User Banned (1 month): inappropriate off-topic commentary, using a sensitive thread for platform warring
With the way Sony has been handling their gaming business lately, I wouldn't be surprised if instead they turned around and bought exclusive timed content for this game instead.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I couldn't believe Marty O'Donnell was involved in this, then I read he was the most right wing person at Bungie lol.

Even if it doesn't get dropped its gonna flop big, and maybe that's a better lesson than playing into the hands of people that will just scream cancel culture about this.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes this worse than something like Modern Warfare? Is it just because it's based on reality and not a fictitious Middle Eastern country?

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Good. Let US Army spend their money on their own fucking platform to spread propaganda like this, if they really want it.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good!
Someone should make a documentary about Six Days in Fallujah, from that Konami project to this new one!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes this worse than something like Modern Warfare? Is it just because it's based on reality and not a fictitious Middle Eastern country?
It's more than just a matter of reality versus fiction. It's that it is a real event with a very controversial and painful context for a lot of people being twisted into something that erases that context.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
nice!
yeah now just need one of them to take the step,
it would put the pressure to all.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont see Valve doing anything here especially after the whole Hatred affair. Gabe is full on free market libertarian slant.

I couldn't believe Marty O'Donnell was involved in this, then I read he was the most right wing person at Bungie lol.

Even if it doesn't get dropped its gonna flop big, and maybe that's a better lesson than playing into the hands of people that will just scream cancel culture about this.
A long time after he left Bungie there was a lot of smoke about what he was actually like working there and it sorta lined up with his vibe post Bungie. But because it was nothing official it never stuck on him. This stupid stunt pretty much confirms all those things.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has already set a precedent that it will axe games that don't meet its standards when it refused to allow the Xbox Gal*Gun port earlier this year. They can do it again.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to, there's Special Interests behind this game - The kind of Special Interests that can Accidentally your Visa if you're a non-Citizen in the US who uses a platform to criticize this game.

The same ones who could Accidentally the Hololens contract that Microsoft just landed.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, it's the most sensible (and kinda blatanly obvious) thing to do.

Do it.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The game is just military propaganda outside of the developers I can't see how the 3 pubs would benefit from it. So should be easy for them to walk away.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
With the way Sony has been handling their gaming business lately, I wouldn't be surprised if instead they turned around and bought exclusive timed content for this game instead.
I don't think Sony has any qualms about dropping games off their store if it attracts negative publicity. They've ignored the "Let the people decide if they want it or not" plea before with CP 2077.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Good.

Say what you want to say about the developers and publishers of this game, any service that supports this and allows the sale and distribution of this game is as liable.

Sony, Microsoft and Valve need to be called out. I will be judging them fools hard when this game releases.