Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
JWCd6zs.jpg

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
They should ask Capcom US too.

Both Gamestop and Amazon listings don't mention a download code for the Origins Collection.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd pay 30 if they are on cart. But they're not in Europe. And in the USA only RE0 is, so import is no go either.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First bit of good news about these games that EG are going to Capcom directly about this. A near 2x price increase for absolutely nothing is insane. Especially considering no physical copies completely negates any retail discounts and 2nd hand sales.

And it's basically the best game ever made at the centre of this too. What a mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom's Switch support has largely been garbage so this isn't surprising at all. The fact they're just re-releasing the same 10+ year old games and not even RE5 is embarassing

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck, Capcom. I truly hate it when people anthropomorphise companies by assigning them human emotions and motivations ('developer is lazy/greedy!') but I swear every decision Capcom have made with regards to the Switch has been bitter, cynical, aggressive and downright nasty towards people playing on that platform. It's like they're being forced to release stuff for the system but are doing so in the most passive-aggressive way imaginable.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
First bit of good news about these games that EG are going to Capcom directly about this. A near 2x price increase for absolutely nothing is insane. Especially considering no physical copies completely negates any retail discounts and 2nd hand sales.

And it's basically the best game ever made at the centre of this too. What a mess.

You aren't willing to pay a premium to play the best game ever made?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The sad part is, even though these are older games they would have sold bonkers on Switch with their OG price point you also have in PS4/XBO.

Without a need of a price drop they could have sold alot of copies and made fans happy that thought this game should have been in Switch ages ago.

Yet they decide to raise the price further with those late ports. Incredible greedy strategy in my opinion ....sure the typical Switch owner on ERA will likely wait for a sale but Capcom is ready to milk every customer that doesn't know it better.

Not a fan. Was going to get RE4 and REmake day 1...now I'm probably not but any Capcom game on Switch unless it's on a deep sale.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom knows people already own these and they know people on Switch will buy anything just because it's on the Switch so they're trying to get the most money possible before they're on sale in a couple of months for half the price or less.

In all honesty if you own Resident Evil 4 on 2-5 other platforms and you want it on Switch too, you have the money to burn. Capcom knows you'll pay.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the only way this price upcharge would be acceptable is if both carts/games were included in the retail collection but since they break 32GB that's impossible since it would have made the games even more expensive. I don't remember how much the REV games cost but I think they were around the same but it was more reasonable then due to the exclusive content they added

I BELIEVE Revelations Collection was $40 USD/$50 CDN where as here it's looking like $60 USD?!

I don't know what the fuck Capcom's doing. This whole thing's been an utter mess.

First they don't put RE4 out at retail, which is guaranteed to be the highest selling of ANY of the RE games on Switch to date, but now they're up-charging it on top of that. It'd have been fine if it was retail, that would more than justify the price since $30 seemingly is the minimum charge for retail Switch games.

Is Capcom trying to sabotage their own Switch games? This company continues to baffle me to no end.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If Capcom released a trailer of new features to justify the price, I could understand.

"Oh cool, new costumes in REmake and motion controls"
"Oh dang all DLC for RE0 and notion Control"
"Sweet, gyro and pointer aiming for RE4 like the switch and some other new stuff"

Like id still be wondering why those things cost so much, but would at least be more understanding.

VS the current "preorder these games y'all as we yell you NOTHING about what they have" the only other option for justifying the price increase would be if all of these titles were getting a physical release and we know that isnt the case either.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
I remember they tried to pull this with Revelations on 3DS and changed their mind. Hope they do it again.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You aren't willing to pay a premium to play the best game ever made?

Yes, as much as it is silly I would've happily paid even £20-25 for this version and I probably couldn't have resisted paying upwards of £30/40 for it on a cart because I'm a sucker. But £30 digital only is taking the mickey as we say. It's ridiculous.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
then we find out that this was a test to see if there's a market for a Switch exclusive RE game, and it fails

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I remember they tried to pull this with Revelations on 3DS and changed their mind. Hope they do it again.
Revelations was a 3DS exclusive that used more expensive card capacity. Here they are trying to sell Switch owners the same games they released 4 years ago on other system for a higher price.
What the fuck, Capcom. I truly hate it when people anthropomorphise companies by assigning them human emotions and motivations ('developer is lazy/greedy!') but I swear every decision Capcom have made with regards to the Switch has been bitter, cynical, aggressive and downright nasty towards people playing on that platform. It's like they're being forced to release stuff for the system but are doing so in the most passive-aggressive way imaginable.
Last year they released MH Generation Ultimate on Switch....but not before making sure that MHW PC Version is out the same months and drop a couple days before the Switch game.

As you said it should be Business at the end...but with Capcom something seems off. Like they don't really wanna support the system but whatever they throw at it keeps performing well enough and so they have to continue to release games on it.

lol

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch tax, as it's been dubbed by the community, is thought to relate to the fact Switch games come on carts, which are more expensive to produce than discs.
And yet 3DS games currently have the lowest RRP of all the current systems……………

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
"Passing the test" is a trap. It doesn't bring you the AAA titles. It just brings you more overpriced ports.

I don't buy into the whole "test game" theory. I'm just saying there are alot of products out there that I think are over priced but time and time again I'm surprised by how well they sell.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
This was going to be my first time playing any of these titles & I had been waiting for the Switch version. Guess I'll just wait for a sale because I don't really feel like getting gouged on price just b/c I prefer playing on Switch.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
30 pounds is even more ridiculous than the 30€ Capcom is asking for EU peeps - and 30€ is already ridiculous enough. I don't get why either as games like Okami HD released at the same price they've been on Xbox and PlayStation. After playing through RE2make I'm in a big RE mood again and already bought REV2 a couple weeks ago. I would have jumped on both RE1 and RE4 in a heartbeat, but with the price increase I'm not going to buy either of them.

For what it's worth, Capcom does sales on the eShop quite often and regularly, so at least there's that.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not surprised they're doing this. Switch owners have already shown they're willing to pay extra for Switch versions of games.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, a port of street fighter 2 sold pretty well at $40, and some people were mad Capcom didn't bring more re titles to switch sooner, so, Capcom is using very basic search x demand logic here.

Anyway, Capcom always drop they prices very fast and they probably are the best when come to discounts in Nintendo plattaforms. Nothing to be worried about if you have patience.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're being publicly called out on this.

I really hope someone can write an investigative piece about how and why Capcom's relationship with Nintendo has done essentially a total 180 since the launch of the Switch.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
I paid 42 Euros for RE2make ... it's just a huge ripoff to pay such an old game that much, it's not even a physical version, i won't touch the RE on switch unless we get a 50% sales.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

I really hope someone can write an investigative piece about how and why Capcom's relationship with Nintendo has done essentially a total 180 since the launch of the Switch.

I would be interested as well what happened there because the relationship is really weird ever since the Switch launched.

SpawnWave also made a video about the ridiculous pricing of the games so it's good to see Capcom being called out.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a pretty good description of Capcom's relationship with Nintendo in general. Was the same on Wii and even on GC to an extent.

Yep

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Well, a port of street fighter 2 sold pretty well at $40, and some people were mad Capcom didn't bring more re titles to switch sooner, so, Capcom is using very basic search x demand logic here.

Anyway, Capcom always drop they prices very fast and they probably are the best when come to discounts in Nintendo plattaforms. Nothing to be worried about if you have patience.
Context matters - USF2 sold well in 2017 where people when people were just looking for anything to buy on that system.

Not saying these can't sell well enough on that price but USF2 price point has nothing to do with it. It mostly sold that much because Nintendo published it in the Europe and marketed it quite a bit as an early Switch "exclusive".

All the other Capcom title lioe Revelations 1+2, Okami, Onimiash or Mega Man Collections had the same prices they had on other systems.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Even though I wasn't a fan of the SF2 pricing. It at least made some sense considering if had the Motion Control Mode and other new things. Nothing crazy, but it was at least something. Currently with these ports there's no mention of any new features.

Oct 28, 2017
Just running through games in my head that I'd pay £30 for a port of and nope, nothing. Thought maybe God Hand but even then, that's a big stretch.

Not surprised they're doing this. Switch owners have already shown they're willing to pay extra for Switch versions of games.
Capcom hasn't charged extra for any of their previous ports, and in fact, Dragon's Dogma releases a month before these do for the same price it is on other systems ($30) and with a physical release to boot. There are some shenanigans afoot with these games and their pricing, that much is sure.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I can be patient. Wait for all of them to be around half off and get my portable Resident Evil fix. I'll just make due with REDS and RE2 and RE3 on my vita. If I paid full price I would be letting Capcom know the price is acceptable.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We were passing all Capcom tests with flying colours, so of course Capcom had to tip the scales.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I agree with this. Basically every single game has had a 'catch' so to speak, be it being more expensive, digital only, physical but not really because of required downloads, almost no physical in Europe or the aforementioned releasing of MHGU months after people really wanted it at the same time as MHW on PC. And then there's this. People were- rightly in some cases- laughed at here for so much as implying that Capcom had an ulterior motive(s) regarding the Switch but IMO it's not far from the truth. I doubt we'll ever find out what's up though unfortunately.