Oct 27, 2017
This mostly sounds to me like "Sony does better marketing". Which, yes. But when MS can invest in and release games like Sea of Thieves, Ori, Psychonauts, Hi Fi, Pentiment, Hellblade, it's hard for me to say their culture can't support creativity.

I agree entirely that MS fails repeatedly to connect with gamers / their customers. It's criminal that something like Psychonauts or Hi Fi weren't bigger successes when you have so many potential resources behind them.

This is all just feelingsball. Like Naughty Dog being forced to spend years on a Factions live service just to have it cancelled is right there.

Sony doesn't pursue impossible growth, they just force Insomniac to become a multi-decade Marvel factory. Sony doesn't force their single player studios to switch to live services, Guerilla and Naughty Dog just have a deep passion for expanding their narrative franchises to multiplayer titles.

These imagined narratives get really tiring. Significant business or market shifts, and horrible short sighted actions like shutting down Tango that affect hundreds of real people, deserve a lot better from enthusiasts.
Did they actually "force" Insomniac to do marvel games or is it you dont like marvel and therefore assume poor insomniac was forced to work on them? I havent seen any evidence suggesting they didnt want to make spiderman or wolverine. Its not like say Redfall were you actually got reports that Arkane wasnt that enthused at doing a GAAS

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not even sure MS can answer that question at this point considering their next release will be a digital only white Series X if leaks are true. Why ? Their last release was a relative expensive 1TB Series S in Black .... Why ?

Not even sure what market they are targeting because these options seem to be worse than what they launched with 4 years ago.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
It's not just the article pondering that, it's everyone that doesn't bleed green and is noticing a trend of bad news after bad news in regard to Xbox.

Like people have to realize this is so much worse than TV TV TV and having a product for people on a submarine called Xbox 360

This is gobbling devs and then shutting them down because they had the audacity to be on a pitch phase. We have seen how many videos of Phil and Sarah over the last 48 hours saying how it's reflective on them not doing their jobs if the devs are forced into certain games and not encouraging creativity.

What is the point of Xbox, like….if you had only one console to choose from, why would you pick a Xbox? I've been waiting for "this year being the year" for close to 10 years now. I'm so fucking tired of being strung along.
This is the stuff I rather discuss than being asked, why aren't you upset about Starfield not moving consoles and CoD on Gamepass.

Whereas your last paragraph has been answered by several people in this thread myself included.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
To be competition to Sony to keep them in check, but with them performing so poorly there's barely any point to that (just like Nintendo carved out it's own space so doesn't care what PS & XB do). I really hope they can bounce back from this and maintain a Console presence instead of turning into the biggest games publisher.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I already thought about when you map Fromsoft on MS attitude they wouldn't have reached Elden Ring success before getting cut off by not producing enough growth.
I wonder what other successful studios would similarly have never hit their strides when you map them on this attitude towards game making.
I dunno would Larian have survived in theory was the growth of divinity OS1 to OS2 significant enough?
It's kinda crazy to think about what other ips/studios would just be dead with this stewardship.

mouser

Apr 4, 2024
I already thought about when you map Fromsoft on MS attitude they wouldn't have reached Elden Ring success before getting cut off by not producing enough growth.
I wonder what other successful studios would similarly have never hit their strides when you map them on this attitude towards game making.
I dunno would Larian have survived in theory was the growth of divinity OS1 to OS2 significant enough?
It's kinda crazy to think about what other ips/studios would just be dead with this stewardship.

Larian has talked repeatedly about being blocked from doing turn based rpgs by their publisher. So the answer to your question is 0% chance OS1 or OS2 even exist if Larian was under MS (or Sony).

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
Xbox Series is my first Xbox and I am having a wonderful time. GamePass is an amazing deal even after a price increase. The UI is second to none with multiple game suspended, flexible controller rebinding, and smart delivery. Most importantly, I can go back and play OG Xbox and 360 games at better resolution framerate and I am having a great time catching up.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This is all just feelingsball. Like Naughty Dog being forced to spend years on a Factions live service just to have it cancelled is right there.

Sony doesn't pursue impossible growth, they just force Insomniac to become a multi-decade Marvel factory. Sony doesn't force their single player studios to switch to live services, Guerilla and Naughty Dog just have a deep passion for expanding their narrative franchises to multiplayer titles.

These imagined narratives get really tiring. Significant business or market shifts, and horrible short sighted actions like shutting down Tango that affect hundreds of real people, deserve a lot better from enthusiasts.
Lol, where do you read those studios were forced? That's a imagined narrative. Both Insomniac and ND declared they wanted to make those games. When they released Spider-Man Insomniac wasn't even a PS studio.

Sony has tons of issues but dragging studios into this to defend MS, eh...

PleaseBeKind

Oct 31, 2023
Xbox Series is my first Xbox and I am having a wonderful time. GamePass is an amazing deal even after a price increase. The UI is second to none with multiple game suspended, flexible controller rebinding, and smart delivery. Most importantly, I can go back and play OG Xbox and 360 games at better resolution framerate and I am having a great time catching up.
100% agreed. Xbox Series X is a GREAT console, I love it. Xbox as a business doesnt make money, though. Wont be the first time a brand with a great product fails. Capitalism is wild.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
10yrs after and that Don guy is still on the news lol talks about some really horrible decisions ...

Its been said countless times before yet it bears repeating: Out of all the console generations for MS to fuck up, the previous one was the absolute WORST for them to have done so, as that was when console online ecosystems were maturing and once people chose one, they more or less started to lock themselves into it for the long term.

The bungling of the Xbox One is something the brand still has not recovered from, and might not EVER recover from...

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
What do those features have to do with the article this thread is about?

Like forcing studios to work on projects they have no expertise with and then shutting them down?

Or the recent layoffs and studio shutdowns?

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
What do those features have to do with the article this thread is about?

Like forcing studios to work on projects they have no expertise with and then shutting them down?

Or the recent layoffs and studio shutdowns?

The article and many other poster here also discuss Xbox place in the industry. I provided what Xbox approach to console to providing for me.

Not to take away from the layoffs and shutdown. It is horrifying.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
While I understand they said there would be one, I don't know that you can necessarily take anything to the bank that xbox has said, especially projecting out years in the future to 2026 or 2028. Clearly there's a lot of changes going on behind the scenes at Xbox and business strategies for these huge corps could turn on a dime. Companies like MS and Google kill plans all the time.

FWIW I think there probably will be a "next Xbox" but based on what's been happening the last 6 months or so I don't think its crazy to speculate about whether those plans could change.

Yep. As we have seen things continue to go downhill I was always saying next gen is a given but if it doesn't hit then I think they exit the hardware side.

And although if forced to gamble on it I would still lay money on "one more" console from them I wouldn't feel good about it. Trusting it's coming because they say it's coming doesn't make sense. We have zero reason to believe them.

Building and releasing new hardware is expensive. It's almost always sold at a loss for a period. And the brand is in an atrocious spot. The writing seems to be on the wall for them giving up trying to take on Sony and Nintendo in an area that they simply haven't had lots of success for numerous years now.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
It is probably a lot easier to shut down a studio that isn't actively working on anything rather than close a studio and have to either cancel a project or find a new home for it.
But ….they wanted to make a sequel to the only single player game people outside of the Xbox eco system considered fun and enjoyable. Why shut that down? Normal thinking would be we FINALLY have a winner in hi fi rush, let's get a sequel going.

What does success even mean at Xbox?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But ….they wanted to make a sequel to the only single player game people outside of the Xbox eco system considered fun and enjoyable. Why shut that down? Normal thinking would be we FINALLY have a winner in hi fi rush, let's get a sequel going.

So basically...what is the point of Xbox....

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
Honest question why does it matter? 4 games have come to Playstation only the live service games have been a success judging by chart data from Sony. Starfield was poo poo'd before launch. The whole gamepass thing is very much reminds me of disney+ where they were figuring it out. All major publishers close studios that are some ones fan favourite.

The biggest issue was MS looked at the 2 billion gamers in the distance and moved their business model to try and target them in rather that playing to console owners first and foremost.

I do feel going forward Game Pass will be sunset and day and date with PC on every release will end as well.

I think it matters if one is considering whether or not to invest in Xbox with the idea that it will be a stable ecosystem for years to come.

I'm not sure we have much reason to think that the bringing games to PlayStation is going to stop. And while shutting down studios is by no means new it does have to make one question the strategy.

We spent lots of money and shut some fan favorite studios and you can play our games on our biggest competitors systems is hardly a recipe for things going well. You throw in the almost assuredly changes coming to game pass that most gamers will be against and the question might be posed weirdly but it's not without merit to discuss.

Does Xbox have a place in the medium term future of the console race might have been a better title but it's a headlines are written for attention.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Crazy article but a well-written one. They're seeing the "fruits" of their labor. Buying massive companies, laying off people, closing studios, reverting both good and bad decisions and now they have to make their money (profit) back somehow.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has been stuck in the same cycle for years - by the time they pivot and learn from their mistakes, it's already been too late and this is the result of that.

goldenboy

Mar 8, 2023
Hot take:
In exactly one month most of this will be forgotten. After a great showcase and a comfy Spencer interview with IGN, most people will be happy again.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017

Firstly whilst it was successful initially for the engagement, it didn't seam to be able to continue that. Plus it being very niche genre of character action + rhythm game, didn't break out of this community. Therefore business thinking would be how much and how quick can you get me that sequel anything over 3-4 years forget it.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Firstly whilst it was successful initially for the engagement, it didn't seam to be able to continue that. Plus it being very niche genre of character action + rhythm game, didn't break out of this community. Therefore business thinking would be how much and how quick can you get me that sequel anything over 3-4 years forget it.
All marketing teams are not created equal. Xbox marketing has been bad for a long ass time now.

I mean look at the marketing on twitter for HB2.

If HFR was launched originally on PS or Nintendo I think it would have done better.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
All marketing teams are not created equal. Xbox marketing has been bad for a long ass time now.

I mean look at the marketing on twitter for HB2.

If HFR was launched originally on PS or Nintendo I think it would have done better.

I doubt it would do better. TBH though I have seen ads on YouTube for Hellblade 2, so thats 2 games in 10 months I've seen ads for Xbox games.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Glad I have my Series X for BC, but I don't use it for anything else at this point and I won't be buying any Xbox in the future. I'm someone that buys all consoles and have always done so, but I just don't see a reason to own one anymore after this gen.
That is pretty much what I use my Series X for. BC is the only reason to have an Xbox now.

Mar 19, 2021

It's also wild that Hi-Fi Rush was probably Xbox's first property in 2 decades that could've realistically turned into one of their main recognisable IPs (similar to Metroid for Nintendo which doesn't sell crazy units but is always a critical and fan favourite).

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you quoting me if you're responding to things I didn't say? Don't put words in my mouth to argue against, especially unprompted.

Series S is digital. Okay, I'm aware that I bought a digital system.
Series S performance issues. Not in my experience, but okay.

What either of these two things have to do with anything I said, I have no idea. I don't even recall saying I like Xbox. That came from you. I like Halo and Forza Horizon, I recall saying that.

Gaming for me doesn't revolve around first parties. I actually think third parties are quite talented and regularly surpass first parties when it comes to a lot of things.

Capcom made a game I want to play, what box plays it for cheap with solid performance.
Supergiant made a game I want to play.
WWE 2K
Rocket League
Midnight Suns
Yakuza
There's a box that let's me play those regularly on sale? And I like Forza Horizon and Halo. Cool, I'll spend $300 on that.

You're just spouting nonsense at me unrelated to anything I said.

If it makes you feel better, I have a PS5 as well now, just stating why I got the Series S in 2021.

Saying that isn't a defense.
I was responding to your statement and the one you quoted about people being unreasonably harsh to Xbox. If you think I put words in your mouth when I thought it was understandable that I was speaking in general terms by using "you" especially after you responded instead of more obvious terms like one, I'm sorry.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Because I wanted to play current gen games for sub $300 and I like Forza Horizon. The PS5 also doesn't fit in my entertainment center.

No fanboy shit. Just practical.
No, you're right it's not fanboy shit. It sounds like you're just happy to have an affordable way to play new ish games, which is fair.

But most people who play on Xbox (at least people who've been owners for generations) did so because the ecosystem offered something different, not just a cheap way to play the newest games. Powerful and unique gaming experiences like Morrowind, Fable, Halo, Gears, Mass Effect etc first landed on Xbox or rose to prominence with the help of Xbox partnerships. I was pulled into the OG Xbox and 360 for those types of games but we haven't had anything like that for a decade.

This latest event is another one in a long line of missteps by Microsoft but for me (and I suspect many others on here) it feels really bad this time because it suggest the leadership truly have no idea what they're doing. In the past they blamed the PS4 or covid or that they made one-off mistakes. But hyping up studios like Tango in 1 year and then closing them down 1 year later is just inexplicable.

Again, you can continue to enjoy your affordable current gen gaming system. If Xbox is no longer the same as it once was, you'll still have your $300 current gen system (and there's the Steam Deck 2/Switch 2 too) but for a lot of people, most people who play on Xbox at least, that's not enough.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
After reading this, specially the Lionhead story, I wonder if those Zenimax/Bethesda head honchos, who were thrilled to be bought by MS, are still with the same view.

Always enjoyed Fable and to me is absolutely shocking that a Fable 4 didn't happen because, well, the previous entries just tripled investment and that wasn't enough.

Feels like Microsoft never understood gaming and entertainment business at large. They had that 1990s Windows on everything mentality and that wouldn't ever translate to gaming.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
I think it matters if one is considering whether or not to invest in Xbox with the idea that it will be a stable ecosystem for years to come.

I'm not sure we have much reason to think that the bringing games to PlayStation is going to stop. And while shutting down studios is by no means new it does have to make one question the strategy.

We spent lots of money and shut some fan favorite studios and you can play our games on our biggest competitors systems is hardly a recipe for things going well. You throw in the almost assuredly changes coming to game pass that most gamers will be against and the question might be posed weirdly but it's not without merit to discuss.

Does Xbox have a place in the medium term future of the console race might have been a better title but it's a headlines are written for attention.

They need to by the end of the summer look at their entire 'project' if you are releasing games on other platforms then your plan is simply not working. Their are issues like the branding on Game Pass is all over the place even if they don't sunset like I said they need to use the KISS method. Xbox Live Essential, Xbox Live Premium, Xbox Live Ultimate. The market confusion between Game Pass Core and Game Pass just shows this.

If I took over Xbox tomorrow outside of a few key franchises like: Fallout/Elder Scrolls, id Franchises, Age of and Flight Simulator they shouldn't do day and date with PC. Focus on the console and then release PC ports later down the line.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
People calling the headline "clickbait" didn't read the article at all. "What is the point of Xbox" is not only a perfectly relevant question related to the article, it actually attempts to answer it, and that answer forms its core thesis: the point of Xbox is short-term financial results and scale, and anything that doesn't achieve those things will eventually get sacrificed. The point of Xbox is markedly different from other platform holders, which at least give the impression that artistry and experimentation are important to them, and are willing to see beyond the next fiscal year when it comes to funding studios. Microsoft killed two studios because they had the audacity to be in the wrong part of a development cycle that is so common in the industry that you have to be willfully obtuse to not understand it.

(I'm not actually convinced that the other platform holders don't also prioritize short-term financial results and scale to some degree, but even if the difference is only in degree, it does feel like it's there.)

And setting all that aside, personally, I too wonder what the point of Xbox is in my life. What do they offer me that other platforms and companies don't? To be fair, it's a question I ask of Playstation as well, and even Nintendo, though it's pretty easy to come up with an answer there. Just "giving you a place to play games" isn't enough, not in a world where you can play games on so many devices, including ones that aren't inextricably tied to a single platform like PC.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
It is probably a lot easier to shut down a studio that isn't actively working on anything rather than close a studio and have to either cancel a project or find a new home for it.

The awful part is it's seemingly punished some of these studios for actually shipping out games recently. Like, it almost sounds like if Tango delayed Hi-Fi Rush until now they would've been safe? x.x

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This is a great piece. The repeated callbacks to lionhead are compelling, can tell the author put a lot of thought into this

It's a strange position to be in. I really like my Series X and the games it's got on deck over the next couple years, but I'm at a loss on what this division even looks like 4-5 years from now. Which is wild because the vision seemed so strong going into 2020

I'm making most of my purchases on PS5 at this point, gonna enjoy Xbox's exclusive content while it lasts and see how things look coming into the next generatin I guess

Edit: "erm, the point of my Xbox is to play games on it???? Fanboy much" I'm NOT above doing this, caught myself in the midst of it multiple times, but please read the article before you give it shit for something you made up in your head 😭

Last edited:

Robotoboy

Banned
Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
One thing I'm curious about with these studio closures - are they just not offered the opportunity to buy themselves out or be bought out by someone else? Are we to believe that nobody else would want to take a chance on Arkane? Or would they just rather end the expenditure now than wait to see if they can get something from the sale?

It's complicated. In most cases a closure is done so that the head company can retain all rights and access to the IP's owned by that company. So like. Hi-Fi Rush, Ghostwire, and Evil Within are all "owned" by Tango Gameworks... but since Tango Gameworks is owned by Microsoft... well obviously Microsoft owns those IP's.

The thing with Toys for Bob was really crazy and unique from what I can tell. Toys for Bob didn't actually own the rights to Crash or Spyro, Activision did - so it was easier for them to just let them go be a dev elsewhere. For Tango and Arkane they wanted to keep the IP's so the easiest method to do that is to just shutter the studio. Microsoft can then hold exclusive access to the IP's under those studios.

It's really complex actually - and even I don't fully understand it.

Sunset Overdrive was the same though

So many people say this about Sunset Overdrive, but no they did not have the same artstyle or art direction... they didn't even look similar. I've gone through both to try and see the similarities. I can maybe give it to people that they both have a "bright" look... but Sunset has more gross out realism punk going on. Hi-Fi was definitely Saturday morning WB Kids action cartoon.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be tested when Hellblade 2 ships.

Mark my words, and please don't think I'm making light of the situation.

Ninja Theory is essentially done for shortly after HB2 ships. At best they'll stick around to port it to PS5 before they get the axe.

I really hope I'm wrong, but that's where we are with Microsoft right now.

Jul 1, 2020
Mark my words, and please don't think I'm making light of the situation.

Ninja Theory is essentially done for shortly after HB2 ships. At best they'll stick around to port it to PS5 before they get the axe.

I really hope I'm wrong, but that's where we are with Microsoft right now.
They have a second project they are still working on. It's not out of the realm of possibility that it gets cancelled though.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If they want to make money, the sad part is arty small games aren't how you do it. They bought the ultimate barely diversified capitalist hellscape that a publisher could become because they essentially print money.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
It's complicated. In most cases a closure is done so that the head company can retain all rights and access to the IP's owned by that company. So like. Hi-Fi Rush, Ghostwire, and Evil Within are all "owned" by Tango Gameworks... but since Tango Gameworks is owned by Microsoft... well obviously Microsoft owns those IP's.

The thing with Toys for Bob was really crazy and unique from what I can tell. Toys for Bob didn't actually own the rights to Crash or Spyro, Activision did - so it was easier for them to just let them go be a dev elsewhere. For Tango and Arkane they wanted to keep the IP's so the easiest method to do that is to just shutter the studio. Microsoft can then hold exclusive access to the IP's under those studios.

You have it right, and it's not actually all that complex.

The IP/past releases are really the only value that a studio intrinsically has beyond just whatever projects are in motion. The rest is just people which businesses don't really value unless it's a specific unique individual/creative talent.

Hi-Fi Rush is worth at least $10-15 million as an existing library title, but the studio had nothing happening beyond just a sequel pitch.

The problem you have is that the studio wanted to make a bigger sequel, and that means that to spin it off, they'd have to buy back the Hi-Fi Rush IP and need a development budget to keep it moving forward. It'd probably take $30-40 million for a small studio like Tango to buy its IP back and to fund itself for 3-4 years.

That's just a nutty amount of money for a <100 person operation to come up with, and nobody would support them from outside in this financial environment for gaming.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017

So many people say this about Sunset Overdrive, but no they did not have the same artstyle or art direction... they didn't even look similar. I've gone through both to try and see the similarities. I can maybe give it to people that they both have a "bright" look... but Sunset has more gross out realism punk going on. Hi-Fi was definitely Saturday morning WB Kids action cartoon.

Sunset Overdrive was more Biker Mice of Mars/Mighty Max whilst HFR is more Gooftroop both Saturday morning cartoons but different TV channels

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
They need to by the end of the summer look at their entire 'project' if you are releasing games on other platforms then your plan is simply not working. Their are issues like the branding on Game Pass is all over the place even if they don't sunset like I said they need to use the KISS method. Xbox Live Essential, Xbox Live Premium, Xbox Live Ultimate. The market confusion between Game Pass Core and Game Pass just shows this.

If I took over Xbox tomorrow outside of a few key franchises like: Fallout/Elder Scrolls, id Franchises, Age of and Flight Simulator they shouldn't do day and date with PC. Focus on the console and then release PC ports later down the line.

I would probably do what they seem inevitably heading towards which is just exiting the hardware business entirely. At the minimum going in a different route with something unique like the Switch. They have tried to beat Sony and Nintendo long enough. It's not happening.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Back compat machine for me, my Xbox One got some use for the exclusives, One x was already leaning more back compat as PC ports were in full force at that point. Series X has been criminally underused by me, it gets turned on for MS point rewards and that's about it. Game pass is great but the PC version does just fine.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Xbox feels aimless and we need a candid interview with Spencer. The same old June e3ish presentation won't do it after all these recent fuckups.

Honestly, someone from up there has to step forward and explain this. What a massively shitty year for Xbox.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
That title is maybe the most oof moment I've come across in this industry… ever?

It's a great question though. The whole endeavor has been frustrating - it has produced some wonderful consoles and moments in time, and then every time dashed it all against the rocks, this time to great human cost in terms of jobs and studios. If they can't figure out how to not be toxic like this, I think they should throw in the towel (again, speaking as someone who adores the OG Xbox and mad respected the 360). The best case scenario would be a totally new approach to management… but it just never seems to sustain.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
It's getting hard to justify their place in the console business at this point - their install base is much smaller than their competitors, they failed to outcompete Sony in the power department, they're not pushing anything forward in terms of innovation and the brand seems kinda dead.

Becoming a regular multiplatform publisher serving PC, PlayStation and Nintendo seems to be their inevitable fate, but we'll see I guess.

Microsoft can't sink money into Xbox in a big bet sort of way because shareholders are scrutinizing that sort of thing especially nowadays.