• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down to see what OwlCat would do with Baldur's Gate but I'm not sure if they want to work with D&D and up to this point their production values haven't quite matched Larian. That said I love Wrath of the Righteous.

Feb 16, 2022
Not true at all, Larian has said like 15 times they just wanted to make their own IP and game and that they had nothing but positive things to say about working with the D&D license.

Of course everyone keeps playing that up as some sort of lie, despite Larians head being about the most up front blunt person I have ever heard speak lol
I'm sure WotC firing the people responsible for getting Larian onboard for BG3 in the first place had nothing to do with it at all, no sir

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
i selfishly dont want it to be obsidian in the hopes they can get a fallout game going after avowed and outer worlds 2

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I feel like Obsidian or Owlcat would be the only ones who could have a legitimate chance to succeed after BG3.

But even then it sounds like they'd have huge shoes to fill based on how bg3 was developed and whatnot

Oct 25, 2017
The only teams that could do it are Owlcat and maybe Obsidian and even then they will probably not be able to match what Larian did, at all.

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
Honestly? I was only there with BG3 because Larian made it, not because of the IP. The Baldur's Gate franchise itself means painfully little to me.

So we'll see what happens.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm far, far more interested in what Larian does next.

Paizo should try to court them for a Pathfinder game. "Hey, do you have beef with how WotC/Hasbro treated you on your D&D project? Let me tell you a story..."

Adum

May 30, 2019
They done fucked up their relationship with Larian, those stupid fuckheads
I haven't followed the studio that closely, but I recall Larian speaking fondly of their partnership with WotC at one point in an interview and the decision to not do a sequel to Baldur's Gate or any DLC for the game was their own. Never heard of a feud between Larian and WotC.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
bg3conedit.jpg

It's time, Josh

Feb 16, 2022
I haven't followed the studio that closely, but I recall Larian speaking fondly of their partnership with WotC at one point in an interview and the decision to not do a sequel to Baldur's Gate or any DLC for the game was their own. Never heard of a feud between Larian and WotC.
That's because Larian's a class act. But everyone saw this coming when the news broke about the firing.

Siden

Apr 27, 2023
It was so easy. Give Larian money to make "Dungeons and Dragons the game". Same engine, allow a dungeon master or group to create the dungeons using tools to piece together your own stories. Drop on enemies, loot, traps, ECT using modular assets created by Larian. Similar to Mario Maker. Publish your "campaign" online, allow groups of friends or strangers to play countless dungeons and dragons campaigns. Huge profit. But, you fucked it up. Oh well

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪

It's not that there was a feud, it's that Hasbro fired all the WotC people who were involved in the making of BG3.
It surely made it much easier to decide wether to do another DnD license , or to do an own thing,

Feb 16, 2022
Me when I just make things up.
Like I said, I'm sure WotC firing the people who were originally responsible for bringing Larian in had nothing to do with it, definitely not.

I swear some people will defend corporate fuckups no matter what. This is the WotC. Do people need a reminder of their litany of greedy, awful decisions just in recent years?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Folks are trying to will this into existence and there's no real good reason to HOPE Larian was treated poorly. They've been told explicitly no this isn't actually the case but they hold on to that hope anyway.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
It was so easy. Give Larian money to make "Dungeons and Dragons the game". Same engine, allow a dungeon master or group to create the dungeons using tools to piece together your own stories. Drop on enemies, loot, traps, ECT using modular assets created by Larian. Similar to Mario Maker. Publish your "campaign" online, allow groups of friends or strangers to play countless dungeons and dragons campaigns. Huge profit. But, you fucked it up. Oh well

Neverlogo.jpg

like you said, the idea is right there and they've done it twice, and now they can capitalize on fresh hype by bastardizing the BG3 engine into a NWN3.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Like I said, I'm sure WotC firing the people who were originally responsible for bringing Larian in had nothing to do with it, definitely not.

I swear some people will defend corporate fuckups no matter what. This is the WotC. Do people need a reminder of their litany of greedy, awful decisions just in recent years?

Well, we have what Larian has actually said (which not only includes positive comments about working with WotC but also repeatedly stating that they want to do their own thing next) and then we have the narrative you've created in your head.

But yes, it's "defending corporate fuckups" if we decide to point out that what you're saying is almost completely baseless.

Feb 16, 2022
Well, we have what Larian has actually said (which not only includes positive comments about working with WotC but also repeatedly stating that they want to do their own thing next) and then we have the narrative you've created in your head.

But yes, it's "defending corporate fuckups" if we decide to point out that what you're saying is almost completely baseless.
If you say so, I guess.

I for one don't think it's a stretch that the only major dev studio to condemn the industry-wide layoffs no longer wants to work with a shitty company that just laid off 1000 workers in the past year, a good number of which were people they had worked with.

It's one thing to say they want to do their own thing next, it's another thing to definitively say they won't do anymore D&D stuff.

Last edited:

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Give it to Todd Howard, let him reinvision it like he did Fallout, fans of the original will hate it... Fallout with swords? We'll come full circle from the Oblivion with guns days, oh the chaos!

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
I feel for any studio that has to follow up BG3.
Yep.

The studios capable of making something with the same technical quality are just not that good anymore at CRPGs, and the studios capable of making great CRPGs don't have the resources Larian had.

Owlcat for example could make a great BG4, but it would look way worse almost assuredly.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Owlcat could produce something comparable if given the necessary time and budget. They even exceed Larian in certain regards, such as choice, consequence and reactivity.

Velgo

Dec 9, 2021
We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had a sexy main cast. We had countless GOTY awards. We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, gave us the license and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up. You and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man. If you'd done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine right now

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Since I finished bg2 more than 20 years ago. I wanted a bg3. I got it and it was fantastic.

I don't need a bg4. (But I hope dragon age 4 will come out and bring me the same closure)