• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Planescape? Neverwinter Nights? Icewind Dale? Is Hasbro just going to pretend that these other IPs no longer exist anymore? What about a new IP set in a previously unexplored part of the Forgotten Realms?

Guess Baldur's Gate is a renewed cow they get to milk so those other won't matter as much to them.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Neverlogo.jpg

like you said, the idea is right there and they've done it twice, and now they can capitalize on fresh hype by bastardizing the BG3 engine into a NWN3.
That would be a dream come true for me if it's good.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Do people really think game studios are replaceable cogs in a capitalist machine?
Do you really think all the super talented people who helped make some of our favorite games are still at those studios or will remain at them?

Do you really think a smaller studio that's pumping out bangers while rubbing two pennies together couldn't pump out a masterpiece if they had a better line of funding?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Whoever takes it in, I expect it'll be a much lower budget effort without Stadia money this time around.

Jul 24, 2018
Planescape? Neverwinter Nights? Icewind Dale? Is Hasbro just going to pretend that these other IPs no longer exist anymore? What about a new IP set in a previously unexplored part of the Forgotten Realms?

Guess Baldur's Gate is a renewed cow they get to milk so those other won't matter as much to them.
Aren't most of those games all in the Forgotten Realms anyway?

Jul 24, 2018
Random thought that came to my head, since the worst companies attract the worst, if WotC decides to partner with 2k, I think Firaxis could do a BG4, especially after Midnight Suns
Here's an out there thought: Arkane!

BG3 was heavily inspired by Dishonored and former Arkane dev Raphael Colantonio just directed Weird West which is a isometric action immersive sim. I think Arkane's design approach lends itself well to that type of CRPG.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Release high quality figures of all the characters in the game. Star Wars that shit. Let us buy everyone from Raphael to those kids that sell newspapers in Baldur's Gate. Make all the money.
Seriously though where is all the merch, it's so weird that we're not drowning in it after the game's massive success. Someone I know is obsessed with the game, and I wanted to buy her something from it for Christmas. Nothing that wasn't fake tat. Got her a copy of Divinity Original Sin 2 instead; which I suppose is better in the long-run lol.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After having played Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous and Rogue Trader I think it would be fair if Owlcat got a shot at making a game in the DnD/Baldur's Gate setting they are pretty competent when it comes to CRPGs.

420blzUP

Oct 6, 2022
Do you really think all the super talented people who helped make some of our favorite games are still at those studios or will remain at them?

Do you really think a smaller studio that's pumping out bangers while rubbing two pennies together couldn't pump out a masterpiece if they had a better line of funding?

Yes, the majority of lead devs from DOS1+2 were still with Larian for BG3.

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously though where is all the merch, it's so weird that we're not drowning in it after the game's massive success. Someone I know is obsessed with the game, and I wanted to buy her something from it for Christmas. Nothing that wasn't fake tat. Got her a copy of Divinity Original Sin 2 instead; which I suppose is better in the long-run lol.

Well, best guess is that nobody predicted this level of success, and spinning up the figure production takes time. I'd expect we'll see an avalance of figures in a year or so.

Remember when Frozen launched and there was no merch for months and months?

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I mean, I'll try to keep an open mind but there's no way they'll be able to match what Larian accomplished with BG3.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Aye, but what I mean is that Hasbro are pushing for another Baldur's Gate sequel to cash in on BG3's success when there are other Forgotten Realms game IPs that haven't been touched in at least a decade plus. They could also have a developer work on a new game set in a previously unexplored region of the Forgotten Realms.

Audience expectations for BG4 are going to be so high that most developers are probably not going to be in a position to meet them. It makes more sense to do something with one of the other existing IPs.

Jul 24, 2018
Aye, but what I mean is that Hasbro are pushing for another Baldur's Gate sequel to cash in on BG3's success when there are other Forgotten Realms game IPs that haven't been touched in at least a decade plus. They could also have a developer work on a new game set in a previously unexplored region of the Forgotten Realms.

Audience expectations for BG4 are going to be so high that most developers are probably not going to be in a position to meet them. It makes more sense to do something with one of the other existing IPs.
Oh yeah for sure I was always hoping Larian would do a Waterdeep game or Neverwinter but alas. You are right that WotC and Hasbro's decision to capitilize on a BG4 feels like they desperately want another sequel rather than trying something new.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I wonder how much of the tech of Baldur's Gate 3 is owned by Larian and WotC could hand that engine and ask for someone do a Baldur's Gate 1 and/or 2 remakes for a team to get the hang of things before a possible Baldur's Gate 4(Also someone make BG1 and 2 turn based combat without THAC0 and weird 2e stuff so I can play it, please)

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Yes. The Forgotten Realms is mostly just the Sword Coast these days anyway, that's the only part that gets any focus really, though Waterdeep has gotten a bit too. Baldur's Gate is certainly the only place that had any sort of brand recognition before BG3, let alone now.

Yes, except for Planescape which is a separate campaign setting and the game it's most famous for, Planescape: Torment, is a very different sort of game and I'm not sure a sequel to that would fit the D&D 5th Edition mechanics at all.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the majority of lead devs from DOS1+2 were still with Larian for BG3.
That has nothing to do with the industry at large. There's countless talented people who've worked on a variety of RPGs, action games, narrative driven games, graphically intense games, and so on. To say that only Larian is capable of doing what they did when what they did wasn't just based on talent but also based on the fact that they had the time, funding, and creative freedom to achieve what they needed to achieve.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Give Tactical Adventures a ton of money and have them try.

Or just go GamesWorkshop with it, and have a ton of different developers work on different games.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

you simply can't have another golden age of RPG like the 90s, the cost are just too high nowadays.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
It's time for the cancelled Beamdog Planescape Torment 2 game to come out! Throw in the Baldurs Gate 2 expansion please.

If Hasbro were smart, they wouldn't be banking on Baldur's Gate 4 in 10-15 years time, but shopping around their other IP's to smaller devs and budgets, being realistic with what they are asking for and see if they can churn out quality mid budget games and get some brand recognition like they kinda had in the 90s/00s. I've always said Icewind Dale 3 I think is a prime candidate for a classic isometric rtwp style crpg as it has less narrative and critical baggage that anyone can pick it up and take it anywhere. I would like to see them take chances on stuff that's not Baldur's Gate (in this respect I'm saying a faithful Icewind Dale 3 is a risky move, as that style is way out of vogue).

I'm not sure exactly which ones they own but you've could have anything from Ravenloft adventure games, Spelljammer scifi racing, Mad Max esque Dark Sun management sim, Greyhawk has pretty good books as far as I know you could make a single player character action game, combine those worlds and have a multiplane fighting game or a fucking kart racer whatever. They could expand these so much if they just tried. Kinda like Star Wars, there is tons of feedom with the IP to make anything if they can latch onto the right concept.

Or I dunno lean on their past games and just remake them. I'd love to play Pools of Radiance in Baldur's Gate 3 engine for example. They could probably kick out remakes of all the gold box/silver box games for decades if they wanted to.

Oct 27, 2017
No one will be able to deliver what Larian did with BG3 but good luck to those who try. As many have stated it is either Owlcat or Obsidian. Again, good luck to anyone who picks it up after Larian, they are going to need it.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Yes, except for Planescape which is a separate campaign setting and the game it's most famous for, Planescape: Torment, is a very different sort of game and I'm not sure a sequel to that would fit the D&D 5th Edition mechanics at all.

There is actually a 5th edition Planescape campaign setting book set from Wizards of the Coast. So you could make it work.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
There is actually a 5th edition Planescape campaign setting book set from Wizards of the Coast. So you could make it work.

Oh that I know. But the game Planescape: Torment is not your typical high adventure fantasy romp that the 5th Edition mechanics are built for. A sequel to that is what I'm talking about.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I hope they don't try to emulate BG3 too closely. I love the game, but it's a Larian-ass game - you can't just make that without their history and expertise.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Oh that I know. But the game Planescape: Torment is not your typical high adventure fantasy romp that the 5th Edition mechanics are built for. A sequel to that is what I'm talking about.

Yeah I've played it and Tides of Numenera (which used the Numenera ruleset), I'm just saying, I think you could pull it off with some changes. After all, BG3 is loosely 5th edition rules as is haha.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I honestly don't thinka nyone could make a BG as good as BG3, and you'd need someone at least moderately big to try. Whoever makes it and if it ever gets made I hope it does speak to people though like BG3 spoke to me

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Aside from BG3, almost every game that Hasbro released attached to the D&D franchise have been miserable. I do not have high hopes on them actually learning what made BG3 such a beloved game.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
In my dreams, they forgo an RPG entirely and give it to Capcom to make Chronicles of Baldur's Gate, a long overdue follow up to Chronicles of Mystara.

Honestly i don't know that making a new BG3 anytime soon is actually a good idea. Unless they can dig up another diamond like Larian - who already had the cRPG pedigree from Divinity Original Sin - there's such a small chance that another studio can do a game of that quality on that scale at the moment. I don't think most studios will keep up in the inevitable comparisons.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Who is funding it though? Not Hasbro/WotC. They get paid by the person making the game via license fee. They aren't a publisher who is paying for the game production. Larian paid for BG3's budget out of their own pocket using the profits from OS2 and then EA for BG3. Someone like Owlcat can't do that because they don't have the cash on hand that Larian had going into the project. So the only devs who could do this would need to have the backing of an existing publisher or a helluva lot of VC or private investment money.
I wonder how much of the tech of Baldur's Gate 3 is owned by Larian and WotC could hand that engine and ask for someone do a Baldur's Gate 1 and/or 2 remakes for a team to get the hang of things before a possible Baldur's Gate 4(Also someone make BG1 and 2 turn based combat without THAC0 and weird 2e stuff so I can play it, please)

All of that tech is Larian's. It's the engine they've been building on since OS1. They could theoretically license it to a new dev though.

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
First studio that comes to mind is inXile entertainment, the creators of Wasteland 2 and 3, Torment: Tides of Numenera and Bards Tale. They are busy with Clockwork Revolution though.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know who I'd pick to develop BG4… talk about a tough act to follow. I'd say Obsidian or Owlcat, but the former is probably stretched thin with their current workload and Owlcat games are… a tad buggy at launch. Then again, Baldur's Gate 3 was also a buggy at launch so idk

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually was thinking, for those who played Disco Elysium, how would you feel about ZA/UM taking a crack at a D&D game?

I haven't had a chance to play Disco yet, but I've heard a lot of great things about it from a narrative perspective.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to go for the same scale, the only studios that i feel could remotely handle it are Obsidian and inXile, both are in the middle of large dev cycles. I don't trust Owlcat's encounter and level design at ALL. I remember really liking kingmaker and I played wotr after bg3 and MAN you could just tell at a glance how much worse it was, not to mention the sheer gap in presentation (lets even ignore graphic prowess and voice acting, they couldnt even be bothered to give unique character art to all important NPCs).

I mean, Planescape torment was built on top of ADnD which was also not an ideal fit, but the writing made it shine, so it's not like 5e would be impossible. There is even an attempt at a dialogue driven 5e game being made right now, Esoteric Ebb. In a dream scenario, ZA/UM would be helming a theorethical 5e Planescape game, but considering that status of that studio, who even knows who could make it justice.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to go for the same scale, the only studios that i feel could remotely handle it are Obsidian and inXile, both are in the middle of large dev cycles. I don't trust Owlcat's encounter and level design at ALL. I remember really liking kingmaker and I played wotr after bg3 and MAN you could just tell at a glance how much worse it was, not to mention the sheer gap in presentation (lets even ignore graphic prowess and voice acting, they couldnt even be bothered to give unique character art to all important NPCs).

It's not a "bother" thing. It's budget. Owlcat didn't have the budget for the production values you are clearly looking for.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually was thinking, for those who played Disco Elysium, how would you feel about ZA/UM taking a crack at a D&D game?

I haven't had a chance to play Disco yet, but I've heard a lot of great things about it from a narrative perspective.
Disco is incredible from a narrative standpoint, but ZA/UM's whole philosophy is (was) based around politically conscious social commentary. If the team were still intact, I honestly think such an endeavour would be beneath them.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019

A lot of individuals involved in Disco Elysium's story and unique vibes are no longer with ZA/UM after some changes in corporate structure and legal issues