• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a "bother" thing. It's budget. Owlcat didn't have the budget for the production values you are clearly looking for.

For graphics and voice acting I fully agree, its just on a completely different scale. They could have, and should have, had portraits for everyone. Vastly cheaper and makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of a game. And its not like they were a brand new studio, it was their second Pathfinder game even, it's hardly an impossible ask.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Aye, but what I mean is that Hasbro are pushing for another Baldur's Gate sequel to cash in on BG3's success when there are other Forgotten Realms game IPs that haven't been touched in at least a decade plus. They could also have a developer work on a new game set in a previously unexplored region of the Forgotten Realms.

Audience expectations for BG4 are going to be so high that most developers are probably not going to be in a position to meet them. It makes more sense to do something with one of the other existing IPs.
Hasbro is very safe. They see something that works once, they will milk it endlessly.

Feb 16, 2022
And yet they did not say "they won't ever work with D&D stuff anymore.". You are putting words in someone's mouth, by the literal definition of the phrase lol.
Do you understand how a quote works? Did I quote what they said? I was paraphrasing. Hence no quotation marks. The fact that you have to put quotation marks on my sentence without changing the "they" to "we" alone makes it clear how disingenuous you're being, that quote no longer makes sense. Why would they refer to themselves as "they"?

But that's not me putting words in their mouth, it's literally what even gaming outlets were reporting because people aren't all incapable of reading between the lines and grasping context.

"Like Gustav, Baldur's Gate will always have a warm spot in our heart," Vincke said (via PC Gamer). "We'll forever be proud of it but we're not going to continue in it. We're not going to make new expansions which everybody is expecting. We're not going to make Baldur's Gate 4 which everybody is expecting us to do. We're going to move on. We're going to move away from D&D and we're going to start making a new thing."

They won't ever go back to BG, that much is clear. This is them closing the door on anything D&D.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Do you understand how a quote works? Did I quote what they said? I was paraphrasing. Hence no quotation marks. The fact that you have to put quotation marks on my sentence without changing the "they" to "we" alone makes it clear how disingenuous you're being, that quote no longer makes sense. Why would they refer to themselves as "they"?

I'm just going to put you on ignore and move along. Every one of your responses is so full or irony I don't even know how to have a conversation about this with you heh.

Feb 16, 2022
I'm just going to put you on ignore and move along. Every one of your responses is so full or irony I don't even know how to have a conversation about this with you heh.
Let's just cut through the bullshit: Do you really think that people thinking the firing of WotC's staff that helped make the project happen could possibly be one of the reasons Larian doesn't want to work with WotC anymore is a "conspiracy theory"? Or are you just trying to be condescending and talking down on people you disagree with?

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really think all the super talented people who helped make some of our favorite games are still at those studios or will remain at them?

Do you really think a smaller studio that's pumping out bangers while rubbing two pennies together couldn't pump out a masterpiece if they had a better line of funding?
Both of these points have a ground of truth, but it's not so simple.

1. Teams are often more than the sum of its parts and there are factors such as management style that absolutely affect the output regardless of the individual members.

2. A small team making great small games does not necessarily scale to a large team making great large games.

In any case, to your point it will be cool to see other studios getting this kind of budget, but it's definitely not a given that the output will be of similar quality.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There are not many developers I can think of that I would put on a list for this. In the very top would be Obsidian though. They were apart of the revitalization of the cRPG genre and delivery quality titles with the PoE games and Tyranny.

Owl at has shown their talents as well but not sure if they are already up for what would no doubt be a huge project.

They would definitely not be on my list.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Let's just cut through the bullshit: Do you really think that people thinking the firing of WotC's staff that helped make the project happen could possibly be one of the reasons Larian doesn't want to work with WotC anymore is a "conspiracy theory"? Or are you just trying to be condescending and talking down on people you disagree with?
I wonder if half of this forum is even aware that WotC pissed off a lot of people early last year by trying to overhaul the OGL as a means to give them legal ownership of all third party content created thereafter. BG3's success went a long way towards drawing attention away from that.

The Solasta devs don't seem keen on a sequel using the DnD rule set anymore, and I'd honestly be surprised if anyone bit on the possibility of developing a BG4.

Feb 16, 2022
I wonder if half of this forum is even aware that WotC pissed off a lot of people early last year by trying to overhaul the OGL as a means to give them legal ownership of all third party content created thereafter. BG3's success went a long way towards drawing attention away from that.
Based on some of the reception I got ITT, I doubt it lol. They also likely missed the fact that some Larian people have called out WotC's layoffs on social media. Yes, Larian said good things about their partnership and they likely parted in good terms. But it doesn't mean there couldn't have been other reasons for Larian to decide not to work with them anymore.

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
Lots of people are suggesting Owlcat for the next DND, but I don't think they have what it takes. They have weak technology and development processes, which results in laggy, buggy games made in Unity. Kingmaker and WoTR are to this day still too buggy to properly enjoy on a console.

Hopefully the success of BG3 will spur the establishment of some higher-skilled RPG development teams.

Oct 8, 2019
I just think the answer is obvious, if Hasbro puts out an entire line of D and D action figures and makes billions, how much does Larian see from the BG3 characters? Anything?

They created those characters, and Hasbro is going to reap the benefits. Its just foolish to have the success of Baldur's Gate 3 and just assume that any of it had to do with the D & D license. Does Hasbro own the idea of a vampire Elf? A Priestess figuring out that she's been abused by her foster mother? A giant female fighter trying to escape enslavement by Devil? Larian did an excellent job on the writing and shouldnt give someone else money for the rights to a bunch of names.

Its like asking why Sunrise stopped doing work for hire in 1980. What happened in 1981 made work for hire obsolete.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I just think the answer is obvious, if Hasbro puts out an entire line of D and D action figures and makes billions, how much does Larian see from the BG3 characters? Anything?

They created those characters, and Hasbro is going to reap the benefits. Its just foolish to have the success of Baldur's Gate 3 and just assume that any of it had to do with the D & D license. Does Hasbro own the idea of a vampire Elf? A Priestess figuring out that she's been abused by her foster mother? A giant female fighter trying to escape enslavement by Devil? Larian did an excellent job on the writing and shouldnt give someone else money for the rights to a bunch of names.

Its like asking why Sunrise stopped doing work for hire in 1980. What happened in 1981 made work for hire obsolete.
Those characters appear in other WotC products. They were in Magic the Gathering around the same time early access happened. WotC wouldnt do that if they didnt own it completely. Larian wanted to work on BG and knew what that meant. Also vampire elves are not exactly some new thing.

Oct 8, 2019
Those characters appear in other WotC products. They were in Magic the Gathering around the same time early access happened. WotC wouldnt do that if they didnt own it completely. Larian wanted to work on BG and knew what that meant. Also vampire elves are not exactly some new thing.

I just said that

my point is that after the success of BG3 it makes sense for Larian to want to work on something they own and not share tens of millions of dollars with Hasbro for a bunch of names.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
My only real fear is they might be tempted to try and switch genres for the next mainline BG entry, rather than just make it a spin-off instead.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
What has been happening with D&D is a prime example of suits thinking they know better and stepping in to ruin things. The franchise has been ready to bow up for a few years now and Hasbro suits are doing all the wrong things.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why I should be hyped for BG4 rather than for whatever Larian cooks up next.
I liked BG3 but mostly because of what Larian does, forgotten realms as a setting doesn't really do much for me.
Give me a new IP or DOS4

VoidShaman

Jul 11, 2023
You know who really should have the shot at this...?

343i. People have been asking to get them off of Halo for years, and now with this opportunity, it works out for everyone!

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
No company that has to answer to shareholders is going to come anywhere close to replicating BG3.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not sure why people are saying BioWare, they're vastly different now to the ME3 Bioware, let alone the BG BioWare.