Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Check Betis, from the Spanish league. One of the very few teams I've seen everyone loves (except Sevilla fans). Also, damn fun to watch in recent years.

PS: I'm a Real Madrid fan, just the best team in the multiverse.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to hijack the thread a bit to ask few question too because I stopped following the sport after AC Milan sucking hard around 6 year ago.

- Is DM (Defensive Midfielder) still considered as the most valuable position aside superstar attacker? if so, who is the best DM right now?

- Is Messi and CR still by far the most popular name in sport, and name below both still quite behind?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to hijack the thread a bit to ask few question too because I stopped following the sport after AC Milan sucking hard around 6 year ago.

- Is DM (Defensive Midfielder) still considered as the most valuable position aside superstar attacker? if so, who is the best DM right now?

- Is Messi and CR still by far the most popular name in sport, and name below both still quite behind?
- DM is a super important position, but it's by far, the most obscure one. It's very tactical, and that's something hard to show to the public. I'm not sure who the best one is, but at a high level you find people like Kanté, Casemiro, De Jong (maybe not a DM mainly), Busquets, Matuidi, Fabinho maybe?

- Yes, Messi and CR7 are still the top two. There's a big jump below, then Neymar, Hazard, Mbappe, Griezzman, Bernardo Silva and a lot more that seem pretty damn good...

This is not true. Fuck Betis. Signed: not a Sevilla fan.
Wasn't expecting a 100% success rate haha

Why the hate for them? :D

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Hmm, not quite sure about that. Few teams actually play with traditional strikers anymore since the attacking game has become more fluid, so most valuable is probably the attacking midfielder/winger type a la De Bruyne/Hazard. As for best DM, a good argument can be made for Kanté.

We're probably entering the last season of Messi + CR being leagues ahead of others, and you could probably argue that at least the first two mentioned have been at their level recently. De Bruyne is a ridiculous player.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The Real Madrid is a true club, meaning it's fully owned by its members, and not by an oligarch or a corporate holding like many other big teams. It's makes all its money strictly from its operation.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Find a team you have some sort of connection to. It could be the way they play, the club's philosophy, your family heritage etc etc.

Don't just pick a team because they are winning. You need more for it to really matter so when things go bad you don't just lose interest entirely.

Shav1

May 18, 2018
Just watch some games and see which team stands out for you.

Generally, Manchester City and Liverpool are considered to be playing the most attractive football at the moment, but their styles are quite different and you will probably find one more entertaining than the other

But don't pick City. Or Manchester United. Or Chelsea.
Or Arsenal...

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I figured this would be a contentious thread.
So we've got, Wolves, Real Madrid, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, as the tops.
Real Madrid obv being in the Spanish league.

If you want a great underdog with a chance of winning in the Champions League (Cup fight between the best European teams) look no further than Ajax. Their budget it puny compared to the European mights (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Manchester, Bayern Munich) yet they managed to get to the final four in the CL with attacking and daring football, basically with one of the, on average, youngest teams in the competition.

They lost quite a few players since last season, due to their stellar performance, so it remains to be seen how they will fair this year, but they are the one to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
So the leagues and the Champions/Europa League have all been explained to death, but one other competition you should be aware are the various domestic cup competitions. These are basically season-long single elimination knock-out competitions (like North American play-offs) that are open to most all of the clubs. This is where you get most of the cool David vs Goliath stories where some semi-pro team in the fourth division beats a top level team (usually because the top level team is focused on other competitions and rolled out their B team for the cup.)

In England, there are two main ones, the FA Cup and the League Cup. The FA Cup (Emirates FA Cup for sponsorship reasons) is more prestigious and includes basically all of the teams everywhere, while the League Cup (Carabao Cup) is just teams from the higher levels (EFL League 2 on up.)

Currently leaning:
1. Wolves
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
From what you've said, that seems like a fine list (although with Wolves comes relegation worries,) but for full disclosure, Arsenal is to Spurs as Iowa is to ISU.

Jul 18, 2018
Currently leaning:
1. Wolves
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal

Hmm. Time to watch some matches.
Wolves are the underdog if you want.

Liverpool FC is a club that has won countless times. So that's a club if u want to just watch them win with talent.

Arsenal is the club for you if you want to have hope every season and then have it be crushed near the end since they spend so much and gain so little. Also their owner is someone that doesn't seem to care much about the team, hell fans want him out too which is the dilemma happening this summer. Rich owner -> Club gets new Stadium -> Club finances are a mess -> Don't have enough $ to buy talent despite them being on of the top 5 teams in Premier League -> A mess. I just suggest staying away from this club. (Well the hope part relates since u a ISU fan ;) -I'm an ISU alumni btw hahahaha )

Don't go for Barca/Real because that league is tainted by so much talent, the only acceptable ones from there are anything else but those two. Unless u know u want to root for straight winners again

From what you've said, that seems like a fine list (although with Wolves comes relegation worries,) but for full disclosure, Arsenal is to Spurs as Iowa is to ISU.
Except its not though. Spurs made some great transfer though this summer, and i would still have them at better chances than Arsenal ;)

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Eintracht Frankfurt (1. Bundesliga, Germany's first division).
Best fans in all of Europe. Fight me!
Underdogs with an insane run in this years Europa League.

Watch this:

Best-of choreos (I have no idea if that word also is in the English language) of the following matches:

01. Eintracht Frankfurt vs Apollon Limassol 2:0 | 25.10.2018
02 .Eintracht Frankfurt vs Olympique Marseille 4:0 | 29.11.2018
03. Eintracht Frankfurt vs Inter Mailand 0:0 | 07.03.2019
04. Eintracht Frankfurt vs SL Benfica Lissabon 2:0 | 18.04.20
05. Eintracht Frankfurt vs Chelsea London | 1:1 02.05.2019

Also: Attila.

csm_9-sge-bvb011130.11.14aw_f74c28d418.jpg

Also: USMNT's Timothy Chandler plays for Frankfurt.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any team not named Liverpool would be good. They have by far the most annoying and obnoxious fans on the planet.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
- DM is a super important position, but it's by far, the most obscure one. It's very tactical, and that's something hard to show to the public. I'm not sure who the best one is, but at a high level you find people like Kanté, Casemiro, De Jong (maybe not a DM mainly), Busquets, Matuidi, Fabinho maybe?
Gattuso and Mahamadou Diarra is my favorite player ever, so I have adoration for elite DM, bonus point if they can playmake a bit.

Oh how I forgetting Makelele, that handsome motherfucker.
Hmm, not quite sure about that. Few teams actually play with traditional strikers anymore since the attacking game has become more fluid, so most valuable is probably the attacking midfielder/winger type a la De Bruyne/Hazard. As for best DM, a good argument can be made for Kanté.
Not sure about which? DM or Attacker being important.. I use attacker as catch all term, would classify such as Hazard as one.

I can't ever imagine DM not being important in football games, but who knows.. an Center actually became lesser position in basketball.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't pick one of the boring top clubs.

Pick Ipswich Town. Who needs to be entertained when they watch a game of football? Certainly not Town fans!

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
I've always been a football (soccer here in the states) fan, and enjoy watching a bit of MLS and the World Cup, but I've never figured out all the European leagues and their structure. I know the names of some clubs (Manchester United, Arsenal, etc.) but never looked into how all these teams and leagues work.

From a quick google, it appears that in the English league there are four tiers with Premiere League on top, and every year the bottom 3 in each tier get replaced by the top 2 of the league below and one tourney winner. Is this correct? I also see Spain has its own league (with Messi) as do most countries. Please explain more, if there is.

Also, if I want to start getting into Premiere League, who should I support? With 4 tiers worth of teams, it seems like there are dozens to pick from...

It's all a bit overwhelming for an American, I can't be alone!

I was in your shoes 8-9 years ago and ended up choosing Manchester City for a variety of reasons, which has been great. Choosing a random club, I would definitely choose one of the big 6. Find a team with the colors, players, and coaches you like.

Also, if you are in a metro area all of those clubs should have a supporters club in the city. I helped start the one in Tampa. Great way to meet people and be part of community. The pub we watch in is owned by a Liverpool fan and the last day of the season it was half full of Liverpool and City fans. A lot of fun in those environments. I would recommend checking out a supporters club in your area before settling on your team.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Throwing my hat in with the mighty Lincoln City. In the third tier of English Football for the first time in 20 years, on a massive upward trajectory right now. Having spent 6 years in non-league football after a catastrophic relegation, a new managerial duo (brothers, Danny and Nicky Cowley), took them back to the football league in their first season, as well as reaching the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup, beating Championship sides Ipswich and Brighton along the way, as well as claiming the Premier League scalp of Burnley.

In their second season, they won the Checkatrade Trophy, a competition maligned by fans but one that gave Lincoln their first ever appearance and victory at Wembley Stadium. They also finished in the play-offs of League 2.

In their third season, they won League 2 comfortably. Taking the average attendance at games from 2,000 to 9,000 in 3 years, this season is going to be awesome.

A deep history, a hugely vocal fanbase, an exciting squad, and the best managerial duo in English football right now. It's an exciting time to be an imp.

Plus, we're located in the city with the best cathedral in the world. Don't @ me.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
support chelsea and man city

and if you like corruption and cheating, Real Madrid and Barcelona
Lol. Not sure if serious. Two clubs that are sanctioned for violating financial fair play, and which literally the property of a Russian oligarch and a totalitarian oil regime that keeps slavery, respectively, versus two clubs that are fully owned by their members and are funded exclusively by the money they make from tickets, television rights and merchandising.

Noshino

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Liverpool but im biased.

Most teams have something to like, or if you are into hating you can always support Man U or Chelsea. Now, if you support slavery, lack of financial accountability, and/or have sympathy for baldness you go on and support Man City.

I feel we need more info on what you would like to support? A team that historically wins a lot, a team that is an uppity underdog, a team that usually fosters and gives opportunity to younger players, a team with a great fan culture, a team that often takes actual political stances, or maybe a certain playstyle? Any extra info would help, otherwise people are just gonna plug their own teams.

Thats a list of why he should pick Liverpool lol

• Tied for most awards in England
  • Yeah, we were underdogs til maybe 2-3 years ago. Still considered to be a more "sum of its parts" kind of team
  • Our academy gets a lot of exposure and we do try to give them play time. As it is one of our young ones, TAA, is well cemented in the 1st team and expected to be captain in the future
  • Fan culture? Every team fears Anfield for a reason lol
  • As for political stances, Liverpool is probably one of the, if not the, most political teams in Europe
  • GEGENPRESSING FOR LIFE! (Counter pressing poster child)

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Lmaoooooooooo
They literally got backhand money from the Spanish government.
You mean, that case from twenty years ago about irregular dealings with some terrains? That was not the Spanish government BTW, it was the PP town hall of Madrid at the time. They paid the money back after a judicial sentence. With the money they make from their operation. Meanwhile, clubs like Man City, PSG or Chelsea are owned and funded by oligarchs and oil regimes...

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I support Real Madrid but my lord does it feel like a love hate relationship and I don't want to wish that on you.

A good shout is Ajax from the Netherlands. They play really nice football to the eye.

Another way to find a team to support is the cheap ass way of supporting based in your fave players. I don't recommend it but it's there. Like Chelsea has a starlet American and you could root for them because of him lol

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
do you have an insane amount of self-loathing?
do you cling on nostalgic memories of better times while atm you are a train wreck?
do you sustain yourself with the hate of other people?
then:
1200px-Inter_Milan.svg.png

Inter FC
is the club for you.

Last edited:

Shav1

May 18, 2018
do you have an insane amount of self-loathing?
do you cling on nostalgic memories of better times while atm you are a train wreck?
do you sustain yourself with the hate of other people?
then:
1200px-Inter_Milan.svg.png
is the club for you.
Thought this was gonna be Arsenal. At least Inter has Conte now so they'll probably be competing for stuff soon.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Read "Football Leaks" then find yourself another sport that is not completely trash.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about both loving and hating a team at the same? You may wish to support Newcastle....

Seriously, don't. Being a Newcastle fan is the worst at the moment :(

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
FURTHER UPDATE, as I research my family history in real-time, the city we were from is North Petherwin, which used to be in Devon, now in East Cornwall. They apparently have North Petherwin FC, which is probably a low-tier team?