• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
As long as we have this government overseeing our future decisions(whether we remain or not), nothing good will happen.
Absolute shitshow.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
This decision is a disaster, now hungary, italy, every anti eu twats will do the same or campaign on promising of doing so.
The uk, poisoning the EU project to the very end
The Eu will probably want to rewrite art50 after this mess.

Dec 3, 2018
C_dZUADXkAEw-Yt.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I kinda think I think if there were a 2nd referendum, leave would still win by about the same thin margin.
Why?

That would require everyone who didn't vote to either abstain again or roughly vote in the same vein the original vote went. There are also many former brexit voters who have changed their mind, and I doubt the opposite is true.

All that needs to be done is clearly point at the current shitshow and be honest with the voting public about the reality of what is on offer, what offer is even possible, and be very up front about why the current machinations of the political class completely undermine a vote to leave

I'm not convinced of this doomsday profecy 2nd vote to leave - yes some have dug their heels in, but a strong showing for remain (now that it is easier to show actual consequences) would prevail in my opinion - though I'm prepared to be thought of as naïve in that regard

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
So what would you guys say the percentage change of remaining is ? I'm not from the UK and barely know the basics of the whole situation.

Or rather I should say the chance of a second referendum.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
"Government will step up preperations for no deal"

WHY? What the fuck, its literally been proven by two sources we can cancel the whole fucking thing. What is wrong with these idiots.

Hey, democracy works like that, people vote and then shit happens

I repeat what the other guy said:

The vote wasnt legally binding, leave side broke the law, Russia was interfering, we didnt have any details on leaving

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
So what would you guys say the percentage change of remaining is ? I'm not from the UK and barely know the basics of the whole situation.

Or rather I should say the chance of a second referendum.
Probably still low. Corbyn wants power, not the EU so even a GE wouldn't stop it as no other bugger will get the seat.

If he was Remain then the chances would be much better.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, democracy works like that, people vote and then shit happens
And 4 or 5 years later we all vote again.

This is something that once its done we might not be able to vote on again for 10 years, and it could be 15 or 20 before we got back into the EU. This is not just any other vote.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think a second referendum would result in another vote as close as the first one. That is entirely the problem with Brexit and why a deal is so difficult, there is no clear direction the majority of people want to go so there is nothing that can satisfy enough people.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows why individual people voted for brexit. So they could turn around and say 'well Norway deal would technically be leaving the EU, just without changing much'. Just that they've fixated on freedom of movement being restricted and the nebulous trade deals bollocks.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
If shit could be prevented, shouldn't we fight for that?
Or, should we sit back and let it happen because gammons wanted brown people out of the country?

Tough choice tbh.
/s

Listen, i get the sentiment in feeling like youre on the right side of the issue, but a lot of people are not going to be happy if EU and Remain side somehow manage to not uphold the results of the referendum, that would in fact only make people feel like EU is not a democratic system which would fuel the flames in the growing anti-EU sentiment in the eastern side of europe which in the long run would be a bad thing

You have to respect the voting results

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listen, i get the sentiment in feeling like youre on the right side of the issue, but a lot of people are not going to be happy if EU and Remain side somehow manage to not uphold the results of the referendum, that would in fact only make people feel like EU is not a democratic system which would fuel the flames in the growing anti-EU sentiment in the eastern side of europe which in the long run would be a bad thing

Oh fuck off do we. That's exactly the point of non binding. You're suggesting we fuck the country up because half the country are thick as shit and are looking to take an act of Darwinism. Pick a better argument cause its weak and tired as the old fucks pushing for it.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
I kinda think I think if there were a 2nd referendum, leave would still win by about the same thin margin.

Yeh seeing polls weaver thinly between leave/remain makes a 2nd referendum a risky move, If there was a 2nd referendum and it was between May's deal or remain then it's in the bag. It depends on what's on the ballot paper though, if it became a preference vote then it becomes a lot harder to call.

Nov 2, 2017

The entire Brexit referendum was based on wild fantasies that had no connection whatsoever to reality.

It's like someone talked you into making a promise that you'd bury a 8 inch kitchen knife into your stomach because someone told you that would release a genie who could grant you 3 wishes, and after promising to do so, you got a hard lesson in the fact that genies aren't real and stabbing yourself in the stomach is a bad idea that's only going to cause lifelong health problems. And this is the equivalent of going "OK, yeah, so the benefits I was sold on were a complete fantasy and doing this is going to be absolutely nothing but bad for me, but on the other hand, I did make a promise..."

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Government will step up preperations for no deal"

WHY? What the fuck, its literally been proven by two sources we can cancel the whole fucking thing. What is wrong with these idiots.

Yeah, no deal doesn't fly. If shit is going to hit the fan you revoke article 50 instead of destroying the UK.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, no deal doesn't fly. If shit is going to hit the fan you revoke article 50 instead of destroying the UK.

May is playing chicken with parliament, i do have some concern her faith in her own ability is going to drive the country over the cliff by mistake. She is incredibly binkered.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It depends, 30% of all eligible voters voted leave, people may have changed their minds both ways, younger people who reached voting age, people that died, would they allow Britains living outside the UK in the EU a vote this time? There is a lot of people who didn't vote and some who couldn't vote, whether they vote for remain or leave who knows but I think people will care a lot more in another referendum.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
so was the dressing down by the speaker just a formality - or is he going to make the government formally table an adjournment and let parliament vote on it?

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off do we. That's exactly the point of non binding.
It's not really. Binding referendums are almost impossible in the UK constitutional system. Parliament has ultimate sovereignty and cannot be compelled to act. The only way it can work is if you draft *and* pass the bill beforehand, and it includes a clause that says "and none of this shall apply unless and until approved by majority in a referendum" (which was of course impossible to arrange for Brexit).

Parliament was not compelled to invoke A50, but if it hadn't, it would have caused its own constitutional crisis. No future referendum (on any topic) would be possible, as their would have been a clear precedent for "nah, thanks but no thanks".

It was dumb to hold it, and the question was dumb, and the simple majority requirement was dumb, and the campaign was dumb, but the result was legitimate (enough) that it must be honoured in order to maintain confidence in the constitutional legitimacy of the government.

Which is why there is close to 0% chance of Remain happening without a 2nd referendum.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
May is playing chicken with parliament, i do have some concern her faith in her own ability is going to drive the country over the cliff by mistake. She is incredibly binkered.

Not like she would wheel out a vote a day before March 29th. She can't force it her way.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
It's a shame that John Oliver Season 5 ended recently. We could have had Brexit III episode.

At least after all of this, Theresa May will be exposed as far-right Eurosceptic and the second worst prime minister in the history of UK after David Cameron.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The entire Brexit referendum was based on wild fantasies that had no connection whatsoever to reality.

It's like someone talked you into making a promise that you'd bury a 8 inch kitchen knife into your stomach because someone told you that would release a genie who could grant you 3 wishes, and after promising to do so, you got a hard lesson in the fact that genies aren't real and stabbing yourself in the stomach is a bad idea that's only going to cause lifelong health problems. And this is the equivalent of going "OK, yeah, so the benefits I was sold on were a complete fantasy and doing this is going to be absolutely nothing but bad for me, but on the other hand, I did make a promise..."

It's like Brexit is some shitty MLM that the UK voted to enter based on wild fantasies but they now have a rare opportunity to leave because it's a complete con job

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

TBF, what you've also described here is every general election ever.

Politicians make careers out of promising the world in order to get people out to vote, only to under-deliver and leave us with the words, "well... shit happens"

I don't really see how Brexit was any different.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Politicians make careers out of promising the world in order to get people out to vote, only to under-deliver and leave us with the words, "well... shit happens"

It's quite different between pulling us out of the EU after 40 years of cooperation and integration on blatant lies and assumptions that will leave us poorer with ramifications for decades, loss of rights etc. compared to we won't put 1p on your petrol and promising more teachers, nurses.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, if it wasn't for all the other cockups outside of Brexit, I'd almost assume May was doing this to make sure we stay in the EU.

But no, it's just incompetence which may lead us to the best outcome.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Brexit is the Nigerian Prince scam, if after taking your money the fake Prince said "I'm not a Prince, I'm a Thief I'll give you your money back" and you said "no no I want to help you and I want a piece of your big cash load" and let him keep all your money.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

Actually you don't, it's just all the politicians being too chicken shit to save the country from this awful awful situation

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Nearly 100% of the Brexit promise was a lie, and much of that was pushed on you by foreign propaganda money that wants the EU weaker for *reasons*. With that knowledge in hand, pushing forward blindly seems like insanity.

"This is no different" is like saying "Trump lies no more than the average politician" when this is demonstrably untrue.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watching this shitshow circus unfold is equal parts hilarious and embarrassing. Part of me still hopes for us to just forget the whole thing.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Oh fuck off do we. That's exactly the point of non binding. You're suggesting we fuck the country up because half the country are thick as shit and are looking to take an act of Darwinism. Pick a better argument cause its weak and tired as the old fucks pushing for it.

I just dont see how anyone could "pick" any other outcome after all thats happened so far without setting a pretty dangerous presedent in "voting does not fucking matter"

A shitty shitty outcome but a pretty good example on how not to run a country

Its like climate change, old fuckers getting all the benefits while they live and leaving a big pile of shit for the generations to come after they die, literally leaving everything in worse shape than they had

"Thanks, you take care now"

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I just dont see how anyone could "pick" any other outcome after all thats happened so far without setting a pretty dangerous presedent in "voting does not fucking matter"

A shitty shitty outcome but a pretty good example on how not to run a country
Really? It looks pretty simple to me.

"We had absolutely no idea the damage leaving the EU would do to our economy and our future prospects in the world."

Then you either cancel unilaterally or you put your negotiated deal up against what you already have and get people to vote on what they want.