• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished my New Game Plus playthrough and decided to check out the English dub.

Kaiji Tang is fantastic as Kasuga and deserves to win Best Actor at GameAwards (and probably won't be nominated knowing TGA)

In fact, all the new characters sound fine in English but where it falters is with the legacy characters.

Everyone has talked about YongYea doesn't fit Kiryu and I really wish they just kept Darryl Kurylo as he at least gave Kiryu a baritone of strength. Majima and Saejima's English voices do not fit them at all and near the end of the game, at a key dramatic moment, Daigo's performance really falters compared to the Japanese version.

Guess I'll try Chinese dub for Legendary playthrough. Anyone try that?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
English Majima is impossible to replicate. I think Mercer did the best he could with a genuinely thankless job.

The only one I really think falters is Kiryu, and even he has his moment sometimes.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Granted, I haven't done a full playthrough in English like I did with Japanese, but I rewatched some important scenes in English, and... man. I did like Kaiji's Ichiban in Y7, but in some of the dramatic scenes I watched in English, Ichiban sounds like he's one cowabunga away from being a Ninja Turtle. Like, he just sounds too much like a cartoon surfer dude. Tomi's VA is great, but Yamai feels like a huge step down from the extremely tired, grumpy, droningly slow voice he has in Japanese. It feels like it would be so easy to replicate in English, but they just don't.

Both dubs seriously have some pros and cons. While the main cast in Japanese obviously sounds great, the English-speaking characters like Bryce and Dwight are fucking AWFUL and immediately suck all weight and energy out of a scene. The English dub fixes both (with the obvious inclusion of Danny Trejo's voice to go with his face), but I really feel like the main cast just doesn't compare to the Japanese cast.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Granted, I haven't done a full playthrough in English like I did with Japanese, but I rewatched some important scenes in English, and... man. I did like Kaiji's Ichiban in Y7, but in some of the dramatic scenes I watched in English, Ichiban sounds like he's one cowabunga away from being a Ninja Turtle. Like, he just sounds too much like a cartoon surfer dude. Tomi's VA is great, but Yamai feels like a huge step down from the extremely tired, grumpy, droningly slow voice he has in Japanese. It feels like it would be so easy to replicate in English, but they just don't.

Both dubs seriously have some pros and cons. While the main cast in Japanese obviously sounds great, the English-speaking characters like Bryce and Dwight are fucking AWFUL and immediately suck all weight and energy out of a scene. The English dub fixes both (with the obvious inclusion of Danny Trejo's voice to go with his face), but I really feel like the main cast just doesn't compare to the Japanese cast.
I also feel at a certain point, Chitose's Japanese voice had a lot more emotion than her English voice

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
My sensibilities are all fucked up, because I see videos memeing on the original Yakuza 1 dub and think: hey, that's pretty good.

I thought Y8's dub was great also, but I agree that many of the minor characters felt a bit phoned in…Daigo and company are a great example of this. Also it felt like the beginning and ending of Akane's voice directing instructions were "be a sad old lady". Otherwise, very good stuff. I loved Ei-chan hamming it up.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
I know plenty of people know this but the fact that Chitose and Yuffie has the same English VA blows my mind, Suzie Yeung is the GOAT

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Either they should have done an "Tekken universal language" moment or if that wasn't realistic enough just say Tomi was translating on the fly so Ichiban understood what Bryce and Dwight was saying in English.

I agree it was kind of weird that some character could suddenly have perfect conversational Japanese with Ichiban and it didn't really work for me lol.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has only ever played the games in Japanese until Yakuza 7, Goofy Date is so weird.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
are the random people saying "it's not a show shithead" the same if you play the english dub?
I love this part contrasted against everyone else speaking japanese lol

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I warmed up to the Kiryu VA. Played the entire game in English and once you're taking him for what he is and not the expectation/comparison of the JP VA, he does a good enough job I think.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic English dub overall. Maybe not as great IMO as LaD and the Judgment games, but the baseline quality for the RGG dubs is so damn high compared to most other games on the market that it still manages to be a standout effort.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Overall I am fine with Yong's Kiryu. 🤷

Like A Dragon 7 sounds peak for the English dub & actors; Mercer managed to be better than Hamill for Majima to me.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mainly play these games in Japanese, I decided to play Yakuza: Like a Dragon in English and I was pleasantly surprised on how good it was. I tried giving Yong a chance in Infinite Wealth, but after a chapter I switched back. His voice really doesn't fit the character imo. Wish they'd bring Darryl Kurylo back, but I know it ain't happening.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I love the english cast in both Judgment games and Yakuza 7, but I felt like Infinite Wealth ran into the sort of budget JRPG problem where they had too many younger voiced people cast as very obviously older people. Like Yong does a good job with what he was given, but we absolutely needed someone with some more depth and age to their voice there.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I really wish when characters like Dwight spoke english in the japanese dub, they just put in his english dub voice actor because it's really weird that this guy that's not japanese speaks with a heavily accented english to kids who actually have natural sounding english

and of course, Yongyea as Kiryu is the elephant in the room when it comes to voices acting. Kurylo and Kuroda are about the same age and Yongyea is like two decades younger than them and it he sounds like it

also the new guy they got for Daigo sounds way worse

LimeTime

Jul 17, 2023
All of the party characters (sans Kiryu) are some of the best English voice acting period. I could rave all day about how amazing they are. They are just as good, if not better, than the Japanese voice actors.

Kiryu, like you said, doesn't compare at all to the Japanese, which is some of the most iconic voice acting in a video game. I ended up getting used to it, and by the end I didn't really hate it like I did in the beginning, but still, it's no contest.

I actually think the worst voice acting in the game was Ichiban's mom. She sounded very amateurish. In the big scene between Ichiban and Akane, he's pouring his heart out while she just sort of sounded stilted. Considering her voice actress has from what I can tell never really done much voice acting before, that may be why.