• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched the dub so it's not a problem here but I can see how dub fans are a little miffed. Still, the new dub might be a good one.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Yes :D

Man, I love EoE. It's probably my fav movie of all time!
Awesome.

I've never watched the dub so it's not a problem here but I can see how dub fans are a little miffed. Still, the new dub might be a good one.
I don't think I'll mind it, but it sucks for the voice actors who have been known for these roles for decades. Now some new person will be Shinji, Asuka, Rei, etc., to all these new fans for as long as Netflix and this deal exists.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome.

I don't think I'll mind it, but it sucks for the voice actors who have been known for these roles for decades. Now some new person will be Shinji, Asuka, Rei, etc., to all these new fans for as long as Netflix and this deal exists.

Is it possible it's all a contractual hang-up on the original actors that they themselves aren't really aware of? Some small print prohibiting them from portraying the characters for another company in the future - this time Netflix? I'm surprised they've chosen to redub this way especially if there was nothing stopping them.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It also brings the question of what will happen to the final Rebuild of Eva movie dub when it will finally arrives in ...2020? 2021? probably 2021.
Since the others had the original cast, are they gonna keep them for consistency? Or are they gonna go consistent with the newer cast for anyone that was introduced to the series by Netflix?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I love that original dub but Jesus Christ, is it a product of it's time. You can't blame Netflix for spending gonzo dollars on the license and wanting something that is more in line with modern dubbing.
They should get Stephanie Sheh to voice Misato as an homage to Kotono Mitsuishi.
I'm picturing her voice and it would actually work really well.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The old dub was pretty terrible, so I'm open to a new dub, but hearing a different English voice out of Asuka and Misato is gonna be weird. I've become well aquanted with the sub in the event it doesn't work out though. I do wonder why they chose to change though, seems like a strange thing for Netflix to do especially after they proved themselves with the much better dubbing of the Rebuild movies.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Is it possible it's all a contractual hang-up on the original actors that they themselves aren't really aware of? Some small print prohibiting them from portraying the characters for another company in the future - this time Netflix? I'm surprised they've chosen to redub this way especially if there was nothing stopping them.

My guess is that Gainax was so pissed by how the Rebuild 3.0 dub came out they banned the actors from reprising their roles.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My guess is that Gainax was so pissed by how the Rebuild 3.0 dub came out they banned the actors from reprising their roles.

Gainax never had anything to do with the Rebuild and they stopped owning the rights for NGE in 2014.

Also the issue of 3.0 was the piss poor script translation and how they directed the voice acting in most scenes. The entire sequence with Shinji inside the Wunder is completely off and not how it is supposed to be in the Japanese version.

Last edited:

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gainax never had anything to do with the Rebuild and they stopped owning the rights for NGE in 2014.

Also the issue of 3.0 was the piss poor script translation and how they directed the voice acting in most scenes. The entire sequence with Shinji inside the Wunder is completely off and not how it is supposed to be in the Japanese version.

Iirc funimation needed to redub 3.0 because Anno/Khara wanted their translation as the script and not the one funimation adopted hence the flow was bad but they have no choice but to comply

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019

Khara I meant.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Iirc funimation needed to redub 3.0 because Anno/Khara wanted their translation as the script and not the one funimation adopted hence the flow was bad but they have no choice but to comply

Funimation got back to khara because at the first screenings of the movie people laughed at the movie because of some "choices" they made (especially the very homoerotic part in the middle of the movie). Khara had the official english translation of the movie made since 2013 already, they used it submit the movie to festivals and it was made by Dan Kanemitsu. Some of it was discussed here.

Just an example of something they ruined in their first script:

Shinji escapes in Mark.09's palm, Asuka is watching the smoke trail from a hatch.
- JP script "You're not a baka, you're a gaki" (baka is the nickname she gives to him after she acknowledge Shinji as someone worthy and relatable and not the one who pilots because of nepotism; gaki means brat, implying that he's running away like a kid and that their relationship "regressed", a common theme in everything 3.0)
- Funi script "Asshole" [people in the theater laughing]

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Funimation got back to khara because at the first screenings of the movie people laughed at the movie because of some "choices" they made (especially the very homoerotic part in the middle of the movie). Khara had the official english translation of the movie made since 2013 already, they used it submit the movie to festivals and it was made by Dan Kanemitsu. Some of it was discussed here.

Just an example of something they ruined in their first script:

Shinji escapes in Mark.09's palm, Asuka is watching the smoke trail from a hatch.
- JP script "You're not a baka, you're a gaki" (baka is the nickname she gives to him after she acknowledge Shinji as someone worthy and relatable and not the one who pilots because of nepotism; gaki means brat, implying that he's running away like a kid and that their relationship "regressed", a common theme in everything 3.0)
- Funi script "Asshole" [people in the theater laughing]

Never heard of people laughing or such

All i know is this disclaimer from funimation bd

https://youtu.be/7KqqgcI_vFs

"At the request of the creators"

Which invalidates what you linked saying khara didnt forced funimation to change the script

Also the one you linked didnt answer wheres his source came from

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Never heard of people laughing or such

All i know is this disclaimer from funimation bd

https://youtu.be/7KqqgcI_vFs

"At the request of the creators"

Which invalidates what you linked saying khara didnt forced funimation to change the script

Also the one you linked didnt answer wheres his source came from

The intro of the home video release only confirms that khara has to approve the translations (and this is true for every anime since the Gainax days and for every market) and that they forced some translations, like they did in the past already with NGE and the very famous "apostles" that turned into "angels" for the western markets.

Their first dub too was approved by khara and infact it went into theaters before entering publishing hell for the home video release.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017

*Eva clips*

Me:

giphy.gif

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty excited about this, I've been wanting to see Evangelion since probably 2001, haha

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I personally cannot wait for the social media reactions from those who have not seen it before. It will be glorious hahaha.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for a new dub if the script has a more accurate translation. I'm guessing either the original recordings aren't available to be sourced from, or Hideaki/Khara requested it as part of the licensing agreement.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm all for a new dub if the script has a more accurate translation. I'm guessing either the original recordings aren't available to be sourced from, or Hideaki/Khara requested it as part of the licensing agreement.

i'm guessing the bolded. it's not really a secret that they don't like the previous dubs.

Whoever is voicing Misato better be damn good

there won't be a better VA than Kotono Mitsuishi and that option will definitely be there!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for the VAs, but I'm cool with new blood being pulled in for this. Was a fan of the old dub, despite how great "I'm so fucked up" was.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping that the prices for the English DVD sets would go down when the show hits Netflix but now that the DVDs will be the only format to have the original dub they're probably gonna remain pricey.

FirstandYew

Oct 28, 2017
Boy those trailers are bad. It makes it look like a regular mecha show. The bad song they used certainly doesn't help. Why not use one of the most iconic soundtracks in tv history?

I actuallly dislike netflix's generic music in all their thumbnail previews and have been listening to the soundtrack so took it upon myself to throw this together.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Any of y'all ever read the manga? Is it any good? All of this Eva talk has got me interested in maybe picking up the manga.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Any of y'all ever read the manga? Is it any good? All of this Eva talk has got me interested in maybe picking up the manga.

Avoid it as a first time experience.

It does some things better like less filler angels and more linear exposition due to the story being settled instead of making it up along the way, but it also does many things incredibly wrong, with the ending being the worst offender.

I actuallly dislike netflix's generic music in all their thumbnail previews and have been listening to the soundtrack so took it upon myself to throw this together.

The trailers have been really bad. They look generic and they absolutely nothing of the visual charm of Eva.

Just look at this iconing 15 seconds TV ad for End of Eva

Or at this trailer for 3.0

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've started reading it recently. I'm only one volume in. It's... Different. That's all I'll say. It seems to try to make the themes of Evangelion more openly stated, but since it's not coming from Anno himself the angle feels a little strange. It's interesting. Sadamoto is clearly working from what he's been told and what he knows and is offering his own take, so it's like seeing Evangelion explored as a piece wholly separate from Anno himself, which just feels wrong to me in these really strange ways. The manga is ultimately just a companion piece to the TV show for fans who are looking for a different take. If that's what you're looking for, and you've already seen the show, go for it. Treat it as an officially sanctioned fanfiction.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Was probably not going to listen to the dub again but still will be weird to hear new cast. My first experience with the show was the original dub. It will feel so "wrong" despite being "better". At least I still have the old DVDs.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful. It's Evangelion rewritten for a younger audience - all of the dialogue was shortened and simplified, cheapening the whole thing even as it attempts to expand certain storylines. The manga also turns Shinji into more of a generic mech story protagnist which... oof... it certainly was a choice.

Nov 14, 2017
It's only with the announcement of this new dub that I've seen people stanning for the OG English dub. I don't get it. Shinji was terrible, the direction was totally off, I hated everything about it.

I am curious to see the new English translation though; there are certain aspects that I want to see how they handled. The final line of EoE for starters.