Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone ever return to an old job after you left? How long before you changed your mind or what changed to bring you back.
The grass isn't as green as I thought it was

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Not really the same thing, but I went back to work at the same retail store during summer breaks when I came home from college.

Hot Pocket

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I was made a generous offer to return to an old job 2 years after I had initially left on good terms. Promises galore. It only took three weeks before I decided to leave again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No, never. If I QUIT a job, chances are the experience was so miserable that going back there would be untenable.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I reckon its not bad if you liked the work and left for a specific reason.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Yes as I was offered a 40% pay increase a few months after leaving. Note relative to prior salary at the job it was closer to 60%.

Marven

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Illinois
Yes I have. I quit, went home and was like "oh man what do I do now." I called up my Dad and he said "just pull a George and go back like nothing happened." Which is exactly what I did and they told me that if I ever left again to not bother coming back. I quit the following week.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
Yes, it wasn't great to come crawling back but I had to help family at the time and needed the money. I got over it pretty fast though and it was fine in the end.

I ended up leaving a couple of years later though.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Worked at a place for 3-4 years. Left and came back a few years later only to see myself leave again probably 6 months in. I finally came to the realization that this particular career field just wasnt for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
When I was in college I worked at Subway over the Summer. When I had my interview there I said I intended to work there throughout the rest of my duration of being a college student, knowing full well I actually intended to quit once the school year started. IIRC this was like, something they specifically asked about and were looking for. So I did quit when the school year was about to start up again. The next Summer I got in contact with that Subway again and they rehired me for the Summer no questions asked.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
i returned to a job i was laid off from.

...it now occurs to me that im 40 and have never quit or left a job among the 5 ive had:
1. fired, 2. laid off, 3. seasonal work ended, 4. company shut down, 5. company bought out

Last edited:

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Lol, me quitting every job.

giphy.gif

Forced forward thinking I believe, no going backwards.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Worked at a retail job for several years in management, left for a while and then needed to go back to earn some extra money for a cross-country move. During the time I was not employed there they switched to using an automated screening process for applications, which then told them not to hire me because I wasn't qualified, lol.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Yep. I left what is now my current job after several years to pursue my own stuff, but I stayed in touch with some of the folks there. Five years later when I was looking for new work, they reached out to me and it felt like the right time to come back.

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
No, but I once interviewed with Hangar 13, who had taken over 2K Marin's old workspaces in the time since I quit my job at 2K Marin and then 2K Marin was shut down. It was weird! The people seemed great and they made me a nice offer, but that place would've always felt haunted to me. I didn't take the job.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
homer crawling through supplicant doggy door .gif

I did it, left and came back after a year. Kind of terrible since there wasn't any improvements and people just looked at me weird. I just went back since I needed a job.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
I honestly can't do it. If I start job hunting that just means I'm burnt out of my current job and need something else. Nothing but bad memories after I leave.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't quit, but I was hired back on to something I originated four years earlier. The instruction was basically to go back to that earlier take, so I did that, and then the cycle repeated anew.

NyasOminously

Aug 12, 2022
Have done. It was honestly pretty nice. Easy hiring process because I was just going back to working with my old manager, who already liked me and my work. The 'new' position was WFH because of COVID, which solved my primary problem from my previous tenure (awful commute). Second time around was better than the first.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I went back for a new role a few years after I left, and the feeling of absolute dread and regret when I walked in that first day was unbearable.

Peppi

Jul 26, 2023
Our CEO begged me to come back just as I was nearing the end of my 1 month notice. I told him I'd reconsider if he fires the company owners son and daughter who were actively dragging the company to shit.

You can guess what happened.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Not after quitting myself -

If I've made that decision, it would take an awful lot to change things enough for me to return (and I've probably already decided that was very unlikely, or voiced my concerns).

I've been let go though, and was basically begged to return, and they were good about honoring what I asked for and how things were going to be run.

TheKeipatzy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Technically with Amazon but that was a different facility and I noped out of there after I got covid there and then they wrote me up for not performing as well for a week after I came back.

Never ever going to go back there even though they contact me constantly to ask what my reason for leaving is.

I was almost tempted with another warehouse job which was a little bit more laid back left on bad terms

They actually offered me well over $2,500 to come back but as soon as I said I'd like to get my lawyer involved the offer disappeared.

Turns out if I had gone back they would have had to pay me a lot more xD and no I didn't sign anything but still. I should have pressed harder

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. Left my former employer after 8 years to take a career break and go do a Masters. Came back a year later as a freelance contractor. Still there another 11 years later.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well I quit once because I had something lined up, then it turned out they fucked up in the new place and had to go "ooops sorry I'm not leaving after all". They took it well actually and I had zero issues.

Then I left for real a year later.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
It depends why you left in the first place. I left my previous job because it was badly run and everyone was stressed out of their minds, it was a small company and the owner was the main problem. That's not going to be any different 5 years on, so I would never go back.

I could be leaving my current job at some point in the next few years to move to a different part of the country, unless anything changes between now and then I'd happily come back.

Slick Willy

Sep 14, 2022
When I was in high school a drug addict friend told me about a newspaper plant job where I could make $25 an hour in 2001, which was almost $45 an hour in today's money.

The job was showing up 3-6 AM on a Sunday morning once a week to a disgusting, freezing cold newspaper packing room and taking the front section of the paper, aligning it with the bottom section, slamming it on the counter to break it in and then folding it in half and jamming it into a plastic bag.

Repeat as many times as you can until the pile is gone. If you finished the pile you got the full day rate, if you didn't it was half pay.

It took me all of five minutes to realize I wasn't fast enough to clear the pile before the time was up, so I asked him what I should do.

He turned to me and said he just chucked a bunch of his papers onto empty stations when the manager wasn't looking because they never had a full house, so there was always open stations near us to spread them around.

I then turned around and looked and realized that was what literally everyone else was doing too. Most days the manager didn't even show up until after we stopped working, so it was easy.

Working from 3-6 AM on a Sunday was awful so I quit that job and came back a few months later a grand total of five times in 1 year. Even no-call, no-showed three times.

They were so desperate for people that they didn't care.

Rob's Zombie

Sep 28, 2022
Manchester, UK
Yeah in my mid 20's, I was going to travel for half a year across America and I put my notice in as I wasn't sure I'd be coming back. Some months after I returned, I asked for my old job back and that was it really.

JoelB_Digital

Sep 21, 2022
Yeah - Have returned just a couple weeks ago. I left after several years, but got made redundant at my new place after a year. I have returned as a freelancer and whilst it does feel strange to be going back at first, it's been great to have a bit of old routine work and not do it full time. I left on good terms and was asked if I'd want to come back as soon as they had heard the news of redundancy. It's important not to burn those bridges.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
LOL I am a nutjob for this.

My first proper full time office job I worked at in the following way in my 20s:

May 2014-September 2014: The intention from the start was a Summer job only as I had uni to finish, I got stressed and left
May 2015-June 2016: They put me on night shift in June, I got stressed and left
September 2016-May 2018: Jumped to a different job in a different industry, I wasn't good at that job and it didn't click for me so came back lol
September 2018-April 2020 (then kept getting paid by them without having to work during Covid until October 2020)

Thankfully I have grown up and come to my senses, my second job I worked at February 2021-November 2023 (and the first job actually tried to get me back in the middle of my spell there LOL).

And my current job December 2023-present

That first place I had a love-hate relationship with, as did they with me as they kept taking me back because I was so good. I would get really pissed off at them when they would be unreasonable with me, talk down to me, work me too hard unreasonably or deny pay rise etc. and I would leave suddenly, burning bridges, no notice nothing. I was living at my parents at the time, so obviously if I had been paying my own mortgage and bills like I do with my wife now (and have a baby) I would have never done that, but with the comfort of living off Mum and Dad I could comfortably behave like that, and they kept taking me back.

On the flip side the stress of working there in my formative years has helped shape me into the stoic person I am today. Plus they were nice to enough to give me a reference as if I worked for them May 2014-October 2020 uninterrupted.

But it was really bad from me, really entitled behaviour. But on the flip side I was being exploited by Capitalism manifest, so it felt a great fuck you "you can't control me like you think you can control other people in more desperate living circumstances".

Last edited:

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My first real job was Subway and I quit because my coworker dared me to, was only 18 I was an idiot, but at the same time it was graveyard shifts so it put my social life on hold.

I then went like 2 months without a job and at that point my mom was pissed and said I either get a job or leave home. I didn't want to deal with the anxiety of learning a new job and applying everywhere so I went back to subway albeit at a different location.

Wallers

May 9, 2020
About 2 months, realised I made a mistake and luckily my replacements were fired! At my current place a couple of people have come back a couple of months after leaving, everyone is really happy!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm on my 3rd time at my job. Quit twice, got begged back for a raise twice. That kind of vindication felt pretty good.

laura-palmer

Mar 25, 2021
It was a data entry temp job that I returned to once just to keep me occupied and earn some money during summer break.

But for a full time job? Never. The two companies I previously worked at had shit work-life balance/culture so there's absolutely no way I'm coming back.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Sort of. A few years ago I went freelance, last year the place I used to work for was bought by a super large company and they practically begged me to come back.
I thought about it for a few months, then finally named the price for a part time collaboration, half hoping it would seem too high but they agreed.
Still as a freelance though.

Volken

Sep 18, 2022
My old job called me to come back a year after I left.

Nope'd out real quick.

Heard that my co-worker (the only other person on my team) had left a few months after me as well so... yeah.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Twice in fact.

Boss was a bit of an arse, told him to fuck off once and walked out and still got a job with him a few years later, then later on again.
He'd burn through people like candles, I was a bit desperate and so was he so I worked as long as I needed to sort myself out.

It was nice because I was the only employee and it was only a 1 min walk.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Just the one time after I moved away from my home town for a few years and then moved back. It made sense to jump back into a job that i'd already known and I had no regrets.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Twice in fact.

Boss was a bit of an arse, told him to fuck off once and walked out and still got a job with him a few years later, then later on again.
He'd burn through people like candles, I was a bit desperate and so was he so I worked as long as I needed to sort myself out.

It was nice because I was the only employee and it was only a 1 min walk.
LOOOL this is so similar to my story above about my first job except I wasn't the only employee. But everything else is very similar 10 minute walk for me, 1 minute by car lol.