Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This one really caught my eye in the Indie World showcase.

This one gives me serious Ori vibes in platforming and art style, but seems more focused on puzzling. The OST just in the trailer sounds excellent, too.

The shifting dragon head mechanic looks pretty neat in some scenes shown, so I have hopes they did some interesting things with movement and puzzles here.

Anyone check it out yet?

Currently on a 15% launch discount at $16.99, thinking about picking it up depending on people's impressions. I'll update this with reviews too if anyone has found some!

www.dekudeals.com

Evergate | Deku Deals

Evergate - on sale now for 75% off. Compare all the current prices, see histories, and get deal alerts for the next sale at Deku Deals

Edit: just found this recent interview the team at Stone Lantern Games did with Nintendo Life. Great read. Very cool to see all the concept art shared, too!

check-out-the-trailer-at-the-bottom-of-the-page-to-see-the-soulflame-mechanic-in-action.original.png

evergate-narrative-storyboard-2.original.jpg

www.nintendolife.com

Evergate Developer Takes Us Behind The Scenes Of The Upcoming Puzzle-Platform Adventure

"[It's] a game that we're truly proud of"

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, will buy this prob on a later. Its more like celeste it seems

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Currently have it downloading on Switch as I write, will let you know what it's like. Certainly has Ori vibes to it, even for a second when I saw the trailer it was Ori.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Currently have it downloading on Switch as I write, will let you know what it's like. Certainly has Ori vibes to it, even for a second when I saw the trailer it was Ori.

I had the same thought pop in my head when it came on the screen. I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks lovely but I hate how tiny the protagonist is on-screen.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played a little bit, but I like it so far. I keep wanting it to be fast-paced rather than taking the time to figure out the best way to hit all the crystals and get all the collectables. I tried playing with the aim assist (which I wish moved a little faster) and the slow-mo off and damn was it hard. I could see people enjoying the challenge.

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Ok, played a good few hours last night into the early hours (random hospital trip). It certainly has Ori vibes to it, but more a puzzler over an adventure. The puzzles offer something of a challenge as you try to collect the crysals and collectables around each level. You do get upgrades as you go, which make things easier and allow more creativity in solving puzzles. Music-wise, worth listening with headphones to truely experience it's audio qualities.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your impressions DeathPeak and Jacknapes. Jack, are you playing with aim assist and slow mo also? Curious about your experience with that. Also wondering if you guys feel like it's solid or potentially excellent. Hope you're feeling better, Jacknapes.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Thanks for your impressions DeathPeak and Jacknapes. Jack, are you playing with aim assist and slow mo also? Curious about your experience with that. Also wondering if you guys feel like it's solid or potentially excellent. Hope you're feeling better, Jacknapes.

Used both at the start, but just use aim assist only when I'm struggling (was last night anyway). Slow Mo was good to get to grips with aiming, which is useful in the early part.

I'm feeling much better, thanks for asking.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Used both at the start, but just use aim assist only when I'm struggling (was last night anyway). Slow Mo was good to get to grips with aiming, which is useful in the early part.

I'm feeling much better, thanks for asking.
Glad to hear that. And thanks for the additional info. I'll be interested to hear if you recommend the game overall when you're a bit further in, and if it feels worth full price.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this yesterday, liking it a lot so far! Very nice combination of puzzle and platform elements, and collecting all the essences is very enjoyable. You get optional upgrades (that you can equip only one at a time) for your troubles, too.

It visually reminds me of Ori but in gameplay it is reminiscent of Celeste in which each chapter introduces a different mechanic. However the previous mechanics are all present and mixed together to form cool combinations.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Started playing this yesterday, liking it a lot so far! Very nice combination of puzzle and platform elements, and collecting all the essences is very enjoyable. You get optional upgrades (that you can equip only one at a time) for your troubles, too.

It visually reminds me of Ori but in gameplay it is reminiscent of Celeste in which each chapter introduces a different mechanic. However the previous mechanics are all present and mixed together to form cool combinations.

It is as challenging as Celeste though? Found that game far too frustrating and had to apply the assists to get me through loads of the game.
This game does look superb though.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It is as challenging as Celeste though? Found that game far too frustrating and had to apply the assists to get me through loads of the game.
This game does look superb though.
No no, it's not challenging like that. Usually the bigger challenge is to figure out the right order and combinations of moves to perform; then actually performing it is not so hard.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the levels have multiple solutions, so I'd be curious to see how other people do them.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks The Main Event for sharing the NL review, they really enjoyed it a ton. That's only one of two reviews out there so far, the other is an Italian site that gave it 7.5/10. And thank you Naner for sharing your impressions, I'll be interested to hear how you like it going forward.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
No problem! Glad to have helped.

I'm actually going to publish a review within the next couple of days. It'll be in Portuguese, but you should be able to translate it. I'll post it here when it's available.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
So...did this die on arrviral?

Too many Shadowdrops could be a problem. I'm sure this wouldn't be overlooked like this with proper marketing.