• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
List is fine, opinions and all that, but my personal favorite will most likely always be the original. I wish Nintendo would faithfully recreate it in 3D, it'd probably be my favorite game ever made.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
What's the point of listing Link's Crossbow training, it was nothing more than a small minigame using the Wii zapper.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
this revisionist history is fascinating.

Skyward Sword was universally praised, got a perfect score from Edge, and the gaf thread for GOTY 2011 had a ton of people claiming it was the greatest Zelda ever (among many other places, obviously).

You should probably pull up the old site's OT for that game and read through some of it if that's what you think. There was praise, sure, but it certainly wasn't a complete celebratory party. There was also a lot of pessimism and disinterest in the series due to straying so far from its roots. I'm also a member of the Zelda Universe Forums, and that place was absolutely miserable around the SS days. Different story with BotW.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I always liked Link's Awakening a lot more than ALTTP, in LA there is so much more to do in the overworld and the dungeons are at least as good as in ALTTP. I just don't see how someone might prefer ALTTP.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To me Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are Tier 1. I can never decide which of those games is better. Wind Waker gives me pure joy while Majora gives that bizarre horror-ish intrigue.

The next tier is Ocarina, Breath of the Wild and Link to the Past. All classic, top notch games that just didn't happen to pack as much of an emotional punch as tier 1.

Tier 3 is Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Minish Cap. Obviously good games, but also obviously a step down.

Then things get real sketchy in Tier 4 with the first 2 games and the DS games. I honestly don't even really think they're good games at all.

Unfortunately I haven't played Link's Awakening or Oracle.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
This list isn't too far off of my list. However, I would've put Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past lower. My top 10 would be:
10: Link's Awakening
9: Minish Cap
8: A Link Between Worlds
7: Majora's Mask
6: Skyward Sword
5: A Link to the Past
4: Wind Waker
3: Twilight Princess
2: Ocarina of Time
1: Breath of the Wild

It hurts me to place Slyward Sword at 6th, but I recogniZe that the ones ahead of it are all legitimately better games, especially Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. The top two are the greatest games ever created, and the top five are all worthy to sit in their company. Of course, it's all my opinion. I believe that all of these are incredible and deserving of so much praise. However, it's the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild that is, in my eyes, not only the greatest Zelda game ever, but perhaps even the greatest game of all time.

Apr 24, 2018
Surprised to see ALttP at number one - that's my all time favorite Zelda game and my fourth favorite game of all time (though it has been a long time since I've played it; I'll need to rectify that as I did with Super Mario World sometime soon). I personally felt the game became a bit forgotten ever since the release of Ocarina of Time, and especially now, with all of the accolades for Breath of the Wild. I admit having a personal bias of enjoying the 2d versions of the "classic" NES/SNES series far more than their 3d counterparts, in most instances (it's been that way for me for over 20 years when I was still a young kid), but they've almost always just been more fun for me, personally.

Drexion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this list. I've always thought that LttP was not just the best zelda game, but arguably the best game of all time.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Also how could one forget the theme/meme of pure chaos and frustration

This is one of the most memorable bosses of the series. Picking up other players and throwing them into lava instead of bombs was both frustrating and hilarious. It's a shame not many Zelda players got to experience this.

The small story of the game was also hilarious; you get a bit tired of villains like Ganon, this time you get some crazy fashion-related plot. The tailor/outfits, the final boss, the king screaming "OHOHOHOHOH", all that was enjoyable.
The game definitely had overall excellent music.

I feel like anyone who's putting Triforce Heroes at the bottom of their list by default simply didn't play it.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Link to the Past is a great game but I always find it so over rated. I sometimes hear people talk about how revolutionary it was, but if you are going by that metric Ocarina of Time should be a clear winner due to context sensitive buttons and lock on 3D combat. Those 2 things were game changers and are so integrated in modern games.

As a personal favorite, I would say either Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Breath of the Wild are the best.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
they decided to include the first Tingle game, which never released in North America and is in my opinion not a Zelda game at all but then decided to omit the japan-only sequel

weird criteria.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished the original Zelda last night. I think I'll skip Zelda II if Skyward Sword is better than it.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
I finished the original Zelda last night. I think I'll skip Zelda II if Skyward Sword is better than it.

Skyward Sword is one of the easiest in the series, Zelda II one of the hardest. While you're still fresh off the first game, you might want to play Zelda II (that NES-era difficulty, you know :p).

I actually haven't played Zelda II, but I'm pretty sure Skyward Sword is better. What other Zeldas have you enjoyed the most? SS is kinda difficult to recommend if you hate motion controls, tutorial-heavy opening, or handholding.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda II is really good depending on your enjoyment of the difficult action platformers from the NES era like Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden. It's easy to get lost but just google the Zelda II Nintendo Player's Guide and play it with that like most people probably did back then.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, weren't there two Tingle games? That list only has one of them.

I'd put BOTW in the lower teens, maybe the 20s, personally.

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
BotW was the first Zelda game I have played. Recently got a SNES classic and playing through link to the past. Its brilliant, and as a new player it holds up so well. Will work my way through some of the others off the list once I'm finished.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. Better music too.

Sassy Zelda needs to come back and be given bigger role, reason I pushed through Spirit TRack many flaws

BotW was the first Zelda game I have played. Recently got a SNES classic and playing through link to the past. Its brilliant, and as a new player it holds up so well. Will work my way through some of the others off the list once I'm finished.

Oh my, an Ocarina of Time virgin, if you can get past the 15fps you are in for a treat

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
05. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
04. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
03. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
02. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
01. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
it's a highly commendable top five but the order is out of whack.

I'll fix it for them.

5. Breath of the Wild
4. Majora's Mask
3. A Link To The Past
2. Wind Waker
1. Ocarina of Time

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly never understand why people think LTTP is better than ALBW. Must just be nostalgia.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
i have a feeling that a link between worlds was way overrated. i literally remember nothing about the game expect the flat thing and the fact that i was underwhelmed by it.
It was a flattering imitation. The game was super duper well built but the content itself left something to be desired as sitting amongst the most legendary game experiences the best games in the series offer. Most of it were thematic rehashes but with inferior arrangements. Dungeons were way too short. The story was also cute but not something you got invested in. It was a great Zelda gameplay but only a decent game and yeah it was fairly unforgettable. I beat it 100% in just 19 hours. It was also bogged down by its experimentation; the rental system doesn't stand the test of time as it eventually becomes about maxing your wallet to 9999 (because rupees are everywhere) and just buy every weapon and then the rest of the game's exploration yields zero payoff because you barely encountet any mystery prior to figuring out which item solves it.

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder how I'd feel about Link to the past if I played it originally as a child on the Super Nintendo. As is, I'd put it a bit lower. I'd say I'd prefer Botw, OOT, MM, Link's awakening, and Link Between Worlds more.

Breath of the wild and Ocarina are just so good. Also I have a real urge to play LBW Again.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Does my heart good to see Majora's Mask up there so high. Should be number one imo but hey I understand it's divisive and maybe not the best embodiment of capital C Classic Zelda.

A Link To The Past should be maybe number three though imo. Behind Majora and BoTW.

Link's Awakening is far too low. Same with the Oracle games.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Link to the Past has a far memorable soundtrack for me than Ocarina.

Not that I want to devolve into shitty "u were a kid when" stuff, but much like with Final Fantasy 7, I wonder how many fans of OoT had not played A Link to the Past and only experienced it as an older retro visit.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Links Awakening, really needs to be remade. Man...imagine the Wind Fish, the bosses and chain chomps in 3D.

What an adventure...

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand people preferring Phantom Hourglass to Spirit Tracks. The latter is better in pretty much every way.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand people preferring Phantom Hourglass to Spirit Tracks. The latter is better in pretty much every way.
There are some good mechanical changes and the repeated dungeon is definitely better, but something about ST's structure and the worse traversal made it probably my least favorite non-CDI Zelda.

Enzo88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
It does not exactly match mine, but it`s a pretty good list.

I would put Botw number 1 and Ocarina ahead of Majora.

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are some good mechanical changes and the repeated dungeon is definitely better, but something about ST's structure and the worse traversal made it probably my least favorite non-CDI Zelda.

I remember thinking the final boss(es)/ending in Spirit Tracks were pretty much on par with console Zelda games, in terms of scale and epicness. I just found it a more enjoyable game overall, but yeah the train traversal wasn't particularly great.

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are ever able to get 3-player local game of Triforce Heroes going everyone is guaranteed to have a great time. I really don't understand the hate for that game, but then again I've never played it any other way.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This person appreciates the brilliance of Majora's Mask, I approve.

Was definitely my favorite Zelda game until BOTW came along. LTTP is great as well of course.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Good list. Wouldn't put Crossbow Training above Triforce Heroes tho, c'mon

And lmfao at Phantom Hourglass over Spirit Tracks. Are you fucking joshin me

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
A Link to the Past is the only Zelda game I've finished. I was blown away by it in 1992.

Just got a Switch this week, so Breath of the Wild is likely to be the second one I finish.

Good to know I haven't really missed anything.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good list overall. I would change some positions in the top 10 but otherwise I think that those games in there are also mine

Oct 26, 2017
A Link to the Past is the only Zelda game I've finished. I was blown away by it in 1992.

Just got a Switch this week, so Breath of the Wild is likely to be the second one I finish.

Oh no, the others are also great. Even the lesser titles on console are of quality

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You have! The others are great games too- LttP and BotW are just better :)

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
BotW or OoT is an impossible choice. I guess it comes down to what Zelda means to the individual—overall exploration & discovery versus labyrinths & puzzle solving.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Outside the NES games I've always thought Link to the Past aged the worst honestly.

There's a reason all the improvements that Link's Awakening introduced became standard.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that my top 10 would be like that:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Wind Waker
3. Oracle of Ages
4. A Link to the Past
5. Link's Awakening
6. A Link between Worlds
7. Ocarina of Time
8. Majoras Mask
9. Minish Cap
10. Twilight Princess

How would ya'll feel if Nintendo pulled another Oracle of Season/Ages and let Capcom develop another Zelda game?

The main guy behind those Capcom games actually moved to Nintendo after directing the Minish Cap. He was director of Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidemaro_Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi was also the director of the Oracle series and Four Swords when he was at Capcom. He did many things for the franchise.

It's time for Nintendo to remake Zelda 2. People are used to them trying crazy things at this point.

Considering that last year we got Samus Returns and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia which are the weird one on their series, why not. lol