nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Xbox Industrial Designers Monique Chatterjee and Carl Ledbetter break down the story behind every Xbox One controller. Learn the story behind your favorite controller - from the traditional family, to game-inspired pieces and never-before-seen prototypes – and dive deep into the thought process that goes into making Xbox's iconic hardware and accessories.
Every Xbox One Controller Ever Made features: • Family Controllers • Bundle Series • Color Series • Design Lab • Forces Series • Shadow Series • Tech Series • Sport Series • Phantom Series • Game Inspired Series • Elite Series • Bonus

Fun video showing off all the revisions and editing, including the developer razzle controller.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Short of a complete overhaul like VR controls, the current gen are the "final form" of controllers. You can't possibly improve on them in a strictly ergonomic sense, either the Xbone or the DS4.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Loved my Elite but honestly, I've gone through FOUR of them (between my brother and I) and they all had the same stupid problem of the rubber grip bits falling away after a year.

It's pathetic for something so expensive.

MS replaced them one time but we never bothered when it happened again, the amount of hassle it was dealing with the store and MS and each place saying it was the other's responsibility to deal with it giving us the run-around over and over just soured me on the whole thing. :|

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
And the best one was Lunar White. Mine has a serious case of stick drift now: I wish they'd rerelease it, that thing was perfect.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing. It's amazing that there's a lot of thought put into each of these controllers. Also, didn't know about the "Hello from Seattle" message in the battery compartment, nice touch.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Got no interest whatsoever in getting a Xbox One but i got and use this controller religiously on PC and it's glorious. Great video.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The XB1 controller, following its first revision in mid-2015, quickly became my favorite gamepad. The tall sticks with grippy texture, excellent tactile feedback on the d-pad, and the clicky bumpers are all super awesome. I also love how the triggers feel so natural to grip.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The best one is the one I designed with Xbox Design Lab but obviously isn't in this video :)

Great thing about Xbox Design Lab is you can add integrated rubber grips and it feels so much better to hold vs the standard textured plastic variant.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
You could always lab another. 👍
Sadly you can't match it on design lab, I miss my Lunar White controller. The gold/white menu buttons aren't available, the shell doesn't have the four coloured dots around the face buttons, you can't have black top, bottom and back panels and from what I've seen the gold D-Pad/trigger options aren't the same shade of gold.

I would have liked to make a transparent purple one but that shell has remained exclusive to the Sea of Thieves controller, so I went with Phantom White instead, problem is the grey rubber sticks are already starting to get discoloured.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great controller. My d-pad has gotten wonky over the years though. Misses inputs. Thinking of giving that new 8bitdo one a try instead of another XBO.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Really? How would you improve them?
For the XB1 controller I think there's still a prominent issue with the bumpers. Holding the controller the triggers and handles feel spectacularly flush with the hands, but the bumpers are kinda by comparison. It was especially awkward with launch controllers, as the bumpers were particularly stiff (though I believe they've partially remedied this by making it easier to press). I also think there's general improvements they could make to weight and heft of the controller - particularly the triggers (while I think the XB1 triggers are better to hold, the DS4's are better to press). Also while I believe they've introduced it on some models, the textured grip on the elite should be standard.

For the DS5 I think they'd really benefit from co-opting the XB1's curved triggers. Obviously this would probably introduce a number of additional changes, but I earnestly believe the curved triggers are the biggest ergonomic improvement of this generation. DS5 grip should also be textured.

Oct 28, 2017
What a bizarre video to release. 26 minutes long too lol. It really is a great controller, but i hope them going down memory lane and revisiting every X1 controller means they have a new one for Scarlet. They seem passionate about controllers so i'm hopping for something radically new.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They've been great with designs honestly. I've bought too many. Day One edition, standard OG black, Titanfall controller, Elite controller, Sea of Thieves controller, PUBG controller (the best non-Elite one!).

Once when I sent my OG black back for repair they sent me two back. I've ended up with like seven controllers!

Feb 10, 2018
Xbox One controllers plus these, have been the best combo.

I use the amazon basics charger and normal eneloops and I get about a day and a half full use per 2 batteries.
It's a very good solution, far better then play and charge kit, I sold my play and charge kit to fund the eneloops + charger, on of the best decisions I made.
I hope next gen they give the option for AAs and usbc fast charging.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Really? How would you improve them?
Soft touch material on the front
Textured grips on the backs
Both can improve on bumpers and triggers tactile feedback
Rear buttons/triggers/paddles/something for increased versatility
Localized rumble
Better battery life
Built in on console app for software modifications

You can always improve controllers, hell the new Xbox Elite V2 is testament to that.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Soft touch material on the front
Textured grips on the backs
Both can improve on bumpers and triggers tactile feedback
Rear buttons/triggers/paddles/something for increased versatility
Localized rumble
Better battery life
Built in on console app for software modifications

You can always improve controllers, hell the new Xbox Elite V2 is testament to that.

100% agreed. The absolute bar minimum for Scarlett has to be better bumpers and a longer battery life.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I have far more X1 controllers than I need simply based on their cool designs this gen. I sure hope the next gen I can use them otherwise I might never actually get to play with most of them.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Both consoles had pretty great controllers this. The dualshock was a bit flimsy but it's design is way ahead of the dualshock 3. The X1 controller just felt awesome. I have a nice gears elite one that I love.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
The current Xbone pad is quite good allrounder pad (love it for Rocket League, Racing games and For Honor) but man the dpad really sucks for fighting games like Tekken and even SF. Especially in games like Tekken 7 where movement is extremely important (e.g. wavedashing/korean backdashing) is quite tedious with it over the time. The DS3 and DS4 are a much better choice for games that require precise dpad commands. Never seen people using a Xbone pad from any notable streamer/player on pc even though most people nowdays have one.

Also in my opinion it's kinda bad that they initially released a very flawed Xbone pad despite having one of the best pad designs in the previous gen. Kinda insane that they didn't immidiatley pushed the wireless stick for pc and the drivers out. The biggest flaw was the LB and RB button, how did they missed out on fixing it before releasing?In comparison regular 360 pad is even used by several competetive fighting game players like Smug who is and was able to do some insane precise inputs with it in USF IV with Dudley (and no one was coming close to play the character like him). The changable Dpad 360 pad is one of the best pad designs ever but the dpad is quite fragile and will wear out and break so you better buy some spare parts (happened to me and all of my 3 friends over a few years even though many of them don't play too much dpad games). If I could find a metal changable dpad replacement that would be really something.

Last edited:

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I love my xbox controllers, the paddles with the Elite mean I can never go back. Tried the Elite 2 last week with sticks on full stiffness, I NEED IT!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
great video. love their passion, it definitely filters down to usability because they really are best damn controller. even those original s controllers still hold up to this day. really well-built pieces of tech

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The base that those controllers sit on, do they come with new controllers? I have a white one, I'm kinda wanting another and I would die for the half transparent half white phantom one.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Titanfall controller was the GOAT color scheme- I had to import one from Japan and it lasted me until the Elite came out.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Okay this is so fucking cool. Also Xbox controllers are amazing and they've had some 🔥 designs this generation.