Oct 26, 2017
-Bane does a bunch of illegal trades under Bruce Wayne's name which causes Bruce Wayne to lose all of his money even though the trades were so obviously illegal that they were doing a terror attack in broad daylight to do the trades.

-Gordon sends 100k+ cops into the sewers, they never try leaving through a manhole but survive pretty well in the sewers for 6 months.

-The prison is only escapable by having a good horizontal leap which apparently only a 9 year old had because she was the only person in the prison who feared death.

-Batman's back is healed by it getting punched.

-All of the Clean Slate stuff.

-Robin finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman because Bruce Wayne has angry orphan eyes.

-Batman learns a massive amount of information in a dream.

-No one recognizes Bruce Wayne after his reported death even though he looks the same as he looked in The Dark Knight.

At no point in this movie does anything really make any sense and everyone has pointed it at this point. The question is, how much do you care?

Me personally? I still like the movie, but I care a decent bit about the plot holes. A lot of scenes (especially the angry orphan eyes scene) are so cringeworthy in large part because of how little sense they make. What is Era's opinion on how much the plot holes detract from the movie?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't consider those plots holes. They are just fucking stupid plot points. And yes, I mind.

I have never been as hyped for a movie as I was Rises. I absolutely love Begins and Knight. My father, sister, brother, and some friends went to see the trilogy showing opening night... and man did I leave disappointed. It has grown on me over time, but it is just filled with stupid ideas.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly lessens the movie in my eyes, even if it is still enjoyable and has some great sequences/moments.

All those contrivances and just the weaker story/characterisation across the board mean that it's the worst of the trilogy by a fair margin.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was flabbergasted how bad that movie was. Never bothered again after seeing it day 1. The memes are fuego though.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
yeah it was definitely far worse then the Dark Knight and that movie had more then fair share of stupid writing (cell phone bomb anyone?) but i remember watching the movie in theaters and literally said WTF outloud when the cops were freed from their 6 month incarceration in the sewers.

The best thing to come out of that movie was Bane rapping freestyle

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
-Bane does a bunch of illegal trades under Bruce Wayne's name which causes Bruce Wayne to lose all of his money even though the trades were so obviously illegal that they were doing a terror attack in broad daylight to do the trades.

Iirc, they do address this one. Believe Morgan Freeman says something like for right now you're broke but well prove fraud. Not great but I dont think its necessarily a hole either then.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they take you out of it in the moment, plot holes are harmless and don't make a story worse, in my opinion.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it leaned hard into Nolan's bad side, like the infamous Interstellar "love" line. Nolan wanted certain things to happen, and he didn't care what contrivances were needed to make those things happen.

I generally just watch Begins and TDK. I think they stand up well as a duology, and so I'm fine with never watching Rises again.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I walked out entirely disappointed, mainly due to the plot. It's really tiring honestly. Note how batman travels the heroes journey twice in this movie, never quite reaching an end goal almost. He has to build his way back to even normal fighting skills the first half of the movie and then...they cripple him and send him to a prison so you get to watch him BECOME batman, AGAIN, for the second time in the movie. Such a huge waste of literal time as far as runtime went.

Another favorite scene is when Robin fires a gun, looks at it after like hes never seen one before, then throws it like it was poisonous because they really had to hammer home how Robin doesnt use guns, despite being a police officer up until that point. Just...some really heavy handed directing in this movie.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't consider those plots holes. They are just fucking stupid plot points. And yes, I mind.

I have never been as hyped for a movie as I was Rises. I absolutely love Begins and Knight. My father, sister, brother, and some friends went to see the trilogy showing opening night... and man did I leave disappointed. It has grown on me over time, but it is just filled with stupid ideas.
I had the same exact feeling. I was a little put off after I saw the special showing of the opening in IMAX beforehand, with the original Bane voice that was completely unintelligible. And the dumb plane stuff, which just didn't seem like it should be in a Batman movie.
But I wasn't prepared for just how dumb the actual movie would be.
And no, OP those aren't "plot holes." They're just stupid things.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
something I never see mentioned -- the fake court with the scarecrow sentences gordon and crew to die. The way they're to die is that they are made to walk across thin ice, the idea being that as they walk, they'll break the ice, which will make them fall into freezing water and drown. The beginning of the scene is about them being forced to walk on the ice, and how they're stepping tenderly to not crack it up... then batman shows up and beats up all the bad guys on the ice, and suddenly everyone is walking around the ice like it's no danger, even lighting a torch over the thin ice with no fear that it'd melt and crack. They all stand on the ice while looking at the flaming monument above. The ice being thin is never mentioned again.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you're not actively thinking about it, logical inconsistencies will bother you unconsciously. That's my problem with Nolan's writing in general.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The movie has its problems, but I still really enjoy it to this day.

I do wonder how much the movie changed after Ledger's death. Ive read that they had planned on using him in Rises, so I am curious how far into the scripting phase they had gotten before he passed away.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't tell you what Bane's plan was. (Besides getting caught at the beginning of the movie). Compare that to Joker in TDK who has very understandable motivation.

Still, I liked it a lot. Better than a typical blockbuster.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
something I never see mentioned -- the fake court with the scarecrow sentences gordon and crew to die. The way they're to die is that they are made to walk across thin ice, the idea being that as they walk, they'll break the ice, which will make them fall into freezing water and drown. The beginning of the scene is about them being forced to walk on the ice, and how they're stepping tenderly to not crack it up... then batman shows up and beats up all the bad guys on the ice, and suddenly everyone is walking around the ice like it's no danger, even lighting a torch over the thin ice with no fear that it'd melt and crack. They all stand on the ice while looking at the flaming monument above. The ice being thin is never mentioned again.
Batman put the flares down on the parts that were safer to walk on.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I only actively dislike stuff like when it's uncool or lame. If it makes no sense but is cool, then I'm ok with it

Stuff like Blake somehow being the only person to figure out Bruce Wayne is Batman would be cool ... if the reason how wasn't so lame.

THhe plot holes with the prison pit don't keep that sequence from being compelling to me though. Getting his back punched into place is fucking metal, and the chanting, music, and "what does it mean?" "Rise, bitch." make it hype.

And so forth.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
WAIT, the police were in the sewers for 6 months?????? But yea, this movie is a dumpster fire.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to let some things go in GOOD movies, aka how Joker is able to do anything really in The Dark Knight. In not so good ones these flaws stand out way too much at hurt the flawed project even more.

The Dark Knight relied on Joker outsmarting everyone and always staying ahead. Rises relies on a lot of stupid fucking choices and conviences to work. Things that seem like a bad idea the moment they're said out like. Like everything that comes out if Matthew Modine's mouth.

Glad we break down everything wrong with this movie because the old "well y'all are just being hyperbolic because it wasn't as good as the last movie" defense was getting tired.

I have to no idea why people rag on TDKR for plot holes when you could do the same for like every other blockbuster ever. It's like a fun hate train or something.

Anyway, I like it a lot.
How bout you read the thread where people explain their issues.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just now vividly remembered Bane saying "Impossible" after seeing the burning bar symbol despite forgetting the moment, and it made me smile.

yeah, and it's coupled with a pretty cool audio crescendo. I'm a sucker for moments like that, and it makes me forgive the scene before even if I recognize how silly it is.

That's one thing I actually really liked throughout the entire Nolan series -- the importance of symbolism and theatrics and the batman Mythos as well. I mean, it's sort of the central theme of his entire series, visible messages controlling the narrative. I enjoyed moments like that, where there would have been, in real life, an insane amount of work put into that one tiny moment of theatrics, yet the story still makes it seem like it was somehow important. Actually, similar to that scene, I liked the scene where they showed Robin drawing batsignals on the walls in chalk as a form of psychological warfare.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's just so many moving pieces that the movie becomes a structural mess. So few things end up carrying the weight they need to because there's this other thing they have to juggle, or this other exposition dump.

Honestly, you could have split this movie into two, right after Bane says "Gotham... will survive," expanded on some characters and plotlines, and you would be so much better for it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
- I think I recall Lucius(?) talking about how fraud will be provable with time. I think access to Bruce Wayne's funds was just frozen.

- The police thing is dumb.

- I think Batman had a dislocated/slipped vertebrae, which maybe could be realigned with a blunt force... ?

- The clean slate is stupid.

- The Blake stuff was stupid.

- Batman puts the clues together in his delirious state, and is incorrect in his deductions.

- I'm not sure when people are supposed to recognise Bruce Wayne.

In any case these aren't really plot holes, just writing you find to be bad.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I'm a wrestling fan, my suspension of disbelief is pretty damn wide (though WWE has tested even those limits a bunch over the years, most recently with Jinder Mahal being in wrestling trunks to go after R-Truth's 24/7 title on a golf course).
The jump to make it out of the prison being mental rather than strictly physical is fine. The big burning bat symbol is fine because of Rule of Cool. Like anything, if you're enjoying it, the niggles don't bother you. If you're not enjoying it those same niggles become the worst problems in the world and kill the movie. I enjoyed it, so I was fine with the contrivances.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Like a lot of Nolan's films, the technical craft and operatic heft are so strong it's quite easy to overlook a lot of the flaws. Nolan's quite skilled at doing this even so the films are riveting in the cinema but are more easily picked apart at home.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I'm a wrestling fan, my suspension of disbelief is pretty damn wide (though WWE has tested even those limits a bunch over the years, most recently with Jinder Mahal being in wrestling trunks to go after R-Truth's 24/7 title on a golf course).
The jump to make it out of the prison being mental rather than strictly physical is fine. The big burning bat symbol is fine because of Rule of Cool. Like anything, if you're enjoying it, the niggles don't bother you. If you're not enjoying it those same niggles become the worst problems in the world and kill the movie. I enjoyed it, so I was fine with the contrivances.
Pretty much this for me, I've seen worst shit in comics.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have to no idea why people rag on TDKR for plot holes when you could do the same for like every other blockbuster ever. It's like a fun hate train or something.

Anyway, I like it a lot.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Right here. The Bat symbol thing etc. is silly the second your brain even remotely acknowledges it, but part of Batman is the silly showy-ness of it all. That's just the fun of superheroes.

There are like... actual thematic and structural problems with the movie that are so much more egregious.

I mean don't get me wrong, there are so many bits in this movie that I think are genuinely good, but it is just very messy.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
most of them didn't bother me, but sending basically all the cops down a hole into the sewers was such a stupid, over-the-top nonsensical thing to do that it immediately broke my suspension of disbelief for the rest of the movie

I immediately just thought, "oh so this doesn't have to make any sense, the plot just needs to go to a specific place and to hell with anything else. okay."

Mar 30, 2019

Anyway, I like it a lot.

You see, it's the slow criticism... the critique that takes its time, the disapproval that waits years without forgetting, then slips quietly between the memes... that's the condemnation that cuts deepest.