• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope not.

Nothing has been shown to overcome those first impressions...

I like it more than many of the last games I played that were for featured IPs (Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul, One Piece: Burning Blood, and JoJo: Eyes of Heaven).

Those had better art styles and presentation, but I'm finding this more fun to actually play. Outside of the memes and this thread, reception appears understandably "mixed" rather than completely negative. It's a worse looking Xenoverse but featuring other characters people like. The online hub has been fairly busy today and the game's probably going to be fine regardless of reviews.

The excessive loading screens are my biggest complaint.

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is the anime/fighter equivalent of Bomberman: Act Zero. That video in OP... It looks like an amateur vid made with models pulled from the 90s.

May 5, 2018
I paused at the Goku video and Goku literally looks like somebody dressing up as him as if he was a sports mascot. It doesn't look good.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Weird...

I'm playing the game right now and it seems.... Good? Although I haven't seen any other of those cutscenes yet, there is quite a bit of story. More story interaction than xenoverse so for. The game looks nice in motion as well. I thought the crazy post effects would drive me insane.

The image quality is nice as well. Very crisp and clean. The only characters that look weird to me are dbz ones. But it is their eye shape and hair that do the translate well for obvious reasons.

One thing to note is that the actual fighting is the best I've seen in any Jump game. You have a lot of different options to approach and it feels like they looked at vanishing as a defensive option and made it extremely limited (unlike other games in this genre ex: Naruto storm, xenoverse, etc). So you're forced to use Dodge or blocks more. Also you have one chance to break out of a combo while being hit, but it uses your entire meter.

I'm still early but i... Uh... I'm surprised. Also there are vehicles apparently. Motorcycles, FROGS, and hovering boats. ...

Ahem, you will need them since there doesn't seem to be a way to teleport in the open areas.

Just my impressions, but the negative ball of energy is already rolling so no one will probably read this.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird...

I'm playing the game right now and it seems.... Good? Although I haven't seen any other of those cutscenes yet, there is quite a bit of story. More story interaction than xenoverse so for. The game looks nice in motion as well. I thought the crazy post effects would drive me insane.

The image quality is nice as well. Very crisp and clean. The only characters that look weird to me are dbz ones. But it is their eye shape and hair that do the translate well for obvious reasons.

One thing to note is that the actual fighting is the best I've seen in any Jump game. You have a lot of different options to approach and it feels like they looked at vanishing as a defensive option and made it extremely limited (unlike other games in this genre ex: Naruto storm, xenoverse, etc). So you're forced to use Dodge or blocks more. Also you have one chance to break out of a combo while being hit, but it uses your entire meter.

I'm still early but i... Uh... I'm surprised. Also there are vehicles apparently. Motorcycles, FROGS, and hovering boats. ...

Ahem, you will need them since there doesn't seem to be a way to teleport in the open areas.

Just my impressions, but the negative ball of energy is already rolling so no one will probably read this.

I appreciate you being brave enough to share. There are definitely some glaring issues with the game, but I like how it plays better than the Xenoverses, and I could barely stand playing a couple of hours of J-Stars. I also agree that basically all of the DBZ characters look odd, but I don't really have a problem with the others I care/know about.

Ryo for example, and he hasn't been in a game for nearly 30 years!

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes.
The story starts off with them invading your world with "Venoms" (basically dark frieza armor goons). You get hurt, trunks "fixes you up" and that starts the character creator.
In+class+while+im+bored+i+look+back+on+the+_aaa84b5f2a84d211a2b824f5cba67eb6.gif

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
i understand the criticisms against jump force, but you have to give some credit to bamco, spike chunsoft, and the rest

it not only nails the look of a "x character in UE4" fan project, it seems to have the same development cycle of such a project as well. you have to appreciate the attention to detail

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So anyone know when reviews drop? Metacritic said days ago it was on the 12th at 9pm PST but that time has passed and nothing is up.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
That Light cutscene legit looks like a Garry's Mod vid from 10 years ago animation-wise. Does Ryuk not have a voice actor?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the first properly marketed Jump crossover fighter in the West? That would explain why some people are still willing to give this game a chance.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I know Japan has different standards for VA but would they seriously rather do this instead of hiring someone cheaper?
Unless a work gets a reboot, Japanese VAs are hardcoded to their roles. They ain't gonna replaced them, and at times will become so ingrained to their voiced character that they will even kill of the character when the voice actor dies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless a work gets a reboot, Japanese VAs are hardcoded to their roles. They ain't gonna replaced them, and at times will become so ingrained to their voiced character that they will even kill of the character when the voice actor dies.
I knew about the later part for sure.

But if you're so cheep that you're not gonna hire the actor and can't or won't get a replacement then why include the character in the first place? Light isn't even playable!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only cool thing about this game is that there is serious battle damage.

Jump Ultimate Stars is still the only Jump crossover worth playing.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funnier if you look at Luffy in the background, who is animating normally.

What's weird is I just reached this scene, fully expecting it to look like that, but it wasn't nearly as bad. He didn't suddenly slide that fast and actually leaned into a running animation, but the view is so terrible at times that it's still poor presentation.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Like some others I have not been following this game. The combat looked fun enough but wow, that guy clearly talking and being talked to in the cut scene not even having a voice. Even worse the guy clearly has full sentences of dialog presented as just silence.

This is beyond a "hehehe Namco Bandai." They seem to be fumbling with their anime licenses lately not including FighterZ

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
After watching that footage I honestly can't believe that this game will release in a week. Also, that amount of motion blur is something that instantly reminded me of some of the shitty "early access" games that one can find in Steam

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Sanji clip.

Just... HOW. HOW DID THAT GET APPROVED.

Bloody hell, this is inexcusable for what's supposed to look like a AAA game. This game is fucking trash.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I can live with poor style in a game but the production side of this is so bad, characters barely animate or have expressions and it's just the mouth moving, they're like talking action figures.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
So, it looks like currently the only things you can affect are stuff like models with the uproject file. There's no access to the actual plugins used to create certain things, alongside the project being compiled like usual so you can't just reverse that instantly.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like how Jump Force battles look!

Everything else though...

The gameplay itself isn't bad. It's one of the better arena fighters, and yes when the camera angles aren't obscuring what's happening it's not bad looking in-battle.

Been getting random crashes since yesterday though; the game overall is indeed a mess that should've been delayed. I'm starting to wonder if they picked this date on purpose (it's a very crowded weekend incoming) so all the critical attention goes towards the other games about to release lol

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay itself isn't bad. It's one of the better arena fighters, and yes when the camera angles aren't obscuring what's happening it's not bad looking in-battle.

Been getting random crashes since yesterday though; the game overall is indeed a mess that should've been delayed. I'm starting to wonder if they picked this date on purpose (it's a very crowded weekend incoming) so all the critical attention goes towards the other games about to release lol
Yeah, I like how it looks actually, except Kaguya's animation which sometimes makes it look like a puppet on strings.