• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we could actually talk to people , walk outside , enjoy nature, movies weren't spoiled, you would discover tv shows by yourself, had a lot less fat on our bodies.

And you could absolutely talk to people in the 90s online! Dating websites existed back then. It wasn't a commercial hegemony back then that aggregated the entire world. But you could still chat and stuff. It just wasn't jammed down your throat.

It's just things are packaged to sell to a much much broader base of consumer.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no denying though that if 9/11 had not happened then the natural progress of society from 90s to now would make people less nostalgic about the 80s and 90s

m o n s t e r

Oct 25, 2017
under your bed
I think that because people were younger then, it's a misconception that things were better. Things probably seem all golden because you perceived things that way. Our perception of life has likely changed a lot since then and looking back tends to skew things.

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we could actually talk to people , walk outside , enjoy nature, movies weren't spoiled, you would discover tv shows by yourself, had a lot less fat on our bodies.

If you're not doing these things that's kind of on you. If you're mad other people aren't doing these things that's not really your business.

Also talking with people more is a myth. People have been complaining about society being in decline and people not being social since the beginning of time. They just don't want to face facts that people will do anything to avoid each other because people kind of suck.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Games - nah
Music - maybe
Film - nah
Internet - hell no
Literature - probably
News/Journalism - yup
POTUS - fuck yes
Fashion - nope, not even close

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
WWF for sure. Whether you think it was actually good or holds up is subjective but it was very entertaining/must watch tv compared to now.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"BUT! Everybody wears these!"

JNCOcropped.jpg

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think that the economy and politics were in a better shape, but in regards to general things that I care about like Movies/Music/Games I don't think we've ever had a better time for that than we do currently.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
lets see I was younger and didn't have to worry about always working so I could have a place to live. So its automatically better.

Cartoons/TV = better
Video games= Better
Internet = Not better but good enough for me to get to gamefaqs
Life in genreal = way better

Yea let me warp back to my 90's self and merge with him please.

Bobinator

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for people who say the 90s weren't better: Would you say the 80s were better, and if so, why? Because I really, really don't see it, the 80s seemed... kind of generally awful. I mean, I wasn't alive during them, so maybe I shouldn't talk so. I just don't get how you'd prefer that decade over another, but that's just what I think.

I dunno, though, I thought the 90s were pretty great, and I'm not afraid to say it. Sonic, Street Fighter, Doom, some amazing cartoons... the only real downside was the music, which even I'd say was a pretty huge step downwards.

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
Most people here, including me, were kids in the decade, so we ignored social issues and could not what was genuinely worse in comparison to previous decades. People in the 2010s ha've nostalgia for the 90s, people in the 90s had nostalgia for the 60s, in the 60s there was nostalgia for the 40s etc..

Hentai

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

Kids were actually outside being social and instead of being stuck at home staring at screens all day.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
I feel lucky to have grown up in the 90s but I know a significant part of that is just me looking back through the rose tinted glasses of youth and nostalgia. The 90s did have some bomb ass cartoon shows though. Movies and music too. On top of that, it had SNICK.

SNICK

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone from Generation Z I actually feel like I missed out on the greatness of the 90s, everything is not very adventure-like now because of the world's information ready at your fingertips but its a really good thing as well. Going out is becoming a thing of fatigue as people can just access everything they want through reliable PCs we have today. I imagine that the 90s (especially 80s) must have been a glorious era for humans.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 70's through the 90's was filled with goodness, about mid 2000's things got a bit meh...but things are better again at least entertainment wise.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been really feeling themselves when it comes to games making in the past few years, so I can confidently say that games are better now than they were in the 90s. =p

The 90s was fun... I had no care in the world, making my way through school and trying to make friends, playing video games and going to vacations with my family and listening to horrible music... it was great. I was ignorant of what was happening around me though, these days, not so much. But as people have said earlier, stuff like BLM and anthem protests and things of that nature probably wouldn't be around back then. And LGBT allowing to be married now would definitely have not happened back then. I was a kid then, but imagine those guys going through the 90s... probably not as fun, I imagine.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think most people look back on a certain decade with fondness. For me it was the 90's too. I mean it will always be that for me, even in 10 years time I won't look back at the 10's and 00's with the same kind of fondness. I mean I would of been between 4 and 14 during that period and when your those ages your learning lots but probably not realising at the time, only when you look back you realise how wonderful it was.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you were a child in school during that time, your memories are probably of having an easy time, getting home to video games and snacks.

Seriously, look up fashion, tv-shows, social causes, tools we have today, and you'll be thinking "the 90s fucking sucked".

Except for some games, most of the good things about the 90s were basically counter culture, about how pointless everything is.

Nirvana, Pulp Fiction, etc etc.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Park
The Crow
Pulp Fiction
The Iron Giant
Alice in Chains
Nine Inch Nails
Marilyn Manson
Korn
Twin Peaks
Warcraft
Starcraft
Going from Super Nintendo to PlayStation in just a few years
The mind boggling leaps in technology

No social media

The 90s rocked.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the 90's, things seemed simpler back then, also Sega still made consoles, what I wouldn't give for just one more Sega console.

You were younger. Of course things were more simpler. As far as we look at pretty much every statistics regarding quality of life and equality between sexes and sexual minorities we have taken huge steps since 90s.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
I often think that, but was it really better? I guess it's because I didn't have any responsibilities back then that makes you think life was easier...

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 80's is where is at. A decade that is yet to be topped.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Downloading pictures on dial-up was hell. TV-wise, you were stuck with network garbage (except for maybe My So-Called Life), paying a lot for HBO/Showtime, or not watching TV. Obscure movies were much harder to find, if you could get to them at all. Also mentioned here, brazen homophobia in work, school and home.

No Twitter and Facebook was a plus.
Music was excellent.
SNES games were a bright spot in an otherwise bleak afternoon.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Having grown up in the 90s, I often wonder what it'd be like to grow up nowadays and how different life is with smartphones and how integrated the internet is in our lives.

Like, do kids know the dewey decimal system? Do they just all their research online?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mid to late 90s produced a lot of entertainment I still love today. Hey Arnold, SpongeBob, Stargate SG-1, Star Trek Voyager, etc.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say, since I was just a kid in the 90s. Seems like most things are better now. I didn't get a chance to really communicate with people before the internet. I think I would enjoy going to a time when you sent letters instead of emails though. Life obviously moved a lot slower. Seemed like everything was easier too like finding the job you wanted and such, speaking to older colleagues who started their careers in the 90s.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 0 memories of the 90s so I can't really answer your question.

But 3 years from now, 2000s nostalgia is really gonna take off. Anybody excited for that?

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I loved the 90s, but I always have to overwhelmingly disagree with statements like these. I love the current era the best. Music, art and games are more accessible and varied right now than they've ever been. It's great seeing people get involved in creative environments that used to have a much higher barrier of entry. It's great that a lot of the information people need to get started out creatively are now available online for free. When I was growing up I didn't have that chance or insight and it really shows now.

Status
Not open for further replies.