Redzap

May 16, 2018
Ok only had one rage quitter after they couldn't play Mia last night, so it wasn't too bad. Played about 8 games since the update, I like the more distant objectives and some of the other balance changes they made. The new demon trapped one of our guys with a cauldron last night, was pretty devious.
Had one really annoying player trying to get some trophy where you get everyone in the car, just was driving around at the start of the match demanding everyone get in the car with him. He attracted the demon and we got rolled. New demon is fun and distinct from the others, I look forward to what Ruby will be like as well.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
New demon seems crazy good, not sure on her yet. The constant being able to make non stop ranged attacks thing is really annoying. Her units feel kind of weak at least, but the Witch is crazy good and the cauldron is shenanigans

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Got this as a gift and it seems like I'm coming into it at a time when the player base has been re-energized which is great, but finding it really hard to wrap my head around everything happening. Are there any good starting guides the folks here would recommend? The few matches I've played have either almost immediately ended with the demon player just steamrolling us before we find a single page, or been me just racing to keep up as the survivor team apparently knew where to look for everything so we won but I had like zero participation except for occasionally killing things slowly.

What's a good class? I was running support since that usually is always beneficial but every character seems to have different abilities so it's not so clear what is actually useful.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Got this as a gift and it seems like I'm coming into it at a time when the player base has been re-energized which is great, but finding it really hard to wrap my head around everything happening. Are there any good starting guides the folks here would recommend? The few matches I've played have either almost immediately ended with the demon player just steamrolling us before we find a single page, or been me just racing to keep up as the survivor team apparently knew where to look for everything so we won but I had like zero participation except for occasionally killing things slowly.

What's a good class? I was running support since that usually is always beneficial but every character seems to have different abilities so it's not so clear what is actually useful.

All classes are good, but usually i wait in the lobby to see what others pick and take what's needed.

Check some youtube tutorials like Tofu ones,

View: https://youtu.be/gADGIjj9ovo

Also the best early advice is look at the map, the game tells you where the map pieces are. And they are pretty much always in the buildings, highlighted here as an example:
evildeadmap.jpg

Also, stealth! Never fire a gun or drive a car until the demon player is on you. Doing these loud noise actions will let the demon find you immediately :D

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so they did sneak in dark Mia that's cool.

The random queue is still hell having to deal with the random idiots.

Lv 20+ total idiots I mean. Not new players.

Mia seems stupid strong.

What does alex do exactly ?

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Haven't gotten around to playing Plague, but man is she fun to go against. Seeing her raise back up again after taking her down for the first time made me do a double take. Had a match where one trapped me upstairs with her cauldron while I was grabbing the map, leading to a pretty tense stand-off between her while the randoms beat it down to come help me. Thank you to the David who healed me with a clutch Shemp's.

Speaking of David, his active ability isn't the best, but the increased resistance when healing are just *chef's kiss*. Still wish his active ability was the defibrillator in some form. Too bad that the nail gun kind of sucks due to how much ammo specials get with pick-ups and it can't head shot a basic in one tap. Still prefer a revolver. Oh, and the syringes don't impress me either.

Mia is awesome; just a pure power house when spec'd correctly. Harry and Ash have better utility, but if you are going just for a damage build she's the best pick. Love just cutting down mobs of enemies and coming out with a large damage score at the end of a match. They need to patch in her being able to use the chainsaw. Who cares if it's on the right hand? She deserves it.

The blood rain effect is awesome, especially when it pools on the ground. When it happens in the mission I got pretty hyped, so I'm glad it happens in matches. As for the mission, it was pretty easy and the rewards aren't that cool, but it was fun. I want some cosmetics next time.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The plague witch really sucks in that her ranged attacks are fairly long ranged and go through terrain. She can sit outside a building and just blast the players over and over again. Eligos lightning also can go through terrain essentially but there is a warning it's coming as well as it takes a while to use and not easy to spam. With just can shoot her shots fast and there is little you can do pew pew pew pew

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Got to play for several hours over the weekend, but didn't win a single survivor match. Max level characters, too. And no one did anything especially stupid, haha.

Sweaty redditor demons must be thrilled, but it doesn't bode well for new players if matches are unwinnable with randos. I don't have a solution—and I can't imagine the difficulty of balancing to the point that both sides are satisfied. I certainly don't want to go back to taking 5-10 minutes to find a match, so I know you have to keep the demons happy. It's just a little frustrating, especially when I'm trying to get my less "hardcore" gamer friends into it

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Elgios got crazy buffed, and the Witch is mean.

I kinda prefer stronger demon though as the game was going poorly when it was clearly survivor sided. There was no challenge and no one wanted to play demons leading to 15min waits to find a match.

Now matches are quick as folks are back, but it also has brought back maxed out demon players who are good.

At same time, seeing lot of new and low level survivor players in the mix now. Folks are coming back who quit early or just buying into the game and its creating a new mix of weird matches. I join matches and every survivor is under level 10... oof. Gonna be rough.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
The basic game design of Evil Dead is pretty bad at that, if you're not at max level you will be weaker. Unlike most similar games, where even at lvl 1 characters you can still do good, but are just missing perks and addons.

Doubt they'll revisit the skilltrees and remove the flat out bonus damages etc and replace them with gameplay alterations

Redzap

May 16, 2018
I think I agree with the posters who say it's better to have the game be more difficult for survivors vs the alternative. The downside is that it is a bit of a rude awakening for newer players, but with the "if you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go together" nature of this game it's a necessary evil. As long as people stayed in groups of at least two I was able to at least get past the lost pages phase most games last night, which is fun enough. The only time I get frustrated is when people do stupid things or disconnect and we can't even get past that first phase.

It's amazing to me what a difference a good vs bad demon player can make. Some matches you can have a pretty good well balanced team of level 25 players and still be fighting tooth and nail the whole way, and other times you can have someone disconnect early and still sneak out a not too difficult 3 person win if the demon player isn't very experienced.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
The basic game design of Evil Dead is pretty bad at that, if you're not at max level you will be weaker. Unlike most similar games, where even at lvl 1 characters you can still do good, but are just missing perks and addons.

Doubt they'll revisit the skilltrees and remove the flat out bonus damages etc and replace them with gameplay alterations
As a new player, this has been the biggest hurdle once I got a handle on the basics. I literally just feel like I'm not as useful as another player because I don't have the stats maxed out. It's not the end of the world obviously, but I was surprised to see straight up damage and defense buffs in the skill tree.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I got killed 4 times in one game.

By possessed teammates.

As warrior I can dodge twice, the hunters can dodge 3 times more than me, so I can not actually run up to them and attack them.

But for the same reason, I also can not run and hide from them.

I don't have strong range damage while they can kill me in two to three shots.

And not a single one of them decided to attempt dropping their weapons.

And then they acted like it was my fault for dying lol.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Yea and not having level based match making really was a bad idea in the end cause the character power/skill curve is so all over the place. Any match I start and I see my team is all lower level, I usually have a bad feeling and yep, usually the high level demon player comes along and just destroys us.

Ironic when the demon players were not playing how it was nothing but high level survivors and you would steam roll as a team.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Demons don't suck anymore and dlc brought back lot of folks, so its been not bad. Games feel challenging again with sweaty demon players

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Update is out today: https://support.saber.games/hc/en-us/articles/10156492436113-September-27-2022-Patch-Notes

Blacksmith is a very tanky support character whose unique ability is that he collects scraps in game which allow him to make random melee weapons

Two new weapons added to the game, rapid fire crossbow and the quarter staff. One new SP mission also. Rest is mostly just balance changes and some new outfits.

A bit of a eh update after the 2013 update was so beefy with 2 new characters, weapons, and a new demon type.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Really hoping the next update gives us Chet as a survivor. It'd be a damn shame if an Evil Dead game never gets Ted Raimi.

Well, technically Henrietta is Ted Raimi lol but my point stands.

Blacksmith having the ability to craft weapons could be very cool, especially when in a match where the looting RNG feels like it's just fucking with you. Finally, I'm glad to see a Pup nerf, though guess we'll have to see how it effects the possession spammers. Those matches are so damn boring in solo q.

Redzap

May 16, 2018
I like the creativity with the character additions so far, particularly with Mia and now the blacksmith's gameplay mechanics. A bit light on content compared the the last update, but I think more frequent smaller updates would be better for player retention than a big one every couple of months. The Evil Dead 2013 update wasn't even that long ago at Sept 8th, but it feels like we haven't had an update in forever. Looking forward to getting some games in this weekend.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
My hope is for a new game mode or map. Though new game modes dilute the player pool sometimes and that could be a concern with wait times

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Halloween finally put me in the mood to play this some more. Got my Plaguebearer up to level 23 and finally started winning a few matches here and there. It was a rough start, fighting survivors who knew what they were doing against my level 1 demon. Now that I have a beefier demon that doesn't drop dead as soon as I summon it, I'm having some good fun.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Halloween finally put me in the mood to play this some more. Got my Plaguebearer up to level 23 and finally started winning a few matches here and there. It was a rough start, fighting survivors who knew what they were doing against my level 1 demon. Now that I have a beefier demon that doesn't drop dead as soon as I summon it, I'm having some good fun.

The game has some issues still that leveling up is a clear buff. Meaning your lvl1 demon will get stomped no matter what when going against someone higher up. I wish they would have already revised the skilltrees into just modifiers and options of builds instead of clear benefits. But i guess that's asking too much and best hope is for Evil Dead 2 to have a different style of skilltrees :D

At least you don't have to play the characters you want to level up, just keep racking up points with someone else and dump the xp into the new one.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yea not a smart idea. Prestige should have been unique cosmetic awards and such, not actual more skill points to just make them even stronger.

Redzap

May 16, 2018
my maxed out demon hands are excited and can finally top out the player level and get the platinum trophy.
(also sorry new players, prepare for a rough start)

I thought they needed a free to play weekend or something to get the player base up. I love the game but it feels like its running out of gas.
I have been too intimidated to play as a demon so I am going make my debut when that free epic promotion happens. That way the new players will have a demon they can beat up on.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Well, prestige is, surprise surprise, a huge time dump with very little reward to do so outside of perk points and bragging rights. Some of the challenges are absolutely ridiculous, too:

- Defeat 270 boss units.
- Win 75 matches.
- Complete 105 matches.
- Summon 450 boss units.

…and, from what I see, they aren't even accumulative? I didn't even have enough points to finish a first prestige so I wouldn't know. So after you win 24 matches are a survivor with (ridiculous queue times), those won't count towards your 75 wins at prestige 5. Killing those 150 boss units isn't going to be put towards the 270 later on.

I mean, you can skip them…for 90,000 to 108,000 SP per third of the bar. That is just an insane amount of grinding. Makes me feel discouraged from playing the game even if it's entirely optional, which really sucks.

Redzap

May 16, 2018
I played my first match as a demon last night, and I have had the game since launch. Only had time for one round, but I won!
Wasn't much of a win, played against two level 1 players, one level 2, and one level 111. I'm level 49. It came down to the dark ones phase and the experienced guy fought valiantly to help his team, but in the end once I started to put things together better I was able to overwhelm them. Again 3 players had no idea what they were doing, but it was fun.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, couple first games this weekend, poor newbies were just getting bullied really, but then the game decided to punish me instead:
Playing almost always demi-eligos build.

evildeads.jpg

I can't even imagine the amount of hours needed to get to lvl 465 in this game :D i have some 85 hours in and i'm lvl 47 now...

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Played a couple rounds tonight. Seems like it would be a much better game if there was WAY less demons but each of them were stronger or something. It's just nonstop chaos in a bad way to me. Also that aim acceleration feels awful and there's no way to disable it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Played a couple rounds tonight. Seems like it would be a much better game if there was WAY less demons but each of them were stronger or something. It's just nonstop chaos in a bad way to me. Also that aim acceleration feels awful and there's no way to disable it.

Some high level demons can make the game annoyingly unfun with how many enemies they can pump out where it feels like there is never any downtime at all.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

The gameplay style the devs have chosen is slow and stealthy at the start, then constant chaos and combat for the rest. Just gotta accept the combat as there is no avoiding it after the book pages.

First tip to sneak along as far as possible is to never fire a gun or drive a car. This at least before you know the demon player is on someone, as these make noise and give up your location instantly to the demon player, making it easy to beeline to you and start the harrasment :D

Also Pablo's basic skill makes him not show up on the demon players vision making him the stealthiest character if you want to avoid combat.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
How is the population for this game nowadays? I haven't played in ages! I don't think I've played since the castle map was introduced.
I watched Evil Dead 2013 the other night and kinda in the mood to play this again. Then I was just now browsing on the store and saw that the Season Pass is half off and I never bought any of that stuff, so now seems like a great time to do it!