• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
logo.png

Taking place in Makurhari Messe International Exhibition Hall in Chiba, Japan.
Date: January 24-26 (Note: For Americans and possibly other regions, it'll more like the 23-26 due to time differences)

Useful Links:
Main Site
- https://www.evojapan.net/2020/

Twitter - https://twitter.com/EVOJapanNews
https://twitter.com/EVO

Brackets
- https://smash.gg/tournament/evo-japan-2020/details

Streams:
twitch.tv/evo
twitch.tv/evo2

twitch.tv/evo3

85sIXYo.png

Main Tournament Games:
Soul Calibur 6

Samurai Shodown
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle
Tekken 7
Street Fighter V

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Schedule with Times Zones provided by AceKingOffSuit

EO8B-CGXUAE8Vlw
EO8B-CBX0AAFn9V
EO8B-CKWsAEYVAj
EO8B-CKX4AEb6E6

English Commentators:
EO7pq3KUcAAxnLa

Other Stuff:
New Guilty Gear Strive Build will be playable at the event

Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection will be playable at the event
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1217985811380989953?s=20

Here's a tweet that lists side games going on. No idea if any will be streamed

Feel free to restream EVO Japan

Also maybe announcements? Who knows *Shrugs*

Lastly, Thanks to all staff running and any people helping with the event (I hope things run well and it's fun experience) and good luck to all the players participating.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this is the same weekend as Genesis. Between the tournaments you could practically watch them all weekend with no break

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, also means I get to watch some of this tonight.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see all those annoucements of japanese devs implementing rollback on the future titles !

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Smug, Brian F, Idom, Punk, and Justin Wong attending? THose are the only ones I care about.

Oh and "Low Tier God," I'd love to see his salt translated from English to Japanese.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually way more interested in Strive/Unclr/GBVS news than any of the games actually being run.

But I'll tune in to see Arslan do Tekken.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, man. The timing on this really sucks as it's going to mean that hardly any Japanese Smash players will be attending Genesis 7.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised kadey didn't make the thread. Anyway, looking forward to it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Any rumblings about announcements?

Like on a scale of new Guilty Gear char to new SF6, how crazy the announcement are are talking?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Like on a scale of new Guilty Gear char to new SF6, how crazy the announcement are are talking?
SFVI isn't getting announced before SFV:CE launches, or even this year. Other than character announcements for GGS, SCVI, and SamSho, wouldn't expect anything other than KoF XV as far as new games.

OP
OP
Burning Kasshu
Oct 25, 2017
Is Smug, Brian F, Idom, Punk, and Justin Wong attending? THose are the only ones I care about.

Oh and "Low Tier God," I'd love to see his salt translated from English to Japanese.
No don't think so. Punk is listed in the bracket but from twitter It seems like he decided to stay home and possibly restream the event instead.

No rumblings from what I've seen. I'd keep expectations very low. I'd expect more updates on current games announcements (like samsho season 2, Haohmaru in SC6, or T7 balance patch release date) than a new fighting game. Maybe we see KOFXV but I imagine that will depend on how far along SNK is with it.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd advise everyone to watch Soul Calibur VI.

It's a great game and very hype.
Best of all it's quite readable.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
The time difference will make this a little challenging. Will probably watch the re-stream of SFV Top 96 to Top 8 during the day on Saturday, then try to stay up and watch Top 8 live.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Good OT but I do say the Title should have been "I've Traveled 100+ of Miles and All I Got Was This Controller With a Gold Decal."

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EVO Japan has generally not had much in the way of stuff like that- part new event, part awkward timing as a January event I wager. GG is on hold til their next demo release w/ character stuff.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed Kazunoko dropped Samurai Shodown and will be playing Smash instead. Is this his first major tournament for Smash?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Blah, annoyed EVO Japan is during a normal ass weekend here. I would have loved to enter SFV and Calibur this time.

Definitely going tomorrow and bought a ticket for Sunday just for Tekken. Surprised there are only 3 games Sunday and the ticket is 3500 yikes, but looking forward to it. Might stick around for Smash as well since I've been messing around in it lately too but gotta head back south before SFV gets kicking sadly. Curious to see how the SamSho tourny goes. I've tried to play it online this week and boy oh boy is that game dead. I know they have been rolling out small events for it here in Japan every few weeks though with Harumi as the face pushing it for SNK.

To be honest though I just want to play some casuals and blow cash on merch tomorrow haha. Oh and try out Strive. I'll definitely post what I thought about it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here for Tekken 7 baybeeeeeee!

Here's hoping we also get a KOFXV gameplay trailer.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about the quirky Japanese ads we get to see during the whole weekend.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving Soul Calibur (except Azwell of course)

That match with Jel was sick.
I've played the Japanese guy before in Tokyo. He handily destroyed me.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I question what the point even is of modern fighting games featuring button mapping at character select when people still do button checks immediately after anyway.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I just tuned in, has every BBTag match on stream really been a 3-0?

Man, this game...

Edit: UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH Sony needs to fix the license shit for tournaments with the PS5, this is so stupid.