• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

Registration for Evo Online will go live on June 5 in the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, and Europe. Competitors can enter for free in one or more of the following tournaments: Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, and Them's Fightin' Herds.

We're also partnering with Project HOPE and those who contribute $25 or more will receive a commemorative Evo Online badge and lanyard. 100% of the proceeds from all contributions will be donated to Project HOPE Global COVID-19 Relief.

Last edited:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty bad at fighting games, and have never played any of these. But I kind want to join just to have played in an Evo at some point. So two questions: is that a dick move, potentially wasting a more serious competitor's time? And if not, which of these games would it be easiest to pick up in a month?

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
kinda bummed out that Brazil is cut off from the championship, i must say.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

As people in the Twitter replies are mentioning:
- KI on W10 is cross play with XB1, but XB1 isn't allowed?
- Skullgirls on PS4 instead of PC even though the PC version is more updated and the barrier to entry is way lower on PC (not hard to run, PC is apparently the most populated version, and it's dirt cheap, was recently $1 for both base game + Second Encore and is still only $2 for both)?

Last edited:

ThePunisher

Oct 27, 2017
well this is as big of a condemnation of horrible fighting game net code as I've ever seen. Props to EVO for only including the games that have actually implemented usable net code.

May 19, 2020
well this is as big of a condemnation of horrible fighting game net code as I've ever seen. Props to EVO for including the games that have actually implemented usable net code.
I'm sure none of those publishers want to watch their game shit the bed live either. They are likely also aware of their crappy netcode.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
KI is on Gamepass; first month is often $1 so if you want to participate and have the means, it's one of the easiest options to access!

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Too many Wi-Fi warriors, lol.

Perhaps... but not quite.

I mean, i live in a small town up the coast of Rio, my entire Neighborhood is settle on farm lad that was developed into a closed neighborhood , we don't even have direct mail dilivery... but i still have Fiber internet. 200 down 50 up. And the avaiability is much easier on larger metropolitan areas anyway.

I suppose the overal ratio wouldn't be as good. There is a LOT of cities with shitty internet indeed. But not enough that i imagine it would justify EVo cutting the entire damn country out.

Oct 25, 2017

- Skullgirls on PS4 instead of PC even though the PC version is more updated and the barrier to entry is way lower on PC (not hard to run, PC is apparently the most populated version, and it's dirt cheap, was recently $1 for both base game + Second Encore and is still only $2 for both)?

The only platform pick here that makes sense is TFH and that's because it's only available on Steam

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
All the rapid changes mikez is adding to skullgirls pc is unstable and like most programming work is adding its fair share of bugs along the way until he code freezes and clean up. He said that all the pc changes will come to console once it is stable so that may be why.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
there goes my plan for entering the KI one

fuck me for living in south america i guess

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Is Skullgirls finally getting into Evo after 7 years the greatest underdog story of our time?

Cerebella is here to lead Santa's sleigh through the fog of COVID with her shiny nose, GGPO.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm not a KI player (should look into it again) myself, but that seems kind of odd to me. Are there issues with the Xbox One version (or perhaps base Xbox One)?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd get in on the Mortal kombat tourny but I have the Switch version. RIP

At least I can try Killer Instinct on PC

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest player base for MK11 may be PS4 according to the community.

EDIT : I looked again, PS4 version is indeed the tournament standard for Mk11

It has cross play with xbox one. Unless there's no way to set up a match with a specific player why pick one platform instead of listing both?
KI is listed as W10 but Mr Wiz has said Xbox can be used

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never tried Crossplay with MK 11. Is it less reliable than Same Platform vs. Same Platform to the point that you couldn't at least allow PS4 and Xbox players to play?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I've never tried Crossplay with MK 11. Is it less reliable than Same Platform vs. Same Platform to the point that you couldn't at least allow PS4 and Xbox players to play?
I haven't used it myself but I've never heard any complaints regarding connection or netcode quality when crossplay is happening. Technically, there shouldn't even be any issue in a crossplay because both consoles run the same game version with a consistent 60 FPS and even the API they use is platform agnostic.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Guess im out :(
No OCE even though ive had no issue playing people on the other side of the world. Which laws and regulations?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty bad at fighting games, and have never played any of these. But I kind want to join just to have played in an Evo at some point. So two questions: is that a dick move, potentially wasting a more serious competitor's time? And if not, which of these games would it be easiest to pick up in a month?
Nope, the more the merrier! The only dick move would be playing on Wifi
This is your chance! Tournament atmosphere is different from casual play, who knows you might play a top tier player!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sucks that all the fighting games I currently play all have terrible online and thus are only doing invitationals, with one being dropped completely.

Cacpcom, Nintendo, Arc, and Namco need to get their shit together for their future games.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It has cross play with xbox one. Unless there's no way to set up a match with a specific player why pick one platform instead of listing both?
KI is listed as W10 but Mr Wiz has said Xbox can be used
Oh, I didn't know it had crossplay. Well, no reason for Xbox one not to be included then.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A shame that they restricted the regions so much.

I don't believe for a second they researched most of the countries that wouldn't get them into legal trouble. I'm fine with that because to do that research is expensive and this event was done on short notice. If they continue to do an Evo Online next year they better put in the time, money, and effort to figure out the legal hurdles.