• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
EW had a pretty nice write-up on the upcoming 300th episode milestone that Supernatural is hitting along with details and images on the event fans have waited 11 and a half seasons for -- the return of Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

I'm of the belief that through its ups and downs, Supernatural still remains entertaining even at its worse (hello, seasons 7 and 9). No, it will never be seasons 4 and 5 again it has had great seasons since then and I still look forward to it. Having John back (even for one episode, which is what it looks like) is going to be an emotional trip.

ew1546_sn_57284384390304390.jpg

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/16/supernatural-ew-cover-300-episodes/

Supernatural premiered on The WB in 2005 and has since become the longest-running show in The CW's history. The idea was simple: two brothers hunting monsters from urban legends, the kinds of things you'd hear about while sitting around a campfire. Bloody Mary? They killed her. Hook Man? Yep, him too. But it didn't take long for the writers to understand that they might have to broaden the scope of the show if they wanted to get 20-plus episodes (much less 300).

Despite surviving the 2006 WB–UPN merger that created The CW, it took years for Supernatural to land on solid ground. "Bob Singer and I were fighting for the show's survival at the ends of the first three seasons," says creator Eric Kripke. "We'd have a meeting with the network that we informally called the 'explain-why-we-should-give-you-another-season' meeting."

And in season 4, they made perhaps their biggest, boldest decision yet: They introduced angels (and therefore a much more religious story line) into the fold, which Singer identifies as the show's biggest turning point. "I was concerned that would be a bridge too far," Padalecki says of the angelic decision. "I wondered, 'Are we going to turn o a lot of the people that came here to watch a scary movie?'" Kripke himself had fought the idea for years, until a pre–season 4 epiphany came to him while he was washing his face, of all things. "I realized the supernatural world was unbalanced," Kripke says. "There was only evil. So I walked in the writers' room on day one of season 4 and said, 'Okay, there's going to be angels…but they're dicks!'"

"A benefit of genre is we have such a huge runway in terms of 'anything can happen,'" then writer and current co-showrunner Andrew Dabb says. "A medical show is limited in the scope of what they can do. We're not." So the next few seasons saw Supernatural push even more boundaries, with alternate realities, meta episodes ("The French Mistake," anyone?), and new villains. That's not to say everything worked, but that's the beauty of a long-running show with a devoted audience — everything doesn't have to work.

It's those fans who are devoted to Sam and Dean, even when their Impala might take a wrong turn. "The show's ability to evolve and adapt is what's led to it lasting 14 years," Dabb says, adding, "Theoretically there are still a bunch of Leviathan out there running around that we never dealt with, but we don't talk about that."

As for how John comes back, let's just say things get weird — don't they always? — and there's an altered reality at play. "Our guys are put in a position where they essentially can have a wish granted," Dabb says. "They're actually expecting something else, but [John's return] comes from a place of want by Dean. The need for closure is really what brings John back into their lives." But John isn't the only person who comes back into their lives. As with any altered reality, not everything changes for the good. Without getting too specific, whatever brings John back also causes the return of Zachariah (Kurt Fuller), the no-BS angel who saw Sam and Dean as nothing more than thorns in his side.

But as the Winchesters know a bit too well, all good things must come to an end. And when this is said and done, Sam and Dean will return to their life, driving down crazy street next to each other. Because despite the show hitting 300 episodes, nobody's ready to call it quits just yet. "I don't think we're ready to throw in the towel," Ackles says. "We've still got a little gas in the tank." Put another way, Sam and Dean still got work to do.

sn_32783279839233.jpg

sn_238973892389321.jpg

sn_3877329823902309121.jpg

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
theres now more seasons of this show that I havent seen versus the first 6 I saw. Jesus lol

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm glad they changed course on the earlier info we got on this episode last summer.

The premise doesn't sound very original but that's not what I want from this kind of episode anyway, so I'm hopeful it could be decent now.

By the way EW always delivers when it comes to SPN photoshoots. They've done some truly amazing stuff with the cast over the years.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No idea he was coming back, I really should get back into it. My last season was the one where the darkness left. How are the new ones?

Also, it should be illegal to be as good looking as Jensen for this long.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How have the last few seasons been? The last one I watched had the redhead evil lady. Worth catching up?

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No idea he was coming back, I really should get back into it. My last season was the one where the darkness left. How are the new ones?

Also, it should be illegal to be as good looking as Jensen for this long.

How have the last few seasons been? The last one I watched had the redhead evil lady. Worth catching up?

Fan reaction is mixed but I believe everything after season 5 will always be up for debate.

I personally loved season 12 with the British Men of Letters and return of a big bad guy (in the second half -- the first half of his plot was shaky). I really enjoyed season 13. They decided to bring some more focus onto the recurring characters rather than just Sam and Dean. Some fans hate that, some love it. I personally think making it more of an ensemble is the best way to keep the show fresh.

14 has been a little mixed as the season long arc hasn't been great but the MOTW episodes have been good. Such is Supernatural. It lowest point will always be seasons 7 (Leviathans) and 9 (after the angels fell). It remains entertaining and watchable throughout.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I have never watched an episode of this show, but 300 is ridiculously impressive. It must have a strong following.

Would ya'll suggest giving it a go? Kind of scared to seeing there is gonna be 300+ episodes lol.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Can't wait. Hope there's more comedy than drama. Supernatural is at its best with comedy.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched Supernatural in a loooong ass time. I didn't even finish season 10.
Now all I see is Negan lol.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Regardless of my opinion of the latest seasons, it should be a mostly self-contained episode.

So catching up really isn't required but this sounds like a must-watch if you've ever liked the show at some point. So just watch this episode and decide after if you want to go through what you've missed, is my advice.

TaterTots : You can't go wrong with the first five seasons, you should totally give it a try. Even though SPN is old as fuck no other show has had the same mix of horror, drama, comedy and meta elements.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite TV show for over a decade. Bring it! Can't wait to see John.
Hope Supernatural goes on forever :)

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I have never watched an episode of this show, but 300 is ridiculously impressive. It must have a strong following.

Would ya'll suggest giving it a go? Kind of scared to seeing there is gonna be 300+ episodes lol.

Yes! I recently went through the entire series with my fiancee to get her into it. Like I said, ups and downs (in the second half of the series) but absolutely worth it. Entire series is on Netflix.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Uhm, haven't watched like the last 5 episodes. WTF, is this tied with the main storyline? Has to be.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show basically started off as a b-tier X-Files clone for teens with some X-Files people working on it, but like after 300 episodes you just have to respect the hustle. X-Files is my favorite show still but this has done an admirable job appealing to the cheese horror crowd with likeable characters.

Only thing though, since i havent seen i think beyond season 6 or so, do they stop with the demons angels shit? I remember it got so heavy that every episode felt like it was just about that and i eventually lost interest because it got too ridiculous when binge watching. I like dthe earlier seasons better when they had a variety of monsters and stories.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Only thing though, since i havent seen i think beyond season 6 or so, do they stop with the demons angels shit? I remember it got so heavy that every episode felt like it was just about that and i eventually lost interest because it got too ridiculous when binge watching. I like dthe earlier seasons better when they had a variety of monsters and stories.

Oh, if only you knew. Trust me we're still swimmin' in this shit right up to the elbows 10 seasons later, and I do mean THE EXACT SAME SHIT.

This part of the lore has been been sucked dry of content years ago and made a joke in many aspects (demons, for example), but it's one that the writers can never seem to let go of. They probably think it's in the show's DNA and forgot how it really started.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, if only you knew. Trust me we're still swimmin' in this shit right up to the elbows 10 seasons later, and I do mean THE EXACT SAME SHIT.

This part of the lore has been been sucked dry of content years ago and made a joke in many aspects (demons, for example), but it's one that the writers can never seem to let go of. They probably think it's in the show's DNA and forgot how it really started.
I mean, i understand they decided to go with it as the main mythology story thread but do they at least have a lot of the episodes mix it up with other stories? Like what's the ratio per season for mainline demon vs monster of the week?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Quick aside, what was the epic season again? Was it the end of season 4 and all of season 5? Or maybe it was the end of season 5 and into 6?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy fuck, this is still on.

Holy fuck, this has been on for 300 episodes?

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be great if it went 2 more seasons after this one. Maybe that would get them to episode 360.
If they know ahead of time when the end is, they could use all of that time to map out an amazing final couple of seasons.

But if next season were the last, 15 long years is a great number to end on for sure.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Quick aside, what was the epic season again? Was it the end of season 4 and all of season 5? Or maybe it was the end of season 5 and into 6?
I'd say all of Season 4 and 5, though it kinda requires you watch the first three seasons to appreciate the upgrade in scale.

I've been off and on with the show since S5, but I'm def jumping back in for this. John Winchester

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say all of Season 4 and 5, though it kinda requires you watch the first three seasons to appreciate the upgrade in scale.

I've been off and on with the show since S5, but I'm def jumping back in for this. John Winchester
I saw at least seasons 1-7. I just couldn't remember which one's were the really good ones. I feel like rewatching them

Oct 28, 2017

Dont forget secrets.

Oct 26, 2017
How is this fucking show still on the air?

Never seen a single episode myself, but my sister was super into it until like season 8-ish.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Season five and season eleven are neck and neck for me. Though nothing will attain arc perfection like 1-5.

This will always be my show.
The gifs alone seal it.
xqc1F7N.gif

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
300 episodes, good lord lol.
I'll never finish my rewatch of this show, since the bad episodes can kill my enjoyment, fast.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Season five and season eleven are neck and neck for me. Though nothing will attain arc perfection like 1-5.

This will always be my show.
The gifs alone seal it.
xqc1F7N.gif
Finally someone singing the praises of season 11.
It was like the writers stopped giving a fuck about the Tumblr crowd and just told the story they wanted to. And it was so good.
Def belongs with 4 and 5 for best seasons.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The first five seasons is the main arc and they are amazing. The rest of the seasons are kind of just extra, some good some bad, if you want more.