• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

The backstory: According to Snoops, the photos are from Heeb magazine — a satirical Jewish publication that ran between 2001 and 2010 (and the concept was Barr's idea).

But after last week's highly rated premiere of Barr's rebooted ABC comedy, the photos resurfaced on social media and began making the rounds over the Easter weekend, with some calling for a boycott of ABC.

Now THR has asked Roseanne co-showrunner Bruce Helford about the images during a wide-ranging interview. Here's what he said:

"I know that Roseanne is a very staunch supporter of Israel and she has said as much," Helford said. "I imagine there's probably some amount of parody involved and all that. I don't know the context of that so I wouldn't make a comment on it. My feeling is that people should just watch the show and judge it on its merits. Watch the show without the accompanying background noise. Everybody, including Roseanne, wanted the show to be balanced. When we talk about wanting to open a dialogue in America, that's something that the show does. We're not trying to perform brain surgery or cure cancer. We all hoped that this would open a dialogue where people would start laughing at themselves a little bit, get a little less polarized and realize that this is a universal conversation. Lots of families find themselves divided on these issues. There's got to be a way to talk and still love each other the way that Roseanne and Jackie made their peace [in the revival's premiere]. And that's really what we want to have come out of it."

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/04/roseanne-hitler-photo/

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shes such an idiot, thats why i never watched any of her shit. Didnt watch it the first time around and wont watch it now.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

What can you even say...

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
uh no

I like the show and will probably keep watching as long as it runs, but what she did is troubling and not something that can simply be ignored. hold her accountable.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a shoot made by a jewish woman for a magazine by jewish people and for jewish people. The magazine is called Heeb, for reference.

I'm not going to tell jews how they should feel about this.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I hope this shitty show gets canceled. Fuck Roseanne. If they had the guts they'd break the contracts and cancel it on the spot.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
"Supporters of Israel" still hate Jewish people. They just think that Israel will be the focal point of the apocalypse and want all the white people to be swept up into heaven faster so they don't have to experience death.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
It was a shoot made by a jewish woman for a magazine by jewish people and for jewish people.

I'm not going to tell jews how they should feel about this.
Yeah, I feel like this entire situation is changed by the context. If some Jews thought it was funny enough to shoot and print, that exonerates Roseanne of any antisemitism here. Maybe other people find it tasteless and unfunny, but hey, that's comedy for you.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I would rather have people concentrate on the fact that she's the kind of conspiracy theory nutjob who tweets "NAZI SALUTE" at mass shooting survivors.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean it was a parody shoot for a Jewish magazine.

Doesn't improve the perception of her much considering her shitty politics and general stupidity that totals up to "Why the fuck is Rosanne Barr still a thing?"

Oct 26, 2017
jesus christ why cant people just have fun anymore. people take offence and call for their heads asap... if she is a nazi it would be different... its a joke, maybe a tastless one but its no less harmful than comedians making rape jokes, murder jokes, jew jokes, nazi jokes, muslim jokes, gay jokes etc. It´s comedy.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The source of where the pictures come from makes me wonder if it has a history of doing similiar controversial shoots and stories.

Also weird with everyone involved being Jewish.

It's just such an odd thing to put in print, but I'm not Jewish nor did I know of the magazine until this thread so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm. I didn't realize the magazine was a Jewish publication. So if that's the case, and Roseanne is Jewish herself, that is whatever to me then.

I can go on thinking she's disgusting for everything else she's done, though.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Would you agree that some things are heinous regardless of context?
I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with an example of something that should always be off limits, full stop.

I would rather have people concentrate on the fact that she's the kind of conspiracy theory nutjob who tweets "NAZI SALUTE" at mass shooting survivors.
Also, this. This can't be construed as satire. It's her having really shitty social/political views.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mel brooks did a musical number where he drowned rabbis and kicked men into iron maidens and it was fine. There's way more problematic stuff with her than that Hitler photo that was clearly in jest.