• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's great the guy seems to be in a better place than whatever depth is described in the text.
Outside of that there's not much to be said imo and after 2014 I'm forever suspicious about any men airing dirty laundry in public.
There's not much to gain from directly naming the people involved.
If the situation is as described in the text, there's a lot of firing that needs to happen at Blizzard and hopefully justice is served in front of a judge and everything.
And if an investigation is done, it absolutely needs to be done by an independent party.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has the lowest ratio of replies to views of any thread on the first page right now. Based on the other threads, we should expect 2-4x as many replies to a thread with this many views. Not long after my last post, it had already fallen to page 3.

The only post from a journalist in this thread was criticizing TheQuartering, but then that same person said they wouldn't ask for any comment on this story and that TheQuartering was the most suitable place for this man to take his story. What exactly is that supposed to mean?

A large portion of the posts in this thread have blamed the victim, tried to dig up dirt on their past, or just plain guessed that they were a sexist who deserved it.

Outside of that there's not much to be said imo and after 2014 I'm forever suspicious about any men airing dirty laundry in public.
There's not much to gain from directly naming the people involved.

This is exactly what GGers say about women who talk about discrimination in the gaming industry. Do you think you'll be permabanned from this site?

The silence is deafening. A truly disgusting showing for the Resetera community.

If you are one of the people worried about "how this looks," then why not do the right thing and come out in support of this victim? Nobody should ever be subjected to racism in the workplace.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
he filed an EEOC complaint, that automatically starts an internal and potentially external investigation, it ain't no joke.

Check these link if you want to know what is entailed in one. https://www.upcounsel.com/eeoc-complaints https://smallbusiness.chron.com/eeoc-complaint-hurt-employer-17776.html

That is good to hear. Clearly an investigation needs to occur.

The silence is deafening. A truly disgusting showing for the Resetera community.

If you are one of the people worried about "how this looks," then why not do the right thing and come out in support of this victim? Nobody should ever be subjected to racism in the workplace.

It is a little concerning that people seem almost hesitant to comment on this story...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is exactly what GGers say about women who talk about discrimination in the gaming industry. Do you think you'll be permabanned from this site?

The silence is deafening.

A truly disgusting showing for the Resetera community. If you are one of the people worried about "how this looks," then why not do the right thing and come out in support of this victim? Nobody should ever be subjected to racism in the workplace.
And that's pretty much why I tried to be as precise as I could in discussing this.
I'm not saying anything depicted here is anywhere close to ok or whatever.
Racism in the workplace is one of the worst shit to happen and I absolutely want to avoid having to go into a discussion of what is and what is not racism because that still opens the door to having some bad behavior deemed as acceptable.
From what I can tell, the person involved did the most important part in going through the legal battle for this.
I, personally, gain nothing from having the names of the alledged harassers published. It may help others so at this point I don't have anything interesting to say on that point.
And after the shitshow of 2014 you can't exactly blame anyone from being suspicious about any text laying the blame on some women for the issues of some guy at 1st glance.

You are right in correcting me about the qualifiers for any support.
I fully support the author in getting justice for this and certainly hope that this will make any similar situation harder to happen in the future.
You do have to understand that people will be very mad if there's anything close to a minor a problem in anything said and unsaid there, especially as we still have vivid memories of some asshole trying to stir a mob against a woman for no reason at all by sharing a story of being wronged by a woman.
e: fuck anyone trying to find dirt on the guy to somehow shut him though, that's beyond fucked up.
Hopefully an independent investigation pull through

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading and it was a really though one to get through. I'm glad that the person in question sounds like they've start to recover from their time at Blizzard and hope they continue to improve. Assuming the allegations are true, I hope that they also get more than some measure of justice in the future.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Also it never hurts to point out that harassment and racism, especially when accusations of sexism fly without reasons just to shut off other people, and when men are accused of being weak and whiny, does stem directly from toxic masculinity and the patriarchy. Patriarchy is what gives people the power to humiliate women, just as much as the power to humiliate men who aren't from the toxic, emotionless mold that society expects from us. Men being hurt, raped, power played and humiliated for not being "chads" are suffering too and people who gets off this as some sort of schadenfreude is garbage.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has the lowest ratio of replies to views of any thread on the first page right now. Based on the other threads, we should expect 2-4x as many replies to a thread with this many views. Not long after my last post, it had already fallen to page 3.

The only post from a journalist in this thread was criticizing TheQuartering, but then that same person said they wouldn't ask for any comment on this story and that TheQuartering was the most suitable place for this man to take his story. What exactly is that supposed to mean?

A large portion of the posts in this thread have blamed the victim, tried to dig up dirt on their past, or just plain guessed that they were a sexist who deserved it.

TheQuaretering is pro GG, FYI. Dude got banned from magic for stalking a cosplayer and harrassing her.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
I, personally, gain nothing from having the names of the alledged harassers published. It may help others so at this point I don't have anything interesting to say on that point.
And after the shitshow of 2014 you can't exactly blame anyone from being suspicious about any text laying the blame on some women for the issues of some guy at 1st glance.
Why do the events of 2014 render male victims "suspicious?" Do you really believe male accusers would make up claims and quit their dream job just to get back at the world's women for subverting GamerGate? This is, again, exactly what misogynists and incels believe about women who come forward.

I think all abusers should be named, because that's the only way any action can ever be taken. Too many companies seem incapable of handling these issues internally, and Blizzard is no exception.

TheQuaretering is pro GG, FYI. Dude got banned from magic for stalking a cosplayer and harrassing her.
I know TheQuartering is a shit heel, but what does that have to do with the man's decision to contact him with his experiences? A large Youtube channel that revolves around drama is a great way to have your story heard and spread around by a million other people.

And remember, we've already had a journalist in this thread say he wouldn't follow up on this story and said TheQuartering was the best place for the man to go with his story. Why is that?

Is it possible he already tried to contact other outlets? We won't know until a journalist asks this guy and reports on it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Judging by the the lack of reaction here and from video game media outlet, I doubt Blizzard will do anything beyond standard PR reply.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A PR reply would be recognizing the situation, when not even big outlets are picking up the story for a reason or another, I doubt they would do that.

I am actually confused why big media outlet don't at least try to find out about this.
Are they scared of Blizzard?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I am actually confused why big media outlet don't at least try to find out about this.

After reading through everything, this is such a personal story about how one coworker treated him like shit and it spiraled out of control to the point he couldn't handle it anymore. HR should've been more proactive about helping the situation but Blizzard as a whole really has little to do with any of it. I don't think your typical video game media outlets would touch on something that's so personal between the two parties involved. Especially when their names are front and center of the story in the first place.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
After reading through everything, this is such a personal story about how one coworker treated him like shit and it spiraled out of control to the point he couldn't handle it anymore. HR should've been more proactive about helping the situation but Blizzard as a whole really has little to do with any of it. I don't think your typical video game media outlets would touch on something that's so personal between the two parties involved. Especially when their names are front and center of the story in the first place.
Blizzard is entirely responsible for their workplace quality, and I doubt big outlets wouldn't report on something just because it's "too personal". But the bit about the names might have something to do with the silence, a lot of peoples names are in the story, and they might be waiting for what the investigation will say.

I don't think they being afraid of Blizzard, or Blizzard putting pressure on them, is the reason, other stories about harassment in the workplace have come from various other companies multiple times before, and they have been mostly reported by big outlets.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
well the EEOC complaint is enough for me to think he feels like he was racially discrimated against. A pending federal investigation isn't something that gets swept under the rug and you can bet there will be a ton of interviews at Blizzard in regards to this.
A PR reply would be recognizing the situation, when not even big outlets are picking up the story for a reason or another, I doubt they would do that.
Variety article got a PR reply but this being a EEOC complaint at least makes it so they can't just sweep it under the rug. They need to fact find and present it to the EEOC and if they find it isnt enough they'd do an independent invistigation at Blizzard

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Blizzard is entirely responsible for their workplace quality, and I doubt big outlets wouldn't report on something just because it's "too personal". But the bit about the names might have something to do with the silence, a lot of peoples names are in the story, and they might be waiting for what the investigation will say.

I understand that employees of a company are representatives of said company , but I just don't think this story is a proper subject matter for our current media to cover. There were already people in this topic calling for boycotts on Blizzard products when that isn't going to solve any problems and missing the point. These are far more serious allegations that should be properly looked into. The victim is very forth coming and they're very willing to name names which makes it extremely personal. Like you said, if there's an investigation and Blizzard would like to make a statement that's more than welcome. I'm sure that Variety article is basically all we're going to hear from them on the subject at the moment. As it stands right now the employees named clearly seem to be the ones to blame and the only good I can even see come from this is a change of staff in those departments.

Edit; this whole situation is terrible and reminds me of a very personal story of a friend who went to HR in hopes of trying to solve their own harassment problems. They ended up leaving their job for similar reasons.

Last edited:

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Variety article got a PR reply but this being a EEOC complaint at least makes it so they can't just sweep it under the rug. They need to fact find and present it to the EEOC and if they find it isnt enough they'd do an independent invistigation at Blizzard
Ah really, hadn't seen the Variety article yet, will check it out. Also didn't know much about the EEOC, so I'm glad that it's important enough that they can't simply ignore it then.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Ah really, hadn't seen the Variety article yet, will check it out. Also didn't know much about the EEOC, so I'm glad that it's important enough that they can't simply ignore it then.
yeah I posted some links about EEOC complaints info on the last page and another poster posted a Variety article. One of the roles of HR is to limit exposure to these kinda things as well as lawsuits as it can be extremely costly and time consuming.

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/process.cfm
https://www.upcounsel.com/eeoc-complaints
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/eeoc-complaint-hurt-employer-17776.html
https://www.ada.gov/filing_eeoc_complaint.htm

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ah! Thank you, will give it a read!

I understand that employees of a company are representatives of said company , but I just don't think this story is a proper subject matter for our current media to cover without it looking like Blizzard as a whole is garbage. There were already people in this topic calling for boycotts on Blizzard products when that isn't going to solve any problems. The victim is very forth coming and they're very willing to name names which makes it extremely personal. Like you said, if there's an investigation and Blizzard would like to make a statement that's more than welcome. As it stands right now the employees named clearly seem to be the ones to blame. The only good I can even see come from this is a change of staff in those departments.
Blizzard will get the blame for this should the investigation turn out some evidence, as they should, but I wouldn't be afraid about a big corporation like Blizzard taking a PR hit like this. It's obviously certain individuals fault for this situation, but it's also the company fault for how their HR department was functioning at the time. I also doubt that anyone calling Blizzard thrash here in this thread thinks that most of the employees in the company are thrash, and are directing their rage towards the corporation and the people at the top.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"I dont know why this dude publicly outed a racist" says forum that gobbles up videos of racists being racist on tape being named and shamed

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So I have just read some of the links Razgriz417 provided and from what I understand he's suing under "Title VII (discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin)", but he could be suing under Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) too, right? Or could he possibly suing from both angles since it looks like he has been discriminated both on his race and his disability, in this case his mental health? And under that case, is the investigation only targeting the case of racism, the further harassment he received from his disability or both?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I would think it'd be racial discrimination. But eeoc complaints take a long time and if they do find something, the company is more or less forced into a mediation. If they don't then they give him the greenlight to sue. If he left involuntarily, it's possible he could sue for wrongful termination and retaliation, though we don't have enough details yet

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I posted some links about EEOC complaints info on the last page and another poster posted a Variety article. One of the roles of HR is to limit exposure to these kinda things as well as lawsuits as it can be extremely costly and time consuming.

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/process.cfm
https://www.upcounsel.com/eeoc-complaints
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/eeoc-complaint-hurt-employer-17776.html
https://www.ada.gov/filing_eeoc_complaint.htm

I interned at the EEOC during my first year of law school, so I'm intimately familiar with the process. Honestly, an employee filing an EEO complaint is not a big deal. Any of big name corporations likely has hundreds of EEO claims filed against them, in my spare time I used to browse big name companies in the system to see how many complaints had been filed against them over the years. The problem with this employee (and most claims in general) is A) The Statute of Limitations has likely passed on the juiciest portions of his claims, you have 180 days from when a discriminatory event took place to file a claim and B) it would be hard to get the evidence he needs.

A record of filing complaints against the individuals stating these racist remarks against him towards his supervisor or Blizzard HR would be super helpful to his claim, as it would show that Blizzard was on notice that these events took place and did nothing. But, if he just had face-to-face conversations with his supervisors, none of it any sort of email or paper trail, well it's just his word against theirs. Honestly, when you file these claims the best thing you're hoping for is some sort of settlement with your employer.

Well, if there is an active EEO claim against them they'd be stupid to say anything beyond a general PR reply.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I have zero doubt that warnings and bans would have rightfully been issued if the gender roles in this scenario were reversed and posters were pulling some of the same "they need to harden up" or "they're no angel" shit that we are seeing in this thread.

Curious and curiouser.

Some people are so invested in the culture wars that they lose sight of the basic values and principles they initially sought to defend. *insert Nietzsche quote about fighting monsters here*
This. There's clearly this atmosphere of being hesitant to post about it, too. There's something really disgusting at work here. People putting this guy's wellbeing aside for any other reason, it's really grim.

4 pages in and we've had:

toughen up, bro!
He should be careful about what he says...
What about her? This is only one side...
He sounds like a sexist to me... (Deserved it)

A sad picture of Era, truly.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
The only post from a journalist in this thread was criticizing TheQuartering

No, they were saying that TheQuartering is not a media outlet. Which it's not. By their own description they are a social commentary channel. Having a wide audience and then talking about shit that is happening doesn't make him a journalist and it doesn't make his channel a media outlet. The (apparent) fact that the channel is problematic is probably not the reason why they were saying the channel is not a media outlet. Media outlets can still be shitshows. For reference the first I ever heard of this channel was in this thread.

Also no journalist has any obligation to reveal to you what stories they are and are not working on. This story is less than 48 hours old. Journalists are going to do some digging. It seems like you want this done magically or just want media outlets to essentially retweet the story without looking into it. Be patient before acting like this story is being ignored.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Feel for the dude. Yet we got one side of a story here. And that story is pretty poorly told. Obviously guy was dealing with some major mental health issues. You won't hear Blizzards side but I bet there's a lot more to this. As a long time manger nothing is cut and dry with these things.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Cause the majority of people here don't like it when shit gets real.

Everyone should know by now that HR is never there to help the employee.

Yes. HR is about mitigating risk to the employer. In this case there should have been a lot known by HR about this guy. LoA usually funnel through HR. Companies would be trying everything to not have a law suit in a case like this.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Cause the majority of people here don't like it when shit gets real.

Everyone should know by now that HR is never there to help the employee.

Yep, harrasing is real, and can be a real bitch when you are the only one of your group there.

I recall HR straight out asking me for any political/religious afiliations I could have and if I was an active member of a social group (None of my coworkers were asked said question, I said no, and reminded her that it's illegal to ask that) and since then, they acted cold and began to "misplace" from mails to documentation regarding events and mandatory information that I should know to work properly.

Got out of there as soon as I landed another job, a better one, with an HR that doesnt bother to do a background check on your personal life.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
Having a wide audience and then talking about shit that is happening doesn't make him a journalist and it doesn't make his channel a media outlet.
I don't think TheQuartering a journalist either, but that is irrelevant to this topic. This man brought his story to someone who has a wide audience so that his story could be told and have greater reach online.

We don't even know which other outlets he contacted, if any. And yet the fact that he went to TheQuartering keeps getting brought up as if there's some sort of guilt by association.

I believe you're being incredibly charitable towards the guy from MP1st.com. I have no idea how you read his posts and concluded he was even thinking about working on covering this. He said the best place this man could have gone to share his story was Unsleeved Media, which is the alternate channel of the same guy he had just panned as not a proper "media outlet."

If that is the value this journalist sees in this story, do you really believe he's busy working on an article about it right now?

Last edited:

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First, you need to separate EEOC form OFCCP. Second, you need to have statistics to make any claim based off of either.

Third, this reads terribly. If he wants to be taken seriously he needs an attorney. What I just read is the rambling if a troubled person. Isolate your actual claims, present documented facts of these claims or requests for these individual claims.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
Third, this reads terribly. If he wants to be taken seriously he needs an attorney. What I just read is the rambling if a troubled person. Isolate your actual claims, present documented facts of these claims or requests for these individual claims.
This is a Twitter post and is probably not reflective of the actual complaint he and his lawyers filed long before this was made public. Do victims need every comment on their experience to be drafted by their lawyers if they "want to be taken seriously?"

Last edited:

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Why haven't people been up on Blizzard's neck for this?

It's a miracle there's no witchunt for this Gemma. Surprising.

Beatofficer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I was not the only one who noticed the lack of response from the community or major media outlets. It's really weird because if roles reversed this thread would have 30+ pages and articles on every gaming outlet.

It's really unfortunate this won't gain any traction or people will ignore this due to the victim's gender.

No one should be driven to suicidal thoughts, let alone within their work place.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I'm disputing your assumption with an assumption. There isn't any compelling reason to assume people aren't looking into this.
I'm calling it as I see it. Unless there's nothing that points to people being all up in Blizzard's neck then mine isn't an assumption. I mean, what is even your point? You assume there is something happening when you do not have evidence for it. How is mine an assumption when there is no evidence that proves otherwise?

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disputing your assumption with an assumption. There isn't any compelling reason to assume people aren't looking into this.
This isn't how the news cycle works. Reporters run breaking news stories every day with the information they have available. If new information pops up or someone responds for comment after a story is published, it gets edited in as an update to the story.

Workplace horror stories ran weekly in major outlets worldwide out the outset of the MeToo movement, and each one was run by dozens of reputable outlets within a 24 hour period. Do you think all of those outlets went digging for an official statement from various companies' lawyers before running to publish? No. They ran the initial story, and then when lawyers issued responses, the journalists either made new articles for those or amended them to the original piece.

The gaming press has conducted themselves the same way when previous stories involving HR problems at game companies have broke.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
Every post I've made on this page of the thread has been replying to people giving excuses as to why this story is suspicious, no big deal, or why we shouldn't be worried about the lack of media interest in this. Someone even said the victim sounded like a crazy person, and another said male victims can't be believed without further investigation. You'd think a moderator would have shown up in this thread by now.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't how the news cycle works. Reporters run breaking news stories every day with the information they have available. If new information pops up or someone responds for comment after a story is published, it gets edited in as an update to the story.

Workplace horror stories ran weekly in major outlets worldwide out the outset of the MeToo movement, and each one was run by dozens of reputable outlets within a 24 hour period. Do you think all of those outlets went digging for an official statement from various companies' lawyers before running to publish? No. They ran the initial story, and then when lawyers issued responses, the journalists either made new articles for those or amended them to the original piece.

The gaming press has conducted themselves the same way when previous stories involving HR problems at game companies have broke.
Then maybe there's a reason for that.

The fact that people in the thread are making up conspiracies because the accuser is a guy is ridiculous.