• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/StellaNoxEclair/status/1634407187882688514?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/DrWallkick/status/1634649738959290368?s=20

For those that need a reminder, the FFX HD Remaster came with updated character models.
Those are not only very ugly, they had completely different bones so the existing facial animations could not be used, most of it was discarded or "simplified", this lead to the characters not emoting properly or looking even worse (textures clipping, misplaced teeth etc..).

One of the absolute worst jobs Square has produced (made worse by the fact this is now the only version they ever show / sell of the game ) :

b6510e531f96d1eae7babbe955cc8427.jpg

PS2 (HD)
D8townIXYAMEDrp

"Remaster"

D8tozOYW4AIFS4v

Older twitter thread to show more of the issues :

View: https://twitter.com/Bionic_Catbus/status/1256033699377881088?s=20

Sigh

At least it's gonna justify a "remake", heh ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the remaster's faces are painfully bad. Just genuinely awful stuff. I initially thought it was just an issue with the Vita version, but nope...same bad models in every version.

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
Last time I played X I had to stop playing the remaster and move to emulating the PS2 version because Tidus and Yuna's faces in the remaster were so bad. Baffling how they messed them up so badly.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've never played the PS2 version, only the remaster on PS4 and as someone with no experience of the original I had a good time with it

I think the original stuff does look better in direct comparisons though

It's was a weird choice anyway as the PS2 version looks fine when emulated to higher resolutions

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the remasters back when they first came out, but I ended up going back to playing the original. The changes to the faces affect the animations and take away from the feel of the game.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
People that try to defend the new faces or, worse, say that the new faces are better are insane. The worst part is that the two characters most affected are Tidus and Yuna. You know, the leads of the damn game.

Terrible.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely hideous! Emulation is the way to go. Thankfully I still have my black label copy.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Advocating Piracy
Oh wow -- and I just bought this on Steam a while back. Wonder if there are mods.

There are but because the remaster discarded the animations themselves, you can't fix this issue even by using the mods that tried to fix it.
You still end up getting mismatch and wrong animations.

But since you bought it, I'd say your conscience is now clear to get the ps2 version ;D.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
they're bad as in... different? i mean on that i think there's hardly a reason to disagree as it's evident, but otherwise i don't see what the trouble is

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Square is EVER gonna do one of those again. VIIR itself is a ten-year quagmire that's wasting a huge chunk of Square's dev staff that could be making new games instead.

I think it all depends on what FF9R is.

A 1:1 remake in terms of locations and style with more dynamic battles and "unreal engine" ingame visuals is enough, no need to make full 3D free roaming out of every town you know.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't think Square is EVER gonna do one of those again. VIIR itself is a ten-year quagmire that's wasting a huge chunk of Square's dev staff that could be making new games instead.
If by "wasting" you mean "making a ton of guaranteed money," which corps just so happen to love lol

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember correctly but didn't they at least fix some of the damage in the PS4 editions of the remasters? Or was that sound/ music related?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If by "wasting" you mean "making a ton of guaranteed money," which corps just so happen to love lol

Let's be blunt: nobody is paying $180+ for a three-part remake of Final Fantasy X spread across an entire decade. That shit worked once, with FF7, and that's it. Never happening again.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember correctly but didn't they at least fix some of the damage in the PS4 editions of the remasters? Or was that sound/ music related?

They fixed the gameplay glitches, music, some crashes (not all), but didn't touch up the assets.
I think visually they made it worse because there is a harsh light everywhere now and I don't remember that from the ps3 version.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Let's be blunt: nobody is paying $180+ for a three-part remake of Final Fantasy X spread across an entire decade. That shit worked once, with FF7, and that's it. Never happening again.
I'd be willing to bet you're wrong about that, but X is a lot more straightforward to remake than 7 due to the world structure.

People grossly overestimate the impact on spending $180 over the course of a decade on sales

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird yeah.

The remaster also adds nothing from a gameplay perspective (no boosters especially), making it the only FF I'd actually go back to the original version for replays.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hated it back when the remaster came out and I still do. Would have preferred just a PS2 classics release

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FFX Remaster is ass. They forced input lag in menus and they had a bug which made it so the game only had one rng seed meaning the drops were always the fucking same.

Only saving grace is some of the tracks are greatly improved and some are much worse too.

I wouldn't recommend playing this version at all. Get a PS2 emulator

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
FFX wouldn't need to be a three part remake, that's a problem that only faces the pre-X games.

I think it's a pretty likely thing to happen, it's one of the most popular ones. Question would be do they bother with X-2 as well, and would it all lead into X-3.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Now I want a remake. Thanks for planting that idea in my head.

It is my favourite FF.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
ah look I don't love them and I don't even particularly care for the remastered soundtrack but always found the hate overblown, overall the FFX HD package was still great and being able to play the games well on every modern platform is awesome. The US PS2 version missing a bunch of content and the EU PS2 version being 50Hz are both much worse concessions

Theatrhythm Final Bar Line has had me edging buying a copy for Switch and starting yet another play-through

I get that you don't like the games but it's not wasting anything thing, they're making tons of new content for well selling games. FF7R is already better than the three games in the XIII trilogy and I would be shocked if by the end all three entries weren't better received both critically and commercially.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII is an extremely linear game too and yet they felt a need to break it up into three parts. It's not like Rebirth is gonna be an open world game.

But FF7 had a huge world and exploration in it, as "linear" as it was. Doing all that in a full "3d roaming 4K HD" style is rough.

FFX is basically on rail, already 3D. It's really much easier to remake.

Oct 31, 2017

I mean... yeah? But nobody is arguing for a FFX remake last I checked? FF7 Remake happened because of the history of FF7's remake going back to that tech demo from the PS3. So it probably wouldn't happen for FFX, but there's no reason for it to do so. It's not even a PS1 game; the look of the game is much better than FF7's blocky characters.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Currently facing this issue where my SO wants to try FFX, but there's no way I can in good faith let her experience the weird as fuck faces as her first experience.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
The only thing I remember is that I was freaking happy to be able to play this game on a PlayStation Vita.

And it was fantastic.