Do you care about the Animus story anymore?

• That shit trash. Get rid of it for good.

Votes: 539 56.8%
  • Keep it in but actually do something interesting with it.

Votes: 293 30.9%
  • I love the Animus. It should be 50% of the game.

Votes: 49 5.2%
  • All Animus all the time.

Votes: 68 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
images

Just curious because compared to the bonkers ending of AC2, I feel like the present day story elements have become less and less relevant to this series.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'd like for them to do something interesting about it, but also keep it to a minimum… killing it would be overkill but giving it too much focus is also not what I'd want in the games…

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I for one love how they hit the brakes on the story you're actually invested in to force you to spend time with some losers somewhere else talking about things you don't care about

ket

Jul 27, 2018
basim is the most interesting modern day ac protagonist ever but ubi will likely fumble his potential so im voting for them to free themselves of their modern day shackles and ignore the modern day storyline

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Don't need it at all. Completely takes me out of the game I am enjoying for some unrelated shit I'd skip if possible.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the modern day stuff, without it it feels like part of the game is missing. So much of the franchise is about revisiting the past from the perspective of the present. But they should work on it because it was pretty mid in Valhalla.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I miss Gossip Girl for sure but it feels like formulaically they've got their cash cow formula and I don't see them really emphasizing that as much as they once did

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i havent really played any of these games since 2, is there still some kind of interconnected story or did they give up on that?

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
Animus is probably the big thing that's kept me from getting into the series.

I want to be immersed in another time and place. I don't want to have this VR reminder hanging over my head. It's related to why I've grown allergic to isikai.

Archaeologist/historian framing device at the beginning and end wouldn't be too intrusive, but the VR stuff just grates.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
Voted trash. I just got the platinum for the Valhalla base game, and I feel like the half-baked modern storyline actively harmed the game and kind of wrecked the ending. It wasn't much better in Origins and Odyssey. It's become increasingly convoluted and nonsensical with each installment and way past time to pull the plug.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
people trying to tell me ubisoft has a plan to do anything interesting with the animus have been on copium since AC3.
Reality is this shit is designed to keep going forever so lets just drop the pretense and have these games be historical fiction not interrupted by bad modern day segments instead.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Zilch, Ubi have shown they can't and won't do anything interesting with it so stop wasting my time with it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've played every game in this exhausting ass series and I can tell you with 100% certainty that even Ubisoft doesn't have a clear idea of what the Animus is anymore.

"So it's a thing that allows you to explore the memories of your ancestors but it's really all a nefarious plot to trick you into rediscovering the location of ancient artifacts of great power! Okay, wait, it's now a game console or something! Shaun and Rebecca are still running around trying to fight Abstergo too, but they're basically running in place, never make any progress, and Abstergo's current goals are vague, ill-defined and ancillary!"

I would have loved that full-fat modern day Desmond game before they cocked up that plot with AC3. Now? Fuck it. It's ruined. Whatever. Junk it, I don't care. Ironically that's kind of how I feel about the entire franchise aside from the VR game, but that's a different topic.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's salvageable anymore. It could be the greatest thing ever and most people would be tuned out from the beginning.

Dec 17, 2022
Animus wont be in it though… at least, the modern part and interface. That's part of Infinite.

So what does it matter what I want (sad Enzio face)

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Im sorry but Basim is trash and Mirage didn't do a single thing to change my mind about him. I don't know how they keep digging even lower with each entry. I hated Layla her since she killed Victoria (GET UP VICTORIA!) and just when I started to finally get around to liking her they pull the BS stunt with Basim coming out of nowhere (like BRUH how does that even work!? The staff?). It seems like they have some semblance of plan with Layla and Desmond but at this rate I just don't give a shit anymore and this used to be one my main reasons that I kept coming back (despite disliking the pivoting to the Isu).

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It got interesting again with Valhalla's ending so i wanna see where that leads to.
But yeah, from black flag to syndicate, it felt like there was no direction with the modern day plot.

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Even when it was at its least worst (Black Flag maybe?) I never EVER was playing through the simulation and thought "Man, being an assassin sucks! When am I going to the modern part to do jack shit?!"

I get those people saying they could do something interesting with it.

But I think those people are forgetting this is Ubisoft we're talking about.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Zero. Get rid of the least fun part of the game. That would already have my interest in the game if removed. More than I could say for the last few AC's

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
It has always been the least interesting aspect of the AC games. The whole premise of going back to a place in time is the draw of these games. Running around a small sectioned off level for extra exposition dumps during act breaks is just not it. Outside of Desmond, I don't think people really care about the out of animus protagonist.

OP
OP
TableManners

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
Yeah I thought as much. Personally, throw it in the garbage. It's always a slog to get through that nonsense at the start of every AC so I can actually start playing the game.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I think I stopped caring about the outside the Animus stuff around the time of Brotherhood. So yeah, gtfo really.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but I hate Basim as a character. So keep it minimal until they replace him.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
only if they make it dumb as possible. Like a couple kids for the first time go as not Rabbids for Halloween—this time they go as a Samurai and Ninja. While knocking on the door of the creepy neighborhood scientist, they are struck by lightning and transported to Feudal Japan. Also their parents have been murdered by Templars and they must win the respect of the old gods to bring them back to life and claims of the title of Most Candy.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Animus stuff is what allows for all the cool connections/lineages that give us a reason to explore each new location and set of characters. It also allows for the justification of mythological elements like Greek gods, Christian artefacts, and ninjas.

It's what gives the series its identity and the series wouldn't be the series if it was removed.

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
It depends what you mean. The meta story in Valhalla was incredible, with some huge payoffs by the end of the game. I absolutely want more of that.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of the animus stuff, but in every AC game I've played it's been horribly boring, has no appreciable impact on the main story or gameplay, and always comes in at the worst time. Having animus stuff kick in right when the main plot was getting interesting felt like a time out sometimes. "Do your chores in the office for 20 minutes and then you can go back out to play again."

Make it optional, make it better connected to the main story, and/or give a mechanical reward for completing it, and I think people would hate it a lot less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TableManners

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
only if they make it dumb as possible. Like a couple kids for the first time go as not Rabbids for Halloween—this time they go as a Samurai and Ninja. While knocking on the door of the creepy neighborhood scientist, they are struck by lightning and transported to Feudal Japan. Also their parents have been murdered by Templars and they must win the respect of the old gods to bring them back to life and claims of the title of Most Candy.

Only if Wrench from Watch Dogs gives them the candy.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The modern-day plotline had some potential way back when Assassins Creed was originally supposed to be just a trilogy.

Now? I'd rather just stay in the past and soak in all that delicious history and culture. The present is always dull, grey, and needlessly convoluted.