Do you care about the Animus story anymore?

• That shit trash. Get rid of it for good.

Votes: 539 56.8%
  • Keep it in but actually do something interesting with it.

Votes: 293 30.9%
  • I love the Animus. It should be 50% of the game.

Votes: 49 5.2%
  • All Animus all the time.

Votes: 68 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about it at all. I think they need to stop the Animus shit and just go full on historical. They don't know what they're doing with the modern day story and haven't since a certain character was killed off a decade ago. I get it's their way to frame the reason why we're able to hop around to different time periods, but it just never goes anywhere so who cares anymore? Vast majority of players probably audibly groan in any AC games from the last decade when they're forced to do the modern day parts. It just isn't fun or interesting.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
20131206-0TgXNU2K.jpg

Flush it.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Bro I haven't known what the fuck is going on since the 360 era. I thought they were done with Animus lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Dump it or keep it entirely optional. Pulling the player out of the main game for brief, pointless interludes is annoying.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'd want a lot if it was interesting.

I don't want it if it's going to be a literal 5 minutes of a vague puzzle that has little to nothing to do with the overarching plot. AssCree 2, 3 and 4 were terrible about that, even with all of the out-of-the-animus stuff.

Odyssey probably handled it the best and even then...like, what are we doing?

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
It depends what you mean. The meta story in Valhalla was incredible, with some huge payoffs by the end of the game. I absolutely want more of that.
I strongly disagree with this. The game would've been much better in my opinion if it had a tighter story that focused solely on the sibling rivalry of Eivor and Sigurd over leadership of the Raven clan, with the Norse mythological elements mixed in just to contrast how each is guided differently by their visions of the gods.

They can keep a very basic "you join an ancient order of assassins" framing device so it's nominally some kind of Assassin's Creed each time, but I think they should completely jettison all the other accumulated lore which is just unwanted baggage at this point.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Less than Black Flag level stuff

like intro, some thing here and there in plot twists and some extra stuff if you want and a prologue

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Come on now, we deserve better than Layla. Origins was fine, but Odyssey went batshit and Valhalla followed it. Now we're stuck with Basim and bullshit.
Really put into perspective why someone like Desmond was needed in the first place because he could like...actually interact with the isu stuff without losing his sanity.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It's gonna be segmented off in AC Infinity somehow I suspect. Shadows itself will probably have little to none of it.

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
I strongly disagree with this. The game would've been much better in my opinion if it had a tighter story that focused solely on the sibling rivalry of Eivor and Sigurd over leadership of the Raven clan, with the Norse mythological elements mixed in just to contrast how each is guided differently by their visions of the gods.

They can keep a very basic "you join an ancient order of assassins" framing device so it's nominally some kind of Assassin's Creed each time, but I think they should completely jettison all the other accumulated lore which is just unwanted baggage at this point.

Each to their own. I thought the contrived rivalry between Sigurd and Eivor was the least interesting part of the narrative. The meta story is what I have enjoyed the most over the last few games, not so much with Origins, but with Odyssey and Valhalla absolutely. The writing hasn't been this good since Revelations.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
They fumbled that bag by killing Kassandra in the modern timeline. I would have been more than content with hearing Kass shooting the shit with some companions recalling the people she met while travelling the world during her lifetime.

At least Basim is a much more interesting character than Layla...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022
Always hated it. I remember in the very first game I didn't like it. Took me right out of the experience. It should have been a historical anthology game with the common theme being the battle between assassins and templars from the beginning.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The fumbled that bag by killing Kassandra in the modern timeline. I would have been more than content with hearing Kass shooting the shit with some companions recalling the people she met while travelling the world during her lifetime.

At least Basim is a much more interesting character than Layla...
Personally, I'd say that giving Kassandra the staff of immortality was a mistake. She appears during the events of Valhalla, and that's about it. Otherwise, she's hanging around for 2,000 years doing...apparently nothing about the Templars or the pieces of Eden. Then she hands it off to Layla who drops it and dies a couple years later.

It's like Ubisoft keeps writing cheat codes into the franchise and then tries to write them out. It just doesn't work for me.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The modern-day stuff is great and I'd be really upset if they ditched it. I love how experimental they've been with it. Hopefully we're about to get another twist on it.

i havent really played any of these games since 2, is there still some kind of interconnected story or did they give up on that?

There was one storyline that kinda ended in Assassin's Creed III, then they meandered for a couple of games (in some interesting ways) before starting another one in Origins. I believe that one is still playing out, though there was none of it in Mirage.

Just make it completely optional for the few people that still care about the modern day story.

I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing. The individual games won't have any modern-day stuff, but Infinity will.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Personally, I'd say that giving Kassandra the staff of immortality was a mistake. She appears during the events of Valhalla, and that's about it. Otherwise, she's hanging around for 2,000 years doing...apparently nothing about the Templars or the pieces of Eden. Then she hands it off to Layla who drops it and dies a couple years later.

It's like Ubisoft keeps writing cheat codes into the franchise and then tries to write them out. It just doesn't work for me.
She also showed up in Jade, so they are probably planning on having her be a recurring minor character in AC going forward. At the very least you can absolutely bet she is showing up in Shadows, one way or another, Odyssey team being the devs.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Fucking none. I was sick of it by the end of the Assassin's Creed Odyssey Atlantis DLC. If it's there, it should be optional.

ZodiacWolve

May 22, 2022
Keep it to a minimal. But I gotta know where the modern day stuff with Basim at the end of Valhalla will lead to.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
It should be a full 50 percent because finally making AC Japan and then pulling you out of it for extended periods would be the funniest and most Ubisoft decision they could make.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
10% modern day stuff with something to progress the conflict between Assassins and Templars.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Couldn't stand it from the beginning. By the time we got to IV (where I tapped out of the series), it already seemed like they were just going through the motions with the modern day stuff. Blows my mind that they're still doing it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I haven't played an AC game since Black Flag, but after they fumbled it in AC3, I want none of it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be happy with none. Maybe just some cutscenes that bookend the game would be good.

It's been nothing but an annoyance to me from the start. I never even liked the Desmond stuff.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly keep the Animus since it's important, but I want it to also be engaging. Unity and Syndicate are cases where the present day had a minimal presence in the story — also Mirage more recently — and I think it made those games less intriguing as a result. But then again, I haven't been nearly as invested in it since the Desmond days, and following Charlotte in the comics to a lesser extent.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Feels like they haven't done anything meaningful with it since the Ezio trilogy...like, more than a decade ago. So either get rid of the pre-tense or do something than just looking for relics or whatever crap it's been.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Just like the last few games, it will book end the story and contribute to less than 2% of the total playtime but contribute to 30% of the negative discourse about the game

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I want to go to modern day or the future is when they make an AC game with that as the main setting

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
You know what? Fuck it - bring back that giant suspended claw-animus from the Assassin's Creed movie. Show someone in modern Japan testing out the new Templar Robotics machine, and the twist in Act 3 is that you are no longer in the machine but as you're killing dudes in Ancient Japan, you're also murking someone in the modern day as an accidental Templar agent.