• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the look, but thematically this game seems right up my alley. The forearm to wrist portion of the crotch dude's armor look pretty rough, IMO.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
U think the crotch armor and bowling cut girl look good?
At least the mechs seem fine.
I genuinely think the armor looks fine lol. It's got this 'space ranger' aesthetic to it that I think looks cool. The buckle being sort of on his dick is funny but not some deal breaker.

As for Elise (bowling cut girl), I think her hair's kind of goofy but the overall look isn't terrible. I'm coming from a place of playing the ME trilogy dozens of times and getting characters looking this so maybe I'm more desensitized lol.

o6WNfLk.png

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely think the armor looks fine lol. It's got this 'space ranger' aesthetic to it that I think looks cool. The buckle being sort of on his dick is funny but not some deal breaker.

As for Elise (bowling cut girl), I think her hair's kind of goofy but the overall look isn't terrible. I mean we have Jack looking like this in ME and it was fine?

o6WNfLk.png

I mean am I suppose to be okay with a bad design because some other game had a bad character design? I don't see your point here. The post about the bowling cut lady looking like a goofy ass background npc from cyberpunk 2077 is so spot on lol.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Finally something that tries to fill the hole left by ME. If it's decent I'll definitely check it out.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
They recently put out another email extending sign ups for the Founder's Program, and also included a look at a new armor that players will get if they sign up, called the Traveler's Star Emblem. I'm starting to dig the aesthetic in general, it feels different than the more armor oriented designs from Mass Effect, though I'm sure there will likely be armor in this game too.

3gwXEaw.png
This guy supposed to have a pudgy ol belly?
as I guffaw in doritos

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The funny thing is, in the email they said the crotch badge was inspired by Matthew McConaughey.

giphy.gif

I'm not crazy about that particular getup but overall what I saw in the reveal trailer looked okay. The gameplay snippets kinda reminded me of Andromeda visually.

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
elise-casual-021324-1707859592.png

What is going on with that hair lol. The things protruding from the top of the mech is also reminding me of D.Va. Not really much in the bio to go off of besides her being sad about Earth.

They recently put out another email extending sign ups for the Founder's Program, and also included a look at a new armor that players will get if they sign up, called the Traveler's Star Emblem. I'm starting to dig the aesthetic in general, it feels different than the more armor oriented designs from Mass Effect, though I'm sure there will likely be armor in this game too.

3gwXEaw.png
Whoever approved these designs needs to be paid a monthly salary to stay away from video games.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
I can stand generic designs, but those are just ugly... Hope they reconsider going forward with that kind of artstyle, because I really can't see this doing well otherwise, people will compare it to Mass Effect, and that saga have so many really strong designs.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
New Q&A about more of the lore and effects of time dilation as you play. A lot of it is stuff covered before, but there's some bits too. Put together a little tl;dr, but link is here if you want to read through.

• Effects of time dilation can't be altered. Traveling at light speed for Jun, the protagonist, feels like days while decades/centuries pass for everyone else
  • "Gates of Heaven": A bit like Mass Relays from Mass Effect - built by the Elohim, who used to be the most powerful faction of Celestials in the galaxy, that have since disappeared
  • Some believe the Elohim are extinct, others that they've transcended physical form into beings of pure energy. And others believe they're still out there (likely will be a plot point)
  • "Frame Dreaming": Traveling through the gates can result in temporary strange visions or powerful emotional responses
  • One of the 'Laws of the Elohim' is that the gates aren't to be damaged or messed with, or else societies might face the wrath of the Elohim (if they still exist). The gates are so large and shielded that no current civilization can destroy them
  • Rumors that are dismissed talk of a techno-virus called "The Rot" say it's out there degrading the efficiency and reliability of gates in distant systems on the edge of the Centauri Cluster (likely to be another plot point)
  • Making the choice to use the gates WILL result in big changes that affect planets, cities, towns, characters, etc
  • Companions you leave behind could even die as they age much more rapidly back home while you're experiencing time dilation
  • You will always be aware of the amount of time that passes as it's related to the distance of where you go. For example, traveling to a star system 3 light years away and back, 6 years will pass for everyone back home, though only a few days pass for the player.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if this is executed well an Mass effect Andromeda done right with time as a resource literally affecting your travels it could be phenomenal. However, the concept seems like it will be wrapped in a loot grinding, collectathon live service elements which I hope given the pedigree of this team is so far removed from the truth.

Cause it looks fucking amazing, especially me over here dying with something to fill the Mass Effect void in my heart, and the next one apparently according to Duskgolem looking to target 2028?

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Their answer to the question about whether we can play as a non-human is interesting. Lots of ways to interpret it. Transcribed it:

Q: Will we be able to play as a non-human character?

A: "Great question. Umm, the answer's not trivial. It's actually a bit of yes and no. We're super excited about some of the things that you're going to be able to do as a player, but because of that, we're not going to reveal the details for a little while ahead of us."

Gemini-Stone

Dec 12, 2021
Honestly if this is executed well an Mass effect Andromeda done right with time as a resource literally affecting your travels it could be phenomenal. However, the concept seems like it will be wrapped in a loot grinding, collectathon live service elements which I hope given the pedigree of this team is so far removed from the truth.

Cause it looks fucking amazing, especially me over here dying with something to fill the Mass Effect void in my heart, and the next one apparently according to Duskgolem looking to target 2028?
It's not a live service. It's a single-player RPG, which I believe they've been touting since the studio was announced back in 2020.

Gemini-Stone

Dec 12, 2021
Something I really like is the idea of Celestials being descended from awakened Earth animals.

Looking forward to the possibility of seeing species descended from octopi, or pigs (maybe even birds?)

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Something I really like is the idea of Celestials being descended from awakened Earth animals.

Looking forward to the possibility of seeing species descended from octopi, or pigs (maybe even birds?)
The Celestials aren't descended from Earth animals. They're descended from humans that traveled to Centauri and evolved into different alien races over 25,000-30,000+ years. They're collectively known as Celestials.

From the Q&A, there's also a bunch of creatures that also evolved from the Awakened animals into other beings too. Not sure if they're also considered 'celestials', but mainly the Celestials are aliens descended from humans, at least according to the website.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
All of Hamilton's books are door stoppers lol. But yeah with an exact page count, this books is ready to go. I wonder if that date aligns with their original target date for the game (probably intended for slightly before the game)? Otherwise I'm not sure why you sit on it, but maybe that's just because I don't know anything about the publishing world and they need X books in X quarter or whatever.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Hamilton's books are massive because the scope of the stories in them are sprawling, and he goes into length to make sure that the technology really fits with how humans adapted to it. This makes the books wordy, but it also makes everything in the book more human and relatable.

Anyway, big fan, will buy the book and the game no questions asked.

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
All of Hamilton's books are door stoppers lol.
true!
long live bonded concrete

Hamilton's books are massive because the scope of the stories in them are sprawling, and he goes into length to make sure that the technology really fits with how humans adapted to it. This makes the books wordy, but it also makes everything in the book more human and relatable.

Anyway, big fan, will buy the book and the game no questions asked.
long live bonded concrete

I wonder if that date aligns with their original target date for the game (probably intended for slightly before the game)? Otherwise I'm not sure why you sit on it, but maybe that's just because I don't know anything about the publishing world and they need X books in X quarter or whatever.

not sure on original target date (this game or mass effect) but i wanna say the first mass effect book by drew came out ~6 months before me1 release?
different authors and different length books/novels but extrapolation could be fair?

so 6 months out from hamilton's book would be march'ish of 2025…
does that seem a "possible" window for game release date?
if so, then things look to be possibly tracking as scheduled/planned.

i haven't been keeping up on how the game development is progressing for this game other than the occasional popping in to this thread.
apologize if most of this has been answered somewhere and i'm just ignorant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
oh, totally missed Hamilton's involvement. Nice, might get that book. Havent read most of his latest work since I found it to just all to be a bit too much of the same at some points, but I enjoyed a lot of his stuff. Alastair Reynolds is still my favorite sci-fi writer tho :o

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's funny that even though I absolutely adore the Mass Effect universe with all my heart I never read the books. I did start one a long time ago but that's it.

I might read this one though, as it comes out before the game. I can't say I'm particular excited about the game but I did like the stuff I've been reading. And I'll look kindly to games developed by anyone who worked in Mass Effect.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that even though I absolutely adore the Mass Effect universe with all my heart I never read the books. I did start one a long time ago but that's it.

I might read this one though, as it comes out before the game. I can't say I'm particular excited about the game but I did like the stuff I've been reading. And I'll look kindly to games developed by anyone who worked in Mass Effect.
The graphic novels aren't too bad either

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Just now I randomly visited Peter F. Hamilton goodreads page to see if there's any news on Salvation sequels, and found out he is writing a chonky book set in the Exodus video game universe. That's a nice surprise!

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I liked their initial conceptual video, but every single update after that I'm disliking the art direction more and more.

It looks "sterile"? Mobile-game like?
Could just be the artwork style? I don't know, but looking at the in-game footage, it looks normal to me? Definitely not 'mobile like'. Honestly if I had a completely blank slate and someone said this is ME5, I could believe it.

6FfaDu5.png

YXUVw5n.png

nmuvJxe.png

BihH0zn.png