Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-2-1536x864.jpg

Middle Eastern gamers can no longer pre-order Marvel's Spider-Man 2 on the PlayStation store. The pre-order option was removed merely hours after the game went live on the PSN store pages in the region. The Digital Deluxe Edition as well as age ratings, price, and release date can't be viewed any longer too. Fans speculate that the game has been banned in the respective regions due to Middle East's laws regarding LGBTQ+.

Unlike the UK and USA PSN stores where you can view the release date and age ratings up front, the Middle Eastern stores only show "announced" for the game and no further information. The release date is also said to be determined yet on the respective pages when the original worldwide release date has been set to October 20. Most recently, the age ratings have been erased.

Spider-Man-2-on-PSN-store-in-Middle-East-via-Reddit.jpg

Fans all through the Middle East including UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Kuwait are facing the issue and have been contacting their respective support centers ever since. The most common theory among fans is that the game is probably being canceled for the inclusion of some LGBTQ+ content that the directors cannot remove. It is speculated to be Felicia Hardy, AKA Black Cat's cameo who is bisexual in the comics.

More at Exputer: https://exputer.com/news/games/spider-man-2-banned-middle-east/

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
So someone is LGBTQ then I take it? If so I hope they dont make a region specific version (if thats even a thing Sony does).

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Were there any queer characters in the first game or Miles Morales? I know there's the Pride flag you can find. Maybe they doubled down and have a whole mural.

The other thing to cross my mind is Black Cat being bi, but after the DLC I do not want to see Insomniac trying to write her again. *shudders*

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Were there any queer characters in the first game or Miles Morales? I know there's the Pride flag you can find. Maybe they doubled down and have a whole mural.

The other thing to cross my mind is Black Cat being bi, but after the DLC I do not want to see Insomniac trying to write her again. *shudders*
Gloria a character from Miles Morales is lesbian.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Same shit with Last of Us Part II and FFXVI. I hate to see this, but I'm glad big publishers aren't editing down their games like Hollywood movies have been.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

kenjieno

User requested ban
Banned
May 31, 2023
Final Fantasy 16 was already banned this year in Saudi Arabia. Is it easy for players to buy these games anyway? Anyone from the region could explain how players can circumvent this?

Also, Middle East is a bit vague. What countries are we talking about?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Was the first game banned there simply because of Black Cat's inclusion?

I don't think that aspect of her character in the comics is very well known, so perhaps this means it would highlighted in the game?

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Sony games must be in a tough spot there then. Spider-Man, TLOU2, Horizon,....
SIE is one of the most pro LGBTQ+ publishers out there.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
In the first game they censored the pride flags in the Middle Eastern release by replacing them with American flags. Maybe they're refusing to censor them this time?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People were saying Harry was giving big twink energy in the trailer..

Also it goes without saying: fuck these countries and fuck any company that edits their content to sell to them. LGBTQ+ people are not a difference of opinion, we are not something unfavourable that should just be excluded to appeal to bigots and we certainly should not be criminalised or executed anywhere in the world for simply existing and any country or culture that does this is disgusting and backwards.

Last edited:

kenjieno

User requested ban
Banned
May 31, 2023
People were saying Harry was giving big twink energy in the trailer..

Also it goes without saying: fuck these countries and fuck any company that edits their content to sell to them. LGBTQ+ people are not a difference of opinion, we are not something unfavourable that should just be excluded to appeal to bigots and we certainly should not be criminalised or executed anywhere in the world for simply existing and any country or culture that does this is disgusting and backwards.
👏

I get honestly upset when I read how movies with anything gay are heavily edited to be released in, say, China, because they're a massive market. I wish western companies would just not edit and either release or not. But money speaks louder I guess.

I prefer to see these titles banned than censored/edited. You get us as a whole or you just don't.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 16 was already banned this year in Saudi Arabia. Is it easy for players to buy these games anyway? Anyone from the region could explain how players can circumvent this?
Unless things have changed significantly in the past few years, it's still pretty easy to buy banned games. Smaller stores often have a stash hidden in the back, but it may cost a bit more depending on how it was imported. (Though not too different from the already hugely upmarked price.) That's how I bought games like GTA back in the day. Some countries may be stricter than others, though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

For digital purchases, there is no kind of ip check, so it's relatively easy to just create another account for another region.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

What was wrong with black cat in the dlc?

kenjieno

User requested ban
Banned
May 31, 2023
Unless things have changed significantly in the past few years, it's still pretty easy to buy banned games. Smaller stores often have a stash hidden in the back, but it may cost a bit more depending on how it was imported. (Though not too different from the already hugely upmarked price.) That's how I bought games like GTA back in the day. Some countries may be stricter than others, though.
That's great to know, thanks.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Many people have US PSN accounts to buy banned games from. Its very easy and almost everyone do it. The "hardcore" gamers at least.
I made a US account to buy and play TLOU2.