• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Extreme sports games. Comeback or stay dead?

• Yes

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Back during the 5th and 6th console generation, extreme sports games were everywhere. Nowadays not so much.

I miss EA's SSX, Sony's atv off-road fury and jet moto, Activision's tony hawk's pro skater, and Nintendo's Wave race and Excitebike or even Sega's top skater.

Although the recent Tony hawk 5 and 2012's SSX reboot weren't that great, I hope they both get another shot one day.

Anyone else wish the genre would make a comeback?

Yay or nay.
hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_nyloosXGv81skasmxo1_540.gif

giphy.gif

ssx.gif

waverace1.jpg

atv2_051902_3.jpg

PS_WiiUVC_Excitebike.png

Last edited:

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
SSX Tricky and 3 are some of the GOATs, so I'd love for them to make a comeback in theory. In practice, I think a lot of western developers have either forgotten how to make, or simply lost interest in making these kinds of crazy nonsensical sports games.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I hate sports games in general, but Extreme Sports are the only ones I've ever played, so I think they're due a real comeback.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. Switch is a perfect platform for these Extreme Sports type games. Pick up and play.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Jet Moto
Mutant League Football
Road Rash
Cool Boarders / SSX
Jet Set Radio
NBA JAM
NFL Blitz

RIP all (well, Mutant Football Leauge exists and is basically Blitz...)

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
THPS1 to 4 were some of my most binged for years. Still play them emulated often.

They also contain some of the best licensed music tracks in gaming ever.

Also kind of like a fake one but Jet Moto if it could retain the same feel.... damn that would be such a sick game on today's hardware.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
A new Excitebike would be fun. Loved being able to make my own courses. I wish they'd add this to Mario Kart actually.

Skate or Die would be a great game to revive. Like an open world skateboard adventure. I can remember playing the one on NES and shooting people at the mall with a paintball gun... Or the one on Gameboy where you can skate on the moon.

But, sadly I think as people lead more sedentary lifestyles like the trend is going most of these sports are pretty much dead.