Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Actually pretty interesting that Factorio has such a large trans community. Not really the kind of game where you'd immediately think "Oh yeah, I could see the trans community become drawn to this!" so really interesting to hear.
I don't get it personally but as someone who's Twitter is just to follow visible trans and trans adjacent people (and my pot guy because he followed me) it shows up a damned lot as something people are playing. Doesn't hurt that one of the most visible trans content creators who mostly does indie games and curated content on steam is Casey Explosion who really loves the game. In fact it was because of Slothmom I already saw this whole Drama on Twitter.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of people STILL think "cancel culture" is a thing? Damn, these people are morons.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people go this route instead of just reading the comment bringing the thing to their attention and then making an edit or new tweet or whatever along the lines of "we've been made aware of x views/behaviour and do not endorse or condone it at all.".

Instead they always just double down on it so it goes from them being unaware into them digging into not caring and it's actually good they are vile people because of reasons.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wait is my boy arguing that there is nothing wrong with promoting a bigot because you should be able to ignore that part and should??? Yeh let's not give bigots more success you fucking dumb shit.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I just don't understand why the dev went to ham right from the get go. The OP just asked to a disclaimer and they answered in such a rude manner and then proceed to dig themselves a hole quite quickly. And from that twitter follow up, I assume they will keep their stance. A shame, since this is one of the biggest indie games in the past few years.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Not knowing something isn't a sin, it happens to all of us all the time. I had no idea who Uncle Bob is before this thread. But being hostile to others (without a VERY good reason) is a sin. All of this controversy could have been avoided but you, a public figure, just had to start attacking others.

So here is my social interaction tip #1: if you feel like attacking someone... don't.

It's a very simple and easy tip to follow, yet so many big personalities seem to be failing at this.

Last edited:

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I just don't understand why the dev went to ham right from the get go. The OP just asked to a disclaimer and they answered in such a rude manner and then proceed to dig themselves a hole quite quickly. And from that twitter follow up, I assume they will keep their stance. A shame, since this is one of the biggest indie games in the past few years.
He probably is aware of what the guy has done, and at least partially agrees with it. It wasn't just an attack on this other guy, it was an attack on his own views. And he reacted with extreme anger to that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought this was like, Uncle Bob was a part of their staff and Stalin's BFF just didn't want to erode his company culture. But Uncle Bob is completely unrelated? He's just someone they brought up? He was just referencing him as an example to talk about something else?

If I go, like, "I found this cool video on YouTube" and someone tells me "you might want to know that guy is a shitbag", my reaction is "oh how about that". I don't have a relationship with some asshole because I linked one of his YouTube videos.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
is this classic militant programmer brain? i argue only objective facts brain? whatever it is its real dumb

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit, this is such a big disappointment. The game is an all time great, but this is just disgusting.

WTF

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Damn. He got so hostile right away with a community member who was incredibly polite and well spoken about what the issue was.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till you see his opinion on statutory rape.

E4NIMPmXIAgqtLD

Apr 2, 2021
I don't get why people go this route instead of just reading the comment bringing the thing to their attention and then making an edit or new tweet or whatever along the lines of "we've been made aware of x views/behaviour and do not endorse or condone it at all.".

Instead they always just double down on it so it goes from them being unaware into them digging into not caring and it's actually good they are vile people because of reasons.

Yeah seriously. He wouldn't even need to remove the reference to the guy. Just edit the post and mention the problem, and then people can choose what to do with that information. I do believe that art can be separated from the artist and that art that is problematic can still have redeeming values, but willfully ignoring facts is stupid, and it certainly isn't principled like this guy thinks.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

that's what I don't get. even if he believed whatever garbage he believes, it's an objectively terrible response and he just comes off as a screaming baby. it's so easy to just say 'yeah I didn't know that I don't endorse his views' and 99.999% of people will forget about it in a week, and you didn't have even have to change your blog or anything just respond to that one comment on reddit.

now you're actively being moderated on your own games subreddit for being a dick

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Holy shit that's like really bad, damn.

Also, I don't play Factorio at all and am an ignorant fool about the game, but the part of "a good chunk of the game's fan base is trans" stood out to me and I'm curious about that after reading what one of the founders has been saying. Is there a specific reason a bunch of trans people play and like Factorio to where they supposedly make up a sizable chunk of the fanbase?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
that's what I don't get. even if he believed whatever garbage he believes, it's an objectively terrible response and he just comes off as a screaming baby. it's so easy to just say 'yeah I didn't know that I don't endorse his views' and 99.999% of people will forget about it in a week, and you didn't have even have to change your blog or anything just respond to that one comment on reddit.

now you're actively being moderated on your own games subreddit for being a dick
Honestly, between this and the other thing, I wonder if he instinctively responds to any attempt to address problematic behaviour as if it's a threat to investigate the contents of his computer.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently I've had this on my Steam wishlist since April 2017. Removed.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

Because he does condone AND endorse it. So, he's mad that people find it repugnant because he knows they find *him* repugnant by proxy.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean take your cancel culture and shove it up your ass AND is that a new SJW term?

Pretty open and shut case. Dudes a chud. Sorry Factorio fans.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Don't give a shit about Factorio. But I'm super disappointed to find out Uncle Bob is an asshole. I've learned so much from him...

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't give a shit about Factorio. But I'm super disappointed to find out Uncle Bob is an asshole. I've learned so much from him...
You can learn a lot from a person and acknowledge they suck.

I think that all really needed to happen here. "We acknowledge that Uncle Bob is a shit heel and we disagree with his political views but we think his lessons on coding are extremely important". A disclaimer would be nice. But nooooo. They had to double down.

Guess Factorio gets thrown in the avoid box with the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.