• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/projectbook/180724/3
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/2...-to-nintendo-explains-why-they-went-with-psp/

In response to Japanese online trolls saying Falcom hates Nintendo, Kondo reveals they once visited Nintendo for approval to develop a menu driven Ys RPG for the DS.

近藤氏:
結果としては、僕らは「良かったな」と思っています。ただ、京都に行ったときはコマンドRPGタイプの『イース』の企画書を新たに書いて持って行ったんですよ。それが実現できなかったのは残念でしたけれど……。
そこまでやっているのに何で「ファルコムが嫌ってる」って言われなきゃいけないの? という(笑)。
Toshihiro Kondo: As a result, I believe we felt that "it went well." However, when we visited Kyoto that time, we went with newly written plans for a command-based RPG type of Ys game. It's a shame that we couldn't make it happen… So we went that far and still had to be told "Falcom is hating"? [laughs]

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Falcom hates Nintendo?
I always thought they were super small and had to be careful with how they prioritize resources.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh, what a shame. I love playing RPGs on the DSi / 3Ds, the simply have a "feel" to them that other games in other consoles lack.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
User Warned: Port begging
Fine, they don't hate Nintendo.

Now can I have Ys: Memories of Celceta, Trails of Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu on Switch please?

EDIT: I didn't think the /s was needed...

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really trolling if the response was falcom tried to make a game for a nintendo platform?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so they admit they were part of the Nintendo is Kiddy mentality/movement
I think their answer isn't that good considering other DS RPGs were doing well, but this isn't exactly what they truly said. They just thought more of their audience would be on PSP, another big system. No big deal (and the games sold well).

Oct 25, 2017
"from a certain message board" Were they talking about old place? Or was that response from a strictly japanese point of view?

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Missed opportunity. Can you imagine how huge Ys series would be right now? Thankfully Ys is on Switch right now, so not too late.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DS statement is odd to me. DS had a wide range of ages playing the system and JRPGs were doing good.

Though the DS did at least get Ys Book 1 & 2.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Ehhhh, Ys is best staying as an action RPG. Make something new if you want command based.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Since YS8 is seemingly doing well it'd be cool if NISA brings Sen 3 & 4 to Nintendo Switch as well!

Maybe even Sen 1 & 2 Kai to familiarize the audience.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom hates Nintendo?
I always thought they were super small and had to be careful with how they prioritize resources.
Based on what I have read from Falcom, my understanding has always been that they just don't see Nintendo platforms are a good fit for their games vs Sony platforms.

Of course now they have the success of YS on Switch to look at, though I doubt it will change their minds any.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Labor laws what are those?

Seriously falcom employees must be working mangaka esque hours for the insane stories they write.
Y2knEbN.jpg

Their output from ~2000 to 2011 was obscene in terms of quality and quantity.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I have read from Falcom, my understanding has always been that they just don't see Nintendo platforms are a good fit for their games vs Sony platforms.

Of course now they have the success of YS on Switch to look at, though I doubt it will change their minds any.
Falcom needs a new revenue stream now that the Vita is dead worldwide.

The western PC audience isn't as receptive to their full priced games as the consoles one and from what we can see so far, the Switch one (it seems JRPGs sell best on Switch in the west compared to PS4 by a significant margin)

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/projectbook/180724/3
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/2...-to-nintendo-explains-why-they-went-with-psp/

In response to Japanese online trolls saying Falcom hates Nintendo, Kondo reveals they once visited Nintendo for approval to develop a menu driven Ys RPG for the DS.
Looked at the article, I guess it's just something that didn't work out internally? Isn't even them specifically spurring Nintendo or vice versa, just "they had an idea, but it never got off the ground."

But wow, I'm sure that'd REALLY set off the people who didn't like the Kiseki-fying of Ys! Hell, I have to admit that isn't really what I'd want out of Ys, especially if it ended up being Ys VII but with a Kiseki battle system. Or even just another command based system really.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you know this, but Falcom didnt develop that...so not at all like Ys Strategy. I'm sure it would have been good, had it happened.

On topic, I think speculation that "Falcom hates Nintendo" is dumb. They are a small company of about 50 employees, so they are very resource constrained and out out games at a pretty rapid pace already. In the early 2000's they developed mainly for PC, but that didnt mean they hated Sony. They go where they think their market will be.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Looked at the article, I guess it's just something that didn't work out internally? Isn't even them specifically spurring Nintendo or vice versa, just "they had an idea, but it never got off the ground."

But wow, I'm sure that'd REALLY set off the people who didn't like the Kiseki-fying of Ys! Hell, I have to admit that isn't really what I'd want out of Ys, especially if it ended up being Ys VII but with a Kiseki battle system. Or even just another command based system really.

As much as I hate the modern Ys games for getting bogged down in boring stories with bland characters with inferior combat systems. I'd probably be more receptive to a spin off with a different combat system that had a larger focus on story and characters.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I hate the modern Ys games for getting bogged down in boring stories with bland characters with inferior combat systems. I'd probably be more receptive to a spin off with a different combat system that had a larger focus on story and characters.
True. I'm just imagining them converting Ys VII to this or something (and given the heavier story focus/multiple characters it actually seems plausible!) and... yeah, that probably wouldn't be too hot.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I think their answer isn't that good considering other DS RPGs were doing well, but this isn't exactly what they truly said. They just thought more of their audience would be on PSP, another big system. No big deal (and the games sold well).
What really helped is that Falcom had a porting partner in Kure Software Koubou (themselves a staple of the Japanese PC fantasy wargame community), and KSK likely had more experience with porting to PSP in the mid-2000s when Falcom wanted to push the Trails games onto portables. So Falcom didn't have to dig around or pay extra for their port efforts so long as KSK wanted to take the contract. This company loves to squirrel away their savings because they're used to commercial drought like what happened at the tail-end of the Japanese PC era. Switching to primary development for Nintendo consoles would mean taking big risks to interact with Nintendo, learn new SDKs and methods, etc.

Seriously falcom employees must be working mangaka esque hours for the insane stories they write.
Falcom prefers to recruit die-hard fans who will go well beyond the minimum when developing games. Anyone who makes it through their strict interview process has the chance to write, program, and visualize any odd part of an upcoming game because of Falcom's open-contribution system. It's likely the case that anyone credited to a set position in the credits roll did mostly that while adding little bits here and there.

Falcom owns the localizations, so if NISA wanted they could reléase games that were localized by XSEED
By the same token, XSEED's able to port whichever Falcom game has an English loc. NISA worked hard to get full platform coverage for Ys VIII and deny any competitors the chance to bring that release elsewhere with Falcom's patronage. I wouldn't be surprised if XSEED's initial Falcom releases on Switch focus on the PC heavy-hitters.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Falcom hates Nintendo?
That's not sensationalist enough.

Ehhhh, Ys is best staying as an action RPG. Make something new if you want command based.
I can see them experimenting with systems like that for the Tokyo Xanadu sequel, it still has room for distinction compares to Ys and Kiseki both.
Since YS8 is seemingly doing well it'd be cool if NISA brings Sen 3 & 4 to Nintendo Switch as well!

Maybe even Sen 1 & 2 Kai to familiarize the audience.
You can troll better.
Yeah, to put it into perspective, Falcom had 49 employees in 2016.

The company that puts out a huge, meaty JRPG every single year.
They currently have 55 employees which seems to be their highest ever. I can see them breaking 60 in a few years even.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Bad business decision to not release such a game?

DS niche jRPGs sales in its heydays were pretty good in the US. Something like Knights of Nightmare did close to 50k.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Any Falcom business decision making back then and even today are centered around their sales potential in Japan.

Even today, 75% of their business revenue are derived from local Japanese sales, and it's clearly way more skewed prior to the broader expansion of their products in Steam/etc via the western publishing partners.