• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I fucked up and am one of those players. I deluded myself into thinking mods could fix things. 734+ mods installed later and I gave up playing after a couple hours. Bad Fallout, decent looter shooter.

But, then I reinstalled New Vegas and about 300+ mods later and I'm hours and hours deep playing. Fuck what a good game.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have never played fallout. But the show is so good that I am now interested in its world. How's new Vegas in 2024 for a new player ???
It's so cheap and going to be perfect on my steam deck oled.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I fucked up and am one of those players. I deluded myself into thinking mods could fix things. 734+ mods installed later and I gave up playing after a couple hours. Bad Fallout, decent looter shooter.

But, then I reinstalled New Vegas and about 300+ mods later and I'm hours and hours deep playing. Fuck what a good game.
I installed and got about an hour into 4 last week before stopping. I really don't know what it is about that one that just doesn't inspire me to play.

Tried 76 the other day and played for hours.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I installed and got about an hour into 4 last week before stopping. I really don't know what it is about that one that just doesn't inspire me to play.

Tried 76 the other day and played for hours.

Never played 76, but Fallout 4 just has an awful, nonsense story. Zero roleplay. REALLY pushes you to build settlements and make the game Minecraft. And generally there is nothing interesting going on in that world, pretty much everyone is just shooting at you for no reason and there is little, actual interesting side content to be had.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Never played 76, but Fallout 4 just has an awful, nonsense story. Zero roleplay. REALLY pushes you to build settlements and make the game Minecraft. And generally there is nothing interesting going on in that world, pretty much everyone is just shooting at you for no reason and there is little actually interesting side content to be had.
I can't speak to 76 outdoing it in any of those elements, but it does easily outshine in presentation. There's a whimsy to it that I appreciate.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Yet another example of how a really good show can give your game a boost. Halo really screwed up here.

Oct 27, 2017
I hear nothing but good things about it, but I only ever got as far as Vegas strip my first time playing it and it wasn't really clicking with me. I think I was just burnt out on playing so much Fallout 3, so NV just felt too similar.

But now its been ages since I played a Bethesda-style RPG so it seemed like a good time to try it out again.

I remember that being the exact case with me back when New Vegas came out- I had played the crap out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas felt like kind of more of the same, so I was a little burned out but eventually got into it thanks to the better writing and role playing.

I kind of want to get back into Fallout 4, if only because I know I never finished it... although I think while the writing and role playing in New Vegas kept me going through that game, If I remember right, the mediocre writing and lack of actual dialogue checks/role playing options in Fallout 4 kind of caused me to fall off that game in the first place.

Or I reinstall New Vegas and get around to the DLC...

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I remember that being the exact case with me back when New Vegas came out- I had played the crap out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas felt like kind of more of the same, so I was a little burned out but eventually got into it thanks to the better writing and role playing.

I kind of want to get back into Fallout 4, if only because I know I never finished it... although I think while the writing and role playing in New Vegas kept me going through that game, If I remember right, the mediocre writing and lack of actual dialogue checks/role playing options in Fallout 4 kind of caused me to fall off that game in the first place.

Or I reinstall New Vegas and get around to the DLC...

Back in 2010 I bounced off NV after I got to NV as I think I'd played too much FO3! Returned to New Vegas a couple years later and ended up loving it.

For me it was solely the quality of the quests and the writing in NV that pulled me through as I found the world itself a big step back from FO3, whereas with BGS Fallout games the writing is not up to Obsidian's quality for sure but the strength of their world design pulls me through them.

I'd love Fallout 5 to be a collab between the two studios with Obsidian handling the writing/quest design and BGS doing the world design.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
It really really blows my mind that any new game iteration might be a damn decade away. No one at Microsoft or Bethesda was on their toes enough to think that it might be a priority in the midst of producing this incredibly high production value show?
I have been saying this for years prior to MS acquisition but there really needs to be a second main BGS studio or second team with the resources to handle a game in full production. Imagine how long it will be until a follow up to Starfield or a new IP!

Or honestly, let Obsidian do a Fallout game again

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I picked it up too as an impulse buy. Ten buckos is more than a fair price considering you get all of the DLC, and I haven't played any of the DLC anyway since I kind of bounced on it after launch. I'm still waiting to play it until when the new update drops though.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
So I'm planning to jump in when the upgrade releases next week… I have the PS4 version, I think maybe I got it from PS+ or something? Will I need to pay to upgrade to the new version?

Also the DLC season pass is on sale for £11.54, is it worth getting?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have been saying this for years prior to MS acquisition but there really needs to be a second main BGS studio or second team with the resources to handle a game in full production. Imagine how long it will be until a follow up to Starfield or a new IP!

Yeah, they 100% need to do this. Especially if they plan to make any sequels to Starfield too. Asking fans to wait like 15 years between games in one particular series is absurd.

The thing about Obsidian and inXile, is that they have their own franchises now - Wasteland and The Outer Worlds, that I suspect they like working on. They might not want to just make a game in someone else's universe any more. Obsidian aren't surviving project to project these days.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
So I'm planning to jump in when the upgrade releases next week… I have the PS4 version, I think maybe I got it from PS+ or something? Will I need to pay to upgrade to the new version?

Also the DLC season pass is on sale for £11.54, is it worth getting?

The Fallout 4 one? I would say that's worth it. Far Harbour is an excellent expansion, and the Nuka World one isn't bad either.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how New Vegas is higher than 3. Late redemption lol

Frankly, New Vegas getting more play than Fallout 3 is not a recent thing. It's been like this for a while, at least on PC. I always wondered what made people think that Fallout 3 remained more popular than New Vegas in the wake of Fallout 4's release and NV's overall community re-appraisal starting almost a decade ago.

Certainly didn't help that NV was the easier of the two games to play on PC, both in terms of features and functionality (ie the game running at all on certain versions of Windows, lol). So much so that the generally accepted best way to play Fallout 3 on PC has been to play it from within New Vegas for a while, lol.

That said, it's def worth mentioning that at least some of those New Vegas players are playing Fallout 3 via TTW, so the numbers don't tell the whole story alone. And I wouldn't be surprised to find that F3 has remained more competitive against NV on consoles, where the user experience isn't all that different.

Pound for pound, unquestionably, the best Fallout. Umbasa.

Absolutely not. It's def got its appeal, though. It's easy for me to give Fallout 4 the credit its due in hindsight, now that I've, well, played Starfield, lol. The settlement building is novel and provides a dope framework for mods to expand and deepen the game. The visuals and atmosphere have always been -dead on- for me, resembling old school Fallout CG to an extent that's just impressive. The gunplay and weapon modding systems are solid, and with a few tweaks to damage multipliers, Fallout 4 can become a well-balanced run-n-gun open world exploration game. And I'll always like that layered armor system - conceptually, it's one of the relatively few things about Fallout 4 that I think would improve Fallout 3 and New Vegas if implemented and balanced properly. And powered power armor w/frames and parts, and garages? Probably my single favorite thing about Fallout 4. The game has certainly got stuff.

There are aspects of each of the modern Fallout games that put them all up there for me and elevate them above most other open-world RPG and adventure games, in my book. Fallout 76's amazing world design, fun worldbuilding, and CAMP system. Fallout 3's thick immersive atmosphere and excellent score. New Vegas's unparalleled roleplaying and dynamic storytelling. I'm really glad that this show got me back into the Fallout mood, I could really install all four of those games right now and play at least a little of each of them and have a good time.

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

It's the only thing that draws me back to the Bethesda games is they really have great world design making it fun to explore. They always fumble the story though and have any consequences for your actions, wish I could marry the 2 to make the ultimate game. Even if they added the little things like having what your wearing matter and how people will treat you if you wear the wrong things like walking around in Caesar's Legion gear gets you attacked on sight by everybody. Shit like that makes the world feel real and reactive to what you do.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying Mass Effect right now otherwise I think I would be playing Fallout 4.

I nabbed the ME: Legendary Edition back when it launched and holy hell was it amazing going back through the trilogy remastered, uprezed and 120 fps.

Pure joy.

Also super-happy to see the Fallout 4 resurgence due to the show.

It's such a banger.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Frankly, New Vegas getting more play than Fallout 3 is not a recent thing. It's been like this for a while, at least on PC. I always wondered what made people think that Fallout 3 remained more popular than New Vegas in the wake of Fallout 4's release and NV's overall community re-appraisal starting almost a decade ago.

Certainly didn't help that NV was the easier of the two games to play on PC, both in terms of features and functionality (ie the game running at all on certain versions of Windows, lol). So much so that the generally accepted best way to play Fallout 3 on PC has been to play it from within New Vegas for a while, lol.

That said, it's def worth mentioning that at least some of those New Vegas players are playing Fallout 3 via TTW, so the numbers don't tell the whole story alone. And I wouldn't be surprised to find that F3 has remained more competitive against NV on consoles, where the user experience isn't all that different.

Absolutely not. It's def got its appeal, though. It's easy for me to give Fallout 4 the credit its due in hindsight, now that I've, well, played Starfield, lol. The settlement building is novel and provides a dope framework for mods to expand and deepen the game. The visuals and atmosphere have always been -dead on- for me, resembling old school Fallout CG to an extent that's just impressive. The gunplay and weapon modding systems are solid, and with a few tweaks to damage multipliers, Fallout 4 can become a well-balanced run-n-gun open world exploration game. And I'll always like that layered armor system - conceptually, it's one of the relatively few things about Fallout 4 that I think would improve Fallout 3 and New Vegas if implemented and balanced properly. And powered power armor w/frames and parts, and garages? Probably my single favorite thing about Fallout 4. The game has certainly got stuff.

There are aspects of each of the modern Fallout games that put them all up there for me and elevate them above most other open-world RPG and adventure games, in my book. Fallout 76's amazing world design, fun worldbuilding, and CAMP system. Fallout 3's thick immersive atmosphere and excellent score. New Vegas's unparalleled roleplaying and dynamic storytelling. I'm really glad that this show got me back into the Fallout mood, I could really install all four of those games right now and play at least a little of each of them and have a good time.

I agree with what you are saying, but if you broke the whole franchise down to 5 elements, 4 would get 3 out of 5 every time. If that makes sense.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Pound for pound, unquestionably, the best Fallout. Umbasa.

I've come to the point where I agree with this. For a while Fallout 3's setting was stronger, but after being to Boston a few times and going to Bar Harbor a couple times I think I prefer 4's setting now.

Like little stuff like the land bridge being just north of Far Harbor going to Old Longfellow's house on an island gave me a big smile (they don't even label it).

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played a Fallout game before and just bought this for my Deck due to the sale. Not a huge fan of RPG games just want a fun, addictive and immersive game without too much in the way of complications. Hope I enjoy this! Any tips for a total newbie?