• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know how much of a celebration you should be having if the only way you're capitalizing on a monstrous show success is putting a nine year old game old sale for $5

That sounds like a pretty damn big ball got dropped
I get why and I know how that's not how game development works in 2024 but taking a step back, it's still sort of insane to me they couldn't align any new game with the release of the show.

Jan 20, 2024
Wonder if this might spur Bethseda to spin off Fallout 5 development to another studio. Or maybe even have another team make a bridge game, like a sequel to New Vegas

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
If they can do an Elder Scrolls show with the Fallout level of adaption quality...
That is so much harder to do IMO

Fallout has normal-ish people trying to survive an apocalypse which has been done a lot so audiences are receptive to it

Elder Scrolls is fantasy-ass fantasy and that has only really been done right a couple of times IMO. The odds of that being successful is much much lower than a Fallout tv show. TBH I feel similarly about Zelda but even that has a higher chance because its not LOTR style fantasy

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
If they can do an Elder Scrolls show with the Fallout level of adaption quality...
Not going to happen for the same reason the FFXIV live adaptation got cancelled.

It will cost too much money to get it done right there's way too much assets that would need to be built because of the game's fantasy setting.

Jul 30, 2023
I'd love to be able to just flick on my PS5 and replay FO3 and NV, but I know that'll never happen.

So while I'm glad to see the franchise getting this amount of exposure at the moment, I also know that this will probably blow over shortly, and ultimately lead to nothing new in the near future beyond the recent release of the TV series.

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
Iirc district 9 was made with the discarded parts of a Spielberg produced halo movie that never finished
That project was not involved with Spielberg. Peter Jackson was producing that initial tentative Halo movie with Neil Blomkamp directing, and they planned on covering the same events as the main games (Halo 1-3). Jackson's WETA Studio did months of preproduction, which then went into District 9, also produced by Jackson and directed by Blomkamp.

After that failed, Spielberg was going to adapt the novels instead of the games and was in talks with DreamWorks. That project also fell through, but Spielberg actually did oversee the Paramount Halo TV series that we got using 'lessons' from his failed project.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to be able to just flick on my PS5 and replay FO3 and NV, but I know that'll never happen.

So while I'm glad to see the franchise getting this amount of exposure at the moment, I also know that this will probably blow over shortly, and ultimately lead to nothing new in the near future beyond the recent release of the TV series.

Maybe I missed something in this thread... but you can do that.

I'm messing with FO3 right now ..and New Vegas is there. Both through PS3 streaming, if you have Premium.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
Wonder if this might spur Bethseda to spin off Fallout 5 development to another studio. Or maybe even have another team make a bridge game, like a sequel to New Vegas

I'd love it - Starfield really killed any desire I have to play another Bethesda game until they shake things up on the writing side (and not a fan of the basebuilding stuff either honestly).

I doubt it will happen with mainline Fallout. But I'd be extremely excited if they let another studio take a crack at a game in the style of Fallout 1/2 - I can dream at least.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't even trust Bethesda to give the Fallout IP the respect and care it deserves anymore.

I'd rather them give it to another, talented studio while they work on Elder Scrolls (which I have no real interest in).

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
I wonder how long we're going to have to wait for something new
6-10 years! Assuming Bethesda isn't doing earnest overlap development between ES6 and FO5.

Maybe Microsoft makes them outsource either a spinoff (New Vegas 2) or remake (New Vegas, FO3) to another studio. I think Microsoft would have to be dumb not to cash in on the show's popularity. If the rumored FO3 remaster is real, this is the time to show it.

PleaseBeKind

Oct 31, 2023
I get why and I know how that's not how game development works in 2024 but taking a step back, it's still sort of insane to me they couldn't align any new game with the release of the show.
Maybe they didn't expect the success this show had, like many other Amazon adaptations or the Halo TV show had.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
sJSsAmZ.jpeg

Fallout 3 and New Vegas deserve that spot more!
Fallout 1 and 2 deserve to be in the top 10!

Blessing and a curse in a way. Fallout 4 is the most casual entry, so maybe all these new players won't get scared away instantly lol

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 is great, glad more people are getting to enjoy it! I like 3 more, but it's a bitch to run on anything that isn't XBox.

Jul 30, 2023
Maybe I missed something in this thread... but you can do that.

I'm messing with FO3 right now ..and New Vegas is there. Both through PS3 streaming, if you have Premium.
That's fine and all, but I've never found that system to be all that smooth in my experience. Would much prefer native ports/backwards compatability like the Series X has available, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Watching the show definitely renewed my interest to go back to Fallout 4 and go through all the DLC I bought for it years ago but never actually played.

Wound up reinstalling it the other day but didn't it make it out of the intro. Part of it is wanting to wait a bit to see how the mod scene plays out for this new version, but the main thing is I don't really have time to get into another big RPG right now. I'm knee deep in Baldurs Gate 3 and FFVII Rebirth at the moment and probably will be playing both for quite some time yet.

Have to say when 2024 started didn't think this would be the year I'd be contemplating playing Fallout 4 again lol.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
As always the boards and CEOs will get the wrong message that people want tv shows based on games. Then release whatever crap they pay for and decide that now people don't care about tv shows based on games.

This is a good tv show and this is what people want.

Mar 17, 2019
Cued up Fallout 4 as I'm too skint to buy any new games after finishing BG3, then skimmed through a couple of guides. Deleted it about 20 minutes after downloading it once I remembered the base building, never mind the other stuff.

Nov 8, 2017
That is so much harder to do IMO

Fallout has normal-ish people trying to survive an apocalypse which has been done a lot so audiences are receptive to it

Elder Scrolls is fantasy-ass fantasy and that has only really been done right a couple of times IMO. The odds of that being successful is much much lower than a Fallout tv show. TBH I feel similarly about Zelda but even that has a higher chance because its not LOTR style fantasy

I think it's not so much whether you can do an enjoyable fantasy show or movie (this has been done quite a few times at varying budget tiers from sub-cw up to hbo) but whether you can pull it off while channelling the feel and aesthetics of the games.

I do agree that it is a harder pitch than Fallout; it doesn't have a specific evocative aesthetic that helps it stand out from its genre fare.

Dec 5, 2017
Cued up Fallout 4 as I'm too skint to buy any new games after finishing BG3, then skimmed through a couple of guides. Deleted it about 20 minutes after downloading it once I remembered the base building, never mind the other stuff.
The base building is basically entirely optional and not even optimal to engage with other than 1 part of the main quest that only requires you build less than 5 objects.

TommyTheGunn

Apr 18, 2024
I've only played 3 back to front when it was released and after the show i've got the bug so i've installed 3, NV and 4 to keep the hype going

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
sJSsAmZ.jpeg

Fallout 3 and New Vegas deserve that spot more!
Fallout 1 and 2 deserve to be in the top 10!

Blessing and a curse in a way. Fallout 4 is the most casual entry, so maybe all these new players won't get scared away instantly lol

My condolences to all the New Vegas fans who have to hear people talk about a different Fallout game.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
FO4 is fucking amazing (especially survival mode) I legit don't understand people who go "it's the worst one" when it's the best one, but then I like liking things even if they're also popular
The story and dialogue are terrible. Several rungs lower than even Fallout 3.

That being said I'd take Fallout 4 over Starfield any day of the week.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Been playing Fallout 4 on Series X with FPS boost. It feels really good to play, and still looks pretty good.

It's just a shame the achievements are still broken for all X-Box players. I don't really care about achievements/trophies, but strangely it's still bugging me know they're not unlocking.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, part of the problem. Though I think I'll play New Vegas first on pc, then Fallout 4 on PS5 - I should have it from Plus or something. And in a year or so I should be done with NV 🤣

First I have to decide which mods to get and find out if I had a nexus mod acc before, it says my username is already claimed. That's how I ended up here, thanks to the NV comments picked up by the Era search.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think it's not so much whether you can do an enjoyable fantasy show or movie (this has been done quite a few times at varying budget tiers from sub-cw up to hbo) but whether you can pull it off while channelling the feel and aesthetics of the games.

I do agree that it is a harder pitch than Fallout; it doesn't have a specific evocative aesthetic that helps it stand out from its genre fare.
As good as the Fallout show is, I feel like an Elder Scrolls show would be pretty dire. LOTR was lightning in a bottle. The latest D&D movie only succeeded critically because they leaned entirely into comedy and the comedy in ES games usually just comes from physics.

thepiratejay

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Fallout 4 is great, glad more people are getting to enjoy it! I like 3 more, but it's a bitch to run on anything that isn't XBox.

It actually runs great on my Steam Deck using an older version of proton. German low violence version seems to be incompatible but I got a refund and bought a key for the international version of the game. So far I've only had one crash in around 12 hours of gameplay.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
I love FO4s system, and the story is interesting enough even if it flubs the end.

Honestly I like it better than NV. NV takes to long to get going and I really hate the starter area.

FO3 is probably the best of the new series IMO.

Nov 8, 2017
As good as the Fallout show is, I feel like an Elder Scrolls show would be pretty dire. LOTR was lightning in a bottle. The latest D&D movie only succeeded critically because they leaned entirely into comedy and the comedy in ES games usually just comes from physics.

LOTR and Game of Thrones were cultural touchstones, House of the Dragon is big, The Witcher is big. Those are all in the same wheelhouse as Elder Scrolls, unlike stuff like Potter which was a mega hit but not the same sort of fantasy.

There have been some high budget duds also, but I think there's a few paths to success.

Ofc you need the quality to be there which will depend on how good the creative involved are.

Jul 30, 2023
The gameplay loop in Fallout 4 once you get out into the world was almost always a joy to me, and I think back fondly on my time with that game very often.

In terms of the modern games, it's definitely NV>4>3 to me, but I enjoy them all a bunch overall, and honestly they got me through some otherwise pretty empty times. Love to see them back in the limelight like this.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
LOTR and Game of Thrones were cultural touchstones, House of the Dragon is big, The Witcher is big. Those are all in the same wheelhouse as Elder Scrolls, unlike stuff like Potter which was a mega hit but not the same sort of fantasy.

There have been some high budget duds also, but I think there's a few paths to success.

Ofc you need the quality to be there which will depend on how good the creative involved are.
Game of Thrones really eased into the fantasy stuff though. It initially presented itself more as a grounded medieval drama with a few fantastical elements, like dragon eggs and some ice zombies. That's easier to swallow than cat and lizard people walking around tending bar in a tavern and wizards shooting lightning out of wands or something.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a mountain to climb compared to Fallout.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I was. I played them all. It still feels forced. Even more so now that's it's like a decade old lol.
I guess I don't understand why you think it feels forced then. A lot of people thought the main story was bad (especially towards the end), the RPG mechanics took a backseat to the looter shooter gameplay (which wasn't great anyway), the faction quests sucked, the radiant quests sucked, the graphics weren't great, the performance and bugs at launch were awful, a lot of people didn't like the hamfisted base building…I could go on.